The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread - 2015 Edition!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Weekend of Terror

Killer Mermaid
    (2014)

[​IMG]
    Where the accents are deadlier than the killer mermaid. While nowhere near as good, it feels like a sister-film to Dagon, shaky CGI included.

The Babadook
    (2014)

[​IMG]

Rewatch. Noticed a lot more wailing this time around, and toward the end it gets repetitive. I liked it, though, and my inebriated, late-night walk home was spooky.

Kung Fury (2015)

[​IMG]

But before I walked home, we took a chance on this 30-min, SFF action/comedy. Lots of good laughs.

2. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

[​IMG]

Movie #72: The Blair Witch Project (1999)
    I've seen this one so many times and it still pretty much works. I just wish I could completely blank my memory of this film so I could watch it again for the first time.

3. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

October 22nd: Bloodsucking Pharaohs in Pittsburg

Now, I can appreciate the love Michelle Bauer gets, but apart from the scene where she dresses her room in plastic sheets because she "gets a little wild", I found Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers unfunny and amateurish (Bauer has a bigger role in The Tomb, btw.). Bloodsucking Pharaohs, on the other hand, I enjoyed. The humour is crass, which I am not averse to, and I found the scenes of poor Mrs Birdwell undergoing therapy to quit smoking absolutely hilarious:

Rocker10 and maskull like this.
  4. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Oct. 25.
    Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers-Wow, it had been awhile since I watched this one and I had completely forgotten what a mess it is. The coolest part for me is the first ten minutes with Michael's stylishly executed drift down river to the cabin of the good samaritan who spends a year nursing the injured mass murderer back to health. It's a scene that for me plays out like a tribute to Frankenstein's good shepherd who gives the shunned creation refuge only to see his offer of friendship go up in flames.
    Elsewhere this film is marred by a pretty poor cast, unlikeable and annoying characters and a convoluted plot point about a mysterious man in black. The nadir of this entry in the franchise is the two bumbling cops who are accompanied by a silly musical theme as if to reinforce and impress their stupidity upon the audience. Donald Pleasance is over the top and hysterical to the point of absurdity seemingly tormenting and borderline terrorizing his young patient, Jamie Lloyd, instead of helping her. The psychic link angle between Michael and Jamie is pushed a little too far and seems forced. Lazy and unsatisfying climax as well.
    The film has some good ideas, but it's obvious that they were running out of steam creatively at this point and the whole thing seems terribly rushed to capitalize on the success of the previous entry. Just my opinion no offense to anyone who loves this film. 4/10.

5. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 25th
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

61) Crimson Peak: So far this is the best main stream horror film of this year, which isn’t saying much since I was a bit let down by it. Certain things that make a Del Toro film work are here: fantastic visuals, gorgeous set pieces, and a great cast of actors. But this one suffers severely in the storytelling department. The film is quite the slow burn, and it’s not that the story is incompetently told, but the plot just never reaches a crescendo (it just kind of ends on a dime). Top that off with some mediocre jump scares and so-so CGI ghosts and you’re left with an ok supernatural-gothic thriller. (6/10)

62) The Innocents

63) Legend of Hell House

6. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 25TH:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Tonight, 'the gift', interesting movie, though a little long, 20 mins could have been shaved for a tighter movie. &

'Old 37' should have known a movie directed by Alan smithee should not be touched, stay away, stay away, nothing of any note here, believe me!

8. maskull

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Movies # 73, 74 & 75:

Autopsy (1975): Visions of corpses screwing with big grins on their faces. Sunspots causing suicides. A creepy morgue attendant who doesn't seem to mind if his women aren't quite alive. Best museum ever! An erotic slideshow. 2 dummy falls. "Quick! Get him to the reanimation unit!". Bad italo/english dubbing. Quick tempered, violent, maniac driving priest. A car crashes and explodes. Boobs, penises, corpses. Corpse boobs, and penises. Great gore. What's going on? No one in the movie knows....and neither do I.

