The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread - 2015 Edition!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 30th
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

75) Backcountry: A good “When animals attack/nature run a muck” horror film is hard to find and luckily this was one of the better ones. Much like “Jaws” (not to imply that “Backcountry” is on the same level as that movie, because it’s not) this film works because of the amount of believability injected into the plot. While watching this you really get the feeling that this could really happen to you if you were lost in the woods. On the downside of things, the pacing is on the very slow side, almost too slow in parts, but the action there is is very palpable. The practical, and very brutal, gore effects add to the gritty feeling and the musical score adds to the mood. Be aware that there isn’t a huge body count and the climax is very abrupt. A solid woodland thriller overall. (7/10)

76) The Last Shift: I didn’t hear a thing about this film until a few weeks before its release, and the comparison to Carpenter’s “Assault on Precinct 13” didn’t convince me that this would be interesting or original. But after sitting though it I was pleasantly surprised. The film is very story driven, filled with mystery and a number of really good twists and turns, making you question what is real and what isn’t. There are a few negatives though: some of the acting from the supporting cast is a bit hammy, a number of the editing choices weren’t appealing, and the practical effects were a bit on the cheap side. Other than that I can’t complain. Worth a look. (7/10)

77) The Vatican Tapes: I initially didn’t have any interest in seeing this until I heard Mark Neveldine, formerly of the directing duo Neveldine & Taylor, was directing this, my curiosity got the best of me. After viewing it I wish I went with my gut instinct because this film was a complete shit pile. This film’s biggest fault is how poorly directed it is. If this film proves anything it’s that Mark Neveldine is completely incompetent as a director. There are an obscene number of extreme close-ups that are unnecessary and distracting, the cinematography is incredibly piss poor for a main stream horror film, with scenes that are either over exposed with light are very dimly lit for no real reason at all. The story comes start to come together as it comes along, but the horrendous acting and CGI kept me from really getting into it. I’ll give this one being different
    as far a the ending goes, but the end product is just terrible overall. (3/10)

78) Pod: An ok sci-fi/horror thriller that resembles Benson and Moorehead’s “Resolution” in both plot and directing style. I really wanted to like this one but I couldn’t get over the pretentious nature of the overall presentation. The acting is anywhere between over the top ridiculous to absolutely terrible. Follow that with the obnoxious, overbearing “it’s a horror movie!” musical score that is so out of place and distracting in parts that it really took me out of the movies several times. By the time the half way mark rolled around I really couldn’t care less about anything. Mediocre and boring, stick with “Resolution” which is a way more engaging and entertaining film. (5/10)

Workshed, Rocker10 and maskull like this.
  2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

17 10/12 Vincent Price Presents, The Raven (1963)
    Continuing on with Shout's Vincent Price Collection Vol. 2 I'm resuming from last year and watch all the films with Price's Iowa PBS intro's. I'm reminded again just how damn good he is here as he holds us spellbound in a rather long monologe with no cuts. For the film itself, I'm warming up to it with each viewing, but clearly comedy is not Matherson's strong suite (inspite of what he may contend in his interviews). This works as well as it does because Price, Lorre and Karloff are as magnifcient as they are. And the stand out scene is the wizard's duel which warms my heart still with its admitedly low budget but effective effects.

00 10/13 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: "Never Kill a Boy on the First Date" (1997)
    We're back to the vampires here and it feels a bit tedious already for me. Part of it might just be the throw away relationship Buffy's working through here. I get it, that happens (especially in HS) but that doesn't make for great viewing. And the ending is a bit if a cop out. It might have seemed good on paper but it didn't read well on screen, especially with whomever the cast as the would be boyfriend.

18 10/13 Vincent Price Presents, The Comedy of Terrors (1963)
    After finding financial success with the Raven (but with Corman's budgets so low it's hard to imagine them ever not making money) they decided to redouble their efforts and throw in Rathbone for good measure. The production design is excelling with a lot of well done set nuances. And the plot itself its solid. But except for a few brief moments this one's a bit of a dog. Karloff feels almost wasted here but his interactions with the medicine is probably the only genuine scripted laugh I got. Price does have my favorite moment though when chills run down his drunkard spine as his wife tries to seduce him.

