The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread - 2015 Edition!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2015.

1. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

[​IMG]

Movie #4: Extinction (2014)

I was actually enjoying just traipsing around the jungle with the obnoxious camera man and his fellow adventurers, but once the dinosaurs attack, the movie starts to get tedious pretty fast. All that happens is people running from one place to another, climbing some rocks, seeing a dinosaur, and then seemingly running back the way they just came. And repeat. And Repeat. I think this would've been better if they cut twenty minutes from the dinosaur attack portion of the film. This was just too much.

2. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Active Member

I still have the body snatcher , the curse of the cat people and i walked with a zombie to watch this month , although i dont post a lot on this forum i visit very often and have used a lot of peoples recommendations on here to finish my horror film education.

3. maskull

Cool. Body Snatcher and Zombie are two of my personal favourites.

4. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

My viewing tonight, 'gravy', looks fun.

5. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 1st:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

maskull likes this.
  6. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

:)
    I'm with you. October starts mid August for me :)

Started off this morning with an episode of The Hilarious House of Frightenstein

7. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

[​IMG]
    Kind of a tepid way to start October. First time viewing, was never quite engaged. It plays with audience expectations, and as a murder mystery, it's more ambitious than that other Suzy Kendall giallo, Torso (albeit not as elegant as The Bird with the Crystal Plumage). What Torso has is stronger pacing, more suspense, and a pinch of sleaze. After setting up the was-there-really-a-murder-or-is-he-nuts-and-who-can-he-trust premise, Spasmo floats in the Limbo of a uniquely boring romance. When are they gonna get to the fireworks factory?

crikan, maskull and DVD-fanatic-9 like this.
  8. maskull

[​IMG]

Movie #5: Grizzly (2014)

Weirdly decent cast for what amounts to a man (men) vs nature film. Some nice practical gore and some pretty ugly cg fx...but I suppose it's better than having to fight and kill a real bear. Once we get in to the woods, this sucker moves at a really quick pace with multiple bear sightings/attacks. Pretty entertaining.

Kim Bruun and Anthropophagus like this.
  9. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Watched this a couple of weeks ago and also thought it was pretty decent.

10. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

It seems every year I get a little bit harsher in my assessment of horror films that I used to enjoy at least to a degree.
    My October movie marathon kicked off with a whimper with a viewing of The Beast Within, it's a great blu-ray as usual courtesy of Scream Factory but the film is just pure tedium to my eyes. I like the fact that Ronny Cox and R.G. Armstrong are re-teamed in this one after The Car (a film I still enjoy tremendously), however the male adolescent lead is pretty terrible and I find the pacing intolerably slow. I actually had to turn it off after about thirty minutes, it's a likely candidate for my resale pile.

Oct.1. The Beast Within. 2/10.

maskull and Kim Bruun like this.
  11. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

October 1
    [​IMG]
    John Carpenter's The Ward (2010)

This has been sitting on my shelf for several years. Iffy reviews and bad word of mouth kept me from watching it until now. Definitely not a great film but not as bad as I was expecting. Glad I finally gave it a shot but nothing remarkable and I doubt I'll revisit it any time soon.

maskull likes this.
  12. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

13. maskull

Oh yeah!! I'm looking forward to finally checking out my blu of this one this halloween. Love this movie!

satans-sadists likes this.
  14. maskull

[​IMG]

Movie #6: Blood Runs Cold (2011)

Ultra low budget Swedish slasher that involves four people in a house, out in the middle of nowhere with a seemingly supernatural killer/cannibal. Some nice build up of atmosphere and a couple of decent kills (they didn't skimp on the blood no matter what this movie cost), but in the end when we get to the final girl, things just go a little silly and repetitive. I also don't seem to recall why the heck the killer is so hard to kill. I think he's a snow zombie!! Actually snow mummy because he does seem to be quite dusty when people stab him. Yeah.

Anyway I love that this takes place in the winter time. I felt pretty damn cold throughout this movie and snow shows blood really well.

crikan likes this.
  15. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

First 3 movies for Day 1.

1. The Babadook (2014) - Not bad, but kind of lacking in ways.

2. Friday the 13th (1980) - Always watch a franchise. Due to buying Crystal Lake Memories last week on Blu, it will probably be Friday the 13th. Always a classic.

