The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread - 2015 Edition!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2015.

1. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

WitchTrap (1989)
    Since I do not believe this ever had a dvd release I bought a dvd-r from ioffer which is just a rip of the vhs. I am surprised this shows it came out after Night of the Demons and Witchboard - since both of those were superior to this movie by quite a bit. It seemed the budget must have been much lower for this. The acting was bad and the script was awful- but it also adds to the charm and humor. You will see some familiar faces from those previous movies in this one. Kinda hard to rate this since it was pretty bad and the vhs quality didn't help matters - but I still enjoyed it. Linnea Quigley helped make it more enjoyable as well.
    2 out of 5

maskull likes this.
  2. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

[​IMG]

Movie #22: Tremors 5: Bloodlines (2015)

"Burt Gummer in Africa"

Surprisingly, it managed to feel like part of the Tremors universe while simultaneously "upgrading" the monsters for a new generation to make them more bad ass. I will say that I like the new ass-blasters more with the new design. Jamie Kennedy was often annoying but not all the time, so that's pretty good for him. Nice that Michael Gross is still involved and is still a bit of a butt-kicker. Not a great Tremors movie, but definitely not the worst of the series.

3. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Short update, as the reviews are more wordy than usual. Just felt the need to say more, about one film that just didn't work and should have, and one that did and shouldn't have.

The micro reviews are listed by the date I viewed them. Year released and alternate titles are included in parenthesis. The reviews include spoilers, so take warning. Ratings are out of four stars (****).

10/5/15 - We Are What We Are (2010) **
    A middle aged man, clearly dazed and ailing, collapses and dies on the sidewalk of an outdoor mall in Mexico. Quickly setting the tone of the film, it isn't paramedics that rush to the scene, but janitors. Two to haul the body away, and one to mop up the blood, completing their task in mere seconds so that shoppers can carelessly walk over the spot scant seconds later.

Ends up the dead man had responsibilities - a dysfunctional family of social misfits with little money, fewer clues, and an appetite a trip to the local carnicería can't satisfy. With papa gone, the family strikes out to provide for themselves, but botches each attempt with an absurd lack of planning, tact, cooperation, and inconspicuousness.

As their brazen deeds gain notice, the police get involved - proving themselves to be the only ones in the city more inept than the killers, with their corruption and bumbling incompetence doing more to add themselves to the body count than to stop the carnage.

The film starts out interesting enough, with the family members quickly establishing their dysfunction by getting their father's meager business at an open market shut down by pissing off customers and landlords alike. And a deft scene in a morgue has the mortician, having discovered a finger in dear departed daddy's guts, trying to get the police involved. First the police declare the case closed, the killer is obviously already dead. When asked to find out who he killed, they reply "We don't solve old cases. What's more, we don't solve new ones either."

However the festivities quickly get old, fast. The family's self-destructive bickering and lack of communication, combined with the predatory skills of a headless chicken, shreds both sympathy for and fear of them. The absurdity of their actions fast becomes tedious rather than engaging, generating neither tension nor terror nor comedy (I was continuously baffled on exactly what the films intention was. To be a comedy? A thriller? A satire? A cannibal shlock fest? It didn't hit ANY of those marks, or any other I could think of). Supposedly the family has a hard deadline to "complete their ritual", the certainty to do so repeatedly pissed away by strife and mishap, else bad things will happen. This deadline collides with the closing in by the police in what could have been a thrilling climax. But that, too, becomes a muddled mess, and the deadline seemingly without consequence or explanation.

Put frankly, this isn't a film I can recommend. It grudgingly gets a pair of stars, likely to be downgraded latter, for the inadequate bits of gore it does have, initially amusing stereotypes about Mexican cops, and a parting message to not piss off Mexican hookers. But the film is a mess, its script sloppy, tossing around material for a variety of different film types and establishing itself as none of them.

10/6/15 - What We Do in the Shadows (2015) ***1/2
    If vampire movies have been done to death, then vampire comedies are as fresh as a cadaver. And horror villains as the comedic target in television interview or "life of" exposé parodies is a concept dating back decades. So from the concept alone What We Do in the Shadows has an uphill battle to make its mark as something funny and distinctive.

Turns out the film acquits itself quite admirably, with clever humor not just about vampire lore and vampires dealing with modern life, but general social and relationship absurdities.

