The 2012 Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Hope your son feels better soon.

2. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

October 4th:

Big Bad Wolf (2007)
    Stephen King's Silver Bullet (1985)
    Ginger Snaps (2000)
    The Howling (1980)
    An American Werewolf In London (1981)

3. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

she's a little girl, but thanks just the same ;)

4. Anthropophagus

Damn, nice line-up, check out Bad Moon Rising if you get the chance.

5. Anthropophagus

Misread, sorry, tired from work.
    I hope she's back on her feet and feeling great soon.

6. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

** = first time viewing
    10/01 - Elvira, Mistress of the Dark (1988) 6/10 **
    10/02 - Frankenstein (1931) **
    10/03 - The Bride of Frankenstein (1935) **

[​IMG]

Elvira, Mistress of the Dark (1988) 6/10 **
    Elvira and her breasts head for the uptight New England town of Falwell to claim her inheritance of a haunted house...hilarity ensues. MISTRESS OF THE DARK is 90 minutes of Elvira exactly how she is on her TV show, Movie Macabre. It's well written, charming and genuinely funny. It rarely goes more than a minute without a display of Elvira’s wit or glorious cleavage. I was thoroughly entertained from beginning to end. My fingers are crossed in hopes for a Shout Factory Blu-ray re-release with Elvira commentary track.

[​IMG]

Frankenstein (1931) **
    This is the first classic Universal Monsters film I’ve seen (unless watching WEIRD SCIENCE a hundred times gives me credit for BRIDE OF FRANKENSTIEN). It is stunning in HD. The highlight of the film for me was Colin Clive’s mad Dr. Frankenstein. Baron Frankenstein was a treat as well. I don’t have much experience with 1930’s cinema which might explain why I was a bit surprised by how tame the film is. I’m not Frankenstein expert either, but I expected a bit more of a “misunderstood, gentle giant” angle. As it stands the ending left me with more of a “man created a monster, we killed it, let’s drink wine, ha ha ha”. That said, I enjoyed it.

I watched it with my 5-year-old. He really liked it. When the Monster was lurking around the little girl and later around Elizabeth, he lifted his knees to his chest, covered his eyes and said “I can’t look!” I don't want to turn my son into a horror hound, but he really gets excited when I show him stuff that's supposed to be spooky.

I am going to enjoy working my way through this set and seeing the foundation of all of these cultural icons. The packaging is great as well. The booklet is much nicer than I expected.

[​IMG]

The Bride of Frankenstein (1935) **
    So there’s the “misunderstood, gentle giant” I was expecting in the original. I wasn’t prepared for a comedy so the first 40 minutes left me a bit cold. There were too many silly characters and moments for my taste. However I did enjoy the final 20 minutes with the dueling mad scientists. It looks fantastic on blu-ray. What an awesome chin dimple.

7. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

[​IMG]

October 1st

01. Murders in the Zoo (1933)

October 2nd

02. The Strange Case of Dr.Rx (1942)

October 3rd

03. Calling Dr. Death (1943)

October 4th

04. Weird Woman (1944)

8. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

SPAWNINGBLUE'S 2012 OCTOBER HORROR MOVIE WATCHING

Bold = first time viewing. Rating out of 10.

October
    The Evil Dead (1981) 8/10
    Jeepers Creepers (2001) 7.5/10
    Corpse Bride (2005) 5.5/10
    Bubba Ho-tep (2002) 8/10
    Malevolence (2004) 7/10
    Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988) 7.5/10
    Leprechaun 3 (1995) 5.5/10
    Evil Dead 2 (1987) 8.5/10

[​IMG]

Leprechaun 3 (1995) - I picked up the Leprechaun collection years ago, and for the past three years I have tried to tackle it. Unfortunately each year I make it through one film and call it quits. This year being the third, I watched part 3. This was is more in line with the second film, which wasn't too bad but far from great. It's not that they are necessary bad films, they just are what they are, and for me that is "one is enough for now" type of film. They just don't deliver anything that makes you want to get up and throw the next one in. There's some good one liners but also many that are clinch worthy, Warlick is great as the Leprechaun but usually the rest of the actors are below average, there are some decent kills but then some that are terribly bland. You get the picture. We'll see if I'll be brave enough to tackle another one this year. With the next one settling in space, although I know it will be bad, it may be different enough to make me want to give it a try. We shall see.

