The 2013 Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2013.

1. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Once again it's just about time for Halloween and as usual we'll be doing this whole horror movie tracking thingy wherein the people here on Horror Digital watch a crap load of horror-related movies/tv shows and then come to this thread to brag, write a review, post pics, or get ideas for what to watch next. Just do a post for each movie you watch or each day. It really is fun, especially if everyone joins in and gets in the spirit. It lasts all month and hopefully everyone will join in starting October 1st at 12 a.m.

Here's a link to last year's thread so you can get an idea of what's going on. www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=44139

My first movie, as always, will be Silver Bullet. Right at the stroke of midnight, October 1st. Can't wait!! So many movies piled up right now that I want to watch.

Anyway I hope everyone joins in. Have fun!

2. maskull

Some of the highlights that I am looking forward to watching:

John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness- actually never seen it before and now it's on Blu!!
    The Haunting - Going to be out on blu half way thru the month. OH BOY!!
    In The Mouth of Madness - same as The Haunting.
    SAW series - Never seen half of them and I figure I may as well get caught up.
    Cannibal movies - Haven't watched any of them in a long time and feel the need to do a massive rewatch.
    Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds and Psycho - Got the Hitchcock blu box set and been itching to watch these movies. Decided to save em for October.
    Friday The 13th - Just got the box set. I've seen these movies too many times to count but am hoping they'll be a little bit fresh on Blu.

plus so many old favourites, a ton of upgrades to blu, and plenty that I've saved for this occasion.

3. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

I'm definitely going to hit a bunch of my "To watch" list
    The Dorm that Dripped Blood
    Girls Nite Out
    Night School
    Inside
    Eyes without a Face
    The Tenant
    The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue
    From Beyond
    to name a few...

and then some regular classics I watch every year. Definitely going to be watching Donnie Darko on the 3rd!

4. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

Manged to watch 64 films last year. Unfortunately the fun ended for me on the 29th because I lost power (Thanks Sandy!). Hopefully I can get through this year without incident and enjoy my Halloween. I have about 45 to 50 potential first time viewings lined up in addition to the usual classic that I make room for as we approach Halloween night.

5. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Whoo-hoo! My pal is hosting an Oct. 1 celebratory watch party, featuring The Gate, so that will be my first film this year. :banana:

6. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

UPDATE 10/6

First week of October:

Halloween (35th Anniversary Edition): The movie is known to all, so I'll take this opportunity to sound off on the unexpectedly controversial 35th Anniversary Blu-ray. I thought the previous BD looked good (much better than the DVD), but this new one blows it away. I've seen this movie dozens of times over the years, and I noticed details that I never caught before. One example: I just noticed that Tommy's stack of comics includes a Marvel Godzilla, and I'm a huge G-fan! I can even tell it's the issue in which the Big G is abducted by aliens and taken to the moon! I understand the problems with the mono soundtrack, but the 7.1 sounds great. It would have been awesome if AB included at least the extras from the previous Blu, but they never do that. The clarity and detail of this new transfer is amazing. Definitely worth the upgrade. So quit griping and go buy this!

Silent Rage: Often described as "Chuck Norris vs. Michael Myers." The ass-kicking lawman takes on a disturbed axe murderer made virtually unkillable by medical experimentation. It's enjoyable, but could have used a bit more action and a less annoying sidekick.

Bloody Murder: Counselors trying to re-open a summer camp with an infamous past are picked off one by one by a masked killer. Sound familiar? This is a cheap-looking Friday the 13th knockoff with tame kills and nothing else of interest. Lame.

Bloody Murder 2: Counselors trying to close down a summer camp with an infamous past at the end of the season are picked off one by one by a masked killer. Sound familiar? This is at least a marginal improvement over the first one. It has a better pace and more gore and sex.

Don't Look in the Basement: A pretty young woman is trapped in an asylum that really is run by the inmates in this low-budget shlock. Tedious and annoying. Avoid!

[​IMG]

First weekend of October:

Halloween III: Season of the Witch: The Myers-less "black sheep" of the Halloween series is actually a great horror movie in its own right. It's a combination supernatural / mystery / techno-thriller with a great holiday feel to it (despite being set in sunny California). Tom Atkins is The Man here. In his panning of the film, the late great Roger Ebert described lead actress Stacey Nelkin as an appealing young actress deserving of better roles. I agree wholeheartedly with the first part, but she does well here too. It's good to see this movie move out of Michael's long shadow in recent years and gain a following of its own.

