The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread - 2015 Edition!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2015.

1. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

[​IMG]

Movie #18: Web of the Spider (1971)

When a movie starts out with Klaus Kinski playing Edgar Allan Poe, you naturally assume it's going to be good...then Kinski disappears for the whole movie and only shows up again at the end. Bah!

An American writer is bet that he won't spend the night in a haunted castle...and survive! Sounds like a cool movie, but apart from a bit at the beginning with the writer wandering around by himself in an actually creepy location, the rest of the movie turns into a period piece ghost story with lots of bland exposition, really bad dialog, no scares and no blood. We do get beautiful Michèle Mercier and Karin Field showing up but that really wasn't enough to keep me interested in the story.

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  2. maskull

[​IMG]

Movie #19: Messiah of Evil (1973)

At times it felt like some hippy's acid trip and at others it felt like something I'd experience in a nightmare. It didn't completely make sense but it doesn't really matter.

3. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Dark angel last night, willow creek tonight.

4. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

Given his usual on set behavior, could very well be that was all the amount of time the director, cast, and crew could tolerate with him.

Kinski is top of my list of film names that I'm fascinated with their work yet feel ashamed to enjoy watching it because of his personal history.

Only got an average rating for me, when I viewed it long ago. I think the only reason I still own it is because its on a double disk set with Devil's Nightmare, which I found a decent film.

5. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Not a fan of willow creek, thought it was boring, let's hope my next film 'wither' is better.

6. maskull

[​IMG]

Movie #20: Cannibal Terror (1980)

The French decide to get in on the cannibal movie craze and boy do they do a crappy job! This is one of those movies that is so incredibly badly made that it's hard not to laugh at and even maybe enjoy on some level.

-The cannibals are mostly white dudes with squiggles painted on their faces.
    -There's people wearing jeans and golf shirts standing in the background, watching the vicious tribe do their vicious tribal dance.
    -There's a truck driving by on a road in the background in the middle of the deep, dark jungle.
    -a woman decides to have a bath in the middle of the day, bascially out in the open and then gets chased, tied to a tree and raped.
    -The rape victim's husband is obviously supposed to lift her to carry her home after he's untied her but can't do it and almost falls over.
    -The filmmakers obviously stopped at the local butcher to get some pig carcasses so the cannibals would have something to rip apart. The weird thing is that they put jeans on one of the pigs.
    -A guy gets shot by an arrow and you can clearly see him holding it under his armpit.
    -There seems to only be one woman in the entire tribe.
    -The trails through the jungle are immaculately groomed.
    -That's someone's house in the background.

etc., etc., etc. It's just bad.

7. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

October 4th

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gore Lunatic, Angelman and Rocker10 like this.
  8. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 4TH:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Rocker10 likes this.
  9. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 4th
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7) Devil’s Backbone Texas: This wasn't nearly as bad as the score on Netflix says it is, but this is by no means a great film either. “Devil’s Backbone Texas” is one part found footage and one part faux documentary, filled with interviews that are spliced up between the friends visiting said cursed land in Texas. The faux documentary aspect was way more interesting than the found footage parts, which are boring and lack any sort of scares or tension or worthwhile story telling. And just when you think the film is going one way, they pull a “Blair Witch” with the ending which was absolutely terrible. Descent at best. (5/10)

8) The Mirror: Way better than I expected. Although this film owes a lot to “Blair Witch Project’ and “Paranormal Activity” it still holds its own as a solid found footage film. There are several very tense and creepy moments that kept me on the edge of my seat and some really fantastic scenes using a Go Pro. My suspension of disbelief was broken, somewhat, towards the end because
    they never once think to call the police once their friend disappears for days on end,
    but I still had fun watching it. (7/10)

9) Unfriended: I’ve been interested in watching this one since I first saw the teaser trailer when the film debuted at SXSW last year. I can’t say it lived up to my expectations, but it was still a good bit of fun. The one thing this film does flawlessly is keeping the authenticity when convincing you it all takes place on a laptop. Everything from the crappy audio/video quality and random glitches kept me engaged. What really hurts this one is the lack of any likeable characters. Sure, this is a story of an avenging spirit, but its hard to keep the tension when I can’t wait for all these terrible little shits to die. Pile on the stupid and laughable death sequences and you’re left with a so-so film. (6/10)