[​IMG]

Evil Dead 2 (1987) - As I mentioned in my Evil Dead review, the first horror masterpiece has been gaining a lot of tread with me. It's become really hard for me to decide which is the better film between Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2 (Although Army of Darkness still takes the cake), but again this year I gave the slight edge to the second more comedy oriented remake/ sequel. The first film is definitely the scarier film, and probably even makes a little more sense, but this film just ups the insanity meter, which was already at an all time high in Evil Dead. I love all the monster effects, the Direction is definitely a little more polished and the slapstick humor really works for me, thanks to Bruce Campbell genius comic timing. Yes, this is where Campbell finally comes front and center where he belongs, easily carrying the film. The scene where he fights off his possessed hand is a highlight and in my opinion one of the greatest scenes in horror, scratch that, cinema history. It just works in every way. If you haven't seen any films in this trilogy, I highly recommend you skip renting them and run out and buy them all. As a whole, they offer a little bit of everything, horror, comedy, action, adventure, romance that it would be hard to walk away disappointed.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

(honestly I'd like to do smaller photos but I work with what's on hand)
    [​IMG]
    Ghost Busters: The Canterville Ghost (1975)

It's simply bizarre seeing Ted "Judge Smails" Knight without an admiral's hat and a young Len "Uncle Leo" Lesser in an Italian zoot suit but it works especially well with Knight as the ghost of Canterville. You immediately grasp his characterization. Lesser is very stagey and ham fisted here but in a bad way. Fortunately he's not in this much. He's in a very good scene with Bob Burns replicating the old fashioned "someone behind me in a haunted house" gag with a few twists under a suit of armor. They mix things up enough with this episode to make it worth while.

[​IMG]
    Ghost Busters: Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf? (1975)

They go all out in this one making the werewolf out to be completely dog like in both wolf and human form; making the title very apt. This one references an older episode which I'm surprised and puts the plot together early by establishing a pendant which can cure werewolves. There's a good comic build of the old file cabinet routine where Larry Storch first establishes it and then the werewolf brings it back full circle. Bob Burns is very good in both scenes and really helps sell the routine. What's somewhat odd is that in the end the heroes don't try to help him. He's established as a lovable mutt with great interplay between Tracy. Why abandon that? Oh well, overall it's good stuff.

[​IMG]
    Mark of the Vampire (1935)

I enjoyed this much more upon additional viewings. Once you get over the spoil sport ending and accept it for what it is there's still much to appreciate here. There's quite a few subtle ques/clues given between characters and a very conscious build. The atmosphere is thick and the moans in the ambient sound of the vampires is really old school eerie stuff. This really helps boost Browning's credits as a big reason why the castle sequence in Dracula is so memorable. Browning also repeats a "mistake" by casting Elizabeth Allan as the damsel in distress when she looks and acts very much like Helen Chandler. This helps support the fact that Chandler's performance in Dracula was very specifically directed that way by Browning. Carroll Borland is the real scene stealer in this one though and her own personal monster kid connection with Bela Lugosi is a dream come true for horror fans such as ourselves.

