The 2013 Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2013.

1. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

10/1: My Bloody Valentine (1981)

[​IMG]

One of my favorite slasher films, my best friend picked this to watch tonight!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  2. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

As usual, I won't be watching more than one movie on work days, and since I work shifts I got to make the extra time, but I'll manage. Saturday and Sundays are reserved for double or triple features with one all night movie marathon planned on a Saturday. Lucky me I'm off from work starting Wednesday till Sunday so I'm gonna try to squeeze in a few extra movies.

Last movie in September was Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 as a warm up. Haven't seen in over 10 years and the DVD was already gathering way too much dust.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In my opinion an overall lame effort, with bad moments and unintentional humor. No thrills, no scares, cheap gore plus silly plot and unappealing actors (I can't stand Goth chicks). Blair Witch 2 only works for me on a bad movie level but the fun cheese didn't fully deliver.

3. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

October 1st
    SPOILER BELOW!
    [​IMG]
    Movie #1, around 1:45 AM -
    Magic (1978 / directed by Richard Attenborough) - [​IMG]

Bad forced psycho-drama. The last thing I'll say is that it was boring but that doesn't mean I was the slightest bit invested. I was too busy making faces in reaction to all the lemonade it was squeezing. This thing is denser than the wooden head of Fats, the dummy (not pictured above; ha). This thing consistently dives low in the hope of raising tensions and because it had no great ideas, it fails every time. Also, considering how often the dummy flirted with every woman and talked about his [link joke] yet claimed Hopkins used him to get laid... why the fuck wasn't he "real" again? There's, of course (or else it's pretty obvious this film wouldn't have a reputation) a scene where the doll comes to life and kills someone. But the ending is very "it was all in your imagination." Go home, movie- you're drunk!

The less heavy the characters, the better they fare. Best thing I can say about Hopkins is that he was sexy when he was younger. That's how I think I got through the agonizing first "act," including the scenes with the cab driver. With sleazy smile; yeah, this guy's trustworthy. Yet more stone cold proof that it's pretty damn hard to make a good killer doll/puppet movie.

4. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

[​IMG]

October 1st

01. Night Gallery: The Cemetery

5. DVD-fanatic-9

SPOILER BELOW!
    [​IMG]
    Movie #2, around 5:00 AM -
    Visiting Hours (1982 / directed by Jean-Claude Lord) - [​IMG]

Well played, movie. Very well played. As you can imagine, given my typically feminist leanings (which some right here have regarded as a dirty word), I have a few concerns with the structure of these movies. It's the same problem I have with the glut of torture films of 2003-2013: you can't keep making dozens of dozens (of dozens) of movies about the same damn thing, exactly the same way, and expect it to have gravity, depth, or power to it. Fortunately, for every New Year's Evil (just about the absolute key example of a truly misogynistic movie masquerading as psychologically insightful)- we have one of these. That is to say: it actually cares about the issues it raises and sees that they are given grounding in the film. Even though it spends a lot of time on questionable flashbacking to the killer's one-dimensional (and not very illuminating) childhood (and... he liked that his father molested him??), it really did give a fuck about the reporter and making a very fair and realistic statement about the necessity of violent self-defense. The character, surprisingly, underwent an honest arc and her final actions weren't glamorized. In fact, the press are shown as tactless whores for covering her in flashbulbs during her realization that she had to kill to save herself. It's also extremely well-shot for a down-and-dirty slasher and just about every character is either likable or enigmatic, though I never want that to be the excuse for a movie to spend so much damn time showing every move the killer makes. Frankly, he gets more screentime than any of the women do by themselves and I don't feel as though I learned a thing about him, psychologically. Except that he has an obsession with leather. And, apparently, hating women means you're a racist as well. Uhhhhmmmmmm...

6. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I kicked things off early last night with The Hitcher, great film but what an awful looking print for the dvd.
    This one is ripe for a Scream Factory updating for sure.
    Anyway, I would give the film 4/5.
    Rutger Hauer is a little too believable in this one. LOL.

7. DVD-fanatic-9

SPOILER BELOW!
    [​IMG]
    Movie #3, around 7:00 AM -
    Invaders from Mars (1986 / directed by Tobe Hooper) - [​IMG]

Well... it was fun while it lasted. That is, the first hour. Nothing much to say about it either, it's just a fun hour of Invasion of the Body Snatchers mumbojumbo with a non-annoying kid as the protagonist. Then... they tacked on a completely useless 40-minute ending. After Robert Vaughn in Bud the Chud and Paul Sorvino in The Stuff, James Karen never stood a chance and the movie doesn't give him anything to do anyway. He has one sorta karate sergeant who becomes the most likable member of the troop team and some guy falls down a hill and pushes him into the Sandpit of Doom where the martians kill him. That's the kind of ending this is. Some guy randomly falls down the hill and knocks him over. Then, it turns out it was all a dream. Until it all starts over again, ala- Nightmare City. Also... note to kid: don't stroke Karen Black. Please don't. You're already laying on an actual bed mattress in a boiler room with her, don't push it.

8. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Right on. I haven't seen this in more than a decade as I'm waiting for a decent presentation. Get Shout Factory on this title.

9. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Active Member

October 1st

Started out with Vincent Price triple bill to kick off.

1. House Of Wax (1953). ( dvd)
    Had not seen this in over 20 years and I forgot good this film is. Twisted take on Frankenstein , no one in the horror genre does creepy. like Vincent price.

2. The Fly (1958) (blu ray)
    Full of memorable scenes ,a cautionary tale of the consequences of men trying to be gods.

3. Fall of the House of Usher (1960) ( blu ray)
    First time viewing. Can't believe it's taken me so long to see this.
    Spooky gothic atmosphere , no definitive explanation on the madness which affects the usher family and great performances all round.

10. DVD-fanatic-9

SPOILER BELOW!
    [​IMG]
    Movie #4, around 10:00 AM -
    Burial Ground (1981 / directed by Andrea Bianchi) - [​IMG]

Can you believe there are some people out there who don't like Troll 2? I used to think to myself: I... guess I could see how. Now, I've seen this film. And I know those people have just not been exposed to this. If they did, holy fuck would they be worshipping at the Altar of Nilbog!

I was thinking, as I was watching (about 50 minutes in), that I would compliment it by saying it impressed me that the women fight back... then one of them lets her zombie son eat her tit. Previously, she might have actually had the best track record in vanquishing these walking turdfaced things I think we're meant to buy as zombies. Then she became the weakest link.

Yeah, this is one incredible garbage heap of a movie. As such, like in a junkyard, there are a few salvageable pieces. The sequence of the maid being killed (these zombies are such freaking failures in every imaginable way- they needed tools all along). There's even a sequence I would describe as downright beautiful - the mother killing the zombie woman eating her son in the bathroom - even though I laughed at it.

Unfortunately, I didn't laugh often enough. This is fucking boring. And predictable (yes, I actually figured out the zombie opening the door slowly - remember that bit? - was the goddamn Professor from the opening... and, yes, I practically stood up and did a frickin' Endzone dance). And stupid. Real stupid. The kind of stupid that makes a mark that paints an entire movie in something that smells like piss. Like piss is impossible to misidentify, this can't feasibly be mistaken for anything more than schlock.

11. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I never could get through Burial Ground, it was boring as hell to me.

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  12. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

To be honest the dubbing killed the movie. Stupid bitch crying and yelling for 90 min uggh.

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  13. DVD-fanatic-9

I was okay with that until they somehow failed to pay as much attention to what was going on as I was. Of course the monks were fucking zombies! But, they walk right into the monestery and scream when they find out the monks are fucking zombies. Who the hell was fooled by that? A character should only be allowed to scream at things the audience would find surprising or shocking. In this movie, 49 times out of 50- every last zombie is preceded by their shadow on the walls or floors. GAAAAH!!! STUPID movie!!

14. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Has anyone that has seen This Is the End count it as a horror film? I know it's more of an apocalyptic comedy but I also heard it has demons in it. I want to watch it as part of my October Horror Movie-athon and just curious if those who have seen it would say it would count?

15. DVD-fanatic-9

If anyone here counts Jaws, and you know somebody will, go for it.

16. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

October 1st:

Evilspeak
    Chopping Mall
    Deadly Friend
    Hardware
    Brainscan
    Arcade

17. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

If you think it counts then it counts...just don't try to pass off Mary Poppins as a horror film :)

And for the record, I really enjoyed Burial Ground. All the complaints are pretty much accurate but I just had so much fun watching it.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  18. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

October 1st:

[​IMG]

Got home last night and wasn't feeling great so I watched the last episode of Dexter and was in bed before 8, hoping to wake up around midnight and watch my first horror movie of the season. Well I did wake up on time but still wasn't feeling great so went back to sleep. Woke up again around 1:45 a.m. and started to watch Silver Bullet as planned but fell asleep again. Then woke up around 5:30 a.m. and rewatched Silver Bullet from the beginning.

So it took a while but I got my first movie in the books. :)

...and I enjoyed it once again.

19. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

20. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit