The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread - 2015 Edition!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2015.

1. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Quatermass 2 (Enemy from Space) (1957) (1957) 7/10 **

I watched the first Quatermass Xperiment (1955) a few months ago. Loved the premise and the final monster stuff, but found a good part of the film to be dull. The sequel is thrilling from beginning to end. Professor Quatermass explaining his plans for colonizing the moon only for the Earth to be invaded in a similar but more sinister fashion was clever. There is also a pervasive Body Snatchers element that kept the tension high through much of the runtime. I don’t have one negative thing to say about QUATERMASS 2. I really dig Brian Donlevy’s Quatermass character.

[​IMG]

Quatermass and the Pit (Five Million Years to Earth) (1967) 6/10 **

Andrew Keir does a capable job filling Brian Donlevy’s shoes as Professor Quatermass. The premise is a good one and the series transitioned to color nicely. It doesn’t have the constant tension of Q2 but the final act is thrilling. The flashback (miniature alien army) and drillmaster possession sequences are howlingly funny which does the film a bit of a disservice but it's still a fun film worth checking out. Studio Canal’s UK BD is a stunner and the interviews provide some interesting perspective on the series. I’m a big fan of film critic Kim Newman.

[​IMG]

X: The Unknown (1956) 5/10 **

This one starts off interesting enough with some entertaining performances but starts lose steam once the radioactive blob monster is revealed. The effects are really cheap and the finale wasn't dramatic enough. In a world where the Quatermass films exist, X isn't worth the time.

2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

How was it as a remake though? Did Spike Lee basically shoot it shot-for-shot, or did he take some liberties between it and Ganja & Hess?

3. Rft183

Rft183 Member

Well, last night the kids and I watched the first two available episodes of Dark Shadows on Hulu. Then, after they were in bed, I put in my DVD of The Prowler (aka Rosemary's Killer). I really enjoy that movie. I had to laugh at the scene where Pam is under the bed. Almost exactly the same as in Friday the 13th, Part 2! That, and I seriously thought for the longest time that the actress that played Pam was Amy Steel also...
    The DVD lighting is very washed out. I need to get the Blu-Ray, as it seems that the film has really been cleaned up a lot.

maskull likes this.
  4. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Oct. 8th
    [​IMG]

The Living and the Dead (2006) - DVD
    Donald Brocklebank (Roger Lloyd Pack) is dealing with bankruptcy and a terminal ill wife, and is forced to leave his giant estate to settle the mess. Nancy, his wife, is left in the hands of their mentally ill son James who wants to prove he can look after them, but who's descent further into madness prevents any outside help from intervening. Simon Rumley's The Living and the Dead features some great, and disturbing, performances alongside exceptional use of its labyrinthian location, but the film itself descends into madness with overly repetitive style and becomes quite tedious. It's fractured storytelling and over-use of 'fades to black' also took me out of the film, rather than into its torment. Rating: 2/5

[​IMG]
    Jack Be Nimble
    (1992) - VHS
    This New Zealand thriller is quite bat-shit throughout, concerning the tale of two siblings, Jack (Alexis Arquette) and Dora (Sarah Smuts-Kennedy), whom are put up for adoption quite young and each end up in different families. Jack's family abuses him frequently, even whipping him with barbed wire, and he grows up to be an angry young man who then invents some kind of hypnosis-inducing machine in metalworks class, and uses it to off his abusive parents. He then hits the road with the machine in tow. Dora, always longing for her brother, sustains a head injury and develops psychic abilities and senses her brother is looking for her. The two eventually connect and go on a wild ride to find their real parents, all while being stalked by Jack's four similar looking sinister stepsisters. Jack Be Nimble is consistently ridiculous, in both its premise and execution, but fails to deliver any real entertainment other than to have the audience scratch their heads in disbelief. Rating: 1.5/5

Hatchetwarrior, maskull and crikan like this.
  5. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

When you consider the flashback is supposed to be fragments of Martian memories dragged from the subconscious relics of prehistoric proto-human ancestry, the jerky motion and stilted imagery of the effects produce a surreal nightmare impression one would expect. When I first viewed the film I had the same impression you did, that it was just pushing bad effects too far. While the low budget nature and flaws of the effects are still inarguable to this day, I've since realized that given how smartly written the Quatermass films are, that a good deal of the hallucinatory, slide show like image effect of that sequence was probably intentional. It would have made almost no sense at all if the images were crystal clear and photo realistic given their source, even though that is exactly what most film makers would try to present and audiences would expect.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  6. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

It's not shot for shot, but very closely follows the structure of the original. I really liked though it may not be for everyone.

7. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

Outside of their contribution to "ABC's of Death" this is the only feature I've seen by them. I haven't heard a single positive thing about "Amer" so I don't see myself checking that one out.

