The 2012 Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Just arrived from Netflix, and I've never seen it before. Probably won't get to it for a week and a half, but I'm glad it's so highly rated.

Hammer Horror, topless Asian chicks, and kung-fu. If they could have figured out a way to have beer come out of the DVD case, I think it would satisfy everything I love in life.

2. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

Oct 30
    London After Midnight
    House Of Dark Shadows
    Burnt Offerings
    Plan 9 From Outer Space

3. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

The Halloween Tree
    It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown
    Creepshow
    Tales From The Darkside
    Trick R Treat

4. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

October 31st...

Halloween (1978)
    [​IMG]

and Halloween II (1981)
    [​IMG]

Though I've watched both many times, this is the first time I've watched them back to back. They still pack a wallop - the scary classic and its worthy sequel.

5. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

October 31st:

Re-Animator (1985)
    Carrie (1976)
    The Exorcist (1973)
    Stephen King's Pet Sematary (1989)
    Psycho (1960)
    The Shining (1980)
    Halloween (1978)

TOTAL MOVIES WATCHED: 190

That was fun. I was able to watch 51 more this year. I can't wait for next year's thread. Happy Halloween!

6. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Oct 31 -
    Halloween (1978) Television version on dvd
    Halloween II (blu)
    Halloween III (blu)

7. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

happy halloween!!!!

I had this big plan of all these movies I was going to watch but I actually wasn't feeling too good today and ended up falling asleep around 6:30 p.m. I just woke up, it's 10:30 and am feeling a bit better and am hoping to cram a couple more flicks in for the night.

8. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

October 31:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Total movies watched: 118
    First time viewings: 67

Top Ten First Time Views:

10. Frostbite
    9. The Signal
    8. Wild Beasts
    7. Paranormal Activity 3
    6. Triangle
    5. Phenomena
    4. House Of The Devil
    3. The Wicker Man
    2. The Haunting
    1. Attack The Block

A few less than I usually get through but still a crap load of horror! Thanks everyone!!

9. thrashard76

thrashard76 Thrash or be Thrashed

31st - Psycho (1960 - DVD)
    31st - House On Haunted Hill (1959 - DVD)
    31st - Evil Dead II (1987 - DVD)
    31st - Night Of The Demons (1988 - DVD)
    31st - Trick 'r Treat (2007 - Blu-ray)
    31st - Donnie Darko (2001 - DVD)

10. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

31 (44) ~ The Frighteners [Director's Cut] (1996) 4.5/5 BD
    31 (45) ~ The Exorcist [Extended Director's Cut] (1973) 5/5 BD
    31 (46) ~ House of Dark Shadows (1970) 4/5 BD

Since I was hosting a October Horror Movie Watching Thread at another forum I hardly had the time to post in this one. Still a fun month with lots of good movies watched. Looking forward to next year :)

11. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

2012 total = 45 (not including TV shows not commentary tracks)

