The 2012 Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Bit of a dilemma here. Last week, Netflix sent me a 4-movie disc of Italian crime flicks. Kinda taking up my time, as well as limiting what I can get sent to me. I think I might just marathon the remaining crime flicks so I can get that off my plate.

2. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Active Member

2nd october

3.The Mummy (1932)
    Another amazing restoration. This is how a horror film should be made, full of atmosphere and suspense and like the similarly themed dracula it is all about the performance of the lead that makes this film great, Boris Karloff turns in a memorable performance as good as his role as Frankenstein`s monster which is equally tragic and menacing.

3. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

SPAWNINGBLUE'S 2012 OCTOBER HORROR MOVIE WATCHING

Bold = first time viewing. Rating out of 10.

October
    The Evil Dead (1981) 8/10
    Jeepers Creepers (2001) 7.5/10
    Corpse Bride (2005) 5.5/10

Okay, here we go...

[​IMG]

The Evil Dead (1981) - I have always liked this film, but really starting to love it. Still probably my least favourite of the series, but it's a great series so that's not a bad thing. The comedy present in the rest of the series is absent here, instead delivering a bat shit crazy roller coaster ride of terror. Once the madness starts it realyl doesn't let up until the end, and even then.... Bruce Campbell isn't the charismatic lead we are used to but he plays frightened well enough as does the rest of the cast. The real stars of this film though are the chaotic camera movements and the gore spewed all over the room. Great movie to start the month off!

[​IMG]

Jeepers Creepers (2001) - I liked the film quite a bit when I first viewed it and nothing has really changed, I stand by that this is one of the best films of the past 12 years. Yes, it does lose a little of it's edge once the monster is fully revealed, but I think it is still very effective, just in a different way. The first half works at really building up the tension and mystery of it all. The truck is a monster on it's own, and I love the scene where you see the villain from afar dispose of some bodies down a pipe. The bottom of the church is a great set piece as well, and this all builds up to a very frightening movie. Unfortunately it loses all of that and becomes a different beast altogether once the monster reveals itself. It then turns into your standard chase and slash film. This is a disappointment after the great set up, but thankfully the monster has a great design, one of the best in recent times, and holds his own. Great film!

[​IMG]

Corpse Bride (2005) - I will say this right now. I am not really a fan of any Disney animation or CGI movies, and until Coraline stop motion didn't do much for me either. After Coraline though and a making of doc. showing all the work that went into creating such films, I grew a real appreciation and liking for stop motion animation. I went back and gave Nightmare Before Christmas another viewing and was mesmerized how good it was. A great story, beautiful and creative set/ character design, and the songs (Another genre I'm not a fan of, musicals!) were good for the most part. That is why I was actually kind of looking forward to checking this one out. Unfortunately it was just okay. It was boring for the most part, the songs didn't do anything for me, and the character and set designs were kind of bland. It's wasn't unwatchable or anything, but coming off of Coraline and Nightmare Before Christmas it was a big disappointment.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  4. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 2nd
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4) The Corridor: A fun, disturbing and bloody good time. Even with its small budget, the horror/sci-fi blend is handled well and convincingly. My only major grip would have to be the ending which left me a bit cold. (7/10)

5) Lovely Molly: Really loved this one. Eduardo did a great job with the psychological element, making me constantly question whether or not it was a supernatural force, or all in her head. The subject matter here is very dark and depression, and it all really got under my skin. The ending is very ambiguous, but it made this truly worth while experience. MUST SEE! (8/10)

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

[​IMG]
    Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Atomic Brain ( Monstrosity ) (1963)

I'm not even sure why that girl screamed in that scene...

Anyways I feel a little dirty that the first MST I threw in was a Mike episode and not a Joel. I'm not a Mike hater by any means but when it's October I'm a bit of a purist for the originals especially when it's the first of the series. This film is joyfully bizarre with its overtly lesbian creep scenes and countless brain swaps with animals. That a black cat would become a vindictive villain dedicating its life to the destruction of another human is superbly madcap. The riffing on this one isn't great but the skits are much better than they usually are and Dr. Fist is one of favorite bits I occasionally perform myself. (The Rhino DVD is missing the stinger at the end while the Shout re-issue reportedly includes it. One more thing to temp a completest like me.)