Nightmare (1981): A movie full of sleaze and gore that still manages to build some tension despite some truly awful acting and a really annoying kid. The star of the show is the great gore effects, though the trip to the live nude girls show ain't bad either. Pretty good job by the fellow playing the killer. He screams in madness quite nicely and does a great job at playing unbalanced. Also wears a cool mask.

Ghostkeeper (1981): Not much happens in this movie but it sure does have a ton of wonderful and creepy atmosphere. Plus, lots and lots of snow! I felt cold while watching this one, even while the characters are inside because you can always see their breath and hear the wind. Unfortunately the pay off isn't quite there, but the build up was easily enough to make me really enjoy this movie.

9. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

October 25th

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  10. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Oct. 25:

Night of the Demons 3 (1997)-Weakest of the trilogy but has some fun moments.
    Night of the Demons (2009)-Fun remake with a decent cast, lots of gore and some boobage and a solid soundtrack. Diora Baird and Bobbi Sue Luther=DAMN.
    House (1986)-I've always loved this one.
    The Hazing (2004)-Entertaining as hell indie horror/comedy. Reminded me of Night of the Demons at times. Tiffany Shepis is a goddess.
    Slugs (1988)-One of my favorite 80's creature features. Loads of gore and cheese from the director of Pieces!

11. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 25

1. Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight (1995) - The movie that got me into Filter. Good soundtrack and decent movie. Visual quality seemed a bit grainy to start but looked like it got better on the recent SF release.

2. Night of the Living Dead (1968) - Had to wait for that Japanese Blu to arrive. This Blu looks great! This disc is a keeper. Lots of Japanese writing that I can't read, but happy to finally have it on Blu. There was the Duane Jones interview, a trailer, and a feature called 'One for the Fire: The Legacy of Night of the Living Dead. I had not seen this before. Almost as long as the movie itself.

3. Dawn of the Dead (1978) - My personal favorite of the trilogy. Liked the features on the Blu I have. This is one of my most favorite horror movies.

4. Day of the Dead (1985) - Wrapping up the trilogy. Good movie. Anything that came after this from Romero was a bit subpar in my opinion. Did spend some time in the features on this Blu. Good interesting stuff.

5. The Vagrant (1992) - Had never seen this movie until a few years ago. Part of the SF all night horror marathon set. I love this movie. Good mix of humor and bizarre tone. I always look forward to going back to it and now it's been a yearly thing.

maskull, Kim Bruun and othervoice1 like this.
  12. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Gremlins (1984)

Probably haven't seen this in 25+ years. Decent fun if you check all logic at the door.

othervoice1 likes this.
  13. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

8. Who Saw Her Die? (1972)

I've been in the mood for a Giallo, and not one of the ones I've seen millions of times before. I dug this out of my collection, and I really recalled nothing about it. So it was pretty much like going in fresh (it's also extremely possible that I was drinking on previous viewings). This one is really good for about an hour and 15 minutes, but totally loses steam at the end. And it doesn't have that ongoing motif that many classic Gialli films do, the ones where the killer's motivation is the very theme of the film. The reveal in this one comes out of left field, and doesn't really make a lot of sense. Plus, is it just me, or is it anytime you see a
    priest
    in a Giallo film, they're always the killer?

Some good scenery, of dilapidated Venetian ruins. Wish it had a more coherent storyline to go along with it though.

othervoice1 likes this.
  14. maskull

beast-klled-women.jpg btkw_5_2.png
    Movie #76: The Beast That Killed Women (1965)

An excuse to have a lot of naked ladies walk in front of the camera, talk in front of the camera, climb into bunk beds in front of the camera, reach for towels on top of tall walls in front of cameras, and dance in front of cameras....and occasionally a dude in a gorilla suit shows up and kills a lady. Z-Grade trash that while incredibly bad is still strangely entertaining. Helps that the run time is only 60 minutes.

