The 2012 Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 27, 2012.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I like to throw these in at 10PM on 9/30 just before October. I'm not one to watch aliens for Halloween but Orson Welles has made H.G. Wells' opus a must. I've lost my digital copy of WofW but fortunately my old trusty VHS was within easy reach.

The War of the Worlds (1953)

An interesting thing I picked up on was the amount of wastefulness and how much characters take things for granted. Characters throw away things that are half used, dig through other people's stuff and are not the least bit shy about it even at the beginning of the film. There's a certain level of greed that's ignored by the "better" characters which almost seems to come back and haunt them in the end when there's mass panic. It's a nice subtle build of these ideas and along with the general religious theme of the film drive home the notion that God has placed humans as caretakers of this Earth. On the flip side of this it makes you wonder how the Martians got to the point where they were in the film. Did they disown God? Did they waste their resources with greed? They killed a priest and blew up churches, etc. But one has to wonder if God really abandoned them by leaving them on such a spartan planet in the first place. Why should Earth have so much when Mars has so little? These are questions humans still wrestle with today and Mars is a very fitting stand in for the middle east in its own little ways.

Invader ZIM: Germs (2001)

I thought it might be fun to throw this in afterwards as the episode is all about ZIM's reaction to this film. What I really like about this episode is that there is a pair of goggles that lets ZIM see all the germs which they heavily use in the opening but by the end of the episode they mostly show his reactions to things without a POV shot which is really funny. A great episode that is far too short and really left me wanting more. But as I said before I stray always from aliens in October so we'll have to save ZIM for November after I burnout on pure horror.

My ideal plan is always to watch Vampira at midnight on October 1st but again my digital copy was without audio. Unfortunately my back up had similar issues when I streamed it so I'll have to dig out my original DVD-r on this and try it again tonight.

2. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I watched this for the first time about a month ago, and it's astonishing. the special effects and design are breathtaking, and there are some genuinely scary moments (like the scene where they hide in the cottage). i thought the religiosity of it was pretty hammy, but it didn't diminish my appreciation for it.

3. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

[​IMG]
    Movie #3, around 11:15 AM -
    Nightmares (1983 / directed by Joseph Sargent) - [​IMG]

Anthology film, four stories, they suck. Yadda yadda yadda.

The first one starts off with promise (the woman in her car doesn't feel like she can trust anyone), is predictable as all hell, and ends extremely abruptly with a moral twist. Next!

Emilio Estevez is an angsty teen who abuses his parents because he's obsessed (ala- Christine) with a video game which turns out to have its' own masterminding personality. Lame! Yawn. Kind of another moral twist. Next!

Lance Henriksen is a preacher who's lost his faith, flashbacks (with b.s. dialogue you've heard a million times before: "how can God allow so much suffering," eat me), predictable tragedy (he can't stop dying kids from dying, boo hoo), Duel monster truck chases him then vanishes: Sign From God, now his faith is restored. Hmmm: empty-headed and entirely insulting. Worst of the 4. Next!

Alien's Veronica Cartwright and The Thing '82's Richard Masur are husband and wife with rat infestation in their home. Now... this one's not your typical garbage. There actually seems to be a point here and it's not just childish moral hogwash. Not only is the monster rat attack really scary toward the climax but Masur and Cartwright actually have tapped into a serious American problem. He's literally domineering and controlling to the point of being a psychopath but he gives himself an excuse for it: money problems. But, his rants have a definite political slant to them. I've heard these arguments myself. THIS YEAR. Verbatim. The only thing missing is "I work for a living" (she doesn't have a job) and these arguments could be applied to the problem some people have with people on welfare, social security, or government assistance. The movie even establishes tensions at his job during the first breakfast scene. Well, anyway, then the rat attacks and... I was on the edge of my seat... THEN... the house goes Exorcist on us. That's right: the rat has supernatural powers.

