The 2014 Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2014.

1. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

October 1
    Ginger Snaps (2000) Such a great movie and great transfer on blu
    4.5 out of 5

Oct 2
    Halloween (1978) The 35th anniversary transfer is spectacular
    5 out of 5

Oct 3
    Nightmare Sisters (1988) Such a fun silly trashy movie
    3.5 out of 5

2. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Honestly, next to Hellraiser, Part III and Bloodline have always been my favourites of the series...and yeah, Paula Marshall hubba hubba!

3. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13 Eerie DVD ~ An entertaining zombie film starring Katherine Isabelle about forensic students on an island that once was a prison for criminals with life sentences. The prison was also a biological testing ground for human experimentation. Can you guess what happens? Yep, the corpses of the dead prisoners come back to life and start to rampage the island. Lots of nice kills and a good amount of gore in this one. There is a scene where Katherine Isabelle is trapped in a cabin with two zombies that I found to be quite entertaining. I didn't like the ending though. I think this is listed on Netflix. It's worth a watch.

The Battery BD ~ A zombie apocalypse film about two baseball teammates traveling the land and just trying to stay alive. The film is more about the two characters getting to know each other and even though they're teammates, they never really hung out. This started out very slow but slowing grew on me the more I watched. Not very gory but it does have a lot of great scenes with the two characters. I like the music in this one too. Worth a watch.

Stake Land BD
    Seventh Moon BD

4. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Active Member

October 2nd

5. The Monster Club (1981)
    Had not seen this in about 25 years and was as fun and crazy as I remembered. Great music between the segments and definitely was an end a era for this type of British produced horror movie.

6. Pumpkinhead (1988)
    First time viewing. Did not know much about this film going into it and was expecting an halloween themed movie and was pleasantly surprised with the overall film, pumpkinhead was a scary monster and it's always good to see Lance Hendrickson on screen. Will need to check out the sequels.

7. The Last Man On Earth (1964)
    Great performance from Vincent Price and pretty much could make reading a shopping list seem interesting. It is easy to connect with the feelings of isolation and loneliness that we all feel at least once in our lifes and Price expertly conveys those feelings to the viewer.

5. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 2nd:

Night of the Creeps (director's cut)
    The Boogens
    Slugs
    Slither
    Ticks

6. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

October 2nd

HUMONGOUS

Enjoyable mid-tier slasher.

Scattered thoughts:

Surprisingly nasty rape scene for a relatively mild slasher movie.
    David Wallace is beautiful.
    [​IMG]
    Wish we got to see the killer more clearly.
    "I'll just isolate my deformed child on this remote island, thank you very much" - did the writer see Tower of Evil?
    Actually, the killer looks like the one in Tower of Evil as well. And neither is fond of fire.
    [​IMG]
    Also, as others have commented, the writer must have seen Friday the 13th Part 2.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  7. rift

rift New Member

Halloween 2007 (HCC Disc 2)

Wow. While watching the 35th Anniversary cut I thought the picture looked great, but I didn't realize how great until watching this 2007 cut on disc 2 of the box set. Going back and watching this one, the colors look absolutely garish by comparison - everything jumps out in a neon glow, taking away from the fall season feel and dark foreboding atmosphere as originally intended.

I liked the commentary track on this one more than the ones on the 35th disc because of the involvement of Debra Hill. Her segments were great and very informative. I wish we had gotten a track of just her and Carpenter for the entire movie.

Halloween: A Cut Above the Rest is a decent doc that is padded by way too much footage from the movie. Maybe because I've sat through the movie 4 times in the past 2 days already, but I didn't need to see entire scenes lifted into the doc. Not much new info is presented here, but I did love the very short snippets of an interview Donald Pleasence did during the filming of the movie. His presence has always been sorely missed from basically all Halloween-series extras, which is a shame as his perspective would be the most unique.

8. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I'm attempting to average one a day in October and only watch movies I HAVE NOT seen before. Of course I totally forgot I HAD seen "Kill, Baby… Kill" already which is not my favorite Bava. Thankfully Netflix has me set with lots of one-star choices for the month.

