The 2014 Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

October 31st: Halloween H20: 20 Years Later

Kind of a whimper to end October with, but I was pressed for time, and I've made a habit of only revisiting the original every other year. Strengths include the re-introduction of Jamie Lee Curtis as well as a few fairly suspenseful moments (though it doesn't quite match the earlier efforts in this regard). I liked how the nervous Laurie imagines seeing Michael all day, leading up to a frightening scene where she closes her eyes to make him go away, only to have him even closer when she opens them again.

[​IMG]

But man... the mask looks terrible. I mean how difficult could it be to replicate the Shatner one? The final chase is also tame compared to the ones in 1 and 2. And apart from a pumpkin here and there and a person or two randomly in costume on the street, we don't really get the feeling that it's Halloween.

It's definitely not one of the stronger entries in the franchise, but things would get a lot worse in the next one... Oh, boy! :eek1:

2. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 31ST:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

TOTAL MOVIES WATCHED: 149

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  3. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Just got done watching Night of the Demons 2 on blu - such a great movie - I still give the edge to the first one but the second does not disappoint.
    4 out of 5 stars

4. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

October 31

Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982) (Scream Factory Blu-ray)
    Creepshow (1982) (Warner Blu-ray)
    Dawn of the Dead (1978) (Anchor Bay dvd)

5. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

[​IMG]

Ghostbusters BD
    Ghostbusters 2 BD

6. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

How is this one? I've been wanting to check it out but the DVD is extremely expensive!

7. maskull

October 30:

Got some catching up to do....
    A Day In Italy

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

City of the Living Dead (1980): To this day I have no idea why she screams when the kid is running towards her.

Maggots/worms flying at faces, drill to the head, puking up guts, bleeding eyes, brains being ripped out of skulls, rats eating dead bodies...you know, it's a Fulci movie. Plus it doesn't make a ton of sense. As I said, it's a Fulci movie.

Nightmare City (1980): Scene after scene of dudes with mud on their faces attacking people with guns, knives, teeth, and drinking their blood...and ripping women's shirts off. Really goofy, over-the-top Italian zombie/rage virus/The Crazies flick with some great gore set pieces, bad dubbing, blood everywhere, dancing, and a twist ending that is both stupid and awesome at the same time.

The Beyond (1981): It seems like I love this movie a bit more every time I watch it. It might even be my favourite Fulci film after this watch. The gore is top notch, the sense of dread is overwhelming. It's a nightmare on film. Now if only that idiot Doctor would learn to shoot the zombies in the head, not in the chest.

The House by the Cemetery (1981): Nope. This is still my favourite Fulci flick. Even with Bob and his annoyingly bad dubbed voice! It's the eyes man! Close ups of eyes (how shifty they are), eyes in the shadows, eye popping out of a skull. O.k., it's also about the bat scene, the Bob at the basement door scene, any scene in the basement, the gore, and Dr. Freudstein himself. That guy is freaky looking. Fulci does a slasher the way only Fulci could do it.

Sleepless (2001): I'm actually surprised how much I liked this one. It's nowhere near as good as his classics Suspiria, Deep Red, etc but it's also a lot better than his crap. Giallo I'm looking at you.

StageFright: Aquarius (1987): One the the better slashers out there and has a killer with an owl mask!

Zombi 3 (1988): More like the creatures from Nightmare City than anything seen in Zombi 2. The flying head is bad-ass and it's an extremely fun, kung fu zombie kind of flick.

8. maskull

October 31:

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!!!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Total films watched: 117
    First-time watches: 52

Top 5 First-time watches:

1. Excision (2012)
    2. Exte: Hair Extensions (2007)
    3. The Orphanage (2007)
    4. The Hidden (1987)
    5. Theatre of Blood (1973)

Thanks guys!!! My watch list is much longer now thanks to all the recommendations and viewings. See ya all next year!

9. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

It's a strange film. The horror related scenes are visually well done, but the movie shifts to comedy and musical numbers in the middle, and shifts back again to horror. I did like one comedy bit where an Indian actor (comedian Johnny Lever) impersonates Michael Jackson and comes out to background music from Thriller.

10. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

Fun as usual. Here is a recap of what I watched. First time viewings are in orange. See Y'all next year!

Hatchetwarrior's October Madness Viewings
    10/1- Black Sabbath (7/10)/Wake In Fright (8/10)
    10/2- Cabin Fever: Patient Zero (3/10)/Contracted (7/10)/Errors Of The Human Body (5/10)
    10/3- Bad Milo! (7/10)/Buck Wild (5/10)
    10/4- Alien Abduction (5/10)/The Devil's Pass (5/10)/WER (6.5/10)
    10/5- Doc Of The Dead (7/10)/Open Grave (7.5/10)/The Returned (6/10)
    10/6- Escape From Tomorrow (7/10)/Horns (8/10)
    10/7- Almost Human (4/10)/Last Days On Mars (4/10)/Plus One (6/10)
    10/8- Count Yorga, Vampire (5/10)/Return Of Count Yorga (5/10)
    10/9- Blood Glacier (4/10)/Grabbers (6.5/10)
    10/10- Haunter (7/10)/Oculus (7/10)/The Quiet Ones (5/10)
    10/11- The Baby (7/10)/Proxy (8/10)/We Are What We Are (2013) (8/10)
    10/12- 5 Dolls For An August Moon (4/10)/Kill, Baby, Kill! (7/10)
    10/13- The Den (4/10)/The Houses October Built (7/10)
    10/14- Female Vampire (2/10)/Vampire Lovers (7/10)
    10/15- The Cat & The Canary (1927) (6/10)/Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (1920) (7/10)
    10/16- All Cheerleaders Die (4/10)/Witching & Bitching (7.5/10)
    10/17- The Battery (8/10)/The Dead 2 (5/10)
    10/18- Alyce Kills (7/10)/Patrick: Evil Awakens (3/10)/The Purge: Anarchy(6/10)/The Ritual (6/10)
    10/19- The Believers (1987)(7/10)/Nightmare City (6/10)
    10/20- Fight Night (1985)/Killer Klowns From Outer Space/Night Of The Demons* (1988)
    10/21- Monster Squad/Night Of The Creeps/Waxwork
    10/22- The Burning/Funhouse/House On Sorority Row
    10/23- Dog Soldiers/Evil Dead (1984)/Wrong Turn
    10/24- Behind The Mask: The Rise Of Leslie Vernon/Cabin In The Woods/Severance/Shaun Of The Dead
    10/25- ABC's Of Death 2 (7/10)/Life After Beth (6/10)/Town That Dreaded Sundown (2014) (6/10)/WNUF Halloween Special (8/10)/VHS Viral (7/10)
    10/26- Night Of The Living Dead (1968)/Dawn Of The Dead (1978)/Day Of The Dead (1985)
    10/27- Blair Witch Project/Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)/Scream
    10/28- Exists (7.5/10)/See No Evil 2 (3/10)/Found (7/10)
    10/29- An American Werewolf In London/The Blob (1988)/Re-Animator/Return Of The Living Dead
    10/30- Creepshow/Ginger Snaps/Idle Hands/Trick r Treat
    10/31- Halloween (1978)/Halloween II (1981)/Halloween 4: Return of Michael Myers/Halloween 5: Revenge of Michael Myers

Final Talley: 88

Top Ten First Time Viewings

1) Wake In Fright
    2) The Battery
    3) WNUF Halloween Special
    4) Horns
    5) We Are What We Are (2013)
    6) Proxy
    7) Exists
    8) Witching & Bitching
    9) Open Grave
    10) Black Sabbath

11. rift

rift New Member

Well in 31 days I got through the first 8 discs of the Halloween Complete Collection as well as Terror in the Aisles and the commentary from Halloween 4 dvd. Definitely didn't reach my goal, but at the same time it was more physical media than I've watched in the rest of this year combined. I wish I could churn out the titles like the rest of you guys but caring for infant son plus wife who loves watching television when she gets home at night = ggpo

I'll probably finish off my musing in the Halloween box set thread, as it's been a fun and helpful exercise reconsidering the entire series.

12. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

[​IMG][​IMG]
    36 10/25 Svengoolie: The Wolf Man (1941)
    While people bang on Claude Rains for being a poor father, I truly think the doctor is at fault for knowing something is deeply wrong with Larry but does nothing directly for him. He always says he’ll talk with him the next day, and the next, and the next. In fact, based on early exposition, Rains is doing a lot better acting fatherly towards Larry. Now, after repeatedly pointing out how Sven never shows the Universal Classics in October, he ponied up for couple of big ones beginning with The Wolf Man. This is a new episode recorded this year, but he included old bits from previous Wolf Man episodes, including my all-time favorite exit door knocker; a drunk finding his way to the bar who still manages to make a half dozen werewolf jokes. I love the extra’s arm work at the door and Sven’s reactions. I’m so glad he included this as a skit for future airings.

[​IMG]
    Maleva reverses Talbot's doggie style. "Hurry, the dogs are coming!"

Sven also invited over as guest author Rick Goldschmidt, who wrote the 2011 book about Mad Monster Party and would be signing copies locally (unfortunately I wouldn’t be able to make that). Rick brought a host of Mad Monster Party figurines and a Boris Karloff Baron Von Frankenstein mask released this season by Trick or Treat Studios. They have masks for Dracula, The Monster, the Creature and skeleton band as well. I’m very tempted to snatch these up, but I wonder if they’ll have an after Halloween sale?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    37 10/25 The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971)
    After saying we needed more Joseph Cotten in horror, I’d forgotten he was in here. He’s a protagonist however, although co-credited with Vincent Price as such. But I’m talking antagonist all the way. :evil: It seems unfair that Cotten, the lead surgeon and therefore the most to blame for the surgery’s failure (whatever blame there is), gets off nearly scot-free, while eight other members of the team die. I noticed many of the characters mispronounce Phibes as Thebes, a fitting slip as the Ten Plagues visited upon Egypt is the going theme and Thebes in Egypt also encloses The Valley of the Kings; The Royal Necropolis.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    38 10/25 Svengoolie: Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)
    Chaney is quite good here, with his usual Larry “sky is fa’… erm… the moon is rising!” Talbot playing the perfect straight man. His timing is crucial and I’ll point to the locker room scene with Bud and Lou to demonstrate how spot on he is. It’s well known that Abbot got a 60% cut of the duo, as in vaudeville a good straight man is harder to find (funny men are a dime a dozen). I think between Chaney and Lugosi, Bela played it up much more for comedy while Chaney’s what makes this all play out so well. In order for the horror setting to come off you need an unsung performance like Chaney does here. With Vincent Price providing the final voice of the Invisible Man and Chaney making a second appearance tonight this made for a somewhat cohesive triple feature.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    As I mentioned once earlier on this forum, the Ghoulish State of Illinois has officially dedicated October 31st, 2014, as Svengoolie/Rich Koz Day for all his 30 years of local Televised service. We had a good scare a few years ago when he had a serious heart attack, but when it was his turn to come knocking on Death’s Door the Angel turned him away. Since then the city of Elgin, IL, has graced him with a brand new coffin (to replace his 30 year old one, now on display at The Museum of Broadcast Communications in Chicago) and there has been a community outpouring of gratitude. I am very proud of our denizens for continuing to jolt Sven’s li’l black heart when the rest of the national has given their own local horror hosts the cold shoulder.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    39 10/26 Creature from the Black Lagoon 3D (1954)
    The film takes some pains to show the one douche scientist as the aggressor but all the characters seem to forget the fact that two natives were slaughtered in the original camp; without provocation and seemingly well outside the boundaries of the Creature’s habitat. While initially they could not of know this, it becomes crystal clear later (after seeing the wounds) that it must have been the Gill Man. It seems entirely likely that, had the Creature been given the opportunity he certainly would have struck first blood. While I watched the new 3D Blu-ray the past two years, and it looks gorgeous, it seems like some of the fun of it just isn’t there. I have an old VHS copy of a broadcast 16mm anaglyph print I need to remind myself to watch that instead next year.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  13. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

