The 90's VS The 00's

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Ash28M, Feb 17, 2009.

?

Pick your decade.

1. 90's

30.9%
  2. 00's

69.1%
  1. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Definitely.

~Matt

2. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

the trouble with music in the last 15 years is that there's just too fucking much of it. how can you have a band reach beatles-like infamy and staying power, when everybody and their hairdresser has a record deal? bands come and go in a matter of months, and if any group even releases a sophomore album, let alone a successful one, they're regarded by the entertainment media as returning heroes, here to show the "new guys" how to kick it old school!

...fucking kids today. they don`t know what real music is all about! i think i`ll go sit on my porch and wave my cane at them.

3. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

This is crazy, a friend and I was just talking about the same issue with music at a party last week. We both have not found anything recently that just knocks us flat on our ass. Music really has gone to shit. The many bands coming out now are less than stellar version of a band from 20 years ago.

Miss Machine era (2004) Dillinger Escape Plan being the exception for me, at least.

Originally Posted by Ash28M
    Except when any of you assholes disagree with me on The Blair Witch Project of course

Nice:)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  4. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

This statement is automatically false because there were no Girls Aloud in the 90s. Same goes for any other decade apart from our current one - they all pale in comparison. This is a fact.

As for the debate at hand, I don't think we can be objective enough to really decide. The films of the 00's are still too fresh in our minds for us to see them without all the surrounding hype/word-of-mouth/critical reaction, etc.

I've just recently begun to reevaluate some of my "favorites" from the 90s. I mean, I used to think Bride of Chucky and Event Horzion were masterpieces! Today? Not so much.

Same with some of the early films of the 00's. I would have gotten into huge debates over the artistry of The Cell back in the day, and likewise I would have defended the merits of American Psycho to no end. Today? I still think The Cell looks amazing, but I can't ever bring myself to watch the entire movie - I just skip forward to the pretty parts. And American Psycho? I just don't care for it at all anymore.

And while I like to think my critical eye has evolved since then, I just don't know what I'll think about films like All The Boys Love Mandy Lane or Haute Tension in a few years. I'm a fan today, but will they stand the test of time? I'm not so sure.

Then again, I also think it's ok to admit that some films are products of their era, children of their time, and that it is ok to love/like/hate them for that reason precisely. Which is why I still have fond memories of The Cell and Event Horizon, awful scripts and all.

5. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

The 90s sucked balls

6. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I can't really totally say that about any decade, but overall I somewhat agree and say it was the worst period for the genre since the 1940s. To me, the early 90s sucked for horror movies and was great for music, but the late 90s was great (well, better) for horror movies and sucked for music.

7. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

Yes but the 90's had the Spice Girls and they were better. (i do like GA though:)

The problem with music today is most of it is too plastic. Currently the music trend seems to be copying the 80's. Does anyone remember how souless 80's music was considered? Why try and recapture that? The huge popstars of the 90's were condsidered jokes because they didn't write all there own music but the huge pop stars now are not even musicians, they are Disney channel actors who get CD deals spun off their tv shows. Hell, the pop biggest phenom of the 00's is Hanna Montana and that isn't even her fucking name.

As for the movies the 90's was a drought for horror. We did get some gems (Candyman, Scream, Blair Witch) but most shit was straight to video Amityville Dollhouse calabur crap. Horror came back big in the 00's and we got some great ones (Ginger Snaps, The Descent, Let the Right One In, Trick R' Treat, Wrong Turn, The Ruins) but this remake trade is really killing the 00's credibility. Still movie for movie we've gotten much better, respectable titles this decade than the 90's.

8. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

Because the comparative lack of soul in 80's music is still more soul than much of what comes out today. Like Bubba Ho-Tep, sucking on small souls is pretty good if what you start with is completely soul-less.

Consider also the target audience. Late teens to mid 20s, people who were eating mud pies in the back yard while their parent's stereo blasted those same 80s pop tunes. This is their idea of nostalgia, getting remixes of childhood memories by modern media-machine pop bands. Much how they like getting modern retreads of 80s horror movies. Anything older, and it neither passes through the "only interested in new stuff, not boring old shit" filter nor the "I grew up with this" filter. Which is why most anything style related that can't be traced directly to the Stones or the Beatles doesn't get emulated from earlier periods in anything you're likely to see on the top 40 charts.

I used to wonder if it was at all possible for a generation of Americans to get any more self-centered, superficial, or narcissistic as the baby boomers, but gen-Y sure as hell is giving it their best. Unlike the boomers, though, they completely missed the boat on imagination, being on average the dullest age group I've ever dealt with. The media is just giving them what they want.

9. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

While I can't disagree with anything you are saying (except for that Spice Girls vs The Aloud thing :p), lets not forget that the plastic music you're talking about is mostly from mainstream American artists (or so I assume). Personally, I'm more than fine with the music being released in Europe - the UK and Scandinavia especially - and there'a s lot of below-the-radar US performers and bands that never get any airplay because Hannah Montana and the Jonas Bros. are busy devouring the charts.

But that's the way it's been for years, yes? The manufactured acts rule the charts while the underdogs get the rave reviews from Pitchfork and sell 23 copies of their albums.

10. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Agreed. I like a lot of music that's out there now, you just have to search for it. Then again, I like some of the catchy pop punk stuff as well like Fall Out Boy or panic at the Disco. Are they great bands? Hell no! But damn do they know hell to write some catchy fun party tunes. But yeah, most of the stuff you really have to search for these days.