[​IMG]
    London After Midnight (2002 Photo Reconstruction)

I've come to the conclusion that LAM, if found, would be a surprisingly enjoyable film despite what cynical film historians say today. A lot of the foundation that makes good silent horror is here with heavy atmosphere and Lon Chaney's performance. That audiences would flock to theaters and make this Browning/Chaney's highest grossing film speaks to that. But so does this photo reconstruction that, if assessed with Mark of the Vampire as well as Dracula, paints a very clear picture of how it probably turned out. A lot of the plot details would be smoothed over in Mark of the Vampire but LAM has some more detective work in it which perhaps would have helped prepare the audience for the twist ending of Mark. The extensive scenes in the haunted house and graveyard would have also gone a long way in dispelling the myth that Karl Freund was the sole force behind Dracula's best scenes.

10. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Love this thread but oh hot diggity this is a clusterfuck.

11. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

October 4:

[​IMG][​IMG]

I'll try to do a bit of a write up tomorrow for these but I really need sleep. Suffice to say that I enjoyed both of them.

12. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I would be interested in how good these were - surprised I havent heard of them

13. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Oct 4
    A Nightmare on Elm Street 3 : The Dream Warriors (blu)
    (Followed by the essential and cheesy Dokken video)

14. HoldenMcNeil

HoldenMcNeil Member

The Mutilator...

15. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

October 3rd-

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So far, so good. Enjoying my revisit of the Amityville franchise. Only one left...my hopes are not high for it. The Asylum found footage film.

16. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

Oct 3: Henry The Portrait of A Serial Killer 2

Oct 4: The Boogeyman (1980)

17. Undeadcow

Undeadcow New Member

October 4
    22. Waxword (1988, 95 minutes) 7.5/10 - Spirited everything but the kitchen sink approach is a lot of fun if sometimes scattered. David Warner is top notch.[DVD, personal collection][/color]
    23. The Theatre Bizzare (2011, 114 minutes) 8.5/10 - Anthology movie with some intense segments along with surreal absurd imagery with sizzling and brutal stories. Well executed and complicated.[Digital download, Pirate Bay]
    24. Igor (2008, 87 minutes) 3.5/10 - A CGI animated film that plays with Frankenstein conventions to be comical that I want to like more than I do, at times cutesy but I've never been able to get into it. The best part of Igor is being able to watch it with the family but even then there's other better horror themed cartoons.[Blu-ray, personal collection]
    25. The Monster Squad [Commentary with Dekker/Gower/Bank/Lambert] (1987, 82 minutes) 7.5/10 (movie), 3/10 (commentary) - A classic movie but the commentary was kind of blah. I was expecting a really cool "we were in Monster Squad!" upbeat energy but although conversational the commentary is pretty limited to on-screen observations aside from some occassional background from Dekker.[Blu-ray, personal collection]

October 5 [x hours, x minutes; Exploitation/Horror theme day]
    26. Pieces (1982, 85 minutes) 6.5/10 - Pieces doesn't mess around, it's cheap and gets right to the point, almost artistic in it's trashiness with a weak plot to bookend the dismemberment and leering camera scans of (mostly clothed) women. A perfect "so bad it's good" giallo styled sleaze-fest complete with silly red herrings where the best parts are not the extremes it shows but the loosely connected "plot" between.[DVD, personal collection]

18. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

October 4th

[​IMG]
    October Madness #8: Exorcism (1974)
    Rating: ★★★★

An escaped mental patient who used to be a priest is on the lam performing 'exorcisms', aka killing his victims after he demands they repent, when he discovers that some cultured Parisians are performing faux black masses which he mistakes to be real.

Jess Franco layers on the sleaze in this cash-in on the just released The Exorcist. Weaving a darker erotic vibe and a clearly anticlerical message, Exorcism is a real treat for purveyors of exploitation cinema. With some witty and funny dialogue, stiff acting from Franco himself as the crazed priest, and plenty of flesh and black mass rituals on display, it's not to be missed if that's your cup of tea.

19. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Active Member

4th october

6.Frankenstein(1931)
    Stunning new blu ray transfer for the best ever version of the frankenstein story.

20. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Active Member

4th october

6.Frankenstein(1931)
    Stunning new blu ray transfer for the best ever version of the frankenstein story.