The Amityville Horror sequels

Discussion in 'General' started by Spacetraveler, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Spacetraveler

Spacetraveler Member

Anyone here seen all the sequels? For some reasons, I like the sequels more than the original and the TV sequels more than the theatrical sequels. I know that none of the Amityville films are close to being good but there's something about them that makes watching these movies fun. Unfortunately, The Amityville Curse still hasn't come out on DVD and only the original is out on Blu-Ray. I hope they'll eventually release all the sequels on Blu-Ray as I would love to see them in high-def. Which Amityville movies are your favorite? My favorites are Amityville 4- The Evil Escapes, Amityville 1992- It's About Time, and The Amityville Dollhouse- Evil Never Dies. I like Amityville II- The Possession and Amityville 3-D- The Demon as well.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  2. Beastus

Beastus New Member

I would say the second one is my favorite (along with the original of course). On the later sequels, 1992 and Dollhouse are good.

3. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Amityville 1992: It's About Time for me followed by Amityville II: The Possession.
    I do own The Amityville Curse on Region 2 DVD. It's fullscreen and comes with English Audio.

4. snowbeast323

snowbeast323 New Member

Only one I haven't seen is Amityville 1992.....
    I thought the best were Amityville II and III, the rest were kinda bland and boring, Amityville Dollhouse was an interesting concept, but ultimately it looses steam half way through.

5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

My two favorite sequels are Amityville 1992: It's About Time and Amityville 3-D

I have the UK DVD of that. It would be my least favorite of the sequels though.

6. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I like part 2: The Possession the best, then 1, then 3. As for all those other random sequels I've only watched Dollhouse which I thought was just meh. I have all the others, and I'm glad to see a lot of love for 1992: It's About Time - might have to watch that soon.

7. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Curse would have to be the worst IMO. I really didn't like that one. I've seen all the sequels apart from The Next Generation. My favourite DTV sequel is probably It's About Time.

8. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i have parts 1 on blu-ray and dvd ,2,3 amityville confiedential,remake on dvd
    and 4,curse,1992,next generation ,dollhouse on vhs

9. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Why is it the worst? That's my favorite one.

10. Zombie Dude

For starters it has nothing to do with the Amityville house so the titles a bit misleading. Pretty sure it was boring too. Haven't seen it in ages though.

11. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Oh well yeah it not really an official sequel. I guess you could sequel in name only. I still enjoyed it allot I have it on video. I got it for $1 at a local video liquidating they're videos.

12. Zombie Dude

I don't remember it being very good. I was sitting there thinking 'ok, so when are they going to go to the Amityville house?'. Sadly the answer was never.

13. Katatonia

It has a few good actors in it, but the film itself is just plain boring. I'll keep the R2 DVD being the completist as I am, but Curse seemed almost like a film they decided to tack on the Amityville tag simply because they could.

14. Zombie Dude

I don't remember it that well. Do they even mention the old house?

15. Richard Anthony

Richard Anthony Member

My Favorite Amityville Horror Sequel is Amityville 1992: It's About Time!! I love the Wild Look and Feel of this Movie and it has some Great, Gory Moments!! Plus, I love Megan Ward and she is Super Sexy in this Movie!! She goes from Good Girl to The Teen Tramp and she is Red Hot!! Tony Randall does a Great Job with this Movie!! He Directed alot of Great Horror Movies in the 80'S and 90'S!!

16. Katatonia

I honestly can't even remember now, but I don't think so. It takes place in an older multi-story house, but that's pretty much where the similarity ends.

It definitely has the least to do with the Amityville mythos than any other sequel in the franchise.

17. Zombie Dude

Well other then being set in the town of Amityville I think that's the only similarity at all. It's rather misleading which is what put me off.

18. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

Now why in the hell are the rest of the sequels not on BR?

19. Zombie Dude

Most likely because they think they're not worth the money. I think that they should at least release Part 2 on blu.

20. rhett

rhett Administrator

I've been ripping through the sequels lately and here are a few thoughts:

II: Nasty, sleazy little movie that's better put together than the original and in almost all respects better in every way. I think the story of the prequel, the son who shot up the place originally, is a lot more interesting than a yuupie couple seeing flies and pigs in their windows as they do in the original. Uber depressing though, which kind of takes the fun out of it (the incest doesn't really help, either!).