The Gorgon: I hadn't seen this Hammer film before, but always wanted to because of its departure from the usual Dracula / Frankenstein / Mummy stable to use a creature from Greek mythology. Unfortunately, the title Gorgon (Megera, not Medusa) doesn't look very good and isn't used very much. The central mystery of who is possessed by the Gorgon isn't necessary and doesn't make much sense, and the whole affair is pretty dull.

The Mist: A monster movie with a survival-horror setup not unlike a zombie movie. The creatures look good, except for some occasional obvious CGI. It's well acted by a cast that includes several faces now familiar from The Walking Dead. In fact, it's a real hoot to see Andrea and Dale switch roles here; while deciding on a course of action, Andrea says that people are basically good, and Dale says that he has no faith in human nature. As for the unusually grim ending:
    I respect the movie ending, even though I personally don't like it. It's cool that they would put out such a dark, downer of an ending. That took balls. Personally though, as a huge kaiju / monster fan, I don't like the mist breaking and the military moving in to clean everything up. I prefer the book's ending; it's more ambiguous in that we never find out how far the mist has spread and that it could cover the world. They substituted a more personal apocalypse for a possible real apocalypse. Besides, as soon as the final shots were fired, I knew what was coming.

[​IMG]

Second and third week / weekend of October:

The Walking Dead: The Complete First Season: This excellent TV show, set in the Atlanta area, follows a group of survivors as they attempt to make their way in a world overrun with flesh-eating zombies. It's very cinematic, with high production values and surprising amounts of gore for even cable TV. What really sells it though, is its attention to story and character development. In future seasons, I hope it retains its high visual standards and remains grounded in reality. (I haven't read much of the comic this is based on yet.)

The Walking Dead: The Complete Second Season: What is it about zombies? They fire up the imagination more so than any other subgenre of horror. Watching a good zombie drama gets one to thinking: What would I do if the dead started to rise? Where would I go? How would I survive the zombie apocalypse? I think a lot of the credit has to go to the original Dawn of the Dead, which so brilliantly set up a scenario with survivors banding together in a novel location (a shopping mall). The Walking Dead continues that tradition, with a group of survivors all pulling in different directions. We have Shane, who will do anything to survive and thrive in this world. We have Dale, the conscience of the group, clinging to traditional decency and morality. And we have Rick, who draws from both philosophies as needed to protect his family. It makes the audience think, What would I do? I honestly don’t get the complaints a lot of people had with Season 2. The group finds (temporary) safe haven on a farm, but there is still zombie action in every episode. Ep. 1 had the zombie herd, Ep. 2 had the church and Carl getting shot, Ep. 3 had the sacrifice of Otis, Ep. 4 had the well walker, etc. Who could forget the barn massacre, and Farmageddon? It’s the human drama and staying grounded in reality that make the show so compelling, and that shouldn’t be sacrificed to make it into a live-action video game.

The Walking Dead: The Complete Third Season: A lot of people bemoaned the single location and lack of action in Season 2 (I wasn't one of them). Going into Season 3, I was more concerned with how the more "comic book-y" characters like Michonne and the Governor would be integrated into a show that is compelling largely because it remains so well grounded. I'm happy to say that Season 3 is the best one yet! The new characters are great, a couple of MIA ones return, and there is a lot more action all around. There are several episodes this season that have that season-ender, "big episode" feel to them. But the hits just keep on coming in the zombie apocalypse!

[​IMG]

Last Year

October 2011

October 2010

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  7. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

On my watch pile so far:

Hatchet III
    Stepfather II
    Evilspeak
    American Mary (haven't seen it)
    Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters
    Storage 24 (haven't seen it)
    Aftershock
    Burning Bright
    Haunted-Ween
    The Chilling
    Trilogy of Terror
    The Phantom of the Opera (1989)
    Hell Night
    Fade to Black (haven't seen it)

There's a lot more I'm going to add to it.

8. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I need to get a watch pile planned out. I always pull out way more then I have time for, but sometimes I even surprise myself. I have a bunch of new titles that I have picked up the last few months and held for this, but I'll of course throw in some classics and second chance films as well.