00 10/14 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: "The Pack" (1997)
    A surprisingly gruesome episode, and the plot is a well developed one. Too a degree I wonder "why hyenas?" and I wonder if they simply wanted to be flexible on ifs/whens/hows of werewolves. Hyena's are a favorite underutilized creature of mine and so I was able to catch with the sound EFX's which may otherwise invoke monkies more out of the audience then anything else. This episode crossed some lines I just was not expecting and was much more suspenseful than I considered 90's teen TV would get.

19 10/14 Vincent Price Presents, The Tomb of Ligeia (1964)
    This the finale entry in the Poe/Corman/Price series is an underrated one, and upon initial viewings even threw me a bit as somehow underserving. But I've watched it twice more now over the past few Octobers and its place has been renewed for me. The build is drawn out but keeps the audiences interest, and doesn't give too much away. The Egyptian themes are a little lite perhaps and large us of outdoor shooting lightens it still more. But there is a blackness to Ligeia that permates the entire film and (lead actress) is wonderful in this carrying the film better than Price himself.

00 10/15 Minnie the Moocher (1932)
    I'm not sure what Cab Calloway's got to do with spooks but this is a Betty Boop I hadn't gotten around yet to see and came as the opening short to Bowman Body DVD I picked up. I enjoyed the rubber band animation and the cartoony ghosts. It's said a lot but they just don't make'em like they use to and as squatch and stretch as cartoons are today they just aren't nearly as zany as they were in the 30's so this is a prime example.

20 10/15 The Bowman Body Presents, House on Haunted Hill (1959)
    The Bowman Body, a Shock Theatre horror host from the 70's in Virgina, had a revival this past summer with two live stage presentations which have now come out on DVD. First up, and well timed for my theme week, is this William Castle standard. The show gets off with a shakey start and while it is a live recording you can't hear the audience much at all. And you don't get any audience reactions to the movie at all. So what you end up with is the limitations of a stage performance but none of the advantages. Bowman hardly talked at all about the film and instead we got a few skits about fixing up his castle that really didn't seem to go anywhere. Overall it seems underdeveloped and under rehearsed. Though I suspect if they hadn't of done this they wouldn't have done anything at all and so I'm grateful for the end product all the same.

[I just want to note now that the follow up, Horror Hotel, was leaps and bounds better presentation. I'll be posting on that... eventually.]

3. Hatchetwarrior

October 31st
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

79) Creepshow

80) House of 1000 Corpses

81) Suspiria

82) Psycho (1960)

Rocker10, othervoice1 and maskull like this.
  4. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I remember that this was the year a friend and I backpacked around Europe for three and a half months and when I got home, I was flipping through the channels and saw this episode of BTVS. I didn't even know the show existed! I loved the episode and from that point on, this was one of my favourite shows. Never missed an episode after that. So what I'm saying is that this ep holds a special place in my heart. It reminds me of my trip and also it's what introduced me to the show...plus there's hyenas.

5. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 30TH:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Rocker10 and maskull like this.
  6. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 31

Happy Halloween! It's been a fun ride and what made this year more fun was seeing what others were watching and the opinions on these movies. Got lots of tips on movies and beat my previous record of 68 by a decent margin. 102 movies this year. Crazy! It will be fun to look forward to next October, but I'll have to pop in more often as I have been registered for a very long time, but only more active recently. Have fun!

1. Freddy Vs. Jason (2003) - This was a busy movie story-wise. Combining 2 story arcs was interesting and ambitious albeit very busy. I had seen this before but got more out of a lot of it this viewing. Would be interesting to see something like Michael Myers vs. Jason or something like that.

2. Friday the 13th (2009) - A reboot of the franchise. Pretty hardcore in many ways. Movie was okay, I see where there is another one planned for maybe 2017.