Four vampires sharing a rundown house in New Zealand open up their lives to a documentary video crew. Timid and fussy Viago provides the introduction, channeling Andy Kaufman as Latka Gravas in accent and wide eyed grins. Slovenly Deacon is literally still in the closet, hasn't done the dishes in five years, and brags about changing into a dog to have sex (partner species left to the imagination). Partially sentient Petyr is a rodent faced nosferatu, so feral the post wake up calming routine requires a live chicken. Last is outwardly suave but inwardly insecure Vladislav, old school Transylvania by claim and traditions but looking like a member of a hard rock band. Together they put an undead slant on typical roommate issues, of living with the only people who would have you.

The jokes about the special ways the blood sucking undead would deal with modern life are rapid fire and mostly spot on. From floating around to reach hard to dust areas, needing a dentist that works nights, putting newspaper down on a date to avoid making a bloody mess, to resorting to public transit to go out for a night on the town.

Old school movie mythologies, as well as new ones, are skewered twenty first century style. Cruising the town our fun seekers look so out of place they can't get past any nightclub doorman, and fall back on the vampire club that is figuratively as well as literally dead. When enticing victims to open their doors, their power of hypnosis is no match for television or the internet. Having learned of the internet, doing their "dark bidding" soon involves eBay. And a passing meeting with werewolf rivals degenerates into hurling insults, with a proposal they go smell their own crotches and tricking them into chasing an imaginary stick.

Dialog is witty and often quotable. When commenting on their preference for virgin victims, the answer is "If you're going to eat a sandwich, you would just enjoy it more if you knew no one had fucked it."

There is ingenious play on the documentary format's traditional (mis)use of the fourth wall. In one instance, a soon to be victim runs through the house looking for an exit, callously chased by the film crew intent only on capturing every moment before and during the slaughter. The victim addresses the camera directly, first to complain about how he is ticked off and creeped out, then escalating to fear as things get nasty. But not once does he ever do the obvious of asking the camera crew for help. In a horror film pretending to be a documentary this would be an unrecoverable shattering of belief - in a mockumentary its brilliantly hilarious.

Some of the jokes fall flat, sometimes the pacing lags - but very rarely. And when they do, it seems intentional, as if being authentic to the format requires such moments, that the concept of being a documentary would ring hollow if some of the material didn't hit with an awkward thud. But the film is a barrel of laughs, and while for me there was never any piss yourself laughing uncontrollably moments, I was giddily amused by the time credits rolled.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  4. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

October 6th

[​IMG]

5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

It got a bluray release overseas I believe.

othervoice1 likes this.
  6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Aka Tormented in the US. It was acquired by the same company who released that home invasion movie Torment with Katherine Isabelle and it looks like they were trying to pass it off as a sequel. I imagine most people would get confused and think it's the same exact movie. I got the DVD from Hastings a few months back.

7. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

October 5th-

God Told Me To- Larry Cohen films are always a fun crazy trip, this one maybe one of his craziest.

October 6th-

Watched the first season of Tales From The Crypt. I can't believe it was way back in 1989 when I watched them on HBO. A short season, but really great.

Nomads-Had never seen this one before. Always remember the poster from the video stores. Really stylish with some interesting ideas.

maskull likes this.
  8. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Oct. 6th:

Slumber Party Massacre II (1987)-If you couldn't tell by my avatar I love this movie.
    Queen Crab (2015)-Shoddy acting and I hate the digital video look but I loved all the stop motion stuff. Fun.
    Nightmare Weekend (1986)-Completely batshit bonkers horror trash. VS's blu looks great.
    Slumber Party Massacre III (1990)-Much darker sequel. Not as "good" as the first two but has some nasty drill kills.

maskull and gyhorrorfan07 like this.
  9. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

October 3rd: Cannibal Ferox Blu-Ray, including the Feature Length Documentary: The Rise and Fall of Italian Cannibal Horror Films

10. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

Yep, that's the version I have. CPT HOOK is correct in saying it's region free and has English audio. Good choice in grabbing it, comes in cool black Bluray case too.

Night Of The Demons BR
    Night Of The Demons 2 BR
    Hell Night VHS

A group of kids throw a party at an abandoned funeral home on Halloween night and invoke an evil entity by having a séance. Of course that's never a good thing because some of the kids get possessed by this demonic force and start killing shit. Always an 80's favorite of mine, Night Of The Demons is a fun gory romp that delivers on the Halloween atmosphere and the juicy bits. Bad acting and all. The same can't be said with it's sequel, Night Of The Demons 2. It basically has the same premise as the first film but just fails at delivering it. From the silly fighting nun, unlikable characters and unfunny jokes, this film just didn't do it for me. Not even with a Morbid Angel song in it too. I didn't want to end the night on a low note so I popped in Hell Night. Linda Blair stars as a college student who, along with other fraternity students, pledge to stay the night in an old mansion that has a very dark history. An excellent Horror film filled with great atmosphere, good kills (although not very bloody) and a creepy looking killer monster thingy.

