The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread - 2015 Edition!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2015.

1. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

[​IMG] p151726_p_v7_aa.jpg affiche.jpg

Movie #64, 65 & 66:

Bigfoot (1970): If you enjoy busty blondes running around the forest, screaming, in a very cleavage-y shirt, being chased by a guy in a Bigfoot costume while John Carridine, a babe in a bikini and a couple of other guys are tied to trees, waiting to be rescued by a group of motorcyclists and a one-armed man, then this may just be the movie for you! Plus, there's a baby bigfoot and Bigfoot vs a bear...almost vs a cougar as well but some jerk shot the cougar. Booooo!

Night of the Bloody Apes (1969): Blood, boobs, wrestling and the least agile, slowest moving gorilla man that you've ever seen all brought to you with a bad English dub. Some great freakin' low budget, gory kills and plenty of sleaze tossed in to keep things interesting. I'm not really sure why they needed the wrestling in the movie, except for one very minor plot point but I just don't care because it added some nice flavour to the proceedings....plus it gave the excuse for a few shower scenes after the bouts.

Breeders (1997): A bit of nudity and a pretty cool alien monster (though a rip off of Pumpkinhead meets a Xenomorph) are about the only positives for me. Otherwise it's pretty boring, bloodless, cliched, and poorly acted. With unlikable characters. Why was the girl traveling with the alien dressed like Lee Aaron from the 80's?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  2. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Oct 23 -
    Evil Dead (1981)
    It is a classic - yea some of the special effects seem a little dated and goofy today but that just adds to the charm. Cannot wait for the series to start on Starz this Halloween.
    5/5

Anthropophagus, maskull and Rocker10 like this.
  3. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Favorite trilogy of them all for me.

4. Rocker10

Day 23

1. City of the Living Dead (1980) - It was time for the Gates of Hell trilogy. Obviously started with this. Second time seeing it.

2. The Beyond (1981) - This set from Grindhouse Releasing is really well done, right down to the glow in the dark cover. Good picture quality.

3. The House by the Cemetary (1981) - Wrapping things up. Good show but the kids voice always kind of bugged me. Just didn't fit and seemed out of place. Oh well. Fun seeing these 3 again.

4. Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985) - Kind of the oddball of the series. Pretty entertaining nonetheless as most of these in the series are.

5. Friday the 13th: Jason Lives (1986) - Always liked this one due to the music tie in with Alice Cooper.

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

7. Night of the Demons (1988)

Gee, only seven movies this month so far? Shit, I probably watch more horror movies in general even when it's not October. I'm slacking. Gotta pick up the pace. Anyway, here's another to cross off my I-can't-believe-I've-never-seen-this-before list. And for about the first 30 minutes, I believed it should have remained on the list. I didn't like the camp, the humor, the unrealistic characters. But as it goes on, it gets better. Comparisons to the Italian Demons films are spot on (and I saw this was argued about a few years ago on this site). Even if it wasn't meant as a ripoff of Bava's pair of movies, it definitely covers similar ground. I also thought there were a few similarities to Hell Night, with the mythos of the house, the costumed characters (yes, I know this takes place on Halloween, so costumes are to be expected), and the finale. Of course, the over-the-top nature makes it far inferior to the much more subdued Hell Night. Still, the last 30 minutes have some good set pieces, and it's not a total waste of time. A good movie, that could have been a lot better.

crikan, Rocker10, Kim Bruun and 2 others like this.
  6. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 24th
    [​IMG][​IMG]

59) An American Werewolf in London

60) Return of the Living Dead

7. othervoice1

Oct 24 -
    Evil Dead 2 (1987)
    This movie makes me laugh out loud every time - and man does it look outstanding on the 25th anniversary blue ray! Can't wait to check out the new Army of Darkness blu-ray next - probably go with the international cut.
    5/5

Rocker10 likes this.
  8. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 24TH:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Rocker10 and othervoice1 like this.
  9. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

October 24
    [​IMG]
    Phantom of the Opera (1989)

[​IMG]
    The X-Files: Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose (1995)

10. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

October 24th

ATKINSFEST: Tom Atkins Marathon!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

"They saved the best for last."

Uhhh? :(:(:(

12. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

October 20th-

FleshEater (1988) A cheesy treat.

October 21st-

One for the Fire: The Legacy of 'Night of the Living Dead' (2008)
    Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy (2010)- Epic. This was a fantastic documentary.
    Going to Pieces: The Rise and Fall of the Slasher Film (2006) Nice overview of the slasher genre. I watch it every year.

October 22nd-

From Beyond (1986) Hadn't seen this in a long time. Forgot just how perverted it got. Loved it.
    Re-Animator (1985) Classic. Cat dead. Details later.

October 23rd-

Bride of Re-Animator (1989) It was sometime in the '90's I last watched this sucker. A lot of fun still.
    Beyond Re-Animator (2003) Really enjoyed it. Better then I was expecting.