[​IMG]
    40 10/27 The Invisible Man (1933)
    In film school today they teach you to shoot movies with coverage, a three camera setup to record a scene. It’s these three angles that you then edit with (with other shots sprinkled in). In the early 30’s you see a lot of wide stagey shots, much like watching a play (and is a common complaint of Dracula). James Whale never repeats a shot in his movies. He also used a lot of close ups and when he did go wide he often used extravagant camera moves. He was also a very fast cutter. This works especially well here as it’s chook full of gallows humor and any comedy works especially well with fast pacing; especially as at the time comedies were most likely to hold longer wide shots (just like Chaplin). There is a very timeless feel to these movies with the jokes about human behavior being spot on with how people react to threatening situations now. Whales was like the John Waters of his day indulging himself in bad people behaving even worse in terrible situations. Invisible Man rarely disappoints and is an absolute favorite of mine.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    41 10/28 The Island of Lost Souls (1932)
    I ended up with an unintentional H.G. Welles double feature here. I’m fairly use to my semi-blown out fuzzy LD, using the only washed out prints readily available at the time, the first way I ever saw the film. It gave it a nice Vaseline glamor look, which juxtaposed the inhuman atrocities on display. It’s almost disappointing to see a well exposed and defined film print. However this of course is not a complaint, I’d rather it be preserved crystal clear as it is here. The brilliant cinematography is still on show with many under lit foreground shots and use of staging and practical (lighting a cigarette) to adjust the lighting live. Criterion included a great discussion between John Landis, Rick Backer and Bob Burns. They marveled at Charles Gemora’s gorilla suit, which even seeing the footage replayed I could not tell was one. I figured it was stock footage or a rent-an-ape situation (it stays in a cage the whole time). Landis makes some excellent points about how well acted, well shot, with brilliant production design while stating that director Erle C. Kenton never did anything nearly as good before or since. Really makes one wonder if there wasn’t someone else pulling the strings here… I wonder if perhaps Landis was hinting that he knew?
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    42 10/29 The Mummy (1932)
    I watched the opening sequence again with the commentary including Bob Burns, and I couldn’t agree more with him that this sequence is one of the absolute best in the Universal canon. The whole scene plays out like something straight out of Lovecraft; word for word. When Van Sloan says, “I must speak with you, but not here. Come out under the stars of Egypt,” I still feel a primal stir within me. I was just talking to a co-worker today about astronomy and he mentioned that it still astounds him knowing that the sky is still nearly identical to how it was when cave men first looked at it; has for unfathomable years and shall hence. This dialog taps into that same paradigm. The Mummy is woefully under appreciated, even in Universal Classic circles (and even by Rick Baker who in the same commentary admitted to only really liking the makeup). It’s a slow burner for sure but it is absolutely captivating to my eyes.
    [​IMG]
    In the finale I always thought Van Sloan was a bit of a dope for not figuring out Imhotep would bring her to the museum (where he drew her first), but it occurred to me last night that Imhotep was probably calling to her from his lair, and when he knew he had her, that’s when he and the Nubian broke back into the museum. So Van Sloan knew where she would go but had to risk letting her be taken there to draw Imhotep out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    43 10/30 Rifftrax Live!: Anaconda (1997)
    I did a search for J.Lo and Anaconda but these pics are all that came up. Guess I’ll just have to use ’em. I don’t recall these scenes in the Rifftrax presentation but then I was laughing too hard most of the time and my eyes may have been closed while I clutched my side in stitches. The Rifftrax for Godzilla was somewhat disappointing earlier in the year for me so I had somewhat lower expectations coming in to Anaconda, but they were in rare form tonight with a lot of ad lib ribbing and goofing around in the opening introductions. My theater’s crowd was also in an appreciative mood with a lot of cheers, clapping and excited gasps when MST3k dress ups are spotted in the North Carolina crowd. I look forward to the replay next Tuesday.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Naturally they opened with a short ephemeral film, Halloween Party (1953), which reminds me of Mr. B Natural with its subversive gender bending subtext. A young boy designs a fluffy white cat costume for the school Halloween parade, but is eaten by the alpha German shepherd. Now this costume alone is enough to question the boy’s gender identification, but his mother decides as a replacement to dress him up by wrapping him in a flamboyant cloth roll, sombrero, and lipstick for makeup as a “LADY SCARECROW.” :gay: Word for word what this nineteen fifties short calls him. The school parade itself was more like a pride parade than anything else with brightly colored non-horror costumes and looked more like Mardi Gras. Our impressionable young boy explicitly wins the contest because of the “unusual” choice and homemade costume (not store bought). He shares his reward equally with his fellow loser classmates. It’s really eye opening to see such a socially responsible film for children in what is considered the uptick into the red scare. It’s a reminder that conservatism was not as prevalent at the time as we might believe. Must be seen to believe.
    [​IMG]
    May not be found under the Fat Girl section at Walmart. So make your own!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  14. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

