That "doggy" scene from Fulci's Lizard in a Woman's Skin

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Crystal Plumage, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

You know, the one with the dog vivisection:
    [​IMG]

I always wondered, in a movie where everything can be explained, why are there sliced dogs (half alive no less!) in a mental hospital that people "weren't supposed to see".

It was not a dream, like the swan from the painting was.
    Sure, it adds a nice gory shock to this strange and wonderful Giallo, but did it mean anything? Did I miss something?

I've seen enough Italian films to know that not everything you see has a meaning or is logical. Mostly it's just the opposite.

But in this quite serious Giallo this scene stands out and, to me, adds nothing to the story.

2. rhett

rhett Administrator

Yeah, I don't know, I just sort of pass it off as a crazy, inexplicable moment in a mostly surreal film. The scene is so effective I've never found a need to question it's existence. To be into horror films you need a very high suspension of disbelief anyway (Ghoulies are conjured in a toilet, right?) so really, we almost forfeit that right to nitpick incidental things like this. What a moment, though. I can think of little more that are more shocking than this one.

3. MacabreFilms

MacabreFilms New Member

I was wondering the exact same thing. It really comes out of nowhere, especially in such a well constructed and realistic (in giallo terms anyway), if not slightly surreal film. It's just so random. I think good ol' Fulci just wanted to throw in some shocking grue to spice things up. The film itself is pretty much a class act, even surprisingly Hitchcockian until that one scene.

4. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

Well apparently two guys named Freddy and Frank were suppose to take care of them, but then they started but then they started to wimper and pant. Freddy started to complain, but Frank told him to watch his tongue if he liked his job.

5. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

Righto, I think I found the (possible) answer! Last tuesday I rewatched "Lizard" through the Optimum release.
    I have reason to believe that the sliced up dogs are in fact a hallucination/ daydream.
    Sure, Mrs. Hammond wasn't supposed to enter the room, but there's no talk of what actually was inside the room.
    My guess is that she really saw one of her paintings come alive again, just like the dream she had about the swan.

Check out this scene (screengrab is enhanced a bit..) :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, what do you make of it? A crucified bird? Or perhaps a vivisected dog?
    Ya know, I can live with my explanation, and can rate this movie even higher now than I did! :D

6. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

:spit:

7. unclefred

unclefred New Member

Just a shock scene, and a good one, simply neurologiocal experimentation with animals. Not something you want a layman to witness. I think it was great scene such as this the that carried the film despite the sometimes dragging plot-line.