The 90's VS The 00's

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Ash28M, Feb 17, 2009.

?

Pick your decade.

1. 90's

30.9%
  2. 00's

69.1%
  1. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Just a companion poll to the one MrVess made. Some love the 90's while others think it was the low point for the genre's history. On the other hand some think we have turned the corner this decade while other claim the constant bombardment of bad remakes will be what defines this decade. Which to you prefer?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  2. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

This decade may have more misses, but they are culled from a much larger pool. I can probably name at least five horror movies from this decade that I really like, versus Ringu and Candyman, and Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III from the 90's... I went with this decade.

3. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

Would have to look over my DVD list again (don't list them by date, so...). From memory, though, if we've turned a corner in the new century, it would mainly be due to foreign, independent, and off the path low budget film contributions to the genre. Films like The Mist, The Descent, Haute Tension, The Barber, Bubba Ho-Tep, Dagon, Dead Birds, The Devil's Backbone, Feast (first film, not the crappy sequels), Frailty, The Ghouls, King of the Ants, The Woods. Mainstream horror releases IMO continue to wallow in the swine slop.

Damned if I can name more than a handful of 90's notables, although Sixth Sense (could be argued this is a new century release, being right on the cut off point), Se7en, Silence of the Lambs do stand out. Not only in terms of quality, but notably being good *major studio* releases.

4. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

The 90's sucked. MPAA and horror's great slasher decade started to suck before the 80's even ended. All good things come to an end.

The Abandoned, Haute Tension, L'Interior, The Descent, REC etc. That's the shit.

I even liked 1000 Corpses/Rejects and Hostel. Wrong Turn 1 and 2, 28 Days/Weeks Later.

But clearly Europe took over as the best. I guess we are falling behind in everything nowadays.

Oh yeah, Blair Witch had to put the final nail in the coffin of the craptastic 90's (Sorry Ash28M, had to say it).

5. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

Same here....there were a lot of crappy films this decade [and it's really hard to believe that this one is almost over] but also some films that I really enjoyed.

Too many 90s films were tired sequels, etc. Even though this seems to be the decade of the remake, there have still been plenty of quality original films, way more than the 1990s.

6. MacReady

MacReady New Member

From Wiki:

The 90´s horror films http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_horror_films:1990s

The 00´s horror films http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_horror_films:2000s

Favorites from the 90´s

Braindead
    Army of Darkness
    Leprechaun
    The Prophecy
    Bad Moon
    Scream
    I Know What You Did Last Summer
    Scream 2
    Urban Legend
    The Blair Witch Project(it worked then,sucks ass now)
    Lake Placid
    etc................

Favorites from the 00´s

Jeepers Creepers
    28 Days Later
    Ghost Ship
    Freddy vs. Jason
    Dawn of the Dead
    The Grudge
    Resident Evil: Apocalypse
    Saw
    Shaun of the Dead
    Hostel
    Black Christmas
    28 Weeks Later
    30 Days of Night
    The Mist
    etc.....................

Im going with the 90´s.

7. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

Fucking Neither!

8. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

The 90's didn't have many redeeming films but then you have this decade's hell with remakes. I'll go with the 00's.

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

While there was a handful of goodies from the 90's and we got some solid stuff from Full Moon, it was a pretty forgetable decade. Pretty much took that whole decade to recover from the 80's.

00's aren't exactly the greatest decade but we're better off than during the 90's I'll admit that. Not sure if people will bother to look back on the 00's in the future, but it's certainly got a better chance than the 90's.

10. MrVess

MrVess Guest

A ton of trash was made in the 90s, and that was the decade of probably the lowest budgets and worst production values in horror movies... but at least there were almost no remakes then.

11. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

That's awesome!

Seriously, you must have a lot of pent up anger considering the last 20 years. Hope something happens to turn horror around for you.

12. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

90s are not great...but right now pretty much blows.

13. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

The '90s was crap. The '00s for the win simply because of The Descent, The Strangers and Dawn of the Dead.

~Matt

14. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

This sums up the two decades perfectly. I'm not crazy about either decade as a whole, but I find more to enjoy presently than the slim pickings of last decade. My dvd collection has less from the 90's than probably any decade.

15. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

If I had to go by most of the titles MacReady listed as favorites, I'd be following Ethel's declaration. Fortunately there was more to both decades than franchise milking, formulaic slashers, or torture snuff - enough more to preclude writing either decade off completely.

16. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I guess for me main stream horror counts for such a small percentage of what I watch. I really barley count Hollywood big budget pg 13 horror in the equation at all. Add the fact that independent and foreign horror have churned out some really good films. This decade wins for me with no hesitation.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  17. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i think the 90's spent too much time and energy being proud of itself for being superior to the 80's. That whole pretentious self-awareness really rubs me the wrong way. Yeah, this decade has had its share of shit, and the 90's had its share of gold, but my preference goes to our current decade.

18. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

the 90's horror films were all pretty much ripoffs, though there we a handful of good films (Scream, Braindead, Army of Darkness) while the 00's has much more solid films. of course this decade has had some stinkers (Prom Night, The Fog) but a lot of great horror films have come out of the 00's (The Descent, [rec], Let the Right One In, Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later) so i give it to the 00's

19. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

2000s win for me.
    Ginger Snaps would do it for me but there's so many other good films besides. Bubba Ho-tep, Ju-on, Wild Zero, 28 Days Later, Dog Soldiers,The Descent.

20. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Wow.

Neither.

Call me an old man but damn, those are some crappy decades for horror, more or less.