The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread - 2015 Edition!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'll see what I can do this year.

1. Come Back to Me (2014) - recommendation from a poster here, and I'm glad I bit on it. Interesting movie that grabs you early, makes you think it's going in one direction, then completely changes course. The best part is, the zigs and zags this movie takes make sense in the grand scheme of things, and are not just there so the viewer can say "ohhh, I didn't see the twist coming". I find that to be a major cop-out by filmmakers. Apparently this was based on a novel (it's listed in the closing credits), and they wisely chose to rename it, otherwise you'd probably expect what eventually happens. Highly recommended.

2. Zombie (1980) - Was watching a YouTube video on something, don't even remember what, and they compared something to a "Fulci eye-gouge" and showed the infamous scene from Zombie. That was all the inspiration I needed to pop in my Blue Underground Blu-Ray. Fun movie, but sorry, zombie vs. shark is still dumb.

crikan and maskull like this.
  2. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I kinda like that scene. If for no other reason than that it features two awesome things together. Now... zombie vs. helicopter. THAT is dumb! :p

Rocker10, DVD-fanatic-9 and maskull like this.
  3. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 3rd
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5) Ejecta: I can’t remember the last time I was this bored watching a horror movie. The narrative is so paper thin and clichéd beyond belief that my attension kept wondering throughout. I liked the found footage idea, but like ever other alien related found footage film this one is a total failure. I really feel sorry for character actor Julian Richings who gives the only good performance because everyone else is absolutely awful. (3/10)

6) Extraterrestrial: A solid sophomore effort from the Vicious Brothers, who directed the descent found footage film “Grave Encounters.” I can’t say that I loved this one but it kept my attention. The special effects, both practical and digital. Were well done for a small budget indie film, and the performances were more than expectable. The film does drag its feet during the second act to its own fault, but the story is well told, the characters are fleshed out enough that you care about their well being, and the ending is quite satisfying, if not bitter sweet. (6/10)

maskull likes this.
  4. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

[​IMG]

Movie #15: The Boy Who Cried Werewolf (1973)

Gawd the kid is annoying! The father is such a dick!

Three things I loved about this movie:

1. The part when the werewolf is on the road, growling at cars. One car flies off the road and explodes. Another crashes and then the werewolf lopes over and apparently rips the guy's head off...not that I could see it. Still cool though.

2. The Hippies aka The Jesus Freaks. Especially the part when the werewolf attacks the commune and they start praying at it. The leader of the commune was a nice mix of nut job, religious zealot, and a little but of humourous charlatan.

3. The werewolf. Yes, he's actually sort of cute but he manages to be slightly believable and at times is quite vicious.

A lot better than I thought it was going to be.

5. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

October 4th: Don't Look in the Basement
    [​IMG]
    I kinda like Brownrigg's films (well, this one and Don't Open the Door). They're excentric and cheap, which adds to their eerie vibe, and the cast (which largely overlaps) is colourful. Unfortunately, they can also be a bit of a endurance test. Basement loses narrative momentum when it starts to go into various character interrelations and only recovers when it places our heroine in peril towards the end. The actress playing the head of the asylum is excellent, though, as she gradually allows her character's veneer of sanity to disintegrate. Overall, I think I prefer the structure and pacing of Door, even if Basement has the more memorable plot.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  6. maskull

[​IMG]

Movie #16: The Werewolf (1956)

A man becomes a werewolf against his will because two evil-ish scientists inject him or zap him with some werewolf juice...or something. It doesn't matter.

Anyway the man turns into a werewolf and kills a man who is trying to rob him and then the manhunt begins! A lot of this movie is spent out in the forest with the poor wolfman getting stuck in bear traps, starving, being shot at, having torches thrown at him...let's just say that by the end of this movie you'll feel suitably sorry for the guy.

Nice change of pace that it's not because of some magical curse but because of science that he becomes a werewolf. Also, I really liked the wolf make-up. It would be damn terrifying if this dude was coming toward you!