** = first time viewing
    10/01 - Elvira, Mistress of the Dark (1988) 6/10 **
    10/02 - Frankenstein (1931) **
    10/03 - The Bride of Frankenstein (1935) **
    10/04 - The Curse of Frankenstein (1957) 7/10 **
    10/05 - The Exorcist [Theatrical Version] (1973) **
    10/06 - The Exorcist 2: Heretic [Full 117 Minute Version] (1977) 1/10 **
    10/06 - The XXXorcist (2006) 6/10 **
    10/07 - The Dwelling (1993) 5/10 **
    10/08 - Innocent Prey (1984) 4/10 **
    10/09 – The Cabin in the Woods (2011) 9/10 **
    10/10 – Dracula (1931) **
    10/11 – The Horror of Dracula (1958) 4/10 **
    10/12 - The Devil Within Her (Beyond the Door) (1974) 1/10 **
    10/13 - The Exorcist 3 (1990) 8/10 **
    10/14 - The Hitchhiker: The Miracle of Alice Ames (1989) 6/10 **
    10/14 - The Hitchhiker: Ghostwriter (1986) 6/10 **
    10/14 - The Hitchhiker: Man's Best Friend (1985) 6/10 **
    10/15 - Porkchop (2010) 5/10 **
    10/15 - Porkchop II: Rise of the Rind (2011) 3/10 **
    10/16 - The Devil's Rock (2011) 8/10 **
    10/17 - The Vampire Lovers (1970) 6/10 **
    10/18 - Lust for a Vampire (1971) 3/10 **
    10/19 - Twins of Evil (1971) 6/10 **
    10/19 - Exorcist: The Beginning (2004) 7/10 **
    10/20 - Malabimba [Unrated] (1979) 5/10 **
    10/20 - Elvira's Movie Macabre: Frankenstein's Castle of Freaks (1974) 6/10 **
    10/21 - Masters of Horror S1: Dreams in the Witch House (2005) 6/10 **
    10/21 - Masters of Horror S1: The Fair Haired Child (2006) 5/10 **
    10/21 - Masters of Horror S1: Jenifer (2005) 6/10 **
    10/21 - Possession: Until Death Do You Part (Possession) (1987) 5/10 **
    10/22 - Sledgehammer (1983) 3/10 **
    10/22 - House of Whipcord (1974) 1/10 **
    10/23 - Elvira's Movie Macabre: The Satanic Rites of Dracula (1973) 2/10 **
    10/23 - The Revenge of Frankenstein (1958) 4/10 **
    10/24 - Frankenstein Created Woman (1967) 5/10 **
    10/25 - Bonnie & Clyde vs. Dracula (2008) 5/10 **
    10/25 - Girls Gone Dead (2012) 7/10 **
    10/26 - Murder Party (2007) 5/10 **
    10/26 - Burial Ground: The Nights of Terror (1981) 7/10 **
    10/27 - Alucarda (1977) 4/10 **
    10/27 - Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist (2005) 0/10 **
    10/28 - Sorority House Massacre (1986) 5/10 **
    10/28 - Sorority House Massacre II (1990) 8/10
    10/28 - Hard to Die (1990) 6/10 **
    10/29 - The Mummy (1932) **
    10/29 - The Mummy (1959) 5/10 **
    10/29 - The Devil Inside Her (1977) 8/10 **
    10/30 - Midnight (1989) 1/10 **
    10/30 - Blackenstein (1973) 4/10 **
    10/31 - Filmgore (1983) **
    10/31 - Elvira's Haunted Hills (2001) 5/10 **

[​IMG]

Midnight (1989) 1/10 **
    The sultry midnight, late-night horror movie hostess, has the highest rated show on TV. Mr. B is scheming to steal the rights to the show. This horror-comedy is neither funny or spooky. Lynn Redgrave is obnoxious as an Elvira wannbe. The film has some decent 80’s music and style but it’s not worth the time. During the final 30 minutes I couldn’t shake the thought of how fun this film could have been in the hands of Jim Wynorski or Fred Olen Ray with Michelle Bauer or Traci Lords in the lead.

[​IMG]

Blackenstein (1973) 4/10 **
    Eddie is a Vietnam veteran who loses his arms and legs when he steps on a land mine, but a brilliant surgeon is able to attach new limbs. This blaxploitation retelling of Frankenstein has many of the moments I was hoping for. The science behind Dr Stien and his DNA injections is a hoot. Unfortunately, the pacing is interminably slow.

[​IMG]

Filmgore (1983) **
    Clip show of classic gore flicks hosted by Elvira. The first ten minute montage and Elvira’s intro made for a fun Halloween treat. It’s not worth watching once the abbreviated films start. It’s not Elivra’s best stuff but she looks great.

[​IMG]

Elvira's Haunted Hills (2001) 5/10 **
    Set back in 1851 in the Carpathia Mountains of Romania, Elvira the Mistress of the Dark" en route to Paris with her maidservant Zou Zou for a can-can revue, stop for the night at a haunted castle. I really enjoyed parts of this film. It’s stupid and fun. If I had seen THE PIT AND THE PENDULUM or HOUSE OF USHER I am certain I would have enjoyed it more. I just adore Elvira.

12. Rft183

Rft183 Member

I finished off October with Mario Bava's Black Sunday. Pretty decent flick, and my wife actually watched it with me! She's not a big horror fan, so that's quite an accomplishment.

13. cjg

cjg Active Member

Oct 31- Halloween H20
    Truth Or Die
    Excorcisim

14. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Oct.31. Halloween (1978). 4.5/5.

15. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

Here is my final tally for October..