As for older music, I grew up and loved most of the stuff from the 90s, and I like a lot of 60s and 70s stuff as well, but for some reason I just can't listen to any of it anymore. I have a feeling in 10 years I'll go back to it, but I am having so much fun with a lot of the music right now that a lot of that great past music just seems kind of depressing/ a downer now. Again, not saying music these days is better or more artistic, but it's a lot of fun!

11. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I haven't listened to mainstream music since I was 10 back in 84. It became tough starting in the mid 90s to find good music but I really like where we are now with youtube and myspace. Those two sites are goldmines and have revolutionized music. We no longer have to rely on MTV and radio to learn about new bands.

12. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

I think this is more of a chicken-or-the-egg argument, personally. I think the media has conditioned people into being apathetic, bland little consumers who download that "Shake It" song from iTunes, go see whatever movie happens to be big at the moment (and buy the DVD so they can have a COOL collection of about 30 DVDs which is identical to the collections of all their friends), wear whatever the TV tells them to (how else can you explain skinny jeans? I mean, they're pretty much scientifically designed to make even the most attractive women look like garbage), etc.

There was a brief glimpse of hope back in the early-to-mid 90s when you'd have Soundgarden songs played on the radio and all that, but that was swiftly co-opted and most people got older, blander and unwilling to check out anything new or edgy so they bought Matchbox 20 and Nickelback CDs instead.

The problem with things now is that we're getting beyond post-modernism with popular art forms. As previously mentioned, the trend with music seems to be capturing the 80s again (for kids who were born in the 90s, oddly enough), the trend with movies is remake after remake and books..... well, nobody reads anymore. I think my worldview is at least a little positive because I like to ignore the homogenized shit and do a little digging for stuff I really enjoy. As much as I disliked the Halloween, Friday the 13th and other horror remakes, I'll probably be watching The Descent, Inside and [REC] ten or twenty years from now because I found them to be good films. I think part of the problem is that people look at the past with rose-coloured glasses because youth is associated with fun times. Man, we all watched a LOT of shitty (even for the time) horror movies in the 80s and we still love 'em now because it transports us right back to that youthful feeling. That's not a bad thing.

Honestly, I think the solution is to just keep on keepin' on. The Internet gives you unbelievable access to everything you could ever want, so just find your own particular passions and work them out that way while avoiding the hell out of mainstream culture. Mainstream culture is NOT for people like us! We're people that talk about obscure horror movies coming out on DVD obsessively, that amount of passion immediately means we're not the demographic for mainstream media forms. I say avoid that shit like the plague, come over and smoke a bowl with me, order up a pizza and we'll talk about Invasion of the Blood Farmers or something.

13. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

You. Are. God.

Thank you for saying what I have felt for the past two decades. Ugh. The day that David Bowie and Lou Reed stop releasing albums is the day that I officially stop buying. Not that I "buy" them anyway.

14. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

I think it's just easier for a record company to push a band/artist based on one album and/or hit and then move on to the next. Kids today don't really want a band they can get into at 13 and follow through their career because they don't understand what integrity and value in music are, they've just been trained that way.

I mean, I've been a Deftones fan for almost 13 years now and I got to meet the band members, all of whom were incredibly nice. So, I make it a point to purchase an actual CD every time they put one out. Sadly, this puts me in the minority when it comes to music fans. Most kids are just into Hannah Montana one week, the Jonas Brothers the next and downloading popular songs like "I Kissed a Girl" until they get sick of it. Billy Corgan, when the Smashing Pumpkins originally broke up about ten years ago, said he was getting out of the whole thing because music was meaningless to kids at that time. I read an awesome quote from him in which he described music to kids as being more of an accessory like a pair of sneakers or something rather than a deep, identifying part of your life. I always thought that was a great way to put it.

15. SEANVALEN

SEANVALEN Active Member

SAW
    Saw and Lionsgate have made horror this decade, apart from remakes.
    This decade will be about the billion dollar horror fanchise, it's a fanchise, SAW FILMS, Saw ride, SAW GAME, this is a major establishment, the crowning glory of horror this decade, the saw ride is the first ride based on horror themes. I'm proud of their work. And it's not a remake!

Lord of the Rings trilogy
    Batman Begins and the Dark Knight
    Comic book films, X Men, Xmen 2

90s, I will miss Sly, Arnie and Bruce in perhaps the last decade where they were huge and going for it, especially at the start, towards the end they lost power.

90s was great for action,Connery in the Rock
    Brosnan back with Bond in Goldeneye

I'll miss the Harrison Ford powerhouse as well, when he had Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger and The Fugitive, Air Force One, he was quite the action man,

16. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

The Saw films are far from the best this decade had to offer.

17. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Totally agree. Feel free to like the series, but hardly the best.

18. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

I guess I enjoy the first Saw film for what it is and stopped watching after Saw 3 but far from the best thing the decade has to offer. Stuff like May, Ginger Snaps, Let The Right One In, Wrong Turn, The Devil's Rejects, The Ruins, The Descent, The Strangers, Ju-On, Trick R Treat all trump the Saw movies imo plus I blame Saw for starting that whole "dirty/rusty movie" trend that sucks along with every dvd re-release of a movie having the "white cover/limb-murder weapon" cover. But to each there own I guess.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  19. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I never liked any of the Saw films. I saw up to 3. I really tried, but it should not be so hard to like a film. I will give SickNick89 that their posters are remarkable from a design perspective. I guess a lot of other films did copy their poster designs. I really like the one from Hostel with that bent fork kind of thing.