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Got my daily schedule all ready! It's mostly Dan Curtis and George Romero this year with the usual Universal Classics.

October 2013:
    09/30 Invader ZIM: Germs (2001)
    09/30 War of the Worlds (1953)
    10/01 The Vampire Show (1954): The Thirteenth Guest (1932)
    10/02 The Whisperer in Darkness (2011)
    10/03 Apollo 18 (2011)
    10/04 Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Beast of Yucca Flats (1961)
    10/04 The X from Outer Space ( Uchu daikaiju Girara ) (1967)
    10/05 Rifftrax: Plan 9 From Outer Space (1957)
    10/05 Mystery Science Theater 3000: Monster A-Go Go (1965)
    10/05 Genocide ( Konchû daisensô ) (1968)
    10/06 The Simpsons: Treehouse of Horror XXIII (2012)
    10/06 The Simpsons: Treehouse of Horror XXIV (2013)
    10/06 The Black Cat (1934)
    10/07 Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982)
    10/08 Night of the Demons 2 (1994)
    10/09 Trick 'r Treat (2007)
    10/10 Murders in the Rue Morgue (1932)
    10/11 Kiss of the Damned (2012)
    10/12 Svengoolie (2013): Dracula (1931)
    10/13 Svengoolie (2013): The Leech Woman (1960)
    10/14 The Night Stalker (1972)
    10/15 The Night Strangler (1973)
    10/16 Bram Stoker's Dracula (1973)
    10/17 Frankenstein (1973)
    10/18 Dark Shadows (2012)
    10/19 Mystery Science Theater 3000: Hobgoblins (1988)
    10/19 Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Dead Talk Back (1957)
    10/19 Svengoolie (1997): Cult of the Cobra (1955)
    10/19 Brain Damage (1988)
    10/19 Mahakaal ( The Monster ) (1993)
    10/19 Stacy ( ステーシー ) (2001)
    10/20 The Return of the Vampire (1944)
    10/21 The Dead Want Women (2012)
    10/22 Dead Snow ( Død snø ) (2009)
    10/23 Diary of the Dead (2007)
    10/24 Rifftrax Live! (2013): Night of the Living Dead (1968)
    10/25 Frankenstein's Army (2013)
    10/26 Svengoolie (2013): Curse of the Undead (1959)
    10/26 Vampira and Me (2012)
    10/27 Creature from the Black Lagoon 3D (1954)
    10/28 The Wolf Man (1941)
    10/29 The Invisible Man (1933)
    10/30 The Mummy (1932)
    10/31 Bride of the Monster (1955)
    10/31 Plan 9 from Outer Space (1957)
    10/31 Mystery Science Theater 3000: "Manos": The Hands of Fate (1966)
    10/31 Season's Greetings (1996)
    10/31 Hypnoscope (195?)
    10/31 Monsters Crash the Pajama Party (1965)
    10/31 Frankenstein (1931)
    10/31 The Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
    10/31 Frankenstein (1910)
    10/31 Dracula (1931)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  10. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I don't know if I'll make it through one per day, but hopefully I'll manage more than 20 this year. I think I'll try to stick to DVDs I own, maybe capping off the month with a Friday the 13th marathon.

11. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

I'm taking a few months off from work, so I really need to make this October count. My goal is no less than 150 movies, and I will be disappointed if I only get to that. I have to make this count! I've got a list of about 150 movies I want to watch and then I also have some I'll just pick up on the fly. Gotta pick up some easy groceries and snacks to keep my time away from the screen at a minimum.

I... will... not... be... stopped.

12. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

If there was ever a time that we needed a bowing down icon this is it. Can't wait to read about what you watch!

13. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I got sick, so my Disney Marathon has pretty much died while I tanked in bed.

But, while recovering, I've been downloading movies from YouTube. Last year, I made a list of YouTube channels which had a good dozen or so horror movies but almost all of them have been taken down since. Luckily, some more have sprang up and most of the movies I missed they now have (Boogens, Willies, Spookies, etc).

Which of course is why I don't want to take a chance this year. I'll also probably watch a few on Netflix but my computer plays Watch Instant very choppily. Even YouTube is a pain to watch, which is why I download of course. (VLC player rules.)

