The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread - 2015 Edition!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Rft183

Rft183 Member

Well I haven't watched anything in October yet, though a couple of weeks ago I did manage to watch Dellamorte Dellamore (Cemetery Man). It was definitely interesting... I'm thinking that "It Follows" looks like it could be pretty good, so I'm going to try to watch it this weekend.

2. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

[​IMG]

Movie # 8 & 9: The Raven (1963) & The Comedy of Terrors (1963)

The Raven: I laughed a few times but this movie never really gets good until the final magical battle between Karloff and Price. The puppies were so cute!

The Comedy of Terrors: Lorre, Price, Karloff, Rathbone, and Rhubarb the cat. Directed by Jacques Tourneur, Written by Richard Matheson. Amazing pedigree for the people involved with this movie and they all seem to be having a great time making it, but for me it was merely smile-inducing rather than out and out funny. I got pretty sick of the bad opera singer joke by the end.

DVD-fanatic-9 and Kim Bruun like this.
  3. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Active Member

4. I Walked With A Zombie (1943.)
    Was going to leave this for later in the month but a big thumbs up from maskull made me push this to the top of the pile and just like him i am sad that ill never have a first time viewing of this film again. an almost dreamlike and sinister atmosphere with understated performances from the cast helped make this for me one of the most effective films i have seen from this period.

maskull likes this.
  4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I didn't hate this movie THAT much, but yeah, I sure wondered why horror fans like it so much. I found Kidnapped to be a infinitely better home invasion movie.

At Comic-Con this past summer there was a panel where they showed stills from various movies and gave prizes to people who could name the movie. When they showed a still from Angry Red Planet, I jokingly called out "The Misfits - Walk Among Us!"

5. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Ha! Good one.

6. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 2nd:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

maskull likes this.
  7. maskull

[​IMG]

Movie #10: The Tomb of Ligeia (1964)

Beautiful location, great performances, and a creepy black cat, all existing in a nightmarish world of love, loss, and control from beyond the grave. A couple of the dream sequences flirt with silliness, but still manage to be effectively haunting. Wonderful movie that reminds us that Roger Corman wasn't always a schlock-meister.

8. maskull

Glad you liked it, but not a big surprise because how could you not if you enjoy Lewton films? :)

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  9. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 2nd
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3) The Pact 2: An awful sequel to the passable original. This nothing more than a mediocre crime drama dressed up as a supernatural thriller. I’m honestly questioning if this was even intended to be a sequel or if it was just a generic throw away script that was retooled to pass of as a sequel because this film has very little in common with its predecessor. Follow that up with lame, predictable jump scares, bad acting and directing, and a stupid and useless plot twist at the end of the third act, which makes no sense at all. What you get here is just a forgettable, disaster of a film. (3/10)

4) Dark Summer: I loved Paul Solet’s debut feature “Grace” which was a hue breath of fresh air in the horror genre at the time of its release. But everything that made “Grace” a fantastic film is all but absent from “Dark Summer.” Much like “The Pact 2,” this film is generic, clichéd and boring. Sure, the idea of having the lead unable to escape the clutches of a ghost because he is under house arrest is an interesting concept, but nothing worthwhile is done to create a sense of tension or claustrophobia. There are some cool directing choices made, but everything else is so bad that it just takes away from it. I wish the best in Paul Solet’s future as a director but this is a huge step down. (4/10)

maskull likes this.
  10. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

10/3 The Trouble with Miss Switch (1980)

Watched this ABC Weekend Special animated program as a kid and loved it so watched it again with my 5 year old... Who also loved it. Good witchy fun, and Miss Switch is hot.

maskull likes this.
  11. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

October 2
    [​IMG]
    Butcher Baker, Nightmare Maker (1982)

[​IMG]
    John Carpenter's Cigarette Burns (2005)

maskull likes this.
  12. maskull

[​IMG]

Movie #11: The Last Man On Earth (1964)

Of the three major films based on Richard Matheson's novel, I think this is the best one and, it's been a long while since I read the book, I think it's probably the closest to the source material. Vincent Price stars and actually reigns himself in to almost-human levels of acting/emoting (not a shot at Price, I love him at his Price-y-est). The movie does drag a little during the flashback scenes but my favourite part of the story is when Vincent Price's character is just going through his daily routine and all the things he has to get done before the sun goes down.

13. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 2

1. Jaws of Satan (1981) - Finishing up the 2 feature set from Scream Factory. Not bad and fits well in the set.

2. Grizzly (1976) - The new Blu from Scorpion Releasing. I paid close attention to this due to the remarks of being not up to the usual quality. Plenty of film grain and some scenes did look a little soft. Always liked this film and don't regret the purchase.

DVD-fanatic-9 and maskull like this.
  14. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Noticing a pattern with the Vincent Price stuff. What would Halloween be with the legend himself. You have good taste!

15. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

OCTOBER 2nd

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  16. maskull

Well thanks, but a lot of the credit has to go to the good people at Scream Factory for releasing the awesome Vincent Price Collection 2. Then again, I did the purchasing and watching so I deserve all the credit!

17. maskull

[​IMG]

Movie #12: When Animals Dream (2014)

Dark, dreary, depressing, sad, but with some truly gorgeous locations/music/filming styles. Danish werewolf movie/coming of age film that doesn't have much gore or much in the way of transformation scenes, but if you let yourself go and immerse yourself in the world, you won't care about the lack of blood.

18. maskull

[​IMG]
    Movie #13: Face Of The Screaming Werewolf (1964)

Apparently this is made up of two Mexican films cut together, along with some insert shots and then dubbed into English. This movie makes no sense. It does have Lon Chaney Jr. in it but he doesn't say a single word. Does a bang up job of playing a werewolf, even though he started out the movie being a muddy looking mummy. As I said, this movie makes no sense and unless you're really drunk, you'll probably be bored by it as well. Except for the part near the end where a guy is wailing on Lon Chaney Wolfman with a flaming stick. Look painfully hilarious!

19. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

A Nightmare On Elm Street (original)
    Curtains
    The House That Dripped Blood
    Black Sabbath (A.I.P version)
    The Curse Of Frankenstein/Horror Of Dracula (theatrical screening, double bill ! )
    British Film Forever: Magic, Murder and Monsters (Docu.)
    A History Of Horror (Docu.)
    The Fog (original)
    The American Nightmare (Docu.)
    House Of Usher
    House Of Wax (original)
    The Lost Boys
    Earth Vs. The Spider (original)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  20. maskull

[​IMG]

Movie #14: Iron Wolf (2014)

Well the big rubber werewolf might have been ok if this movie had any sort of sense of humour but the characters in this movie are too busy saying "Hey, I'm German but I'm not a Nazi. I hate Nazis!" over and over again....not that I'm saying there's something wrong with hating Nazis, it's just that it got to be a bit too much. I get it.

Also, for a movie about a punk rock band planning on doing a reunion show, this movie isn't very punk rock. The score is bland canned music, they seem to have forgotten any instruments, and no one does a single thing musical.

The location is cool though.The idea could be cool too. It's just a shame these pluses were used in this movie and not done by someone with some actual skill.