Workshed, Anthropophagus and crikan like this.
  15. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

She's dubbed which ruined it for me. THE TOMB could have been a enjoyable flick.

lol. I'll have to check that out.

16. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The Godsend (1980) 3/10 **

It's a cool premise, but I found the whole thing to be predictable. There's nothing "bad" about the film. It's just dull waiting for the obvious to happen. There is no sleaze, twists or entertaining kills. Everything moves along just how you'd expect. I felt terrible for the family but even worse for myself having to sit through it for 90+ minutes. Shout's blu-ray looks good.

[​IMG]

The Entity (1982) 7/10 **

It starts off quick with Barbara Hershey getting raped by a ghost and never lets up. This film is long and relentless. Hershey is terrific. The music played during the hauntings is obnoxious but I started getting used to it as the film went on. The finale is a bit lacking but the film was well worth seeing. It was mentioned earlier in this thread and I’d like to echo that damn, that is some terrible artwork for the Blu-ray. They weren’t even trying with that one. The PQ is more than serviceable.

17. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  18. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 26th
    [​IMG][​IMG]

64) Scream

65) Blair Witch Project

othervoice1 likes this.
  19. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Oct. 23rd
    [​IMG]

Skullduggery (1983) - VHS
    This American-Canadian co-production tells of Adam, a man born from a bloodline affected by a medieval curse, and during a Dungeons & Dragons-esque game with friends, takes on the role of the Warlock and begins to hear and see things that aren't there. Adam also works at a costume shop, and is helping supply costumes to a local talent show, where Simco the Magician astounds everyone with his shitty magic tricks and further confuses Adam. Adam soon can't distinguish between fantasy and reality, and begins killing various people and donning various costumes. Meanwhile, throughout all this, a janitor (played by the director) with a game of X's & O's attached to his jumpsuit, randomly appears on screen with a new piece to the game attached to his back. Skullyduggery is a movie filled to the brim with random symbolism but no coherent meaning, laughable acting and direction, and features a plot that resembles Swiss cheese. I still don't know exactly what I watched, but I kinda enjoyed it...? Rating: 2/5

Oct. 24th
    [​IMG]

Evil in the Woods (1986) - DVD
    Another Fractured Fable from Fantasy Factory! At least that's how the story begins when a young kid digs into his new book, "Evil in the Woods", that he just took home from the local library. Then our narrator, in his Southern drawl, takes us to Mildew, Georgia in the 1950's where we see a flashback before getting to the present day where a low-budget film crew is shooting a movie called "Bigfoot vs. The Space Killers" near a family of campers who are about to awaken a 3,030 year old evil! Evil in the Woods, apparently the only fractured fable from Fantasy Factory, is chock full of nonsense and bad gags, but features some creative creatures, witches, hillbillies, a bigfoot, aliens, midgets, and everything and the kitchen sink. Original shot on 16mm, but sourced from a tape master, Evil in the Woods feels like a regional SOV flick lost to time, but has a homemade charm that keeps it watchable. Rating: 3/5

[​IMG]

Hellraiser: Reveleations (2010) - Netflix
    When two rich douchebags go missing after taking a trip to Tijuana (pronounced Teak-awanna in the movie), where they were gifted the mysterious puzzle box by a vagrant after accidentally (maybe?) killing a hooker and of course opened it, one of them returns out of the blue to a get together by the families of the missing douchebags. And of course the puzzle box is there, amongst the stuff returned from Mexico by the police or whoever (who knows?), and of course it's opened and Pinhead and his cronies are let loose to claim their flesh. This ninth entry in the painfully over-exhausted franchise is way past the point of the final nail in Pinhead's... head and the first entry to not have any connection to the previous films as Doug Bradely turned down the infamous role (clearly for good reason and not just a paycheque). Spanish-born director Victor García and special effects man-turned-terrible writer Gary J. Tunnicliffe absolutely butcher, maim, and bleed Cliver Barker's Hellraiser mythology into a literal Soap Opera cash-in where all the actors looks basically of a similar age range despite playing parents and their children, are all banging each other, and all dress in yuppie 2000's semi-casual fashion. As a Soap Opera, it's a chore to sit through, as a Hellraiser film it's even worse - seemingly put together by rich white people (who've pilfered other horror franchises) who have only ever watched a trailer to any random entry in the series, paid up for the rights, and expected to rake in the money. Even running an hour and 10 minutes minus the end credits, Hellraiser: Revelations is all pain and no pleasure conducted by a knock-off Pinhead that feels like a Hellish eternity. I would not wish this digital cinema excrement on anyone. Rating: 0/5