3. Eaten Alive (1976) - Oddball movie that works. Tobe Hooper just has a way of making this stuff interesting. Took in a few of his this year. The Blu from Arrow looks ridiculous good. Also thought some of the feature stuff was interesting.

4. Halloween (1978) - How could you let the season go by without a viewing of this classic. Seen this movie many times. Always enjoyed although at this point it's memorized. Good stuff and good blu!

5. Crystal Lake Memories (2013) - Kudos on this set. Very informative with a staggering amount of extra material. I watched this as I watched the franchise this month. Had to finish it up at the end, but this was really cool and worth the pickup.

7. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Oct. 31:

The Willies (1990)-Fun anthology film.
    Halloween H20 (1998)-Honestly I'm never been a big fan of it. I however love the final 20 minutes though.

maskull and Rocker10 like this.
  8. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 31ST:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TOTAL: 148

9. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

Happy Halloween Everybody!

I didn't have a chance to watch too many movies this year, but did rewatch Pan's Labyrinth this year. I like it, and it's much bloodier than I remember it being.

maskull, Rocker10 and othervoice1 like this.
  10. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

October 31st

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

maskull, Rocker10 and othervoice1 like this.
  11. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Oct 31 -
    The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)
    Man has it really been 22 years since this was first released? It was a classic the day it came out - everything about it is great - and the music is top notch.
    5/5

Dracula (1931)
    Bela Lugosi - Nuff Said
    5/5

Return of the Living Dead (1985) original soundtrack
    No matter how many times I watch this I crack up. It's funny, it's gory and it is great.
    5/5

Halloween (2007) Theatrical Cut
    After 3 perfect/near perfect movies I decided to end things up with Halloween - but instead of the classic original I went with Rob Zombie's version (theatrical which IMO is way superior to the director's cut)
    I know I get some flack for this but actually like it - do not love it but I like it. First half prequel portion kinda sucks- 2nd half remake portion I think is pretty solid. It is also cool to see a lot of familiar faces from the past cast in it. Still a broken attempt as a Halloween reboot but I still enjoy the second half of it.
    2.75/5 (yea I cheated and stuck a .75 in there)

maskull and Rocker10 like this.
  12. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

For the day of darkness, I went full on rewatch, films seen many times before and that I'll continue to rewatch until I'm a corpse. And maybe even after that….

Ratings are out of four stars (****).

10/31/15 - Tales from the Hood (1995) ***1/2
    You'll be knee-deep in the shit!

This "colorized holiday classic" is a movie I appreciate more with each viewing. I'm giving it an extra 1/2 star for the season, but it’s a good enough film to probably deserves it anyway.

Enough write ups have been done on this one I won't go into deep details. This is a brisk paced horror anthology that stands tall with the best of the genre. Its moralistic tone is heavy handed, but it does not shirk the writing style or spot on cinematography of the EC inspired films it mimics and is effective on both levels. The cast is top notch, with notables in a field of high quality of David Alan Grier terrifyingly against type and Clarence Williams III going absolutely batshit awesome. Starting with a contender for creepiest mortuary in film history and ending stone cold karma, this is quality Halloween viewing.

This film isn't just overdue for Blu-ray, it’s been ridiculously out of print in any format since its DVD release, a situation the film's characters would claim "man, that's bullshit!".

10/31/15 - Bubba Ho-Tep (2002) ***1/2
    There are a handful of horror comedy films that do horror better. A handful that do comedy better. A handful with an even more outlandish premise. But none are a better "buddy" picture.

And at its core, that’s what this film is, what it does so incredibly well. It’s about two geezers that stop wallowing in regrets waiting to die, and decide instead to go out on their own terms....

Against a soul sucking mummy.

And if when the two of them shuffle their way down the rest home corridor for the final showdown you aren't thinking it’s one of the most arse kicking heroic duo ride out scenes in movie history, then that mummy has already made a meal of your soul.

10/31/15 - From Beyond (1986) ***
    Another Stuart Gordon, Jeffrey Combs, and Barbara Crampton team up proving the 80s to be the era of practical effects and body horror masterpieces.

