that damned dvd rot

Discussion in 'General' started by nullman, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

*bump*

I tried to search for any info on Lionsgate blurays going tits-up, but didn't find anything. Please feel free to let me know if there is one.

I tried to watch my SAW II bluray (original stand-alone, not from any of the collective sets) and it won't read at all on my PS3, which is up to date. I tried to also play it on my REI region free player, which fared somewhat better but kept freezing up.

I've never heard of this kind of thing happening, aside from the Full Moon issue mentioned above.

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Yes, this is notorious of the early LionsGate blus. Basic Instinct, American Psycho, House Of 1000 Corpses, etc are among the common titles that crap out over time.

My Stir Of Echoes freezes and skips throughout the finale. It worked when I originally got it. Glad I hung onto my DVDs of those early LionsGate titles.

Katatonia likes this.
  3. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

FUCK. Thanks, Cap'n.

I guess I'm glad I got them on VUDU for a cheap price--I just worry about not having physical copies of stuff. Clearly, I need to just worry about ONLY having physical copies of stuff.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  4. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Yeah, my Lionsgate Monster Squad Blu stopped playing last year. So I had to rebuy the DVD which I originally traded in for the HD version.

Workshed and Katatonia like this.
  5. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

A few years ago I got King of New York from Lionsgate and it played fine when I got it but then just a few months later when I went to watch it again it was completely unreadable; tried it on 2 BD-RW drives and a BD player. After reading this thread I noticed my Stir of Echoes and Basic Instinct BDs had the same shiny, metallic spine as King of New York so I popped them in and they still played along with Total Recall, which has a similar spine. King of New York still doesn't work though and I notice now that this is the only one of the four not packaged in a Viva Elite case.

6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

:eek: Wow, I didn't know all these earlier Lionsgate titles were crapping out on people.

I just checked my Monster Squad Blu-ray and it loads and still plays with no apparent issues. I have yet to find another Blu-ray in my collection that's suffered actual rot and won;t play...besides the Puppet Master Blu-ray from Full Moon.

7. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Active Member

i've never bought a Lionsgate Blu-ray but i hope that blu's from other companies are futureproof

remembering from some years ago that certain electronics companies make their devices so that they break up after a certain amount of years, i surely hope that distributors don't have the same idea about their films to stimulate rebuying their stuff... ;)

8. CPT HOOK

For what it's worth, the other two companies that have notoriously had disc rot problems are:

Warner Brothers DVDs, specifically their dual-layered discs (as discussed here in the thread for The Hand). Apparently they used a crummy pressing plant called WAMO and a lot of their discs crap out over time. You'll especially find it in their TV season releases. I contacted them once and didn't even receive a reply, so I doubt they give a shit. They've started swapping out all their formerly pressed DVDs for burn-on-demand DVD-Rs now and I have to wonder if this is why.

Outside of my Stir Of Echoes blu-ray, my only disc issues have been Warner Bros DVDs.

Criterion blu-rays, but only some of their earliest releases. They too started with a crummy pressing plant to save money. The only difference is Criterion has addressed the issue and openly have a replacement program for the affected titles. So way to go, Criterion! If only other companies were as great as them!

More info on Criterion issue and replacement program: https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/3317-exchanging-defective-discs

9. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I read on Blu-ray.com that several people were having problems with the original My Bloody Valentine blu-ray. This thread reminds me I need to check that and Monster Squad out to see if mine are still good.

Katatonia likes this.
  10. Stige

Stige Active Member

My Saw 2 ( checking now) is hanging by a thin thread I see ( no.big loss). My bloody Valentine would be a bigger loss, guess I know What I'll be watching tonight....

11. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Thanks for the heads up everyone. I just backed up Basic Instinct and King of New York to be safe. American Psycho and the Saw films are next.

12. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I just checked my My Bloody Valentine blu-ray also and it appears to still load fine and advance through the film and extra okay.

Question... are the people who are saying their discs are rotting trying them in multiple players? Once in a while I get a new disc that won't play in one player, but will in another...even if the firmware is updated in the player.

13. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have two players from different brands (Insignia and Sony) and always check problem discs in both. Monster Squad was definitely a crapped out disc as neither player could find any information on it. Just five years earlier I watched the deleted scenes on the Insignia, so I know the disc worked at one time.

Katatonia likes this.
  14. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

My Jason Goes to He'll DVD stopped working. Disc looked fine but got to a certain point and would just skip and jump around. Totally unwatchable. Makes a cool coster though I guess.

I've only had one Bluray crap out on me. I forget the title now but I know the disc looked fine but wouldn't play in any player without constant skipping.

15. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Luckily I haven’t had any blu-rays crap out on me (yet). I just checked My Bloody Valentine and it’s no excpetion. I got it right when it went out of print — bought the store’s last copy — so it’s possible I got a later pressing.

Must say, considering how dodgy the quality was on a lot of early Lionsgate blu-rays, this one still holds up really really well. It’s a really high quality transfer with nice grain, colours and detail. I found myself just sitting there watching it for a bit before I realized I needed to just get on with my day lol.

~Matt

Zombie Dude and Steel76 like this.
  16. CPT HOOK

It would be devastating if the My Bloody Valentine discs started crapping out, especially with the rights back to Paramount.

hots4, Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  17. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I watched my disc about two months ago, and it played without any problems. But I think it's time to make a backup, just in case.

18. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Surely with it being OOP someone will re-release it sometime soon? I guess if the right are back with Paramount then it's pretty slim unless they licence it out to someone like Arrow or Shout.

Steel76 likes this.
  19. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

No problems with my MBV disc.

Matt89 likes this.
  20. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

We definitely need a region B release of the uncut version.
    Hopefully Arrow, 88 films or some other cult label will release it in the near future.
    It's my favorite slasher movie of all times, and it would be a huge loss if the disc rotted away.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    Zombie Dude likes this.