Oct. 25th
    [​IMG]

Effects (1979) - DVD (Rewatch)
    Dusty Nelson's Effects is a long lost Pittsburgh production featuring a whole cast and crew of genre workhorses. Lacey Bickle (played by Creepshow composer John Harrison, also serving as Executive Producer and Composer on Effects) is making a low-budget horror film in rural Pittsburgh with a skeleton crew that includes director of photography Dominic (Day of the Dead's Joseph F. Pilato), but as tensions between the crew and their seemingly aloof director begin to surface, things may not be as they seem and more than one movie might be in production with the crew unknowingly set as the cast! Effects is a rich, layered film that is definitely not for everyone as it deals more with the fractured dynamics of filmmaking itself and the drama and relationships that being around the same people every day, all day for a short amount of time and those not familiar with the mechanics of filmmaking may actually fine it rather slow and boring, but the suspense, tension, and paranoia created is realistic and Joe Pilato gives his career best performance here in my opinion. Dusty Nelson's Effects also deals with the stigma and mystery of snuff films that makes for an interesting few twists, and Tom Savini plays a fairly sleazy conspirator and once again provides some practical effects magic. A very underrated and under-seen gem! Rating: 4/5

[​IMG]

The Haunted Pussy (1976) - DVD (Rewatch)
    Doris Wishman's (directing under the pseudonym of Luigi Manicottale) The Haunted Pussy is a hardcore horror that has Randolph (Jeffrey Hurst) stumble home to find his wife in bed with another lover, and after killing them and himself, returns 50 years later to haunt Abby (Ursula Austin) who's moved into the same apartment and is a dead ringer for the dead wife. Appearing in the motion picture miracle effect of the negative image, but only after a bottle of sleeping pills mysteriously appear for Abby to ingest, Randolph appears and has sex with Abby multiple times, and then seeks revenge by killing anyone who also stumbles into the apartment and has sex with Abby. Featuring the iconic Annie Sprinkle as her neighbour and even Roger Caine (from George A. Romero's Martin), The Haunted Pussy is a hilariously cheap and shoddy porno that clearly has Doris Wishman's trademark all over it complete with bad spliced edits, looped segments, monotone dubbing, and footage from other productions randomly inserted. Rating: 2/5

[​IMG]

The Woods (2005) - DVD (Rewatch)
    Set in the mid-'50s, after setting a tree on fire, Heather Fasula (Agnes Bruckner) is sent to a private girls school in the rural New England woods by her parents (Bruce Campbell and Emma Campbell) but soon learns that it's headed by an academy of witches (led by Patricia Clarkson) after several of the students go missing and she herself learns she has otherworldly powers. Lucky McKee's The Woods was an extremely promising follow up to, in my opinion, the fairly average May and showed a director with a promise. It's too bad every other Lucky McKee film since has been a disaster and he's tarnished his name, but The Woods remains Lucky McKee's one film worth re-watching. Beautifully shot with gorgeous locations and production design and even some surprisingly good CGI, The Woods is an atmospheric witchy thriller that continues to be a fun fall viewing experience with some good performances and mood. Rating: 3.5/5

20. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 26TH:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Rocker10, othervoice1 and maskull like this.