Flawless editing and pacing make for a non-stop rollercoaster of weird, rarely giving viewers the chance to catch their breath long enough to question the quality of plot or effects before the next WTF moment hits. Better horror films came before and since and will in the future, but this one will long be near the top of the imaginative mind freak list.

10/31/15 - The Fog (1980) ***1/2
    It just wouldn't be Halloween without John Carpenter. And I'm breaking ranks and committing sacrilege, by redeclaring this pitch perfect slow build terror ghost story, not Halloween, as Carpenter's second best horror film (behind The Thing).

13. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

10/31 Halloween II

Still great for me after all these years. So filled with dread, great synth-retooled score and such a haunting ending.

Rocker10, othervoice1 and maskull like this.
  14. maskull

October 31st HALLOWFEEN: Movies#98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, & 105

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  15. Hatchetwarrior

Just to do a bit of recap: first time viewings are in orange.

Hatchetwarrior's 2015 October Viewings
    10/1- Cooties (7/10)/The Editor (8/10)
    10/2- The Pact 2 (3/10)/Dark Summer (4/10)
    10/3- Ejecta (3/10)/Extraterrestrial (6/10)
    10/4- Devil's Backbone Texas (5/10)/The Mirror (7/10)/Unfriended (6/10)/Creep (7.5/10)
    10/5- Open Windows (5/10)/Alone With Her (5/10)
    10/6- Enter The Dangerous Mind (3/10)/The Harvest (5/10)
    10/7- The Blood Lands (6/10)/In Fear (6/10)
    10/8- Da Sweet Blood of Jesus (6/10)/The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears (5/10)
    10/9- Cannibal: A Love Story (7/10)/The Stranger (5/10)
    10/10- Cub (8/10)/Dark Was the Night (4/10)
    10/11- Zombeavers (4/10)/The Final Girls (8/10)/Summer of Blood (6/10)
    10/12- Hellions (5/10)/The Hole (2009) (3/10)
    10/13- Monsters: Dark Continent (5/10)/Tremors 5: Bloodlines (6/10)
    10/14- Stonehearst Asylum (6/10)/At The Devil's Door (3/10)
    10/15- The Canal (7/10)/A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (8/10)
    10/16- Dust Devil (6/10)/Nightbreed (director's cut) (8/10)
    10/17- Extinction (6/10)/Insidious: Chapter 3 (5/10)
    10/18- Waxwork/Killer Klowns from Outer Space/Fright Night (1985)/Night of the Demons
    10/19- Night of the Living Dead (1968)/Dawn of the Dead (1978)/Day of the Dead (1985)
    10/20- The Mummy (1959) (7/10)/Taste the Blood of Dracula/Dracula has Risen from the Grave/Frankenstein Must be Destroyed
    10/21- Night of the Creeps/Monster Squad
    10/22- Tales of Halloween (7/10)/VHS/VHS 2/Trick r Treat
    10/23- Shaun of the Dead/Behind the Mask: Rise of Leslie Vernon/Severance/Cabin in the Woods
    10/24- An American Werewolf in London/Return of the Living Dead
    10/25- Crimson Peak (6/10)/The Innocents/The Legend of Hell House
    10/26- Scream/Blair Witch Project
    10/27- Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)/Halloween (1978)
    10/28- Dracula (1930)/Frankenstein (1931)/Bride of Frankenstein/The Mummy (1932)/The Wolfman (1941)
    10/29- Mosquito/Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight
    10/30- Backcountry (7/10)/The Last Shift (7/10)/The Vatican Tapes (3/10)/Pod (5/10)
    10/31- Creepshow/House of 1000 Corpses/Suspiria/Psycho (1960)

October Total: 82

Top Ten First Time Viewings
    1) A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night
    2) The Final Girls
    3) Cub
    4) The Editor
    5) Nightbreed (directors cut)
    6) The Canal
    7) Tales of Halloween
    8) Cooties
    9) Creep
    10) The Last Shift

maskull, othervoice1 and Rocker10 like this.
  16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