maskull and Rocker10 like this.
  11. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The Wicker Man [Theatrical Cut] (2006) **

Holy Shit! This remake is like a fever dream of WTF. Like a car accident, what I witnessed was horrendous but I couldn't look away. Every character's performance is way over the top and utterly bizarre. I'm not sure there was one moment where someone acted as they would in the real world. Nicholas Cage is such an inspired choice for the lead. I just love him as a California motorcycle cop waiving his badge around on some bizarre island as if he's FBI. It also a riot when he snaps out of a hallucination only to then snap out of that hallucination. But possibly the best moment in bad movie history is Cage going Ray Rice on numerous Amish chicks while wearing a bear suit. I also found it amusing that the DVD is amazingly shitty by 2006 standards. The Unrated Cut is "Adjusted for your home viewing experience" Pan & Scan and both cuts suffer from heavy compression.

Are we to believe these women orchestrated the station wagon/semi wreck in the beginning of the film? And why do the women dick around with Cage for a few days? He came to the island of his own free will. I didn't catch the reason for all of the missing child drama other than to fill time.

I was shocked to find a commentary track with the director, cast and crew. I would have thought everyone involved would be embarrassed. I was even more shocked that they all took it so seriously as if they don't see how batshit crazy the film is. They all seem very pleased with the final product.

maskull, Kim Bruun and MorallySound like this.
  12. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Oct.6
    [​IMG]
    Cujo
    (1983) - Blu-ray (Rewatch)
    When their relationship hits a rough patch, Donna (Dee Wallace) and Vic (Daniel Hugh-Kelly) take a short separation when Vic leaves to save a work account for his marketing company, which is also on the fritz. Also falling apart are the family cars, so Donna and their son Tad (Danny Pintauro) drive their not-so-great Pinto to a local mechanic who lives on a farm not too far out of their quaint Maine town. But when they arrive, the mechanic and his family are not home, the car's alternator goes, and they are stalked and attacked by a once-friendly-but-now-rabid St. Bernard named Cujo. Based on the Stephen King novel, director Lewis Teague (Alligator) keeps the terror tense and claustrophobic, as both Donna and Tad are trapped in the Pinto for a good chunk of the film, basically making it a siege film. The characters are all well fleshed out, and each's own personal fears and motivations add layers that makes all the horror experienced hit that much harder. Despite the safe Hollywood ending as opposed to the more depressing and downbeat, but better ending of the book, Cujo is still a very well directed, written, and executed thriller that's got plenty of bite and bark! Rating: 3.5/5

[​IMG]
    Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers
    (1987) - Blu-ray (Rewatch)
    Fred Olen Ray's Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers follows a private dick on the trailer of a missing girl whom stumbles into more dames then he can handle, who also happen to wield chainsaws and are involved in a weird Egyptian cult headed by Leatherface himself, Gunnar Hansen! This very low-budget throwback to the the days of noir with a good helping of '80s sleaze is definitely a mixed bag of parts, chock full of bad one-liners, nudity, watered down blood, cheap office-room sets, and sexist remarks, but ultimately falls flat. Poor pacing, bad acting and line delivery, and some lacking chainsaw horror leave a lot to be desired in this one, and it didn't nearly hold up as well on repeat viewings. Not even Linnea Quigley or Michelle Bauer can save this one. Rating: 2/5

[​IMG]

Venus Flytrap (1988) - Streaming on Exploitation.tv
    Three punks, who just robbed a record store, crash a yuppie party and then get more than they bargained for when things spiral out of control. Venus Flytrap is a fairly mean-spirited SOV flick that contains a few nasty set-pieces alongside its scathing-yet-dated cultural satire. Performances are all pretty hammy, which adds to its charm when it's fun, but it also crashes the party with its homophobic remarks that get old fast. Rating: 2/5

13. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    For me, there's gonna be a huge bevy of MADE FOR TV retro horror flicks on my agenda this month.
    Oct. 4: THIS HOUSE POSSESSED 1981 and DEADLY LESSONS 1983.
    Oct. 6: DON'T GO TO SLEEP 1982 and THE BABYSITTER 1982

Thanks to Youtube!

14. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

10/6 Spontaneous Combustion (1990)

More Tobe Hooper for me. It was better than expected, though not a good movie. If nothing else it was entertaining. At times it felt very cheap. My big takeaway is how did Tobe Hooper end up writing and directing THIS film? He felt so at home in that dirty Texas story-telling niche, the farther he strayed from that, the less compelling his work became for me. Brad Douriff's performance really elevated this, and is probably what is worth watching.