8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I saw Amer, and there's a handful of their short films as extras on that disc. More of the same. Then I saw the above-mentioned short on ABCs, and immediately recognized their plotless style. Didn't even need to see the credits to know who was responsible for it.

I would absolutely love if a competent writer and director hired them to DP a movie, but I have the feeling with their pretensious nature that they wouldn't consent to something like that. They really need to understand they have great images to show, but not interesting stories to tell.

9. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 9th
    [​IMG][​IMG]

19) Cannibal: A Love Story: A great serial killer drama in vein of the tv show “Dexter.” Beautifully shot, some really great set pieces, and solid performances from the supporting cast. The one thing that really struck me was the unintentional, or intentional, parallel the plot had with the film “Psycho.”
    The young women he kills early on had run off with stolen money, is murdered by an eccentric loner with a domineering mother, and is later sought after by her sister.
    Other than that I don’t have much to complain about. It’s way more of a drama than a horror film, but worth checking out. (7/10)

20) The Stranger: An interesting take on vampire lore, but still a thin, meandering film overall. Some really great gore effects is the one thing I can say is a big plus here, and the directing style is visually pleasing, other than that I can’t recommend too much here. The dubbing is exceptionally awful and a lot of the subplots virtually go nowhere. (5/10)

crikan and maskull like this.
  10. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 9TH:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Gore Lunatic, Rocker10 and maskull like this.
  11. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

[​IMG]

Movie #27: Cub (2014)

The only real difference between this movie and a multitude of out-in-the-woods slasher films is that this one involves children instead of teenagers. It also has a great main theme bit of music. Not that it's a bad movie though. Even though it's not particularly bloody, it still manages a few good gut punches and the mask that "Kai" wears is pretty rad. I seriously hated that Baloo guy though. Seriously.

Best thing about this movie is that in one of the deleted scenes, a character has a Suspiria ringtone.

crikan and Rocker10 like this.
  12. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

October 9
    [​IMG]
    They Live (1988)

[​IMG]
    Society (1989)

A "they're among us" double feature. They Live is always fun but I hadn't seen Society in ages. Shuntings all around.

Rocker10 and maskull like this.
  13. maskull

[​IMG]

Movie #29: It Follows (2014)

I'm really loving the scores for horror movies these days! All that wonderful synth-y goodness to mesmerize, add atmosphere, and even to creep you out.

The movie itself is actually pretty refreshing as well. Kind of slow but never boring, creepy, some humour, with an idea that maybe wasn't perfectly executed but was done well enough that I was able to instantly forgive the few shortcomings that I noticed.

crikan, Kim Bruun and Rocker10 like this.
  14. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 9

1. Texas Chainsaw (2013) - A definite sequel of sorts the 1974 classic. Entertaining for the most part, but the ending was a bit goofy in ways.

2. Cabin in the Woods (2012) - Man, I was so ready to hate on this movie until the last 20 minutes or so kicked in. You have to watch this from a completely different perspective. I got it after the last bit of the movie finished. Very interesting concept.

3. Isle of the Dead (1945) - Ended today with a classic. Saw somebody mention this one earlier in the thread and hadn't seen it yet. Good movie. Big Karloff fan. Will be watching more of his stuff in this years marathon.

maskull likes this.
  15. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Oct. 9th:

Saw V (2008)-Among my least favorite of the series but I liked it enough for the most part.
    Joy Ride (2001)-Pretty solid thriller.
    The Final Girls (2015)-Despite the fact its PG-13 this was a pretty funny and cool little flick.

maskull likes this.
  16. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Oct 9
    Final Destination 2 (2003)
    Not as good as the first one but not a big drop off either. Still well acted and well written for the most part.
    3.5 out of 5

maskull likes this.
  17. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

3. They Live (1988)

Would you believe I've never seen this film all the way through before? Just bits and pieces, mostly where Roddy first discovers the aliens, the famous "chew bubblegum and kick ass" line, and of course the extended fight sequence. I even had a chance to see it last month at a midnight screening (digital, not 35mm), but it was the same night The Dickies were in town. Anyway, it came on HDNet this past week, so I DVR'd it. Enjoyed it quite a bit, I thought some of the gun battles in the alley reminded me of Assault on Precinct 13 a bit. Almost like Carpenter wanted to redo those scenes with a decent budget. Peters out a little at the end, but a fun little ride. Not quite the "why haven't I watched this movie before??" vibe, but I'm still glad I can check it off my "to see" list

crikan and maskull like this.
  18. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