10) Creep: The Duplass Brothers have been very hit or miss when it comes to the film they have attached them to, so I can’t say I was dying to see this, but all the good buzz had me interested. After watching I have to say I really enjoyed this one. An interesting spin on the found footage genre that is completely grounded in reality, giving you that uncomfortable feeling that something like this is really plausible. What turned me off a bit was the last act of the movie not taking place at the cabin retreat. Personally I would have kept the entirety of the film’s runtime inside the cabin, but that is the only thing that I would change about this one. A solid effort and worthwhile. (7.5/10)

Rocker10 and maskull like this.
  10. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 4

Just 1 today. Enjoying the thread as looking at the comments and what everyone else is watching gives you some tips on possible stuff you may have never considered. Keep 'em coming!

1. Frenzy (1972) - In some ways dark, but loved the humor of Mrs. Oxford's cooking. Had you looking forward to these scenes. Another Hitchcock masterpiece!

maskull and Angelman like this.
  11. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Love that movie! That scene is one of my favorites.

12. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

10/4 Eaten Alive (Arrow Blu)

I'm pretty sure I liked it... But I feel like I need to see it again. What an odd one. It felt stagey, very broad obvious lighting and smoke machines... used a lot of zooms and panning where stedicsm or dolly track should have been used. Felt like a horror version of a "slice of life" story. All about atmosphere over story and by that measure it succeeds. Worth my 90 mins and one I'll be revisiting. Arrow's disc is gorgeous.

satans-sadists and maskull like this.
  13. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

Hit a run of mostly solid films, only one in my opinion awe inspiringly great, but all examples of what makes the October grind something to look forward to all year.

The micro reviews are listed by the date I viewed them. Year released and alternate titles are included in parenthesis. The reviews include spoilers, so take warning. Ratings are out of four stars (****).

10/1/15 - Nails (Gvozdi, 2003) **1/2
    In the low budget Russian art house film Nails, Andrey Iskanov tries his hand at Shin'ya Tsukamoto and early David Lynch. While not as deft or imaginative (or as manic as Shin'ya Tsukamoto), the result is a visual and auditory carnival.

A nameless hitman is wracked by piercing headaches and haunted by visions of past victims, and in the grips of such an episode stumbles upon a novel solution - trepanation. Merciful calm is his reward for pounding a nail in his own head, along with an altered perception of the world. But the suffering is soon back, his efforts to cope escalate, and what he was so desperate to let out might have let something worse in.

Even a decade ago this style of surreal shock cinema wasn't new, and Nails didn't break much new ground other than possibly its fixation on the subject of perforating one's skull. And some of its tricks are old, even if applied with novel effect - such as the film switching from black and white to color when the hitman's view of the world changes. But it executes the style well, splashing sound and splattering imagery and bending perception, making up with sincere bravado its low budget and lack of production experience. Perhaps most importantly, the director doesn't try to wring more out of his limited concept than it can hold, keeping the running time at a curt 60 minutes.

10/2/15 - With a Friend Like Harry (2000) ***
    This film is built on an overused but highly effective premise, a fear from deep in our social animal psychology. The ingratiating stranger who insinuates themselves into your life, professes friendship, becomes a dependence, and finally upends all you care for into chaos. The motivations vary - revenge for a forgotten wrong, a doppelganger’s ploy, or sycophantic attachment - but the result is the same.

With a Friend Like Harry plays a more subtle tune than most of its type, with the villain being clearly off in his behavior from the outset but never escalating to ranting psychosis. Here, his actions are calm yet unhesitant, often openly displayed, as if he views them all as perfectly logical and reasonable no matter how extreme. Actions which are sincerely benevolent in their motivation, even as they shred their benefactor's confidence and shake his rationality. The film's nonchalant approach, combined with its abrupt bluntness in escalating the situation to each new level, is supremely chilling. The inevitable violent confrontation of patron and benefactor is so subdued in its resolution that it shocks more than the genre trope of psychotic rampage and drag out fight.

10/3/15 - Eyes Without a Face (1959) ***

Eyes without a face. Got no human grace. Your eyes without a face. Such a human waste. No, wait, Billy Idol has nothing to do with this movie.