October 29th to 31st

[​IMG]
    Never watched the complete Halloween series from start to finish before. Most years I'll watch the first three or four and five. This year I decided to give the whole series a try.

[​IMG]

On Wednesday I watched the first two followed by part four, saving Season of The Witch for Halloween day. Had Thursday of so I did a Marathon of five through to Zombie's two. And for Halloween day it was time for Halloween III. For the most part it was a fun ride. Still love the first three. Four and five are a lot of fun. Six I like in a it's so bad it's good sort of way. H20 sadly didn't hold up so well after not seeing it for a few years. Seemed almost like a Lifetime movie featuring Mr. Myers. Still enjoy Resurrection for the most part. Zombie's remake I'm middle of the road on, but his 2nd Halloween I really like it. Every time I watch it I feel so bad for Annie.

For me Season of The Witch is the perfect way to end the month. Hope everybody had a great October.
    [​IMG]

15. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I only managed to watch one - Society. Cheesily great in its own way, the picture on the German blu-ray is really good.

16. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Working shifts made it hard for me to update here the last few days, though I took off half a day from work on Halloween. My Halloween line up:

[​IMG]

FleshEater (1988) ~ Fun little Zombieflick with cheap gore and cheesy thrills.

[​IMG]

Happy Birthday to Me (1981) ~ Still one of the most outrageous but effective slasher endings.

[​IMG]

Amusement (2008) ~ A bit underrated, but not very much. I still enjoy watching this once in a while.

[​IMG]

The House of the Devil (2009) ~ I just love everything about this movie. I started watching this at midnight sharp. Great flick to end this years Halloween.

17. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Not to sound like I'm living under a rock but I wasn't aware of "Svengoolie" until recently. I don't live in the U.S. but I've been dwelling horror internet forums for over 10 years, "Svengoolie" hardly gets mentioned anywhere. I assume he isn't as popular as Elvira, Joe Bob or Mystery Science Theater 3000?

18. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Outside of the Chicago-area? Probably not.

He's been a local fixture, in some on-air capacity or another, for the past 35 years. He didn't get a national audience until Weigel Broadcasting went nationwide with Me-TV a few years ago, and he's still probably not getting the kind of exposure that Elvira's Movie Macabre (syndicated nationwide), MonsterVision (TNT) or MST3K (Comedy Central) ever did.

19. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Ahhh ok, that clears it up. Thanks.

20. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Total: 47 feature length films. (Target Met: at least one a day)
    00 10/01 Bewitched: Samantha and the Antique Doll (S07E28 1971)
    01 10/01 Vampira: The Thirteenth Guest (1932)
    02 10/02 The Cat and the Canary (1939)
    03 10/03 The Legend of Hell House (1973)
    04 10/03 WNUF Halloween Special (2013)
    05 10/04 Svengoolie: The Monster and the Girl (1941)
    00 10/04 Rifftrax: Total Riff Off - Demon Bat (2014)
    06 10/04 Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht ( Nosferatu the Vampyre ) (1979)
    07 10/04 Nosferatu ( Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens ) (1922)
    08 10/05 Shadow of the Vampire (2000)
    09 10/06 The Vampire Lovers (1970)
    10 10/07 Twins of Evil (1971)
    11 10/08 Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural (1973)
    12 10/09 Valerie and Her Week of Wonders ( Valerie a týden divů ) (1970)
    13 10/10 Witchfinder General (1968)
    14 10/10 The Wicker Man (1973)
    15 10/11 Svengoolie: The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957)
    16 10/11 Svengoolie: The Uninvited (1944)
    17 10/12 Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Killer Shrews (1959)
    18 10/12 Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Giant Gila Monster (1959)
    19 10/12 Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Giant Spider Invasion (1975)
    20 10/13 Black Sunday ( La Maschera del demonio ) (1960)
    21 10/14 Black Sabbath ( I Tre volti della paura ) (1963)
    22 10/15 Baron Blood ( Gli orrori del castello di Norimberga ) (1972)
    23 10/16 Lisa and the Devil ( Lisa e il diavolo ) (1973)
    24 10/17 Mystery Science Theater 3000: Werewolf (1996)
    25 10/17 Mystery Science Theater 3000: Soultaker (1990)
    26 10/17 Mystery Science Theater 3000: Zombie Nightmare (1986)
    27 10/18 Mystery Science Theater 3000: Hobgoblins (1987)
    00 10/18 Halloween Is Grinch Night (1977)
    28 10/18 Phantom of the Paradise (1974)
    29 10/18 Spider Baby, or The Maddest Story Ever Told (1968)
    00 10/18 The Legend of Sleepy Hollow ( The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad ) (1949)
    30 10/19 Viy ( Вий ) (1967)
    31 10/20 White Zombie (1932)
    32 10/21 House of Usher (1960)
    33 10/22 Pit and the Pendulum (1961)
    34 10/23 The Haunted Palace (1963)
    35 10/24 The Masque of the Red Death (1964)
    36 10/25 Svengoolie: The Wolf Man (1941)
    37 10/25 The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971)
    38 10/25 Svengoolie: Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)
    39 10/26 Creature from the Black Lagoon 3D (1954)
    40 10/27 The Invisible Man (1933)
    41 10/28 The Island of Lost Souls (1932)
    42 10/29 The Mummy (1932)
    43 10/30 Rifftrax Live!: Anaconda (1997)

