The 2014 Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

10/03/14 (4)

[​IMG][​IMG]

The Silent Scream (1979) ~ Student Scotty must look for accommodations off-campus and finds vacancy at a mansion on the beach run by a creepy guy and his strange mother. Soon enough Scotty and her three housing mates fall victim to a deadly secret hidden behind the walls of the mansion. Solid Terror Flick with good performances and thrilling moments of suspense. 4/5

The Unseen
    (1980) ~ Three female journalists stuck in rural county without a place to stay overnight find vacancy at an old house owned by a creepy guy and his strange wife. Soon enough the three women fall victim to a deadly secret hidden behind the walls of the house. A bit on the campy side with misogynistic undertones and a mind blowing unintentional hilarious ending. 3.5/5

2. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

October 1

The Legend of Boggy Creek (1972)
    The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976)

October 2

Curtains (1983)

October 3

The Evil (1978)
    The Haunting (1963)
    The Legend of Hell House (1973)

3. rift

rift New Member

[​IMG]

Halloween 2

Halloween 2 was the first horror movie I ever bought. It was a VHS release some time in the early/mid 90s when consumer-priced vhs tapes became a thing. I actually had to get my older friend to buy it as the store in the mall wouldn't let you if you were under 18. I really liked the movie back then and watched it all the time. I felt it was a really focused, taut suspense thriller with a bunch of cool deaths. There was definitely a line worn in the video at a point during the sauna scene. For one reason or another I never upgraded that vhs tape until now, so I was excited to revisit it after so many years and see if it held up. Short answer: it hasn't.

My viewing of Halloween 2 was a big disappointment. This was the movie I thought at one point was the strongest sequel? I spent the entire time watching this movie picking it apart and ruminating on why it wasn't working. There's so much wrong with it but the overarching problem I think is that this just wasn't the story that should've been told. There were lots of ways to take a sequel, even a sequel that takes place immediately following the first film, and this was the worst possible option. Unlike almost all sequels, everything about this one feels *smaller* than the first one. it even seems like they had a smaller budget to shoot the thing! The suspense is non-existent and practically all the scares are cheap jump scares. But the biggest knock against it is the characters.

What really struck me on this viewing is how lame the characters are and how little we are invested in any of them. JLC is completely wasted in the film and her character is basically unrecognizable from the heroine in the first film (a big reason why this story shouldn't have been told). She has maybe 3 lines in the entire film, having to spend most of it in different states of shock or fear. This isn't the dynamic personality we bonded with before - this is a stiff mute mannequin that could've been played by anyone.

The rest of the cast doesn't even rise to Friday the 13th-levels of respectability. I can't think of a less interesting, less sympathetic group of victims. So much of the film is spent on Michael killing them, but we just don't care. We aren't invested in the slightest, so it's not scary at all. It's like the opening scene of Friday the 13th Part 3 is drawn out for a a whole movie. Hell the only somewhat interesting character, the black female doctor, is the one who dies off camera!

The other thing that kills the suspense in the film is the amount of POV shots from Michael's perspective. Why are we seeing these at all? Were there any in the first one once he became The Shape? If the audience is seeing the action through Michael's eyes, then by definition it isn't scary.

I find it strange that my memory of this film is all about the cat and mouse game between JLC and Michael, but watching it now, that takes up a relatively short portion of the 3rd act, with the majority of the film being Michael killing the hospital staff and Loomis acting crazy. It's a steep drop for Loomis - he had a cheesy line or two in the first film, but in this one he's just batshit hammy.

Dean Cundey is still great, although there were a few garishly-lit shots with Michael in them that I didn't love. I also like the cheesy music alterations to the original score. The movie looked great on blu ray. I don't know how I'm going to make it through the tv cut...

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  4. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

[​IMG]

4 All Night Horror Marathon DVD

5. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Oct.3. Lust For A Vampire. (1971). Decided to throw in some Hammer horror into the mix. I know 'Lust' has a reputation as being the lesser entry in the Karnstein trilogy but I've always enjoyed it as I do most Jimmy Sangster directed Hammer efforts. Remarkable for a high level of nudity and one of the worst theme songs to ever feature in Hammer films. 'Lust' was one of the first Hammer films that I discovered as a child, as such it remains a personal favorite. 8/10.

6. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

October 3rd:
    Dead Hooker In a Trunk
    Subspecies

Hadn't seen either before. Really enjoyed em both!