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  7. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

All Hallows' Eve BR
    Hallows' Eve BR
    The Houses That October Built BR

I really enjoyed the anthology film All Hallows' Eve. The wrap around story and all three stories were fun especially the last story. That killer clown was creepy as well. For a low budget film the gore and make up effects were done quite nicely. Overall, a nice little Halloween film that gets you in the mood. I can't say the same for Hallows' Eve though. A very boring, uninspired slasher that stars Danielle Harris. Tiffany Shepis also appears in the film but with little screen time which is a shame because she was quite good in those brief scenes. The film takes place at a Halloween haunted house attraction where a group of twenty somethings (although most of them look way into their thirties) get killed for something they did when they were kids. A by the numbers revenge slasher that is easily forgettable. I decided to end the night with the similarly themed The Houses That October Built. This is a found footage film about a group of friends who take a road trip to try and find the most extreme haunted house attraction. They start to find clues about an underground attraction that promises to be exactly what they're looking for. Unfortunately when they do find it, they realize that they are way in over their heads. Originally shot as a documentary film, turning it into a Horror film was definitely a good premise and to some extent the film delivers. I liked how it included the interviews with the owners, the workers and the people going to these attractions. This is one of the better found footage films out there in my opinion and one I will revisit in the future.

Kim Bruun and maskull like this.
  8. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

October 3
    [​IMG]
    Lifeforce (1985)

DVD-fanatic-9, Rocker10 and maskull like this.
  9. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 3

Turned into Alfred Hitchcock day. Couple of films. As a side note that Masterpiece collection is awesome but has the worst packaging. Not quite sure what to do with it as it's starting to fall apart.

1. Rear Window (1954) - Classic film. Loved the setting, and good suspense.

2. Rope (1948) -Another good Hitchcock film.

maskull likes this.
  10. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

I have both of those Scream Factory collections. Used a couple of those films in last years marathon. Probably do the same here soon.

11. maskull

[​IMG]

Movie #17: Lone Wolf (1988)

40 year olds playing high school students, big hair, horrible knock off hair metal music, 80's computer technology, and somewhere in there is a werewolf ripping people's organs out and slashing the crap out of them. I like that there was actually a transformation scene with actual fx rather than the time lapse trick, it's not believable at all but at least they tried and it's kind of charming for it. Decent amount of gore, especially near the end. I'm pretty happy with this one. It's pretty bad, but in the best way possible.

12. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

Let's get it started!!!
    1. Area 51
    -This was a bit of a cheat, as I had to watch it on September 30th as it was expiring after a quick run on both Netflix and Amazon Prime (I hope this is not a trend of steaming movies for only a month or so before losing them!). Anyway, I greatly enjoyed this..it appears I am in the minority from the other reviews I saw on Netflix, but I admit I am a sucker for found footage movies. It was tense and scary at times despite some stretches in logic as to how the main characters snuck into the Area 51 base. Some solid scares, although the ending could have been better. 7/10.
    2. Ejecta
    - Another Netflix special and a rare IFC fail for me. I went with another alien flick for the second choice of the month and this one let me down. I think the main drawback was the absolutely horrific performance from the only woman in this movie. She was ridiculously poor and ruined the whole movie for me. Also the only alien in this is not all that convincing or scary. 3/10.
    3. Amityville 2:The Possession
    - I haven't seen this one in years, and was happy to see that it mostly lived up to my memories of a solid sequel that outdid the frankly somewhat weak original. Diane Franklin is gorgeous here, and there is more entertaining effects than I recalled including several bladder effects that made me momentarily mistake this for The Beast Within at moments. The extra interviews were also excellent. 8/10.
    4. Wrong Turn 5
    -This series has definitely been hit or miss, with an outstanding first entry, good second, horrible third, and a return to solid form for the fourth. This one was a bit of a regression for me. It did have some excellent kills after a terrible early one with a cop that featured the weak digital stuff that scarred the third entry. However, after that most of the rest looked to be practical. The makeups on the mutants are not all that strong, however. Doug Bradley helps the proceedings as a new leader for the hillbillies, but the whole thing feels cheap. The grand festival that the movie centers around is never actually shown, and the majority of the events are in a sheriff's office or on an obvious backlot set. I wasn't booing by the end, but it was a marked step downward after the last promising entry. At least the majority of the FX were solid. 5/10.

crikan and maskull like this.
  13. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

Started the month with some werewolf mayhem.
    Oct 1st-

The Howling-Such a great film. Still one of my favorite werewolf films.
    Howling II-Just crazy and fun! The extras on the Blu-ray are just as fun as the film.
    Howling III-Don't really like this one. I do admire it for being way different though.