October 2:
    Kill, Baby… Kill (1966)

October 1:
    The Legend of Hell House (1973)

9. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

** = first time viewing
    10/01 - Halloween (1978) 9/10
    10/01 - Halloween II (1981) 6/10
    10/02 - Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker (Night Warning) (1982) 6/10 **

[​IMG]

Halloween (1978) 9/10
    I watched the entire Halloween franchise, for the first time, back in 2009 and really enjoyed it. With my third viewing of Carpenter’s 1978 classic I think I’m ready to consider it as my favorite slasher. Interesting kills and a general sleaziness is what interests me in the genre but HALLOWEEN offers so much more than most lesser slashers. With amazing cinematography, a haunting score and likeable characters I can understand how this film became an October staple for so many horror fans.

The latest blu-ray is stunning but I couldn’t help but wish that the leaves and grass were less green. The green really “pops” with the added detail.

[​IMG]

Halloween II (1981) 6/10
    When I watched HALLOWEEN II (1981) for the first time back in 2009 I thought it was dreadful. Now I watch immediately after the original and find it to be a much better experience. Like the original, its strengths are its score and cinematography. What it lacks in engaging characters it makes up for with interesting kills. It still has a few things that annoy me, like Michael’s loss of depth perception whenever Laurie is within reach, but that doesn’t keep the two films from making an enjoyable double-feature.

[​IMG]

Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker (Night Warning) (1982) 6/10 **

Wow, this a damn good film that offers much more than most slashers and revenge flicks. Susan Tyrrell is amazing. She should have been in more horror films. I’ve never cared for Bo Svenson but he’s perfect in his role as the psycho detective. One part of the ending was a bit unbelievable and I hate that they felt the need to give us a text based synopsis of how everyone made out. The extras on the Code Red DVD are well worth the time.

10. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 3rd
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6) Bad Milo: This turned out way better than I had expected it. The story was more well rounded than I expected and the comedy was not nearly as juvenile as the trailer leads it out to be (not that you could expect anything less from a movie about a monster that lives in a man’s ass). It defiantly owes a lot to Frank Henenlotter, and some of the CGI is quite bad, but overall this is an entertaining horror comedy. (7/10)

7) Buck Wild: A mediocre horror comedy. Sure, there are few good jokes spread out, but overall the film as a whole falls pretty flat. My biggest pet peeve has to be the characters, the “New York” guy in particular, who has the worst accent ever and proceeds to say “Boss” at the end of every sentence (being from New York myself I may be bias here). Okay at best, but nothing spectacular. (5/10)

11. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

FINAL EXAM may not be a great slasher but I had fun with the film. The first 50 minutes are an ANIMAL HOUSE style comedy and the last 40 minutes are a passable slasher. The characters and the look of the film kept me engaged for the full runtime. I also appreciated that it was different.

Glad to see someone take the piss out of this film. I just don't get the love this one receives. I remember being bored to tears and unimpressed with the alien.

12. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Why not, I'll give it a try. Hopefully I can keep up with it.

Word of warning, I'll probably rate everything 5 / 5 just because it's October so I'm deliberately watching movies I love.

October 1st:

[​IMG]

1.) The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) (40th Anniversary Collector's Edition blu-ray) - Technically I watched this on September 30th, but since watching the extras took until 3AM on October 1st, I'm counting it. Adore the movie, goes without saying. Also enjoyed going through the extras, even though most of them were the same as the previous blu-ray, including the two feature-length documentaries. I had read Gunnar Hansen's book Chainsaw Confidential recently, and this was my first time watching the movie since then. 5 / 5

[​IMG]

2.) Halloween (1978) (35th Anniversary Edition blu-ray from The Complete Collection set) - Had planned on waiting until a little closer to Halloween to dive into this set, but I couldn't wait any longer. It was sitting on the shelf, taunting me. Besides, there are three different versions of Halloween in the set, so I'm sure I'll be seeing it again before the month is through. Again, adore the film. This was my first time watching it since I had visited the filming locations in L.A. earlier this year. I had previously owned the first blu-ray release, so this was my first time viewing the 35th Anniversary Edition. I think the gray tinting probably gives it a more authentic "fall in Illinois" look (well, more like winter), but I think I prefer the sunnier look of the first blu-ray. Either way, both versions look absolutely gorgeous, so it's win win, especially since the box set includes both. "The Night She Came Home" featurette was a treat as well, although I wish they had included more of the Q&A instead of dwelling on the fan stuff. 1 disc down, 14 to go. 5 / 5