Driven to restore his daughter's disfigured face, a surgeon cruelly mutilates and murders multiple women hoping a transplant will finally succeed. But his initially complicit daughter grows weary of her plight, and burdened by the suffering it is causing others decides on another course of action.

Considered a landmark of the classic era of horror, and for good reasons.

Each of the main characters is rivetingly chilling in their portrayal. In dispatching each victim the father is callously fixated on his goal, only allowing himself to consider grief when he suspects success has been achieved, and feeling despair as much for his wounded pride as his daughter's plight when he fails. His assistant, bound by her own restoration at the surgeon's hands, serves as the stalking abductor to secure his series of victims - a novel gender twist for the era. The daughter, hidden behind a serene but lifeless mask (the black and white film enhancing its eeriness), is hesitant to decide whether compassion or self-pity will dictate her fate. When she does, the result is a bleakly gothic and surreal resolution to everyone’s fate.

The film shocks on several levels, sometimes direct, sometimes incongruous, sometimes subtle. One example is the freakishly inappropriate carnival style music that plays each time the assistant goes on the prowl for another pretty victim, which combined with the scene framing give those sequences an askew sense of reality. Another is the surgery and its rejection aftermath, which are gruesomely graphic for the film's era. Then there is the heartless coercion by the police of a shoplifter to act as bait, with their bumbling lack of suspicion making their follow-up on her disappearance so leisurely they practically hand her to the killer. Overall it is an expertly executed and disturbing experience that leaves you feeling a bit like your own skin was cut open and left raw, wounds left without closure.

10/3/15 - The Brotherhood of Satan (1971) ***
    Opening with a fantastical sequence of a child's toy tank crushing a family's car and its occupants, this film wastes no time with preliminaries. Shortly after we're introduced to the protagonists, vacationing family to be of widower father, his daughter, and his fiance. Spending more time on scenes of desert highway than character development the three quickly discover the wreck and stop to report it in a strange town where everyone is cowering indoors. The local law quickly accost them, then expecting release the residents swarm as a mob in jubilant relief that turns to violence, causing the family to flee in confused terror. An accident soon halts their flight, and ignoring common sense they return to the madness wracked town. A town where the geezers have found a dark alternative to bingo night, the children are vanishing in the night, and everyone else is ending up dead.

The film's cast is a competent bunch, but the great character actor Strother Martin dominates the proceedings with mania tinged evil as the coven leader, closing the geriatric social club's pleasantries to heel to their compact of diabolical servitude.

This film is unusual in its minimalist setup, its exposition scarce swift progress, and absence of subtlety. The viewer is dropped cold into the proceedings and never given a chance to catch up. And strange proceedings they are, most scenes an exhibition of bizarre events, disturbed behavior, or hallucinatory images. Closing with a weird slant on the classic 70s satanic film conclusion, this film delivers freaky from start to finish, keeping the viewer reacting "what the hell" too often to fixate on the film's several flaws.

10/4/15 - Lizard In A Woman's Skin (1971) **1/2

Eric Cartman was right. Hippies are evil.

A wealthy politician's wife has seductive and distressing dreams of her socialite next door neighbor. The dreams turn to murder, a murder that becomes reality when the socialite is discovered dead in her apartment, the circumstances identical to the dream. Does the dream indicate guilt, or is it a frame?

I'm not the biggest fan of giallo. The genre's penchant for the gory, the grotesque, the macabre I enjoy. The cascade of colors, erotic acts, eccentric characters, and brutal slaughter is enthralling. It’s the tendency to gleefully chuck logic out the window in trite attempts to be clever I have little stomach for. But in Lizard In A Woman’s Skin things stay fairly coherent, logic wise, even as over the top imagery parades on the screen.

Focus bounces between a crowd of suspects in the movie - the scheming father, the willful daughter, the adulterous husband, the menacing hippies. Normal isn't a trait for any character with screen time - even side characters are just plain off. From the psychobabble spouting shrink who probably does the protagonist more harm than good, the socially inept forensics analyst, and the lead detective who should be named Inspector Whistle for his extremely annoying and inappropriate (as a social habit or film ploy) whistling with contemptuous disregard of others who are talking. And the scenery, of course, is larger than life, frequently taking advantage of architecture only old Europe can provide. All standard fair for giallo, aspects that assure viewing may sometimes be tasking but is never dull.

