The 2013 Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2013.

1. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

[​IMG]
    Movie #8, around 11:00 AM -
    Fade to Black (1980 / directed by Vernon Zimmerman) - [​IMG]

Um... Stuff happened.

And then... More stuff happened.

Cocaine. Masturbation. I don't want to know what was up with that mother of his. The ending is the funniest part. Obvious symbolism is obvious. Mickey Rourke. Priest in a limo? (White limo.)

2. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

October 2nd [Film #3]

Suck (2009)

Not Even Mad Men's Jessica Paré could save this one--huge missed opportunity, squandered by writer (and--surprise!--top-billed star) Rob Stefaniuk. The problem with this film is twofold:

1. Rob Stefaniuk, who treats this film as his one chance to be a rock star, writing the songs and singing them, neither of which he accomplishes with any acumen.
    2. The film has no identity. Is it a comedy? A cult rock/vampire flick? A parody? No one knows, and so it walks right down the middle to Blandsville. Avoid.

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

SPAWNINGBLUE'S 2013 OCTOBER HORROR MOVIE WATCHING

Bold = first time viewing. Rating out of 10.

October
    The Fog (1980) 9/10
    This Is the End (2013) 7.5/10
    The Boogens (1981) 7/10

[​IMG]

The Fog (1980) - This is not only one of my favourite Carpenter films, but one of my Favourite horror films in general. Right from the start with the campfire tale and then the town going haywire, this movie oozes atmosphere in every reel. The score is perfection, setting the tone and creating tension throughout. Not to mention it includes an all star caliber of horror greats including (a 'stacheless!) Tom Atkins, Adrienne Barbeau, Jamie Lee Curtis, Janet Leigh, Nancy Kyes, and Hal Holbrook who delivers a very low key but effective performance as a doomed priest. Even though this movie definitely ins't a hidden gem, I feel it is one that is still highly underrated. It hasn't seemed to achieve the same respect that other Carpenter films have, and even with the recent Scream Blu-ray release (Which is excellent by the way.), there are still many who don't think too highly of it.

[​IMG]

This Is the End (2013) - I wasn't sure if this movie would be fit for a viewing this month, as it seemed to just be a comedy set during a natural disaster apocalypse. I am happy to say that there are many horror elements in this, and it fits in snugly with any other horror comedy out there. The apocalypse is actually a rapture, and coming with it is lots of blood and gore, a beheading, cannibals, possession, various demon creatures, not to mention the Rosemary's Baby and Exorcist references among others. Although it could have probably been slightly trimmed by a few minutes, I was mostly entertained throughout thanks to the comedy talents of the Apatow crew and friends. Obviously if you aren't a fan of this troupe and their comedy style, you probably won't get much out of this, but for me, who has been a fan since the Freaks and Geeks and Undeclared days, this film delivered everything I wanted plus more thanks to all the horror elements.

[​IMG]

The Boogens (1981) - I am probably being a little generous with this film, since the pay off was a bit of a disappointment after the excellent set up, but the characters are what truly make this film stand out. It's rare to find such a likeable group of characters in a horror film, thanks to the smart and witty dialog, it's actually a shame to see them start getting killed off. The monster is barely seen until the end, and even then it probably should have stayed in the shadows (Where is the monster on the cover?), but for some odd reason it all worked for me.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  4. DVD-fanatic-9

[​IMG]
    Movie #9, around 1:00 PM -
    Ghosthouse (1988 / directed by Umberto Lenzi) - [​IMG]

There's nothing here to talk about. It's the Poltergeist clown with no hair. That's it.

5. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

** = first time viewing
    10/01 - Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988) 5/10
    10/02 - Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989) 6/10

[​IMG]

Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988) 5/10
    Ten years after his original massacre, Michael Myers returns to Haddonfield to kill his seven-year-old niece on Halloween.

I really appreciate how well THE RETURN OF MICHAEL MYERS captures the feel of Halloween. That, and an entertaining performance from Donald Pleasance is all the film has too offer for much of its runtime. The kills are weak and its dreadfully dull once they bunker down in the sheriff’s house. It also doesn’t help that George Wilbur’s Michael doesn’t look all that that menacing. The final chase/showdown isn’t great either but it’s saved by the final few minutes. The finale is one of my favorite moments of the entire series. The Blu-ray is serviceable.

How do you have a goddess like Kathleen Kinmont strip down but none of her glorious naughty bits make it on the screen? What a missed opportunity.