[​IMG]

3.) Wrong Turn (2003) (blu-ray) - I love this movie. Actually, I love the whole franchise. If they keep making 'em, I'll keep watching 'em. It's fast, fun, and gory. Super polished and easy to look at. At 84 minutes, it doesn't waste any time, a chase movie from start to finish. Lots of replay value. Can't wait for the 6th one! 5 / 5

October 2nd:

[​IMG]

4.) Twin Peaks: Season 1, Episodes 6 - 7 (The Entire Mystery blu-ray) - I hadn't watched the series since I was in college, so I'm having a blast revisiting on this blu-ray set. Such a beautiful, haunting, and endlessly entertaining show. This was also the season 1 finale, so episode 7 was loaded with twists, turns, arson, and attempted murders! Also ended with a TO BE CONTINUED... so I can't wait to delve into season 2 tonight. 5 / 5

[​IMG]

5.) Halloween II (1981) (Scream Factory Collector's Edition blu-ray from The Complete Collection set) - Love this sequel, plays really well with the first film. I'm always shocked by the razor blade in the mouth gag near the beginning, and love the cameo from Anne-Marie Martin / Eddie Benton (Prom Night / The Boogens). I already had this release (as well as the first Universal blu-ray), so I'd already seen the extras, but I watched them again for the hell of it. Interesting to see Skip Schoolnik in the interview footage, as he directed a guilty pleasure of mine: Hide & Go Shriek. 2 discs down, 13 to go. 5 / 5

13. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

10/1: Slumber Party Massacre II (1987)-8/10
    10/1: Witch's Brew (2011)-7/10
    10/1: Ghoulies (1985)-7/10
    10/1: Blood Gnome (2004)
    10/1: TerrorVision (1986)-10/10
    10/1: The Video Dead (1987)-8/10
    10/1: The Carrier (1988)-8/10
    10/1: Murder-Set Pieces (2004)-8/10
    10/2: Neon Maniacs (1986)-8/10
    10/2: It's Alive III: Island of the Alive (1987)-8/10
    10/2: The Den (2013)-8/10
    10/2: +1 (2013)-8/10

14. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 3RD:

The Being
    The Hidden
    The Blob
    The Brain
    The Borrower
    The Faculty

15. maskull

October 03:

[​IMG]

Scream Park (2013): A couple of interesting shots and at least an attempt at some gore (emphasis on attempt), plus Doug Bradley has a brief appearance...and so does the puzzle box from Hellraiser...and Nivek Ogre from Skinny Puppy plays one of the killers (which is why I even watched this).

Unfortunately the rest of this movie is just bad. Cliches, terrible acting, long stretches of nothing happening (say the first 30-40 minutes of the movie) and worst of all, most of the movie is just boring. Oh yeah the editing is really annoying too...and the ending is pretty lame.

16. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

October 2nd-

Had the day off so time to finish the Hellraiser series.

[​IMG]
    Inferno I've never really cared for. Hellworld sucks, although it's funny seeing the future Man Of Steel as one of the victims. Hellseeker has it's moments and it's great seeing Ashley Laurence back.

[​IMG]
    Deader wasn't bad. Probably the one I liked the most of the films after Bloodline. Plus I'm always up for some Kari Wuhrer.

[​IMG]
    Um....what can I say about Revelations? It really didn't do anything for me. At least it brought skinless people back to the series.

17. maskull

October 03 cont.:

[​IMG]

Barrio Tales (2012): It's an anthology movie but really the stories are too straight forward. No real twists...ok the second story has a bit of one....and the stories don't have much to offer in the way of excitement. It's not horribly done, it just felt like a waste of time watching it.

18. rift

rift New Member

Agreed on Deader being the strongest of the dtv sequels...which isn't saying much

19. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

October 3
    [​IMG]
    Poltergeist II The Other Side (1986)

I've never seen the Poltergeist sequels, I always assumed they weren't worth the time. And while this one pretty much lived up to my low expectations, it was never boring and at least gave me a few laughs. Worth a one off but I can't see ever revisiting it. The shot of the dog fighting with the haunted electrical cable is worth the price of admission.

20. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

October 3:
    House at the End of the Street (2012)
    October 2:
    Kill, Baby… Kill (1966)
    October 1:
    The Legend of Hell House (1973)