[​IMG]
    Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Unearthly (1957)

Somewhat slow going but John Carradine gives a more vigorous performance then we're normally use to here, Tor Johnson's character is called Lobo which is a nice nod to Bride of the Monster and Allison Hayes is smoking hot as usual. The riffing MST3k gives Tor is hysterical and my favorite is when he calls the dog "kitty." I laugh way to much at that one. Feels good to have Joel and the bots here with me for October.

6. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

First time viewing of "The Tenderness of Wolves"

Attached Files:

7. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Yeah I have a similar problem. I've been trying to watch all the Oscar winning films and have two sitting here that I got from Zip.ca that I really need to watch so I can get more movies sent to me, but I try to only watch horror in October. Guess I'll have to wait for the weekend and watch them amidst the blood and gore. Bad part is they're pretty long movies too.

8. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

[​IMG]

October 1st

01. Murders in the Zoo (1933)

October 2nd

01. The Strange Case of Dr.Rx (1942)

9. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

October 2nd:

Shaun of the Dead (2004)
    Zombieland (2009)
    Dead Alive (1992)
    Robert Rodriguez's Planet Terror (2007)
    The Return of the Living Dead (1985)
    Return of the Living Dead Part II (1988)
    Return of the Living Dead 3 (1993)
    Wild Zero (1999)

10. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

[​IMG]
    Movie #6, around 6:00 PM -
    Night of the Demons (1988 / directed by Kevin Tenney) - [​IMG]

Wow... Trick 'R Treat has an 80's equivalent. And it's only mere fractions more tolerable. If you're in love with pointless, entirely funless (and fearless) movies that gladly insult your intelligence and have nothing to offer except one redeeming song (Bauhaus- who's shocked?), some quality dancing choreography (Mimi/Amelia Kinkade, you dance alone), and a little decent mood pissed away on some of the most annoying "characters" this side of Cheerleader Camp, this pile of colon-scoop is for you. However, Satan help me, it is slightly better than Camp too. Now that I've said that (given how truly awful this was), I'm going to go wash my hands off with the nearest blue liquid I can find. Watch Killer Party instead. It's not good either but compared to this- you won't regret the wasted 90 minutes.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  11. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

October 1st-

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I decided to kick October off with some Amityville Horrors. I started with the cool bonus disc from the box set and then the original Amityville film. Up next is my favorite one of the series.

12. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

October 2:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sector 7: I did not like this. I tried watching it in 3D but it wasn't worth it. About 90% of the movie seemed to be cgi and badly done cgi at that and I found most of the movie to be quite boring. I never connected with any of the characters or with anything that was happening.

Creature: Kind of a mess of a movie and not really that much gore (despite what the cover says), but still fun enough to keep me watching.

The Hills Have Eyes Part 2: Okay there's a lot of flashbacks to part 1 but the original stuff is a pretty fun mutants/slasher flick. Always had a soft spot for this one.

Total watched so far: 8

13. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

[​IMG]
    Movie #7, around 8:00 PM -
    Night of the Demons 2 (1994 / directed by Brian Trenchard-Smith) - [​IMG]

Damn you, sequel! You had so much potential!! Right from minute 1, this thing is cooking- the prologue is incredible: smart camerawork, sharp editing, amusing (if stupid) characters acting out a very critical view of religion. By movie's end? Throw all that out the window. The tyrannical, full-of-shit Sister Gloria who's been nothing short of a silly antagonist for the first hour suddenly becomes an "I kick ass for the lord" hero with ninja skills... This is a classic conflict of interest. Teen sexuality and religion are not shown as a healthy mix here, so eventually the movie begins unwittingly demonizing sexuality and praising the sister's brainless, judgmental view of Godful living. If you have any fun, prepare to die, get the shit beaten out of you, or turn into a demon (only one of which is exorcised and gets to rejoin the cast of the living- future Marcia Brady, Christine Taylor). Also... did we really need all those stupid one-liners? No. We didn't need any of them. Ug. However, the first hour works quite well. The cast is excellent, some of the effects are good, the characters actually have a little development to them. And, since the sister was the bad guy and the movie gave us a good Priest to balance out her judgmentality (I don't care if that's a real word or not, I'm using it)- religion wasn't totally disrespected. But given how reasonable his character was and the lengths to which the movie goes to show how wrong and stupid he is- Good Religion never stood a chance.

14. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

October 2:
    A Nightmare on Elm Street - 1984 (blu)

15. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Shame on you - this is a fun classic from the 80's - shame shame shame on you! (okay maybe a semi-classic from the 80's <: )

16. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

Halloween (1978-TV ver.)

[​IMG]

17. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Member

October 2 - Sector 7, The Traveller, 30 Days of Night

18. Undeadcow

Undeadcow New Member

September 30
    1. Kuroneko (1968, 99 minutes) 4/10 - Kuroneko was a lot sillier than I expected but atmospheric and although enjoyable was inconsistent including some slapstick cheesiness mixed with musings about samurai philosophy, chivalry, and family. Supernatural elements were set-up then dropped and things over explained at times.[Online streaming, Hulu Plus][/color]
    2. The Birds (1963, 119 minutes) 6/10 - gets off to a slow start, but the silent menacing birds are eerie around mid-point paying off with good tension and great imagery but ultimately disappointing due to pacing and unsatisfying close. [DVD, personal collection]

October 1
    3. Vamp (1986, 93 minutes) 6/10 - cheap fun, pretty tame for a strip club vampire movie but some cool bloodsuckers and a modern buddy comedy spin. , [Blu-ray, personal collection]
    4. House of a 1000 Corpses (2003, 89 minutes) 5.5/10 - at times inventive but other times too strained to be shocking but comes across as awkward. It gets intense, good but not great. [Blu-ray, personal collection]
    5. Murder Party (2007, 80 minutes) 8/10 - smart, funny, and chaotic fitting an albeit under-appreciated modern horror classic. Murder Party was a great intro to the challenge with good energy, clever set-up, and tons of gore. [DVD, personal collection]
    6. The Manitou (1978, 104 minutes) 7/10 - simultaneously horrible and amazing in part because of how unashamed it approaches the evil native american tumor source material. Tony Curtis is great in The Manitou and it ends up being the most abstract absurd film yet this challenge. [DVD, personal collection]

October 2
    7. Gutterballs (2008, 96 minutes) 6/10 - a mean spirited low brow horror slasher comedy that is hard to recommend but I enjoyed its explicit over the top tongue in cheek humor. [DVD, personal collection]
    8. Two Thousand Maniacs! (1964, 87 minutes) 7/10 - more transparent and therefore ironic than I expected with some comedic southern stereotypes. The muted colors and worn look give a nice presentation. Superior to the remake. , [Blu-Ray, personal collection]
    9. Blood Feast (1963, 67 minutes) 5.5/10 - By reputation I imagined this was a pointless gorefest but despite some overacting it's played more seriously than I'd have expected with police procedural elements. The off color bright gore is dated so more time-capsule interesting than gross. It is mildly annoying that pivotal plot points are just resolve at times. [Blu-Ray, personal collection]
    10. Mill of the Stone Women [Uncut European Version] (1960, 96 minutes) 8/10 - Subtle suspenseful build up with good set design and direction that is artfully crafted and chilling., [DVD, personal collection]
    11. The Last Lovecraft: Relic of Cthulhu (2009, 79 minutes) 4/10 - excellent premise but overly silly awkward humor and some aspects that seem cloned from better projects; too much teen comedy, too little lovecraftian horror. There's as much reference to fish rape as Lovecraft and horror elements feel downplayed at times but it's a clever and ambitious plot when not cheapened. [DVD, personal collection]
    12. Brainiac [aka Baron of Terror] (1962, 77 minutes) 3.5/10 - cheesy monster movie that has an interesting set-up then flounders with slow pacing despite it's short run time. Potentially cool monster is under utilized, perhaps to it's benefit due to obviously fake effects, and there are glaring plot holes., [DVD, personal collection]
    13. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948, 83 minutes) 8.5/10 - The mix of straight horror elements and slapstick comedy work well together and feel like 2 films staggering back and forth in a way respectful to the horror monster theme while still being Abbott and Costello centered. Nicely done. The blu-ray looks good. [Blu-ray, personal collection]

19. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

10/02/12 Filmcount: 2

[​IMG]

Gremlins 2: The New Batch (1990)

Silly and self-ware, missing charm and atmosphere from part 1. Still entertaining with lots of fun movie references. 4/5

20. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

Apartment 143

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]