[​IMG]

Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989) 6/10
    It's one year later after the events of Halloween 4 and Michael returns with a vengeance.

With some quality kills, expertly crafted tension and kooky Dr. Loomis, THE REVENGE OF MICHAEL MYERS is consistently entertaining throughout. Don Shanks and a new mask make for a much better Michael than the previous installment. The only drag on the film is the ending. WTF were they thinking?

It also could have used some gratuitous nudity. The film has a prolonged shower scene and the hot blonde in the barn unties her top but still no boobies. This is a slasher film. Some us the boobs! The Blu-ray is exceptional.

6. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

October 2nd:
    Gingerdead Man 2: Passion of the Crust (2008)-8/10
    Gingerdead Man 3: Saturday Night Clever (2011)-7/10
    The Video Dead (1987)-8/10
    Terrorvision (1986)-9/10
    Sick Nurses (2009)-9/10

7. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Weird. I really enjoyed this one. I'd definitely say it's a comedy/parody first and foremost. Guess the old saying "different strokes...." applies here cause I found it to be very funny.

8. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

[​IMG]

October 1st

01. Night Gallery: The Cemetery

October 2nd

02. Night Gallery - Little Black Bag

October 3rd

03. Night Gallery - Finnegan's Flight

9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Man, that is one crazy movie, glad to see you rated it so high. The only drawback is the strict Thai restrictions on nudity, thus the bizarre scene where a woman takes a shower completely clothed.

In 2004, I was a programmer of a film festival, and I championed the previous film by these directors, a romantic comedy called My Suicide. I really had to fight the other programmers to get it into the festival, and I believe it was the only time the movie has been shown in the United States. We screened it twice to near-capacity crowds (first screening had maybe 6-7 empty seats total), and the audience loved it. The fact that their next movie got a US release (at least on DVD) shows I was on to something. My Suicide had a horror subplot, that featured two ghostly nurses. I'm guessing these guys have a hangup about nurses or something...

10. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I'll give it a try this time.

So far:

1.) Return To Sleepaway Camp (2008) 3 / 5 (DVD)
    I know a lot of people hate this one. While I completely agree that it is inferior to all previous Sleepaway Camp movies (except for that unfinished one, The Survivor), I do think this one is kind of a riot. It's basically Salute Your Shorts with murder. It's so bizarre and ridiculous, I can't help but laugh. Especially the scene where the kids surround the cabin chanting "blow job".

2.) The Burning (1981) 5 / 5 (blu-ray)
    I had been trying to watch a bunch of summer camp slashers over the summer, but didn't. So they basically were all crammed into September, with The Burning finishing them off. Great slasher flick with a beautiful setting and a fun cast of characters. What's not to love?

3.) Dead Before Dawn (2012) 2 / 5 (DVD)
    Colorful, lite, and easy-to-watch. I enjoyed it, but at the same time I'm kind of tired of zombie movies. So can't say it left much of an impression. I doubt I'd watch it again.

4.) Jack Ketchum's The Lost (2006) 5 / 5 (blu-ray)
    This is the third time I have seen this, and it still feels like a punch to the gut. The finale is so harrowing I find it hard to watch. The performances are all around fantastic, especially from Marc Senter who impeccably embodies a character whom I couldn't imagine translating off the page. The direction and cinematography are gorgeous, and the soundtrack is flawless to boot. I honestly wasn't a huge fan of Ketchum's novel, but I think this movie is fantastic. One of the most underrated genre movies of the past decade.

[​IMG]

11. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

If the lead had been in any way appealing, I might have liked it better. On the plus side, that "Flesh & Bone" song by the vampire dude was awesome. I think he's in an actual band.

12. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

October 3rd:

I Spit On Your Grave
    I Spit On Your Grave (2010)
    I Spit On Your Grave 2
    The Last House On The Left
    The Last House On The Left (2009)
    The House On The Edge of the Park

13. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Member

Finally started off my October viewing:

1) Malevolence (7/10)
    2) Bereavement (5.5/10)

14. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

World War Z (unrated cut) Blu-ray
    Mama Blu-ray
    The Cabin In The Woods Blu-ray
    Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters (unrated cut) Blu-ray

15. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Silent Night Bloody Night - I just couldn't wait for Christmas to watch the new CodeRed release. My prayers have been answered! A decent transfer!
    Hospital Massacre - Who'da thunk this would ever make it's way to a digital format, and Blu-Ray taboot! Excellent transfer and slasher fun for sure!
    Schizoid - Never got around to watching my VHS so it's pure bonus to be billed with the above from Scream. Not bad overall, always love Kaus flicks.

16. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 3rd
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5) Crowsnest: This has changed my mind as far as if it is possible to make a found footage slasher film (imagine Just Before Dawn meets Duel), and that answer is yes. But, I feel this movie missed the mark early in the film. All chances of likability are thrown out the window by making the characters the same generic horny, pot smoking, let's party stereotypes we've seen a hundred times before. Once the action starts around the 35/40 minute mark, that is when things get exciting. Unfortunately this film falls sort of hitting its potential. (6/10)

6) Frankenstein Theory: I liked how they extended the Frankenstein mythology in this film, but everything else is a total bore. Once they head out into the wilderness, it stops being about this well crafted Frankenstein mythos and devolves into them just bullshitting around in the snow and casually getting pissed off with one another. The film does leave itself open at the end for a potential sequel, but I'm not at all looking forward to one. (5/10)

17. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

October 3:

[​IMG][​IMG]

The Pool (2001) - Fun little slasher with decent blood, a little nudity, and a killer running around wearing leather pants...seems uncomfortable to me. Also features Isla Fisher and James McAvoy getting to perform with their natural accents.

Triloquist (2008) - This one is....weird. There was no way I should've liked this movie. It features fart jokes, terrible acting and worst of all, a ventriloquist's dummy!! Some how it manages to go from silly to stupid to warped to hilarious in the space of a couple of minutes but it all worked for me. The end lost a little bit of steam but most of the movie was extremely entertaining. I'm a little embarrassed that I liked this movie so much but I really did.

18. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Oct 3rd
    Friday the 13th IV: The Final Chapter (blu)
    Godzilla vs Destroyah (if godzilla counts lol )

19. DVD-fanatic-9

SPOILER BELOW!
    [​IMG]
    Movie #10, around 8:30 PM -
    Cujo (1983 / directed by Lewis Teague) - [​IMG]

Ah, Lewis Teague: ever-reliable workhorse purveyor of middle-of-the-road horror. It's no Cat's Eye (darker, more clever, funny, mean-spirited, and makes you feel a little guilty for enjoying it) but it's half as strong as it needs to be. I'm pretty sure the problems here can be blamed on King. Dee Wallace is relatable...but in most of the worst ways a person can be. The husband is a doormat. We know why it sucks to be the wife but it's clearly not so rosy in Husbandville either. I felt worse for him than for her. The monster analogy is useless if it can't drum up a little spookiness in the beginning, which really makes you want to turn off the movie for a solid 10 minutes. Thankfully, it gets more interesting but, then... it gets puzzling. A person snaps in and out of a seizure state at will? A person can function completely normally after a vicious bite from a rabid animal for 24 hours or more? Who the hell is responsible for the bad dye in the cereal, this is hardly business as usual? Oh, so Dee's lover just also happens to be a jealous psycho? That's pretty convenient. The wooden beam is strong enough to hold the cop's weight when he hangs from it but he slips and then it's weak enough to be broken by his head landing against it in midair? Why is almost every guy in rural Maine a robot or a jerk? Did he say... have another baby? He didn't really just say that- he's stoned. He has a drug problem? What a louse! Nice ending too.

Not.

20. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

120.03.13 (5)

[​IMG]

The Apparition (2012) (Blu-ray) [​IMG]

Young couple must face paranormal inactivity from a once captured and now unleashed angry spirit. This film sort of dips into haunted house territory but its really not. This film also wants to be scary but its really not. This film has a mind-blowing hilariously bad ending which elevated my rating to 3/5. The Apparition certainly has its decent parts, kind of, which makes it hard to label it as a full fledged bad movie. On the other hand this film is not very original. It's like we've been there and done that a million times before. I can see why Warner shelved it for two years and gave it a limited release.

[​IMG]

Grabbers (2012) (Blu-ray) [​IMG]

Irish people must face terror in form of tentacles - these mutant creatures fear alcohol so the people get drunk to stay alive. Entertaining Horror-Comedy without being silly or goofy. That's how I like my Horror-Comedies.

[​IMG]

Tucker and Dale vs Evil (2010) (Blu-ray) [​IMG]

Smart Backwoods-Horror spoof about two sympathetic Hillbillies on vacation mistaken for bloodthirsty maniacs by a group of young students also on vacation. So funny its impossible NOT to laugh! I've actually wouldn't mind a sequel.