The 70s vs the 80s

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by MrVess, Feb 16, 2009.

?

Which decade triumphs above the others?

1. The 70s!

33 vote(s)
    61.1%
  2. The 80s!

21 vote(s)
    38.9%
  1. MrVess

MrVess Guest

The two pretenders to the title of the golden decade of horror movies.

In one corner, the period of some of the most serious and ambitious gems of the genre. In the other - the glory years of the slasher, beloved cult titles and franchise spawners.

Which will win?

2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

The 70's all the way.

3. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    It is mostly going to depend on when you grew up. I was here for both whole decades, but my formative years were during the 80s. Most of the music and movies I love are from that decade.

4. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

The '70s triumphs over most of the crap that came out of the '80s, no contest. Sure a lot of the slashers that came out of the '80s are fun, but there's absolutely no doubt that the '70s (and even moreso the late '60s) produced films that were better stylistically, were far more abitious and truly defined the modern horror film. The '80s just took advantage of that and ran the genre into the ground with pointless sequels and franchises. There are some great '80s horror movies, but most pale in comparison to stuff made in the '70s.

~Matt

5. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

The 70's started everything off. There we have the original Texas, Halloween, Alien and Star Wars.

But the 80's took off with that vibe, and like already mentioned, was my formative years as well. For my favourite bands and film franchises, they started in the 70's, but totally blew up in the 80's. I was born in 75, so the 80's came just in time for me to be a really young, yet culturally aware kid, being not even 10 years old before I started a record collection and learned of Fulci's Zombie. If I had a time machine...

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  6. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i love the 80's, but its the guilty pleasure of decades. the 70's were about quality

7. horrorlover

horrorlover Member

70's for me, even though it was before my time, so many great films, The Exorcist, The Omen, Carrie, Halloween, etc.

8. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

70s horror films were mostly very serious and flat out scary. the 80s became ceap and cheesy, horror turning to comedy, with heavy metal.

70s all the way!

9. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Um, too tough. I'll flip a coin. They're the two best horror decades IMO.

10. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

If it wasn't for Cronenberg's best stuff coming out in the 80s, the 70s would have it hands down. However, Cronenberg carries a lot of weight for me, so I've got to say the 80s were better.

11. j tea

j tea New Member

i voted 70s, but only because the 90s werent an option. i love 'i know what you did last summer' and 'urban legends'...

:p

12. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

The 70's had some great shit but I had to vote 80's. It's my sweet spot, having grown up in that era. The early Friday flicks are what introduced me to the genre, along with the Prom Nights, Terror Trains, etc.

13. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Didnt Friday the 13th get released in 1980? Anyways I find this one tough- each time im about to vote I think of another fave movie from either the 70's or 80's. The 70's seem to really get the ball rolling and a lot of chances were being taken while the 80's carried the torch and probably has more movies I rewatch (not that the 70's dont have plenty too that I rewatch). Hmmmmmmm.......

14. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

You're right. Fixed. And all the more reason to vote for the 80's then.

15. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I vote for the 90s.

I kid.

70s had the quality, no doubt. I do love the 80s though.

16. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

1970's for certain. Not a big fan of the 80's, with the exception of some slasher films. The 70's were much more creative.

17. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

The 70's by far. The only reason the 80's even has a chance is because of 70's spillover into the early 80's. The second half of the 80's got a little too weird for me. The 90's helped squash that stupid crap (music and fashion mainly).

"I used to be with it. Then they changed what 'it' was, and what I was 'with' was no longer it, and what was it was weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you too!"

"No way, man! We're gonna keep rocking forever. Forever! Forever...?"

18. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Definitely. The '70s (and late '60s) featured probably the single greatest transition (both in terms of stylistics and especially content) American cinema ever saw. And it wasn't just horror, even though horror/exploitation was a HUGE runoff of that transition. The 1970s was a great decade for horror through-and-through. The genre started to grow increasingly stale as early as 1985 (early '80s stuff was great though), but by the end of the decade, the genre was crap.

~Matt

19. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

Really tough one... until just now I would have said the 70s - it's an unparalleled era for creativity, originality and savagery in horror.

But, more movies I really love were from the 80s - Re-animator, Return of the Living Dead, Nightmare on Elm Street, Evil Dead II, Day of the Dead.

(compared to Dawn of the Dead, Suspiria, the Exorcist, Last House on the Left, Alien)

I'd say the 70s laid the foundation, but the 80s added the finishing touches. Also, I'm partial to horror-comedies, which were more prevalent in the 80s)

20. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yes there were some gems, but the crap during the 80's clearly outweighted the good. Anyways Friday the 13th, The Evil Dead, The Shinning, etc were shot in the 70's. The 80's shouldn't get all the credit for those.

The 70's was the passing of the torch from classic horror to modern, so we got a good mix of both. There was still Hammer going for example. The 80's was comparatively stagnant in that regard, with mostly more of the same over and over again.