21 10/16 Creature From the Black Lagoon (1954)
    The film opens on an expose on the creation of earth, based upon what was known at the time in science, and is the kinda thing Hollywood today is terrified to make. There were similar sequences in the recent movie Lucy which all had to be done outside of Hollywood to get any traction and really makes me pause to ask what have we gain from Hollywood today? And what have we lost. With this film Universal created an instant classic worthy to be among the pantheon of classic movie monsters that will live on for countless years after. And it was done during the atomic aged 50's mind you. Its impossible to imagine today's Universal coming anywhere close to that again, especially with their long trouble remake trapped in endless development hell.

22 10/17 Svengoolie Presents, It Came From Outer Space (1953)
    Svengoolie timed this well for me, making a bit of a Jack Arnold double feature. It's interesting to me that Ray Bradbury came off as rather sexist in his last few decades but the female lead here is a strong roll with a strong mind. While it might be easy to deride her character for being easily scared, she's brave in character standing up to the reporters, to the other male figures in her life (like the sheriff and principle) and to her own would be fiancee.

23 10/17 Mystery Science Theater 3000: "The Unearthly" (1957)
    The boys are especially hard on John Carradine here but absolutely relentless on Tor Johnson. And I couldn't stop laughing. There's a special insider knowledge the crew had about these two and the industry itself that laid the ground work for these riffs and while I understand why many movie fans mase deride the show for it there are those of us who can appreciate and laugh at it too. It doesn't mean I think poorly of Carradine or Johnson, but you have to admit it is funny.

24 10/17 Mystery Science Theater 3000: "Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders" (1996)
    I always try to squeeze this one it as it's such a counter-intuitive yet whole suited film for the season. Wizards and the dark arts are just as much a part of the season was werewolves, zombies and vampires. And with Merlin, an amalgamation of pagan/druid sources, as center piece this always evokes the true spirit of the season for me. Plus this movie is just that perfect mix of whimsy and demonic. Not to forget the boys really tear into this one like they regularly do during the Sci-Fi Ch. seasons.

00 10/17 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: "Angel" (1997)
    There's a rather cool concept behind this episode that I never really thought of, and is only lightly touched upon in vampire films, but the idea that vampires are really just possessed corpses is a fascinating one. One that echos films that dig deeper into the old world mythology of vampiric lore. Original I was thinking Angel would be a dhampir but this makes for a more interesting character. And a character you can better sympathies with. Normally a dhampir is just madsad that they have vampiric blood, no matter how righteously they've live. For Angel he did do the full vampiric thing, for centuries, before a gypsy curse returned his soul. And having hundreds, if not thousands, of lives on your hands is one hell of a tragic flaw.

25 10/17 Bud Abbott Lou Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)
    Recently I've been seeing people remarking that this is Lugosi's best turn as Dracula and I can't say I agreed with that before and I can't say I agree with that even now after watching it with this in mind. Lugosi is clearly in "comedic" mode year, one of those actors who carries a smirk on his face when playing any comedy so the audience can know they're in on the joke. While Lugosi does have a few nice moments none of them can compare in any way to his performance from 1931. In contrast I'd say Lon Channey Jr. does an excellent job playing the straight man, teeing up allowing the comedians to get the laughs. This also offers us a nice alternative to the usual Larry Tolbert. Instead of being self absorbed in his own problems he's instead trying to save the world in spite of his limitations. He goes the extra mile in several instances to help characters out and without the usual shoehorned in love story of a girl falling for the wrong guy there's much less eye rolling to his screen presence.