[​IMG]
    44 10/31 Mystery Science Theater 3000: "Manos" The Hands of Fate (1966)
    I usually watch the best of the worst horror MST3k during Trick 'r Treat hours of the day, like Bride of the Monster and The Creeping Terror. Today I only got home in time to watch one during this time, so I picked this perennial. I skipped over "Hired, Pt. 2." Man, do I regret not watching this in theater with Rifftrax Live! now. There was a time when I shrugged off Rifftrax Live as paying too much to watch the eventual DVD, but since seeing Starship Troopers I never miss it Live! I occurred to me that I never really watch my favorites during the year so I don't get the time to truly appreciate the best of the best episodes anymore. I need to sit down and watch my shored up MST3k seasonal favorites and enjoy them more.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    45 10/31 Mystery Science Theater 3000: "Manos" The Hands of Fate (1966)
    My friends stopped by just after the trick 'r treaters tapered off and Manos had finished. Having either not seen Manos in a long time or not at all, they were very eager to see it for themselves. One more Time?!? Why not!?! We even watched "Hired." I also book ended it with the hour version intro/outro's. I've come to the unbelievable but none the less true statement that "Manos" is not only not really that bad (like Monster A Go-Go), it's kinda good. There's an odd edge of your seat "what's going to happen next (wrong)?" quality to it. The story itself is rather unique and inventive. I had to laugh a lot as I'd forgotten home much time is spent doing nothing in scenes. When Synapse finally puts out the complete uncut Blu-ray I think I'm ready now to sit down and watch this pure and unadulterated (too bad I didn't have such will last year when this toured theatrically).
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    00 10/31 Hypnoscope (19??)
    After watching this for a few years now it use to be the most annoying thing in the world that I forced myself to sit through because it was all part of the experience. I've now come to really enjoy this and strangely wish it was even longer! Just this year I noticed too that the voice over says they'll return after the film ends to take you back out of the trance. I wonder if there's an additional (missing?) film for this or if perhaps promoters did that bit from the stage.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    00 10/31 Monsters Crash the Pajama Party (1965)
    What's a midnight double feature without the Spook Show trappings? While the opening visual credits are a slog (but fun) padding things out to get to 30 minutes the rest of this z-grade quickie is some well aged blue cheese; hardcore stuff but smells like the feet of the gods for film fanatics with discerning tastes. There is a an actual budget here though with sets and characters straight out of Scooby Doo. Now I actually loathe Scooby, but this pre-dates them and 1966's Batman, plus the monsters here are real! They come right off the screen! In this day and age I think this could play out really well for a theatrical crowd, especially with the whole live components in a theater. Would love to see Spook Shows revived!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    46 10/31 Dracula (1931)
    Early in October I screen a Nosferatu triple feature, but Bela Lugosi's portray still has the key to Dracula in my heart. It occurred to me in this viewing that something of a plot hole is formed by having Renfield go to Transylvania. How does the Count even get in contact with him? As Tim Lucas's Book of Renfield expands upon Bram Stoker's novella, Renfield was already Dracula's servant in London who acted as an agent to find Carfax Abbey and directed fresh blooded Harker to close the deal. So who is Dracula's henchman in London before all this? Who sent Renfield? Or did Dracula just look up Renfield in the blue book? We may never know...
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    "Oh no... God will not damn a poor lunatic's soul... He knows that the powers of evil are too great for those with weak minds."

[​IMG]
    00 10/31 Frankenstein (1910)
    Halloween falls on Frankenstein Friday this year! I noticed a visual motif in Frankenstein's bedroom of the Monster peering through the curtains over the bed. This appears to be from Henry Fuseli's Nightmare, who had an affair with Mary Wollstonecraft; who later gave birth to Mary Shelley (no relation to Fuseli). This is very unusual staging so it's doubtful that this would have been coincidental. The director must have done his homework.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Boy I hope Gothic (1986) gets a Blu-ray release soon. I'm very tempted to buy the UK 16x9 DVD.

[​IMG]
    47 10/31 Frankenstein (1931)
    With the improvement in definition in visuals and audio I've come to appreciate all the classics even more so now. There are a lot of subtleties throughout that are only apparent on a big screen with higher sound. For example while Frankenstein is turning the house upside down looking for his blasphemous creation, the groaning is more clearly a creaking sound now with the higher fidelity (and a brilliant balance for the Foley). This plays more into James Whale's sense of humor and human study than the worn down soundtrack once conveyed. Now while this scene plays out as more common in all of horror, it seems Whales also took inspiration from Fuseli's Nightmare; more closely emulating a second commission Fuesli made on the same subjects. One wonders too if Whales himself saw the Edison version? It's become clear now that Universal screen Nosferatu and the other German bootleg of Phantom of the Opera before making their own versions. So it' may be possible they screened this for Whales if he hadn't already sought it out on his own. If so, Whales would have had to have the eye for it at the time.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Unfortunately by 2AM I could barely keep my eyes open after Frankenstein and could not finish the night with Bride of Frankenstein (1935) as I traditionally do. Mix of friends over on Halloween and taking too much time between films. Last year I just barely pulled it off. Oh well, next year! I'm very happy with how this season's marathon came out. I stuck almost entirely with films I'd already seen with a specific All Hollow's Eve feel in mind so nothing disappointed. My Halloween Party's selection seemed off from the previous two years, but I knew going into the night it was going to be hard to top the last few. I'm already penciling in next year's schedule!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014