The Code Red Blu is good - not sure how much better this could look... there was some nifty camerawork from time to time, which made the more draggy parts at least visually compelling.

What was with the enormous neon-infused telephones?

maskull likes this.
  15. booper71

booper71 Lord of the Thighs.

Only ones I've never seen is my October theme.

The ReDeemer, parts of this inspired Halloween.

Let Sleeping Corpses Lie, surprisingly gory, elderly zombie eats an eyeball.

16. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

My film viewing has pretty much sucked this month due to personal obligations and a weekend trip to upstate NY, but got one in last night.

Black Sabbath (1963)-Only discovered this one recently oddly enough and it's definitely in my top three horror anthology films alongside Creepshow and Tales from the Crypt (1972).
    I like all three entries for different reasons; the erotically charged thriller aspect of 'The Telephone', the Hammer heavy gothic atmosphere of 'The Wurdulak', and the genuinely creepy and bone chilling 'The Drop of Water'. 'The Drop of Water' is a particularly effective revenge tale with a nightmare inducing antagonist. If I can level one criticism at this film it's maybe that 'The Wurdulak' could have used some skillful editing, it seems a little long at times. Boris Karloff is great in this, though I missed his traditionally deep, somber voice as the version I saw was dubbed into Italian. Solid film. 8/10.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    maskull likes this.
  17. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

18. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

_20151007_214139.JPG Tonight - The exorcism of Molly Hartley

19. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Well, my move is well underway, and on the plane to London I was FINALLY able to get in a few viewings:

Poltergeist (2015)

[​IMG]

Look, I know many people work to make a film reach viewers, and they pour their hearts and souls into their work, but this was unnecessary and disastrous. Sorry to everyone involved: this film takes no chances, drops opportunities very early on, and features a cast that stumbles through listlessly--especially Sam Rockwell, which was a surprise. Although, he didn't have much to work with, given that his character has one scene to display his problems with money management, only to never revisit said topic. And his character is up for Worst Father of 2015, because when his daughter disappears into the netherworld and reappears within their flat-screen TV, he suggests they not tell the police and instead seek out an amateur group of ghost hunters. His reason? "The police will think we did it." The film begins with a suggestion that our reliance on technology will be our undoing but then forgets this motif in favor of...not much else. No scares and a dismal plot had me reaching for the "call" button to request more scotch!

Thankfully:

An American Werewolf in London (1981)

[​IMG]

All right! I will need to check my past movie trackers because I remembered nothing of this (maybe I've only seen Paris?), and it surprised me with how good it still is, now 35 years removed. Loved that it didn't bother with finding a "cure"; that the lore was told via tribal knowledge; and it had an incredibly bleak and abrupt ending. Plus, those effects by Rick Baker! It was funny, moody, sexy, and gory. Glad I followed Angelman's suggestion and watched a thematic film for my move.

Terminator: Genisys
    (2015)

[​IMG]

I'm counting it, OK? o_O There's a helluva lot going on in this one and much of it worked for me. Sure, it's nowhere near the original or even the sequel, but I had a lot of fun with the above scene and the "twist" that was poorly spoiled in trailers. Clarke was a suitable Sarah Connor, and Arnie still has it--but the actor who played Reese was not at all convincing as a love interest for Sarah; he was too bland. The chase scenes were outstanding and the effects were a lot better than the first trailer suggested. Too bad, then, that there were about two too many terminators here. Did not need to revisit the T-1000 and would have preferred we see more Arnold v. Arnold action. All that said, I'm fine with the franchise ending here or rebooting. It's far too convoluted and needlessly so.

maskull likes this.
  20. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 7th
    [​IMG][​IMG]

15) The Blood Lands: I’m so jaded when it comes to slasher films now, mostly because so many modern ones are terrible, that I had zero expectations going in. Surprisingly this wasn't that bad. The film relies more on tension than gore or a high body count, and I quite enjoyed the 20 minute cat and mouse chase sequence between Pollyanna McIntosh and the killers. The downside is that the final act slows down a lot and the film ends on a flat note. Props for being different, but there isn't much here that I can say that makes this a classic. (6/10)

16) In Fear: Interesting enough to say the least. I couldn't shake the comparison between this and “Wolfcreek” and how it didn't quite live up to that film. There was a lot of potential here to exploit the tension and the drama around the couple being lost in the woods that was never capitalized on in order to put more focus on the blooded and banged up stranger they take along with them (who has insidious motives). A descent watch, but it could have used more psychological drama than anything else. (6/10)

maskull likes this.