Oct 2nd-

Howling IV-Has not gotten any better. Contemplated house cleaning during it.
    Howling V-Not great, but a fine time waster.

DVD-fanatic-9 and maskull like this.
  14. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

I actually remember enjoying Howling 4 and 5 as the best of the sequels-I will have to revisit this month and see if they hold up to memory though!

15. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Took my mom to the emergency room tonight. It's all fine but the girl uncontrollably vomiting into a Tupperware bowl in the waiting room is horror enough for tonight, I'm afraid.

16. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Oct. 1st

Lost After Dark (2014)-I haven't seen this one before. Kind of a dud with a generic backstory and lame killer. The kills were decent though.
    The People Under the Stairs (1991)-My 3rd favorite Wes Craven film. Quirky, weird and loads of fun. Wendy Robie and Everett McGill steal the show.
    The Frighteners (1996)-I've always been fond of this one. The CGI is dated for the most part but it's still a fun time due to its cast and humor.
    TerrorVision (1986)-Watched the VHS of this so many times as a kid. Scream Factory's DF Blu is a blessing. So much fun
    The Video Dead (1987)-Ditto with above.
    Neon Maniacs (1986)-Flawed but fun monster flick. Always dug this one. Code Red's blu looks great!

Oct. 2nd

Bride of Re-Animator (1989)-Underrated sequel to the 1985 classic. The special effects work is amazing. German blu blows the old DVD out of the water!
    The Nest (1988)-Entertaining creature feature by the legendary Roger Corman. The effects work is top notch. Afraid of roaches? Avoid!
    Night of the Creeps (1986)-Fred Dekker's horror/sci-fi cult flick was a favorite of mine growing up. Still holds up as a good time!
    Call Girl of Cthulhu (2014)-Chris LaMartina keeps impressing me with each film he directs. One of my favorites of last year. Highly recommended!

Oct. 3rd

Saw (2004)-Huge Saw fan and despite some iffy acting the orignal film still packs a punch, especially with that twist ending.
    Saw II (2005)-Darren Lynn Bousman directs this sequel to the James Wan hit. Great sequel with an even better twist ending. Watching the rest soon.
    Demons (1985)-Huge Demons fan. Impressive special effects and great soundtrack. Blu looks amazing.
    Demons 2 (1986)-See above.
    Intruder (1989)-Fun slasher with some great kills (solid work by KNB) and some interesting camera angles.

maskull likes this.
  17. maskull

Yeah I remember liking these two quite a bit. I didn't watch them that long ago so I'm assuming that I still feel the same way. Maybe I'll do a re-watch later this month to find out.

18. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 3RD:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Gore Lunatic likes this.
  19. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

October 3rd

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Zombi (Zombi 2) 1979

I actually taped this off of El Rey Network and was the first time I've ever seen it (El Rey is unedited just have to fast forward through commercials)
    I found this to be a fun movie and enjoyed it. 3.5 out of 5

Surprisingly when I saw The Beyond a few years ago I was not that impressed with it - maybe I was expecting too much. I enjoyed this one more but I need to give The Beyond another viewing at some point to see if I enjoy it more the second time. I didn't find it awful - it just wasn't as good as I thought it would be - but it was also my first time viewing a Fulci film.

I have City of the Living Dead taped as well so hope to see that soon. I actually vaguely remember seeing some of House by the Cemetary when I was 10 - and thought what I saw was cool - but I can remember so little of it I really want to revisit it as well.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    DVD-fanatic-9 and maskull like this.