The 2013 Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2013.

1. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Active Member

Sorry it was indeed 1942, I stand corrected. Typing with tired eyes lol

2. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

I'm just glad I was right for once on this board! Keep posting your watch lists!

3. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Ok I finally have time to do this...

October 1:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've only seen part 1-3 before so I figured I may as well watch the whole damn series. All-in-all fairly entertaining. Part 1 and 3 could really do with some editing (too be fair I did watch Saw 3 uncut) as I found myself feeling a little bored at times during those two movies. Part 7 was easily the worst acted of them all...and that's saying something. Jigsaw's wife was annoyingly bad as was the detective...I was was cheering for them to die just so I didn't have to put up with their over-acting. Actually part 7 was probably my least favourite of the series. Too many traps. Traps every other scene it seemed. I get it was 3D and so they needed a bunch of blood n guts flying at the screen, but this got kind of repetitive after a while.

Anyway I had a decent time watching them all and got involved in the convoluted story for the most part. Glad I watched them, just not sure I'll watch them again.

4. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Active Member

October 2nd

8. Fright Night (2011). (Blu ray)
    First time viewing. Finally got round to seeing this, after being such a big fan of the original I did not think this hold a candle to it so always skipped it. I was half right , while entertaining in its on right I feel It falls well short when compared. Colin Farrell was not as menacing as Chris Sarandon and did not give off that vibe of a creature who had survived hundreds of years and was always one step ahead of everything going on around him. The big plus was my fellow Scotsman David Tennant who at least brought something new to his portrayal of Peter Vincent .
    One of the better remakes I've seen .

9. Child's play (1988) (Blu Ray)
    I'm sure this film has caused a few dolls to be locked in cupboards or thrown in the trash. A horror icon created in chucky that is just as recognisable today as Michael and Jason. Fun horror movie and I can't wait to see the latest instalment.

10. Village of the damned (1960)
    Although this feels like a fleshed out longer episode of the twilight zone in the end you have to appreciate of the most intelligent scifi/horror films of the 60s.
    One of the cheapest special effects of the creepy kids eyes glowing is also one of the most effective.

5. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

^^ 11 hours of one film series in the same day. There's no way I would be engaged in what I was watching by the 4th film. Other than October I rarely watch films of the same genre on back-to-back days. That's bananas.

6. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

[​IMG]

Night School (1981)

Never seen this before, just popped it in now! I love the opening kill on the merry-go-round :D

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  7. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

October 2nd:

Slaughter High
    Night School
    Graduation Day
    Killer Party
    Hell Night
    Sorority House Massacre

8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I respect the guys here who do, 'cause there's no way I can do that even once, let alone day after day after day. I might do a triple feature on a Friday or Saturday night at the most.

9. maskull

They kept having little moments at the end of each film that made me want to watch the next one right away. They're very clever that way. :)

Besides, I've been doind these "fests" for years now. You gotta train to do it. Ya can't just start right away. Build up some tolerance first ya know?

10. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

[​IMG]

Halloween (2007 - Theatrical cut & Unrated Director's cut) DVD

11. maskull

October 2:

[​IMG][​IMG]

My Soul To Take (2010) - I'd heard all sorts of bad things about this movie and just couldn't believe it was as bad as I'd heard it was. It was pretty bad. Did anyone actually watch this before releasing it??

Bereavement (2010) - After not being a huge fan of Malevolence, I wasn't expecting much from this one but it ended up being decent and something I'd watch again.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  12. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

10.1 - The People Under the Stairs
    10.2 - The Descent

13. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

[​IMG]

The Whisperer in Darkness (2011)

An ambitious little film with excellent craft and care with the acting being pitch perfect. The production sets a tone that feels authentic to its period. My only complaint is that it feels a little disjointed in its narrative. Unlike most Lovecraft adaptions, but much like their other film The Call of Cthulhu, this hits closest to the mark of what Howard Philips was aiming at and I'm sure he'd approve.

[​IMG]

14. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Nice, I gotta check that one out...I loved The Call of Cthulhu.

Oct. 2nd's viewing is:
    [​IMG]

First time seeing this one and it is AMAZING! Reminds me of an early 80's version of Tales from the Crypt...Awesome picture quality, John Carradine, vampire Vincent Price and a shitty new wave band host. Way more fun than I thought this was going to be.

15. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

10.02.13 (2)

[​IMG]

The Bay (2012) (Blu-ray) [​IMG]

Small coastal town falls victim to a deadly outbreak during their 4th of July celebration. Environmental Found Footage Horror from Rain Man (!) Director Barry Levinson, who uses all types of cams to good effect. The Bay is very similar to The Thaw (2009) so that should give you an indication of what to expect. I thought it was interesting that the film came with an actual movie score soundtrack, as most found footage movies usually don't use any for "authenticity" .

16. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

October 2nd [Film #2]

Kiss of the Damned (2012)

[​IMG]

Holy smokes, this one really cooks. Fangs and fun, with a killer soundtrack slithering all around. Sexiest Vampire in the past decade goes to Joséphine de La Baume, whose red hair, sharp features, and buxom body fox up her every scene. There's a 1970s creepiness that heats the dialogue, and the colors run deep. Loved it.

[​IMG]

17. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

Bereavement (2010) 2/5.

This one somehow didn't grab me at all. The exterior scenes were simply breathtakingly gorgeous for the most part, but the interior scenes were so dark that it was hard to even see the characters, let alone see who was who. It went from atmospheric to annoying very quickly. But otherwise it was a well crafted movie, just too bleak for my tastes.

18. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

6. Planet Terror
    7. Phantasm III
    8. Vampyros Lesbos

19. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

October 3rd

[​IMG]
    Movie #7, around 3:45 AM -
    Night of the Living Dead (1990 / directed by Tom Savini) - [​IMG]

For awhile, it was stupid and occasionally funny. Then, it was stupid and it took longer to make me laugh again. Then, it was stupid and I stopped laughing altogether. This couldn't be a more perfect example of Why Remakes Aren't Necessary. Every idea this film had was either present in the original or lead nowhere fast and hard. The ending devolves into the most useless, obvious, and self-congratulatory message-mongering: if you have to vocalize it, you're doing something wrong. Although the imagery couldn't have been screaming any louder. Tom Towles (Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer) is funnier than he is threatening or deep, Tony Todd is just okay, Patricia Tallman is the strongest of the cast but whatever strength the movie was going for with her character is betrayed by the incredibly dumb dialogue. Decent music score. Anyone else notice how Pet Sematary this feels at the start (I'm actually not referring to just the titles font)?

20. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/2/13

The Walking Dead “The Suicide King”
    The Walking Dead “Home”
    The Walking Dead “I Ain’t A Judas”