1) THE MIDNIGHT HOUR
    2) THE REVENANT
    3) A BUCKET OF BLOOD (1959)
    4) SCARY OR DIE
    5) WELCOME TO SPRING BREAK
    6) LOVELY MOLLY
    7) PARASITIC
    8) HATCHET FOR THE HONEYMOON
    9) GHOULIES 3
    10) 976-EVIL 2
    11) THE UNINVITED (2008)
    12) PUMPKINHEAD 2
    13) MOMMY
    14) WISHMASTER 2
    15) THE BLEEDING HOUSE
    16) LEPRECHAUN 2
    17) AND SOON THE DARKNESS (2010)
    18) VANISHING ON 7TH STREET
    19) FUNERAL HOME
    20) SHOCK WAVES
    21) FROM DUSK TILL DAWN 3
    22) LO
    23) FADE TO BLACK
    24) NIGHTMARES (1983)
    25) THE CHILD
    26) THE GODSEND
    27) HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
    28) HALLOWEEN 2 (1981)
    29) CEMETERY HIGH
    30) ETERNAL EVIL
    31) THE VIDEO DEAD
    32) SPECTERS
    33) P
    34) HALLOWEEN 3
    35) DRACULA (1931)

16. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

October 30th

[​IMG]
    October Madness #50: House of 1000 Corpses (2002)
    Rating: ★★★★

Two couples get stranded on a rainy night after searching for the infamous hanging tree of local legend Doctor Satan. When they get a tow back to the Firefly family residence to have their tire fixed they become sacrifices at the hands of the twisted family on this Halloween Eve.

Rob Zombie gives the audience no time to strap in as House of 1000 Corpses is as close to a carnival ride of a horror movie as you can get. Gorgeously coloured midway-esque lighting and freakshow set designs give the film a fun yet sinister vibe throughout, and Zombie doesn't let up as the film progresses deeper and deeper into darker places. With stark violence and bat-shit scary characters all played to their fullest be genre greats the likes of Sid Haig, Bill Moseley, and Karen Black, House is a trip through hell with murder, mayhem, and all sorts of great horror imagery. The story might be a bit weak overall, but everything culminates into a fear-filled fever dream that will leave your pulse racing after you've exited Captain Spaulding's Murder Ride!

[​IMG]
    October Madness #51: Horror (2002)
    Rating: NO STARS!

After killing a security guard and stealing a bag full of candy and magic mushrooms, Lucky and his friends, who are all wearing jump suits and ID badges for no explanation, take off in a van and head to a mysterious house in a rural area where a Reverend, his wife, and their drugged up daughter live. Here people will be visited by goats, the Amazing Kreskin will perform his mentalist routine, ghosts and zombies attack, and a whole lot of 'what the hell is going on in this movie?' until the end... where
    it all comes full circle.

And by full circle I mean that Horror is about a group of looney bin patients who steal a bag of magic mushrooms and candy that was randomly in the institution elevator... and they are tripping balls the entire movie or in some kind of hell, or I just don't know... That's really all that happens in the movie and that I could figure out what the point of anything was. Horror is poorly directed by Dante Tomaselli who's characters are less than one-dimensional with no motives or the ability to speak dialogue that doesn't sound stilted or directly off the page. The story manages to jump around constantly with characters being dead in one scene, and back alive in the next, to confuse the audience even more if the characters on screen are tripping out or not, and no one has any right to be anywhere in this movie at any time. Zombies attack for no reason, there's a religious subplot involving Satanism or something, one member of the loonies hallucinates that he's frozen after eating mushrooms that does not come up again later. Everything in this movie is a waste of time and film, and at 77 minutes that's over an hour of my life I can't have back. Horror is a horrible movie experience that should be absolutely avoided. Hack filmmaking on every level.

[​IMG]
    October Madness #52: Idle Hands (1999)
    Rating: ★★★★½

Anton is your average stoner. Smoking pot, watching TV, chilling with his buds, that's all he does. And he's oblivious to the fact that someone has been slicing and dicing the people of his town and now this Halloween he discovers his parents are dead! With the help of his stoner friends Mick and Pnub they find out it was actually Anton who has been doing everyone's bidding and that his hand is possessed! Idle hands are the devil's playground after all. So after killing his friends, who return as zombies, Anton lops off his possessed hand which is now set loose on the Halloween school dance! Can they save the day, and can the stoner get the girl next door?

Idle Hands is a perfect blend of comedy, horror, and camp that plays well to the spirit of Halloween. Blood deaths, some genuine scares, glimpses of Halloween favourites like the Chiller animation and Dawn of the Dead, and some truly likeable characters who provide actual comic relief and appear to be having a lot of fun in the roles. Devon Sawa is actually a lot better here than given credit where his possessed hand actually feels like there are two people acting when it's still attached. Rodman Flender keeps the energy going for the entire run time and despite it's dated and horrible soundtrack, Idle Hands is kind of a punk rock Halloween classic in it's tone and atmosphere. Unlike it's characters, it's not a lazy film at all and stands up to being a refreshing, fun, and a helluva lot smarter than it has any right to be. An annual Halloween favourite and a film that keeps growing on me after every watch.

17. MorallySound

I too watched Midnight this month, first viewing of course as well as my last. Agree 100%. Absolute dreck and Lynn Redgrave is all kinds of annoying. Now that you mention it, yes, this would have been a perfect vehicle in the hands of Wynorski or Olen Ray.

18. MorallySound

October 31st

[​IMG]
    October Madness #53: The Exorcist (Original Theatrical Cut) (1973)
    Rating: ★★★★★

In the throws of doubting his faith and battling the loss of his mother, a Georgetown priest comes across a case of demonic possession that has taken over a 12-year girl, the daughter of a visiting actress shooting a movie there. Now faced with a whole new religious battle, he and an older priest familiar with the rites of exorcism will try to banish the demon and save the girl.

William Friedkin's masterful adaptation of William Peter Blatty's The Exorcist is an astoundingly beautiful, fragile, and absolutely terrifying story of testing faith and last hopes. Jason Miller's Father Karras is a man lost within himself, a priest who's specialty is psychology which has in turn tested his faith and asked him to look deeper into himself for questions he can't find the answers for. Ellen Burstyn as the tattered mother who's only real family is her daughter, now lost to an unknown force, is both heartbreaking and strong as she looks outside herself to find the answers to her questions no matter how outside her own moral beliefs. Linda Blair in her breakout performance is both innocent and terrifyingly malevolent as Regan, the girl possessed. It could have gone campy and humourous, but Blairs dedication to her role transcends fear and drives the elements of the film to a collective tour de force. Friendkin keeps everything grounded in reality, with the human drama unfolding and hitting like a hammer so that when the elements of horror come around that the stunning effect of those set-pieces seeps into your every pour creating a truly uncomfortable experience that pays off successfully. The Exorcist is a true masterpiece with real human characters, emotions, dialogue, and challenges it's audience and is indeed still one of the scariest films ever made.

[​IMG]
    October Madness #54: Ernest Scared Stupid (1991)
    Rating: ★★★★★

Long ago in Briarville, Missouri a terrible troll terrorized the townsfolk's children. Finally captured and buried beneath a tree, the curse would remain unbroken until a decedent of the Worrell family would accidentally set him free. A couple of school kids enlist town garbage man and all-around goofball Ernest P. Worrell (Jim Varney) to help them build a tree fort to ward off some local school bullies. But upon completion of building the tree fort Ernest accidentally summons Trantor from his imprisoned slumber, and now the evil troll must capture five of the town's children before midnight on Halloween to resurrect his evil troll race. Now it's up to the dimwitted Ernest and his sidekick dog Rimshot, under the guidance of Old Lady Hackmore (Eartha Kitt), to stop Trantor before it's too late and all of the town's children are turned into wooden figurines!

Ernest Scared Stupid is a great mix of wholesome family fun and Halloween scares. Charles Gale and Coke Sams script puts Ernest up against a very gooey group of trolls in the best of all the Ernest movies. Featuring some great writing and the often hilarious Jim Varney hamming it up, Ernest Scared Stupid never fails to consistently entertain. Whether you're laughing at Ernest's ineptness or being grossed out by the slimy and booger-encrusted Trantor, Ernest Scared Stupid succeeds at being a great horror film for the whole family. The troll effects are fantastically disgusting and gooey, created by none other than the Chiodo Brothers whom were responsible for the cult classic Killer Klowns from Outer Space.