3. Empire of the Ants (1977) - Your average 70's creature flick. Good cheese here, not great, but entertaining nonetheless.

maskull likes this.
  16. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Love this list of classics, good stuff!

17. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

10/2 The Boneyard (1991)

Wow. I love when I unearth a gem and this was it. The acting, by the unlikely female lead, was great. Felt like Peter Jackson/Dan O'Bsnnon light but stood on its own two legs. Great fx which ranged from genuinely creepy to outlandish fun. Could not reccomend this more. There was actual character development!

maskull likes this.
  18. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Shakma (1990) 3/10 **

There are a few moments of unintentional hilarity but not enough to warrant spending 100 minutes with SHAKMA. It’s incredibly dull. Characters hardly react when they see dead acquaintances and some stand frozen as colleagues get mauled. There isn’t anything interesting to look at either. Taking place in one generic location the film looks like the early 90's Direct-to-video flick that it is. Complete with boring cinematography, cheap music, bad acting and a terrible script. I found the adults role playing to be a little silly as well. This flick needed some gratuitous sleaze and an aggressive editor to get the runtime down to 80 minutes. There's no reason not to have the slutty student craving a lay and a shower while a rabid baboon is on the rampage. Don’t fall for the hype, avoid this turd.

[​IMG]

You're Next (2011) 1/10 **

I hate this movie! I've watched more than a thousand films in the past 5 years and of those I consider YOU'RE NEXT the worst experience I've had. I've enjoyed films that centered on despicable characters getting hacked up. The F13 remake comes to mind. I can stomach sadistic films with little artistic merit (e.g. the I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE remake). YOU'RE NEXT is those things but so exceptionally stupid and poorly made that watching it is a physically uncomfortable experience. The characters are unbearable. Much of what they say and do is incomprehensible. The dinner scene is the most excruciatingly painful thing I've seen on film. Not the killing part, the dialog. Having the daughter run out the front door is one of the stupidest things I've seen. One of the killers has the heroine lying on the floor in front of him and he misses her with an axe by a foot. One killer comes to a window, slowly looks around, sees a nail trap on the floor, and still steps right into a trap. Its too stupid to believe but the buffoonery just continues as every death left me saying WTF. Add to that, gratuitous use of slow motion and the shakiest camera in cinema history. I'm not a shaky cam or slow motion hater but its so egregious in YOU'RE NEXT, you'd think it was for laughs. The “twist” or reason behind the killings is so obvious it’s boring. The film doesn’t even have a cool villain or killer. They are bumbling idiots and quibbling babies. This film is an insult to anyone unfortunate enough to see it.

[​IMG]

The Angry Red Planet (1959) 3/10 **

The 50 minutes it takes before getting to Mars is incredibly stupid and boring. The crew is so unbelievable as astronauts and scientists that it should induce riotous laughter. Between the lead doing his "Humphrey Bogart in space" impression and the cheap ass ship interior set, I felt like I was watching community theater. The fun starts when they get to Mars. There is a really cool red filter effect that covers the screen when they leave the spaceship. If it didn’t cause massive headaches I bet it was a hoot to see back in 1959. The red filter enhances the creature effects, making them very impressive. Unfortunately the final 10 minutes is a disjointed mess. Overall I’d say this film isn’t worth the time.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    DVD-fanatic-9 and maskull like this.
  19. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

Halloween (1978)
    BR
    Halloween II (1981) BR
    Halloween H2o: Twenty Years Later BR

What better way to start the Halloween season than with a certified classic, Halloween. Halloween II takes off right after where the first one ended so watching one without the other seems incomplete to me. Which brings me to Halloween H20. This one slowly grew on me throughout the years and now I love it. This is the first time I watched these films back to back to back. It works.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  20. maskull

[​IMG]

Movie #7: House on Haunted Hill (1959)

A murder mystery that takes place in a haunted house, starring Vincent Price (and a really creepy looking house) and directed by William Castle. Plenty of chills and plenty of silly with some inventive effects for the time. What I like about this movie is that it could truly be a haunted house movie or it could all just be mundane, people offing each other and just blaming the ghosts. You don't really know.

Plus, there's a vat of acid in the floor of the cellar. Cool.

DVD-fanatic-9 and Rocker10 like this.