Check, please!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  4. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Active Member

1st october

1.Dracula (1931)
    Watching this new blu-ray transfer is like seeing the film for the first time. Lugosi gives the perfect performance as the blood sucking count to which all others will be compared.
    In all a near perfect restoration bringing new life to this classic.

5. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

October 01 cont.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Bait (2012):
    The fx aren't anything spectacular, way too much bad cgi. The acting isn't particularly good, the dialogue can be pretty atrocious and it takes too long for things to start happening...but it's a movie about great white sharks trapped in a mall with a group of people after a tsunami has hit the coastline, so it gets points for that alone. Kind of disappointing but worth a watch if you like bad shark movies.

Severance (2006): One of my favourite October movies to watch. It's funny, it's gory at times, it's pretty much awesome!

6. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

10/01/12 Filmcount: 1

[​IMG]

Spawn: Director's Cut (1997)

Far from perfect but still entertaining enough. John Leguizamo definitely steals the show. Enjoyed those "ancient" late 90s CGI effects. 3.5/5

7. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Active Member

1st october

2.The Wolfman (1941)
    Another universal classic undergone an amazing restoration. The very first horror film i seen as a kid and still one of my favorites. lon Chaney Jr is the very likeable lead but it is Bela Lugosi as the gypsy Bela that as usual steals the show in his 5 or so minutes in this movie.

8. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 1st
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

1) ATM: An insipid, dull, and stupid slasher movie. The characters are boring and had SO many opportunities to escape it just became frustrating. Skip it! (4/10)

2) Silent House (2012): Not bad as far as remakes go. Elisabeth Olsen did an amazing job, and really kept me interested through out. But, much like the original film, this one didn't offer any particularly new or original to the table. It's really just your standard spook house film, for the most part. (6.5/10)

3) Piranha DD: UGH! Words can't describe how much I didn't like this movie. A boring premise, uninteresting characters, one too many subplots that led nowhere, and some of the most painfully unfunny comedy I've seen in a while. There is a lot of gore and nudity, but everything is really what drags this one down, not even the Hoff could save it. (4/10)

9. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

October 1st:

Return of the Living Dead Part II (1988)-8/10
    Chopping Mall (1986)-10/10
    Cold Prey II (2008)-9/10
    C.H.U.D. II; Bud the Chud (1989)-8/10

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  10. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

[​IMG]

October 1st

01. Murders in the Zoo (1933)

11. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Oct 1 - Stake Land

12. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

October 1st:

Masters of Horror: Joe Dante's Homecoming (2005)
    Undead (2003)
    Zombie (1979)
    Burial Ground: The Nights of Terror (1980)
    The Living Dead At The Manchester Morgue (1974)
    Hell of the Living Dead (1981)
    House of the Dead (2003)

13. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

October 01 cont.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Triangle (2009): I'm a fan of Christopher Smith's movies but for some reason hadn't gotten around to seeing this one. I really liked it! You may need to be a little bit patient with it, and at times it's a bit frustrating but in the end...well let's just say it worked for me, tho it left me feeling a little sad. Definitely a thinker, but nothing so heavy that it gets confusing.

Needed something a little light after watching Triangle so....

Venom (2005): 2000s slasher flick with a touch of voodoo thrown in. I keep thinking that I really like this movie but then every time I watch it is pretty standard stuff.

Total watched so far: 5

14. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I'd seen this long ago when it was first released on video, and didn't remember being all that impressed. However, it took me a while to develop an appreciation for anthology films, so i thought i'd give it another go. well, its still not a good movie, but it is, for some reason, very watchable. especially the first story, "Chattery Teeth". The characters and their back and forth dialogue as tensions mount in the van is fairly entertaining. of course, the weakest scene in this story is when the teeth actually attack - there's just no way to make it not look ridiculous. "The Body Politic", on the other hand (heh heh heh), is fairly poor. there are a few entertaining scenes of mayhem once the hands start to rebel, but Matt Frewer isn't much of a leading man, in my opinion. he gets better as he becomes more manic towards the end, but at the same time we have the terribly animated cgi-hands throughout the last half of this episode. There does happen to be a pretty decent high-fall stunt at the end, though - that's always nice to see.

in fact, the choice of stories is so bizarre, it almost makes me think Mick Garris chose them for this very reason - there's just no way to make these concepts cinematically frightening. they're just too silly-looking. i'll have to listen to his commentary sometime soon to see what his rationale was behind the film.

the wraparound stories with Christopher Lloyd are a mixed bag too. Lloyd seems to be having fun, but his orange hair and goth clothes (complete with leather choker) are almost as silly as attacking metal teeth and rebellious hands.

But still, I wasn't bored. It was entertaining. Just kind of in a bad way.

15. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

October 1

Chillerama (2011)
    [​IMG]

Just...no. I turned this one off at the "Deathication" segment. No thanks. I thought all the stories were juvenile and pretty terrible, despite a fun transition from the opening into the present day. Other than that? Unfortunate.

Hoping to salvage the night with an episode of Eerie, Indiana.

16. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

October 2nd

[​IMG]
    Movie #4, around 4:15 AM -
    Silent Night, Deadly Night Part 2 (1987 / directed by Lee Harry) - [​IMG]

Um...

I...

This movie...

is a work of genius.

I don't have a single complaint. Not. One. It was brilliant. Every scene was smart. Eric Freeman was terrible. And I loved every second of him. The filmmakers were trying to make a REALLY good movie and, by majority opinion, they failed by casting this guy. But... he's fucking hilarious. Every last second of him onscreen is wonderful. The Chip scenes are the only sections of the movie I couldn't read. But every other scene was perfect. They re-used clips from the first movie in a way that almost made me think it was a good movie. The movie theater scene also set-up a pre-Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer commentary on modern movie killers and serial killing right in the heart of America (even though this movie looks older, bright and sickeningly polished- which, again, I'm not complaining about). This thing was smart. It used sex both as a witting movie element (on movies) and more intelligently than the first film (in this case- I'm talking about the sex crime / moral judgment aspect in particular). It was highly unpredictable, sharp as a knife, expertly shot and edited, and fantastically entertaining. I had a smile on my face you could MEASURE. Along with Exorcist II, this is one of the funniest horror films I have ever seen in my life. I haven't had this much fun with a movie in a long time. I highly recommend it.

[​IMG]
    Movie #5, around 11:00 AM -
    Curtains (1983 / directed by Lee Harry) - [​IMG]

This would have made one excellent Tales from the Crypt episode. As a film, it starts and stays strong for almost 50 minutes. After that, it remains a pure tension machine for... no reason. To develop characters who are going to die? Not really- except for maybe 3 of the 6 women auditioning, you can't tell the difference between them. There are just 5 brunettes allowing themselves to be treated like shit by the world's leading sadist. John Vernon is so boring in this movie. Lynn Griffin is the only person worth liking (because her character isn't buying into the whole Game of Bitterness song and dance all but her and I think the garage victim - that's this movie's idea of character development - were playing) and I guess that alone should make the ending obvious. There's only one truly standout murder sequence. So, until the "seduce me with a mask" scene, it's Samantha Eggar's show. Then she basically disappears and... did anyone care whodunit? Awful ending too.

17. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Oct.1. The Devil's Advocate (Blu-Ray)-Great film that I had not re-visited since the theatrical run. It also looks and sounds awesome on Blu-Ray.
    Great performance by Pacino, one of my favorites alongside Serpico. Even Keanu was pretty good in this, and Charlize Theron looked stunning.
    I loved the unconventional blend of courtroom drama and supernatural horror. A minor criticism is that some of the CGI looks shitty, I was surprised to learn that both Baker and Bottin worked on this one.
    A solid 4/5.

18. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

October 1st

Phantoms (1998)

19. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Affleck was the bomb in that one, no?

20. cjg

cjg Active Member

Oct 1st - The Hole 2011