For a family-geared film Ernest Scared Stupid has a great blend of horror and comedy and has just the right amount of scares and laughs to initiate the young and entertain the old. Oozing with Halloween spirit, Ernest Scared Stupid will take you back to that feeling of childhood fun digging into your pillowcase for your favourite treat. So take off that mask, curl up in front of the TV, and get glued to the perfect Halloween film where you know you're in for a treat, not a trick, when classics like The Brain from Planet Arous and The Hideous Sun Demon appear during the opening credits. Ernest Scared Stupid is silly Halloween fun full of chills and thrills for the everyone and for me an annual Halloween tradition.

[​IMG]
    October Madness #55: Halloween Night (aka Hack-O-Lantern) (1988)
    Rating: ★★★

Young Tommy gets a pumpkin to carve from his Grandpa who also seems to have a prophecy for young Tommy - that he is the Devil's son! Turns out Gramps is in some kind of Satanic cult! Cut to 20 years later and Tommy is all grown up and brooding, and it's Halloween again and soon people are dying left and right! Who's doing the slaughtering and will anyone survive Halloween Night!?

Endlessly entertaining mash of Halloween frights, slasher horror, Satanic cults led by old men, and a kick ass music video/nightmare fever dream featuring the song "Devil's Son" by D.C. LaCroix. Awesome! While it's pretty terrible, it's terribly good! Featuring scenes of young couples getting dirty on top of graves, an out of place and unfunny stand up routine, some naked ladies, and a whole lot of other awesome moments! So grab a handful of candy corn, pop in this VHS, and carve yourself a 'Hack-O-Lantern' and enjoy Halloween Night!

Total watched: 55
    Total first time views: 40

19. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

leading up to Halloween I watched The Return of the Living Dead and Return of the Living Dead Part II. The first one was phenomenal, better than I remembered. It's a perfect blend of horror and comedy, and Thom Mathews and James Karen really steal the show (well, appart from when Linnea Quigley is onscreen). Part II I'd seen once before, and hadn't been too impressed. But upon second viewing, with expectations more realistic, I enjoyed it well enough. Mathews and Karen are again, pretty funny, although not nearly as much so as in the first. I've never seen the film with the "correct" score, so I didn't notice anything exactly "wrong" with the movie. But afterwards I chose a few scenes and flipped back and forth between the french and english tracks, and yeah, I immediately found the score on the french track to be preferable. In his commentary Ken Wiederhorn mentions having two scores for the film. He disliked the first so much that he had a second recorded and replaced the first. From what I had read, I was under the impression that the "new" score was one that had no direct connection to the film, and that that's why it was so bad. That doesn't appear to be the case, as both scores seem to correspond to what's going on onscreen. I'm just curious, though, which one is which? It seems likely that the score on the english track is the innitial score rejected by Wiederhorn. Had the other score been included on another english audio track, this would have actually made for a very interesting supplement. Ironic.

I was planning on watching Return of the Living Dead 3 last night for Halloween, but elected instead to watch The World is not Enough with my wife to further my James Bond marathon while we passed out candy. It was a good night, if a little wet. Guess I can blame that on Hurricane Sandy.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  20. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

October 31st
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10/4-Humanoids From The Deep (1980)
    10/5-Twins Of Evil (1971)
    10/6-The Fly (1986)
    10/9-The Hills Run Red (2009)
    10/13-Murder Party (2007)
    10/14-The Evil Dead (1981)
    10/15-Father's Day (2011)
    10/16-Evil Dead II (1987)
    10/17-ChromeSkull: Laid to Rest 2 (2011)
    10/18-Class of Nuke 'Em High (1986)
    10/19-The Cabin In The Woods (2011)
    10/21-Dracula (1931)
    10/23-Home Movie (2008)
    10/24-Dracula (1931) Spanish version
    10/25-Frankenstein (1931)
    10/25-The Cremator (1969)
    10/26-The Mummy (1932)
    10/27-The Invisible Man (1933)
    10/28-The Bride Of Frankenstein (1935)
    10/29-The Wolf Man (1941)
    10/31-Halloween (1978)
    10/31-Halloween II (1981)
    10/31-Halloween III: Season Of The Witch (1982)

total= 23