26 10/18 Mystery Science Theater 3000: "Revenge of the Creature" (1955)
    I'd forgotten this was the first episode of the Sci-Fi Channel years and so I wanted to take the chance to commend Bill Corbett, who really gave a shot to the arm of a flagging series. Towards the end of the Comedy Central epoch they really seamed to be running out of steam, and while The Movie is an absolute favorite of mine, dropping a corner stone like Trace Beaulieu and moving production could have been the death nails of any series. Yet Mary Jo Pehl really stepped up her game by rebooting her character and Kevin Murphy re-imagined himself too. But Bill was something of a special find, supplying two excellent characters and well as all his skills behind the camera. And his continued work with Mike and Kevin on Rifftrax really shows I think the special bound these boys created and shared with us MSTies.

27 10/18 The Wolf Man (1941)
    One interesting thing I picked up on during this viewing is that the lore is, "and the Autumn moon is bright." It doesn't have to be precisely full, it's more seasonal than anything else. And that gives the series a lot more leeway that we typically give it. As mentioned in Meet Frankenstein, one of my big problems with Wolf Man is the "me, me, me" character of Larry Tolbert and the fact that women fall for him precisely because he's "the wrong guy." And of course, this movie is no exception. But it's at least left crafted about it. It's understandable for Larry to be this way when it first begins to unravel for him and Evelyn Ankers never really outright commits to him. She of course feels strongly about the man who risked his own life to try and save her best friend Jenny's life; and her own life perhaps too. But as the series gets further out and lazier these cliches come back around to bite this one in the ass.

00 10/19 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: "I, Robot... You, Jane" (1997)
    This was a fun one, giving a nice arch for Willow while still playing around with conventions. This has to be a pretty early story on Technopaganism and Miss Calendar makes for a nice reflection of Giles; also opening up Willow's character to be something else too. This also reminds me of Age of Ultron a bit too.

28 10/19 The Invisible Man (1933)
    Claude Raines is excellent here, alternating between horrifying madness to sympathetic, blood chilling cruelty to light hearted bemusement; often within the same scene. Which brings me to the question, why wasn't Raines a bigger horror/mystery/thriller star? He had the chops, and he had the body of work, with Invisible Man, The Phantom of the Opera, Wolf Man, even Notorious! And yet he did not go down in the history books as a spine tingler like his Casablanca co-star Peter Lorre even though Lorre never had the iconic roles Raines had.

00 10/20 Buffy the Vampire Slayer: "The Puppet Show" (1997)
    There's nothing more creepy and lovable than a supernaturally animated puppet. And they do a good job here challenging expectations while also delivering on what we really want from a burlesque puppet. The plot here has just enough twists to keep things interesting and we do get some surprisingly nice character nuances drawn out of this. There's also a surprisingly poignant ending.

29 10/20 Murders in the Rue Morgue (1932)
    Happy Cake Bela! Dr. Mirakle is something of a forgot performance of Bela's but this is one of his best performances. He's not just "Lugosi as a mad scientist" here but truly cultivated an enigmatic performance. We may have something here of Lugosi's Dr. Frankenstein within this performance (yes, after originally being cast as The Monster he was going to then play Frankenstein himself before being thoroughly dismissed.) Opens with music from Swan Lake, same as Dracula and The Mummy. It's something of an officially unofficial music cue of the early Universal Horrors, try to replicate Dracula's initial formula to success. I first noticed Noble Johnson is in here as well, playing the Igor role. I just noticed too it in this viewing but Lugosi's laboratory uses the same sets as Whale's Frankenstein. It's well obscured by mixing things up a bit but The Monster's prison is now Lugosi's loft and Frankenstein's laboratory and stairs are being used too. I know Frankenstein so well I'm surprised I never noticed before as I've watch Rue Morgue many times now recently. Rather ironic considering director Robert Florey was original picked to direct Frankenstein then dismissed. Although hardly Poe any more this does follows Poe mystery formula very well. It also occurs to me that the joke about the three languages being misheard from the gorilla's sounds can also show the ape's speech is the root of all languages, a rather subversive notion even in '32. There was a lot of shades of King Kong here with the gorilla falling in love with a girl, going on a rampage, scaling the rooftops and
    being shot down by a gunman at the same heights