3D: I like the stable of actors in this one, especially the before-they-were-famous Lori Loughlin and Meg Ryan, but the movie really does seem uber-tame with the PG rating. Some of the deaths and scares are moderately inventive and could have been pushed further with an R rating. The 3D effects ad some kitsch but the film isn't particularly well-shot and it's all a pretty muddy affair.

The Evil Escapes: The ridiculous lamp they use to transfer the curse is hokey as all hell, but this one is actually pretty enjoyable with a plucky cast and decently setup death sequences. It has a lot of fun absurdities too, like the whole scene of that homely teenage son pretty much shitting his pants as he accidentally chainsaws through the entire basement. How bad was his hair, too? Directed by the writer of the original, Sandor Stern (who wrote/directed the excellent PIN a year later) it has some quality in production and a decent amount of character development. I still want to know how the family rationalized the bird escaping from the cage, getting inside the toaster and cooking itself, though! No nudity or gore, but it isn't nearly as tame as 3D and the blood is quite copious in that garburator scene. Okay and this has to be said (SPOILER) how amazingly ludicrous is that ending where the film freeze frame's on an innocent looking cat and gives it drawn in orange eyes as a means to suggest it too has been possessed? Had to watch that a few times to get over the hilarity of it all. Pretty ridiculous movie, but somehow it all works out. I like this one quite a bit.

Curse: This one is Canadian so I was hoping to be able to give it a little love, but other than Saskatoon's own Kim Coates going Brando-esque in his aloofness there's not much positive to say here. I like to call this one the Amityville for my grandparents, with every actor pretty old or past expiry date it really seems like the movie completely forgot about the teens and twentysomethings that made up horror audiences of the time. Not even a teenager in sight, it's a movie about a bunch of old people hanging out in a house and having bad dreams or imagining things. The end attack with the nail gun was pretty cool, but I'm sad to say this one was homegrown.

1992: It's About Time: There are effects by KNB, boobs and a lot of visual style, so at the very least this one tries to return to the edge that characterized the second film, and it does a pretty good job. Funny that this one and The Evil Escapes are based on the same book, since other than the evil being transferred from the original house via some artifact (in this one it's a clock) they really are not alike in the least bit. This one has kind of a Waxwork vibe, especially at the end with the characters jumping in and out of time paradoxes. The story is inventive and ambitious, which really is a first for this series, and the wild camera and effects support the story quite well. I like the directions the film goes in once Megan Ward gets possessed and turns all slutty, but the whole story is built on a pretty shoddy foundation - it's not all because he bought a clock, but because the main dude got bit by a dog (but not really, since the dog appeared to be home all day) and is now going crazy. Get through the first act and it's quite the ride. Also cool to see the main actor from Ghoulies II as the son, was interesting to read on IMDb how he went on to produce the Night of the Demons remake and one of Asia Argento's directorial efforts. One other gripe I have with the film is its over-reliance on that black sludge that seems to ooze out of everything. They had KNB doing the effects and yet they pretty much default to this visual through most of the film. The Evil Escapes also used the black goo a lot too - must be from the book, I don't know. Fun movie though.

A New Generation: If you thought a possessed clock or lamp was bad, buying a haunted mirror from a homeless guy you took a picture of has to take the cake. Like Silent Night, Deadly Night 4: The Initiation, this is another of those early-90s urban horror movies aimed at exposing the dark underbelly of the big city. Yawwwwwwwn. Before going on to make Christopher Nolan's movies look completely ordinary, Wally Pfister was also the DP of this movie, and the movie is similarly bland looking. Might be the most overrated DP in the last while, for sure.

Still not quite done A New Generation but it's not looking up, and I've got Dollhouse to go before I make it on to that new found footage sequel that's on Netflix. Overall I've had a fun time going through all these old flicks, and if not quality there's at least a lot of variety in the sequels. I'll report back here when I've seen the others but would be interested in seeing all your takes on the sequels.