Still cooking up my final list.

14. maskull

You should be able to do it with no problems. I usually manage 120-140 each October and that's with work and various other distractions. If you don't watch 300 I'll be disappointed with you. :)

I booked off the 1st this year so I can stay up late to watch a movie right at midnight and then have the whole day to get started on the massive pile I have sitting here. Getting excited!

15. Marclar

Marclar Member

I am going to re-visit Dario Argento and Lucio Fulci and some Dave Cronenberg too:

Opera
    The Stendhal Syndrome
    The Beyond
    City of the Living Dead
    Return of the Living Dead
    Them!
    The Dead hate the Living
    The burning
    The Walking Dead Season 3 (haven't seen it, Netflix just got it)
    Scanners
    Rabid
    Videodrome
    Trancers
    Trancers 2

maybe something else, but these for sure.

16. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

I don't know how it'd even be possible to watch 300 at 10 movies a day haha.

I factored in getting drunker than a bicycle on weekends, so that knocks some days out for hangovers if needed. ;)

17. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Even at 150 movies in October you're looking at 8 hours a day minimum. That's a lot of movie watching.

18. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Since I work 8-5 now I can't stay up late only to START movies off at midnight (which Vampira and I use to do together) so I'll be starting out early during the senior's "night" hours:

Seems like the perfect day to end September with an Ancient Aliens marathon on TV with new episode tonight and my ritual segue into October with:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Invader Zim: Germs (2001)

I keep watching this before War of the Worlds but I should really watch it afterwards (as Zim and Gir start the cartoon by watching the end of the movie too). I was shocked to see my PS3 queue up the episode. It remember exactly where I stopped the DVD one year ago to the day! I thought the PS3 forgot after I put in another DVD? Boy was I impressed.

Anyways, I just learned this year that Frank Conniff was the head writer for Invader Zim so along with "Clayton Forester" named after War of the Worlds this is becoming surprisingly MST3k referenced. A favorite episode of mine with its Starship Trooper opening adaption of War of the Worlds, brilliant moments with Gir and the Howard Hughes decent into madness of Zim. The gag with the baby here is probably the best gag from the entire show. Sadly the Halloween episode from this series isn't nearly as good.

[​IMG][​IMG]

War of the Worlds (1953)

I always forget that there's an amicable Mexican in the beginning of this movie that the small town fully excepts (but then it is still California). There is a general attempt to mention other countries in a positive manner, and here we think of scripts being re-written to sell to China as a new thing. I only noticed now that Russia is not mentioned at all throughout the film, and when you think about it they say the US is the first to try an atomic bomb but surely the Russians would have been quicker to pull the trigger?

There's some nice old fashion spook house scares here in the abandoned and nearly demolished farmhouse. Some nice blue lighting and later on when they re-create the Martian's vision there's a creepy green tinting used. There's a lot of tropes to later be used by George A. Romero so this still makes for an appropriate start to my marathon as I intend to go a full week of zombie related Romero fun leading up to the Rifftrack of NotLD. But here I'm getting ahead of myself...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  19. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 1st
    [​IMG][​IMG]

1) American Scream: This is one of the most unique, bizarre, hysterical, and oddly sad documentaries I have ever seen. The film documents three families who specialize in DIY haunted houses in the town of Fairhaven, MA. It's a beautifully done film that channels the spirit of Halloween and the desire to be creative and original. It's currently streaming on Netflix and I urge everyone subscribed to check it out this month. It is defiantly worth your while. (8/10)

2) Jeffrey Dahmer Files: Since junior high or so, I've been obsessed with serial killers and serial murders. I have seen more documentaries than I can count on this subject so I was geeked when I first heard about this film. Although I enjoyed the presentation of the film, it really lacked any real incite about Dahmer or serial killing in general, it was more of a police procedure type documentary in vain of "Cold Case Files." I surprisingly loved the dramatizations, which were welled directed and acted, and the meager three interviewees who participated were interesting characters to say the least (God damn that officer with the mustache can really paint a picture with words). I can't fully recommend this if you have seen a number of documentaries on Dahmer, but for those looking to see what he is all about it is not a bad place to start. (6/10)

20. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

October 2013:

10/1: Twins of Evil (1971)-9/10