30 10/21 Crimson Peak: The IMAX Experience (2015)
    Kinda came from nowhere didn't? But then I try not to follow these things in order to keep them fresh upon first viewings. I heard mixed things but the ratings were still a strong 7+ on IMBd so a friend and fellow Guillermo del Toro fan joined me to see this on the 70' IMAX screen.
    As has been said ad nauseam, the production design and set pieces are top notch here. But yes the plot is plodding, especially in the first half of the film. We're thoroughly entrenched in a Jane Austin opening without much divergence. And as were in the midst of a fairly predictable Old Dark House plot it doesn't help that they take things slow. The fact that it opens with narration from the denouement doesn't help.
    Some nice touches are the two iris outs Del Toro used, a rare cinematic touch and even rarer when not directly used within a silent context. Also Mia Wasikowska's line, "I'd rather be a Widow like Shelly" struck me as an apt one. There's also an early murder that is especially gruesome but while promising proves to be the peak of brutality in the film. And as such the finale is a bit peaked.
    This is a chick flick through and through though; the fact that there's more boy butt then girl butt throughout is all the proof you need. Which is not a bad thing, and in terms of box office draw it just needs needs to be advertised better. It should have been drowning in tweens looking for their fix between Twilight and the Twilight reboot. Shame that it wasn't.
    [​IMG]
    Dat Azz...

31 10/22 Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Robot vs. the Aztec Mummy ( La momia azteca contra el robot humano ) (1958)
    If you've already seen the Aztec Mummy movies this one's a full out slog as it spends the first half recounting what happened in the prior two entries. And as this is the first season of MST3k the boys don't help you out as much as you'd like.

32 10/22 The Mummy (1932)
    An under-appreciated classic I admit, but one whom still holds me utmost admiration. Karloff is mesmerizing here with spellbound Zita Johann giving a performance excelling Helen from Dracula and Karloff rivaling Lugosi from Dracula too. Throw in Edward Van Sloan for good measure and what you have here is a monster that can stand blow to blow with all the classic monstah flicks.

17. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

October 31

[​IMG]
    Halloween (1978)

[​IMG]
    Halloween II (1981)

othervoice1, Angelman and maskull like this.
  18. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Lumberjack man, some nice gore, but went to silly with the humour, if they had rained that back, this could of been so much more.

maskull likes this.
  19. maskull

My Top 13 First Time Watches:

13. Eko Eko Azarak IV: Awakening (2001)
    12. Autopsy (1975)
    11. When Animals Dream (2014)
    10. Taste The Blood Of Dracula (1970)
    09. Messiah of Evil (1973)
    08. It Follows (2015)
    07. Wild Zero (1999)
    06. The Bad Seed (1956)
    05. Housebound (2014)
    04. Phantom of the Paradise (1974)
    03. Venus In Furs (1969)
    02. The Visitor (1979)
    01. The Brood (1979)

Total watches: 105
    First Time Watches: 67

Well not as many as I usually watch (I realize it's an insane amount compared to what most people do) but I just didn't feel like going completely insane this year. My goal was 100. Good enough. Now I have to find the time to watch all thses new movies I've added to my watch list thanks to this thread. I think I may need about three lifetimes...or at least 4-5 more Octobers.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for participating and for all your reviews/recommendations/comments. It was fun!

Workshed, hots4 and Angelman like this.
  20. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Children of the Corn (1984)
    [​IMG]

I recently re-read the short story and fell in love with it again. This adaptation is pretty successful--it deviates but mostly in exposition, and warranted exposition at that. Malachai is fucking terrifying: that red hair and underbite? Yikes. Wish the ending were as bleak as the short story's--here, it's a bit too convenient. Overall, still holds up.

It Follows (2015)

[​IMG]

Upon rewatch, I noticed how slowly this moves--not in a bad way, but when you remove the suspense of "When/Who" and when you know the rules are not grounded, it isn't as gripping. The opening and lead are so good, however. It's a really fun and a stand-out from this year.

The Monster Squad (1987)

[​IMG]

Rudy is the best! And with that, Halloween is over.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    othervoice1 likes this.