7. muceo13

muceo13 Member

Oct. 2nd
    Son Of Frankenstein(1939)
    The Sacrament(2013)
    Oct. 3rd
    You're Next(2011)
    Freddy's Nightmares(tv)-Dream Come True

8. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

10/3: Chopping Mall (1986)-10/10
    10/3: Trilogy of Terror (1975)-7/10
    10/3: Blades (1989)-8/10
    10/3: Blood Hook (1986)-7/10

9. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

October 1
    Ginger Snaps (2000) Such a great movie and great transfer on blu
    4.5 out of 5

Oct 2
    Halloween (1978) The 35th anniversary transfer is spectacular
    5 out of 5

Oct 3
    Nightmare Sisters (1988) Such a fun silly trashy movie
    3.5 out of 5

Oct 4
    Wrong Turn (2003) I've always liked this movie and with Eliza Dushku makes it even better. I still need to see all the sequels though.
    4 out of 5

10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

[​IMG]
    00 10/01 Bewitched: Samantha and the Antique Doll (S07E28 1971)
    As luck would have it a very seasonal episode was on during the day. Samantha convinces her mother in-law that the mother-in-law is a witch! The mother deduces that an antique doll her own grandmother gave her is really her familiar (admittedly the mythology is a little off here), Samantha plans to turn her father-in-law into a Pan inspired goat and there's a pretty cool seance were a floating sheet with a bubbling field of vapor for a head makes an appearance! Not only that, the great-great-grandmother they summon up is Irish Celtic fitting in very nicely with Samhain. I'm not a huge fan of the show, and this episode isn't even of the preferable Dick York variety, but was seasonal and enjoyable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    01 10/01 Vampira: The Thirteenth Guest (1932)
    I've made it a tradition to start off the year with Vampira; having the first horror host play the intro to my horror marathon so to speak. While The 13th Guest may not be the best film to start with it's Vampira's only remaining one and not a bad choice at that with Lyle Talbot and Ginger Rogers. After watching this for a few years now I just made the connection that Vampira makes an electric chair joke before the film starts and the film ends with an electric chair joke too. With the old dark house, macabre flourishes and plenty of gallows humor this still remains a fun fitting film to start off October.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    02 10/02 The Cat and the Canary (1939)
    Ghost Breakers with Bob Hope and Paulette Goddard is one of my absolute favorites since I was a wee monster lad. However I hadn't seen its predecessor, The Cat and the Canary remake with Hope and Goddard, until a few years ago. It first struck me as more of a knock off of other spook houses than anything else, but after two or three viewings I began to see it more for what it is than what it isn't. Now I have come to love it just as much, if not more, as the atmosphere is much more pervasive and cinematography far above. And by some coincidence, another cast member, Gale Sondergaard, was also on Svengoolie the other week when he showed The Black Cat; a similarly themed film.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    03 10/03 The Legend of Hell House (1973)
    An absolutely gorgeous atmospheric film which really elevates both the visual and the sonic levels to a new high, setting up Suspiria to crank it all to 11 soon after. Even though the ghosts come out to play very early on there's a nice slow build up here with great practical effects and engrossing sound scape. It seems almost certain with all the handheld camera work, innovative use of electronic sound and title cards of the day and hour, that Kubrick must have been influenced by this for The Shining.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    04 10/03 WNUF Halloween Special (2013)
    This has such an authentic feel to it you'd be tempted to believe every analog frame of it to be true. Hardly missing a beat, the only complaint I have is that the word "LIVE!!!" would be EVERYWHERE in such a broadcast. The commercials for the Heavy Metal cassette club and midnight TV show are a nice subtle touch of how satanism may be reaching the local youths through the very TV station claiming to protect the young with anti-drug/suicide/etc commercials. I really want to dust off some SWV Christian scare films now for the month.

[​IMG]

The last three films all had a small black cat which crept in a nice little sub-theme through the week, as the Bewitched episode even dealt with familiars.

[​IMG]

11. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Active Member

Oct 3rd

8. The Vampire Lovers (1970)
    Change in tone from hammer studios after exhausting the dracula films in the 60s. Bringing a more in your face sexual angle to the genre. The Influence is their to see on the eurohorror vampire films of the 70s.

9. Premature Burial (1962)
    First time viewing. After only discovering corman's poe adaptions last halloween and quickly falling in love with them it was weird not to see Vincent price in the lead although Ray Milland was very good in this I did think how good it would have been to see Vincent price's eccentricity in this. Although a good gothic horror I feel it comes bottom of the other corman - poe films I have seen. Only the raven and tomb of Ligeria which are on my list this month have still to be seen.

10. The Beast Within (1982)
    First time viewing. Will need to re watch this , although ok must have missed the part where there was an explanation of how the monster was able to transfer his soul through his semen. Did not make a lot of sense regarding that plot point but good performances from the cast made up for this.

12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I should be able to get a lot more October horror viewing in this year, since I'm not working. Unfortunately, I've become hooked on Law and Order reruns on Sundance and WE channel.

That said, I did finally get in a couple of movies last night, so let's get started.

1. In the Folds of the Flesh (1970). This was a strange one. Beheadings, incest, vultures, and Nazis. It's not as exciting as that description would make it seem to be, but it's definitely a unique film

2. Deranged (1974). Arrow Blu-Ray. Hadn't seen this one in years, not since getting the old MGM double feature with Motel Hell. It's a bit slow in the middle parts, but still a pretty good take on the Gein story. Not the most accurate, but I'm not sure I'd ever want to see a truly accurate telling of his story anyway.

13. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 4th
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8) Alien Abduction: Not nearly as bad as some have made it out to be, but it is not all that great either. As the popularity of the found footage subgenre has increased, the number of quality entries has decreased, and Alien Abduction falls closer to shit end of the spectrum. Structurally there really isn’t anything wrong with this movie, it’s biggest problem is how dull the entire second act of the film. And again, much like one too many found footage movies, it lacks authenticity. Also, I hated the fact that they didn’t keep the aliens more in the shadows. Sure, we never get a clear image of what they look like, but it still would have been more effective if they keep them in the background. It seemed the filmmakers were too intent on trying to make this film “scary” and the end product comes across forced. Stick with Jason Eisner’s segment from V/H/S/2 if you want a really effective alien found footage film. (5/10)

9) The Devil’s Pass: This manages to fail harder than Alien Abduction when it comes to authenticity. Everything just happens to be shot in frame, the locations all look like sound stages, and everything manages to be well lit. The twist towards the end freshens things up, which helps it stick out from other found footage films, and the pacing is crisp enough to keep you interested until the end. (5/10)

10) WER: Knowing this was a film from the director of “The Devil Inside” I went in with low expectations. Thankfully the end product is a step in the right direction for him. Much like “The Devil Inside” this one doesn’t play by the rules of found footage, to its own fault, but the story is what helps it rise above its short comings. Instead of a group of filmmakers attempting to track down a werewolf, or something else that we have seen before, this one follows a group of people lead by an attorney to clear a man from murder charges. The “mystery” aspect of the film kept me intrigued, but the final half hour is where the whole thing starts to fall apart. Terrible CGI, crappy action sequences, and a so-so ending is what holds this one back from being a great film. (6.5/10)

14. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

Only two so far for me-hope to get more in the groove this week!
    1. Trick or Treats (3/10)
    -This is undoubtedly a very bad movie, but ever since I was a kid and picked up the Vestron video for a rental with that classic cover it has held a strange allure for me. Glad to see it this year for the first time on a legit release from Code Red. Peter Jason is fun to watch as always, even though he's not remotely scary. There is a bit of Halloween atmosphere, but nothing too memorable. I can't say I would recommend this to anybody who is not already sucked in by nostalgia.
    2. Haunt (6/10)
    -I have been looking forward to watching this for a while now since I saw the great original poster (which for some reason they abandoned for a much more generic looking one) and the pictures in Fangoria of an awesome looking ghoul. Well, it did not meet my expectations. It is decently acted and is not bad, but there are several questions left unanswered and that ghoul turns out to be CGI and not nearly as fantastic as the still looked. A bit of a letdown.

15. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

October 4
    [​IMG]
    Poltergeist III (1988)

[​IMG]
    Deadly Eyes (1982)

16. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    That is one of THE BEST movies to watch on a Friday night (memories of "USA Up All Night" in the early 90's)

Oct. 1: The Blu Ray of 35th Anniversary of HALLOWEEN (last years release). LOVE that movie. It never gets old. Loved the Jamie Lee convention footage. She's so damn chill and easy-going. Loved it.:D
    Oct. 2: The Haunted Palace/Scream and Scream Again - DVD's I have only just opened and watched even though I bought them over 10 years ago!!!

17. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

October 04:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Ju-on: The Curse (2000): I've always considered this one to be my favourite of The Grudge series. Sure it hasn't completely held up, especially in a couple of the fx shots and how cheap they look, but it still managed to creep me the hell out a few times and the story is pretty compelling as well. Maybe not as flashy as some of the later entries but the simplicity actually works for this movie.

Ju-on: The Curse 2 (2000): The first 30 minutes are literally scenes from part one used as a sort of recap, so really this movie is only 45 minutes long. The rest of this is a direct sequel to the first and isn't really a stand alone film. Not as creepy a part 1 and the fx are still pretty bad but the connectivity between the various characters we follow and the ghost/curse is still pretty interesting. This is also the only one of the original 4 Japanese Ju-On movies that I've never seen before.

Ju-on: The Grudge (2002): I really liked this one on this watch. Even though it's hard to keep track of who's who at times and when things are happening...especially with the carry over stuff from the previous films, but in the end if you don't feel like thinking about that stuff this movie still just works as vignettes of scary sh*t happening to people. It is pretty fun though to watch these in order.

Ju-on: The Grudge 2 (2003): A little more straight forward of a story but still jumps around from character to character. Even after three other Ju-On movies today this one still managed to creep me out a bit. Also a cool ending.

[​IMG]

Theatre of Blood (1973): Man, Vincent Price looks like he was having a blast hamming it up in this movie and I enjoyed watching it just as much. Funny, funny movie and who doesn't want to see film critics being murdered?

18. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Oct. 4th. Creepshow. (1982). Had not seen this in years and just picked up the Blu-Ray today. It's aged incredibly well and is probably my favorite horror anthology film alongside the original Tales From The Crypt film. Really captures the Halloween mood superbly. I've always been underwhelmed by the final segment, but the rest more than make up for it. 9/10.

19. Anubis

Anubis New Member

October 4
    You're Next (2013)
    [​IMG]

20. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

October 1

The Legend of Boggy Creek (1972)
    The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976)

October 2

Curtains (1983)