Lost After Dark BR
    House Of The Devil BR

Retro styled Horror double feature. First up, Lost After Dark. Paying homage to the 80's slasher genre, this film somewhat succeeds in creating the look and feel of that era. The story is pretty straight forward it's about a group of teens who skip out of their school dance and steal a bus for some adolescent shenanigans. The bus ends up breaking down in the middle of nowhere and the kids are forced to seek shelter in an old abandoned farm house where they soon discover that there's a maniac killer living there. I found the killer to be rather boring looking and not very scary. He just looked like a big hobo. On the plus side, the kills were quite good and gory. The film does have flaws but I overall enjoyed it. Finishing the double feature is Ti West's The House Of The Devil. A college student needs some fast cash for an apartment she wants to rent and ends up taking a babysitting job at an old Victorian style mansion in the woods. When she arrives at the house she meets the two older couple who lives there and then finds out that it's not exactly a babysitting job. A very atmospheric film that's heavy on the suspense and creepiness. I think it did a fine job of trying to create the look and feel of the late 70's early 80's Satanic Horror films like Rosemary's Baby. Starts out slow but keeps your interest until it's bloody finale.

Deliver Us From Evil BR
    Exeter (aka The Asylum) BR

I think I need to watch Deliver Us From Evil again because I just wasn't feeling this film. Eric Bana plays a cop who investigates a bunch of bizarre ritualistic type murders and teams up with a priest to try and solve them. The film is a crime horror type hybrid that apparently is based on a true story. The film is also nicely shot and the acting is well done. Running at almost two hours long, surprisingly the film keeps the action flowing. All of that sounds positive so I don't know why I couldn't get into the movie. Maybe the film was too polished. Maybe I found some of the characters to be too hip. Maybe it's because Olivia Munn is in it. I don't know what it is but I do know I need to at least give this film another watch. Exeter begins with a woman shooting up heroin then she blows her brains out with a gun. That's about the only cool thing that happens in this film. The rest of the film takes place at an abandoned asylum where a group of teens decide to throw a party. After the party, the kids who are left decide to invoke a spirit by doing a séance. Sure enough they invoke an evil spirit that locks them in the asylum and it begins to kill them one by one. Nothing really interesting happens in this one just your typical demon possession type Horror that offers nothing new.

The Gallows Digital
    As Above, So Below BR
    The Dyatlov Pass Incident (aka Devil's Pass) BR

A found footage triple header today. The Gallows is about a student that was accidently killed in a high school play gone wrong. Skip 20 years later and that same play is being resurrected to honor the anniversary. However, the ghost of the student seeks revenge for his death. Nothing in this film really sets it apart from other found footage ghost films. Same jump scares, same teens, same ghost. It has a bit of a twist ending but it's nothing special. I wanted to watch As Above, So Below when it came out in theaters but never got around to it. Then it came out on Bluray and decided to wait for a price drop. I finally picked it up for under ten bucks and I kinda wish I saw it in the theaters. The film is about an explorer who puts together a team to try and find "the philosopher's stone" in the catacombs beneath the streets of Paris. They soon discover that there are dark forces that inhabit the catacombs and try to escape its curse. An intense and claustrophobic ride that is quite entertaining. Maybe it's just me, but I found the film to play out like a video game. Specifically Tomb Raider. The lead actress even looks and sounds like Lara Croft. She's also very intelligent and knows martial arts. She would solve puzzles, pull levers and jump down pits to advance to the next area in the catacombs. Heck, she even backtracks to an area she already passed to retrieve an item. However I did like the film for what it was and recommend it. The Dyatlov Pass Incident is an excellent found footage film that adds a few new things to the genre. The story is about a group of college students who try to document and uncover what really happened to nine Russian hikers who disappeared in 1959 in a remote mountain area. It became known as the Dyatlov Pass Incident, which is a true story. It reminds me a lot of The Blair Witch Project but with more of a sci-fi feel to it. I also like the mystery surrounding the whole incident with the Russian hikers, very creepy and weird. The title of the film in the U.S. is called Devil's Pass and I think it's on Netflix. If not, you can pick up the DVD only release for dirt cheap or pick up the region B Bluray under the original title if your nasty.

KGBRadioMoskow and maskull like this.
  19. maskull

[​IMG]

Movie #29: Housebound (2014)

A well done mix of spooky and funny with some great performances. There was even a scene where I was laughing and a little creeped out at the same time....I've never experienced that before! About half way through the movie there's a weird shift in the story and it kind of jarred me and took me out of the movie for a bit, but it actually ended up making sense, and I enjoyed the way it went a little nutso!

crikan likes this.
  20. maskull

I'm not sure that I liked this one as much as you did. I thought the build up was pretty good but
    they get into the cave/bunker I thought the creatures were very generic found footage creatures.
    I did like the idea for the ending though.