Rocker10, maskull and othervoice1 like this.
  13. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

It's talking about New Nightmare. ;)

14. othervoice1

Oct 24 -
    Return of the Living Dead 3
    I still love this movie - I remember when I first saw it in the mid 90's being surprised by a) how different it was from the other two in the series and b) just how great it was. I can only watch the uncut version - the R version just takes too much out. I remember having a big crush on Melinda Clarke after seeing this. Yea it is gory as hell but there is a seriousness and emotional element to it that makes it stand out. It really should have just been it's own stand alone movie not really associated with the other two humor filled movies in the series - but it was quite the pleasant surprise regardless.
    4/5

crikan and maskull like this.
  15. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Movie #67, 68, 69, 70, & 71:

Bunshinsaba: Ouija Board (2004): There are a few too many characters, too much jumping around between them, characters that are there and then disappear for twenty minutes of runtime, and a tendency to take something that's creepy and overdo it until it loses it's effectiveness. Still though, not terrible. Most of the movie I was lost in the tale of revenge from beyond the grave and even feeling bad for some of the characters, it's just that all the story elements crammed into this movie eventually bogged me down and lost my interest....and then it turns into a slasher in the last couple of minutes. So the ending was pretty cool.

Shutter (2004): This was one of my favourites back in the day but I haven't seen it in quite a while. I was worried it wouldn't hold up. It did.

Ab-normal Beauty (2004): A photographer in search of the perfect shot, one day witnesses a gruesome car accident and realizes that she likes taking photos of dead things. Part descent into madness, part serial killer thriller, this movie starts off really well, looks great, has some beautiful/haunting music and good performances. Unfortunately I'm just not crazy about where it went in the second half of the film. It seems so...generic.

ISOLA (2000): I'm not sure why they needed 13 personalities when you really only meet 3 of them and only two really matter. Anyway, it's an interesting concept that seems like it's wasted in order to turn in yet another ghost-like thing back for revenge. Throw in some badly done (and completely unnecessary) cgi and things start to fall apart pretty quickly. It still managed to keep my attention though.

The Ghost (2004): Once again a not very original plot for this one. Ghost out for revenge, a bit of tragedy, and a mystery as to why ghosty's pissed off...but this one is really well done with a couple of very likable leads and the mystery is actually interesting, if a little bit obvious. There's also quite a surprise at the end which I really doubt anyone could have predicted. Which might be the big problem with this movie because I don't feel like it's earned or even really makes any sense. But that's just me. Either way I still really liked this one.

16. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Oct. 24th:

Child's Play (1988)-The original and still my favorite.
    Night of the Demons (1988)-Ditto.
    Night of the Demons 2 (1994)-Fun sequel.

othervoice1 likes this.
  17. Rocker10

Day 24

1. Ghoulies III - Ghoulies go to College (1990) - At times this movie had me thinking Revenge of the Nerds. Very sill movie..and Ghoulies talk. Fun in it's on way.

2. Waxwork (1988) - Still was unsure if I had ever seen this, and if I had it was back in the day. Decent enough movie.

3. C.H.U.D. (1984) - Had been a long time since seeing this one as well. More serious tones then the sequel.

4. C.H.U.D. II - Bud the Chud (1989) - This movie reminded me why I always liked Vestron back in the day. Not very serious with a lot of goofy shit. Made for a fun viewing and glad I did re-visit.

18. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Oct.24.

Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil (2010): Truly original and charming parody of backwoods horror that is genuinely funny, gory and at times sentimental. One of my favorite genre efforts of the past decade, I never tire of this one and everyone I've watched it with loves it too. That rarest of things-a horror comedy that works from start to finish. 9/10.

Friday The 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986): One of the most professional looking and enjoyable Friday The 13th films to watch in my opinion. It contrasts sharply from the sleazier, exploitative feel of 'New Beginning' and makes a sharp turn into the domain of teen oriented horror, more humor and sadly much of the gore was trimmed.
    From the beginning of the film there are a couple of sly references to Frankenstein (1931) and the whole film never takes itself too seriously. It features a good, and good looking cast as well as a killer eighties hard rock score from the legendary Alice Cooper. This is the final entry in what fans have deemed the 'Tommy Jarvis' trilogy and it ends on a high note. One thing occurred to me last night while watching this, you can pretty much omit Part V from the series and the continuity from Part IV to Part VI is very minimally affected. However, Part V is an underdog that I love as well so I'll be sure to watch that one soon too. 8.5/10.

19. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Mary Mary Bloody Mary (Code Red Blu)

Frustrating film, because it could have been better, about a beautiful artist who happens to be a vampire. I liked the director's film Alucarda but this never quite gets there. There's kind of a 'Martin'-esque vibe to it but it never reaches those creepy highs of Martin. A couple of choices in casting were questionable (don't want to spoil anything). Felt very much unsatisfied at the end. Great interview with the producer on the Code Red disc.

crikan and maskull like this.
  20. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Last night 'hatchet', seen it many times, nice to see it with friends who had never seen it before and enjoy there reaction to the slaughter.

This afternoon 'dead snow 2', silly but fun and bloody sequel.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
    Rocker10 and maskull like this.