10/4/15 - The Cremator (1968) ***1/2
    The villain in most horror films is often a raving lunatic, manically evil, diabolically scheming, or totally unemotional. The truly horrifying villains are those who eagerly engage in evil acts totally unaware they are being evil. Those who are so reptilian, so slimy, that you feel compelled to wash your hands after touching the television remote.

In The Cremator, the title character is a man without conscience during the rise of Nazi power in Czechoslovakia. A man who believes himself of strong principles yet has no set ideals other than a fixation with cremation, who truly embraces whatever philosophy social pressure dictates or that opens opportunity for his baser urges, even at the cost of family and friends. A man whose habits are a touch deranged, behavior appearing as eccentric social graces to public groups but repellent to those in his private presence.

This is a man who invites community members to dinner and an orchestra, only for them to find out the orchestra is a four man band, dinner is on the cheap, and their presence is as audience to a sales pitch for cremation. A man who unselfconsciously intrudes on others personal space, putting out their cigars, inappropriately touching them during conversation. Who casually combs a corpses hair, and then his own with the same comb - and latter performs the same sequence with his son. Who finds far more beauty and joy in death, in fabrications, in imitations, than in the real and the living. Who channels Hitler's oration when giving the eulogy at his own wife's funeral. Who fantasizes himself as the next reincarnation of the Dalai Lama, destined for leadership in Tibet, while embracing a horrifying role more directly suited to his career experience.

The film uses hints of expressionist style, such as quick close ups, slightly askew film angles or lens focus, or presence of incongruous items in the background. One of the more effective methods is in scene transition, where the main character conducts an action wholly unsuited for the current setting, and as the scene switches completes the action in a new environ where it makes sense. It all gives a sense of surreal while remaining firmly grounded in the real history horror of the premise. Lastly is the casting - one is instantly reminded of the great Peter Lorre in the main actors toad like appearance, suave creepiness, and masterful acting. When this film ended, I felt a bit as if someone had tossed my soul into a dark pit, so effective it was a vision of unrestrained detached evil.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    Rocker10 likes this.
  14. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

Pumpkinhead BR
    Night Of The Scarecrow BR
    Jeepers Creepers BR

A creepy old lady, a scary pumpkin patch and a cool looking creature makes for great viewing this time of year. The Stan Winston (R.I.P.) film Pumpkinhead has always been a favorite of mine since I first saw it as a kid. A well made Horror film with great atmosphere and awesome creature effects. Lance Henriksen plays a father who seeks revenge after his son is accidentally killed by a bunch of teens and with the help of an old witch, conjures up the "Pumpkinhead" to snuff'em out. While that may sound pretty straight forward, there's a moral to the story here which I like and separates this from other creature features. Little Sam from Trick 'r Treat is all grown up and ready to do some serious damage in Night Of The Scarecrow. Just kidding about Sam but seriously, that's all I could think of while I was watching this film. The killer scarecrow looks like a grown up Sam or a big brother of his. A very 90's Horror film about an ancient evil that gets awakened in a small town and begins to take revenge on everyone. As to what the scarecrow is taking revenge for, I have no clue. He just starts killing shit after his grave gets cracked open. There's some decent kills here and the film itself is shot nicely so this is worth a view. The Bluray looks fantastic by the way. Ended the night with another favorite creature feature of mine, Jeepers Creepers. I always liked the chemistry of the two leads and the creature looks downright badass. Two siblings traveling home on a country road are terrorized by a diabolical maniac driving a truck. They later discover what the driver of that truck has been doing and become his next targets. While I found the story to be pretty straight forward, the action starts off real early into the film and keeps you entertained till the end.

Rocker10, Kim Bruun and maskull like this.
  15. maskull

I don't know what it is about this movie but this one always makes my stomach feel a little queasy...and not because of the nails to the head. More because of the stuff he has in the containers.

16. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The Blob (1958) **

I try to watch older films with an open mind and think about the times in which they were made. That said, I don't get the love for this film. First off, the Blob gets very little screen time, leaving the bulk of the film dedicated to teenagers trying to sound the warning bells. That wouldn't be a problem but these teenagers look like they are in their 30's and are nauseatingly wholesome. I could not get past a very mature looking Steve McQueen (27 years old at the time) doing his best Wally Cleaver impression. His love interest and group of friends weren't believable either. The adults are beyond stupid in this film as well. I could have looked past most of this had there been any thrills, but the final minutes are lame. The only thing I enjoyed was the late night monster movie stuff and the cars. The colors pop nicely on Criterion’s BD.

[​IMG]

The Stuff (1985) 4/10 **

I respect THE STUFF's anti-consumerism message and there are some interesting characters in the film. Unfortunately, it wasn’t funny enough, dark enough, or sleazy enough to hold my attention. There are a couple of cool effects but most of them are terrible. The dog attacking Danny Aiello was very bad. I wish I would have watched this with my son, it's not very scary or violent. Arrow UK’s BD has a 50 minute featurette that was interesting enough. Cohen seems like a fascinating guy, lead actress Andrea Marcovicci is sweet and Kim Newman gives some interesting insight. It’s a shame Cohen didn’t hold onto the commercials that were shot but didn’t make it into the film.

[​IMG]

Beware! The Blob (1972) 7/10 **

Consistently wacky and entertaining. Some recognizable faces like Sig Haig, Burgess Meredith, and Dick Van Pattan have small but memorable roles. The film manages to be absurd and bizarre without being obnoxious. Its smart that the lead actress takes everything so seriously while most the people around her are batshit insane. Without that, the film might have been too silly.

Rocker10, maskull and Kim Bruun like this.
  17. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I like you guys that are watching more obscure older and independent movies, and commenting on them (not just "I watched Halloween 1 and 2"). Gives me lots of suggestions for my own October viewing

Rocker10 likes this.
  18. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Oct. 4:

Blood Diner (1987)-Hilarious comedy/horror flick. Lots of gore.
    Squirm (1976)-Pretty good creature feature. SF's blu looks great.
    Sleepaway Camp (1983)-One of my top slasher flicks. The ending still packs a punch. SF's blu looks amazing except for one shot.
    I Spit on your Grave III (2015)-Pretty good continuation of the 2010 remake. Final 15 minutes are a mess though.
    Sleepaway Camp II: Unhappy Campers (1988)-Campy sequel to the 1983 slasher flick. A lot of fun despite running out of steam towards the end. Good kills.

Rocker10 and maskull like this.
  19. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

October 5th:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Splatter University: I can usually find something to enjoy in just about every slasher movie, but this flat effort made me long for such glossy, technically accomplished entries as Graduation Day and Final Exam. There is no suspenseful build-up to the kills, and they often silly. One victim is fatally slashed across the forehead, for instance. Things pick up a bit for the final chase, but we're not talking Wendy in Prom Night or Laurie and Halloween / Halloween II. The 88 Films Blu-ray has a soft, de-saturated look to it.

Grizzly: Now we're talking! I watched the unfiltered version on the Scorpion Blu-ray, and I don't get Walter's reservations at all. Detail is good, specks are minimal, and even the night scenes don't look bad on my tv. As for the movie, it definitely benefits from this presentation. I enjoyed it. The locations are beautiful, Prine and George are always watchable, the kills are nicely spread throughout, and Girdler even manages a few moderate scares (best scene: the attack on the two female campers).

20. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 5th
    [​IMG][​IMG]

11) Open Windows: I’m really torn on this one. On the one hand you have director Nacho Vilgadano, who I’ve loved since he directed “Time Crimes” and on the other hand you have this awful script. The visual style really shines through here and the performances were all very good. But my suspension of disbelief ended once the absurd third act come around. There is one too many “Got’cha” moments that made no sense and an ending that only complicated things further. Descent but highly flawed. (5/10)

12) Alone With Her: A middle of the road, voyeur crime thriller. This film did a few years before the found footage craze but this failed to capture the essence of what makes found footage work. The story did keep me interested enough but it was so tame that it felt more like a made for tv movie than anything else. (5/10)

crikan, Rocker10 and maskull like this.