The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread - 2016 Edition!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Pretty damn good, isn't it? As for Keating's other films that I've seen, I didn't care for Ritual, Pod showed promise, but Darling is fantastic. I too am looking forward to seeing more movies from him.

Hatchetwarrior and indrid13 like this.
  2. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

seed of chucky.jpg

I didn't care for this one the 1st time around, but this time I went in with greatly diminished expectations and found myself enjoying it quite a bit. Then again, I do love Jennifer Tilly, John Waters, and anything that kills Britney Spears.

maskull, indrid13 and Rocker10 like this.
  3. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 8

Had some other things I had to get done today, but I started early and got 4 in today. Monthly total at 27.

1. Salem's Lot (Blu) 1979 - Been a long time since I sat down with this one. This is one of the movies that helped shape my love for horror when I was younger. Didn't have a lot of access to films other than broadcast, so I would catch this one each time it was on. I thought the movie looked good on Blu and was worth the upgrade from DVD especially for the 8 bucks I spent on it.

2. Troll (Blu) 1986 - Never had seen this or the sequel. It was a blind buy from Scream Factory to support the cause. The movie was... well...goofy as hell. I like bad movies and this is definitely that.

3. Troll II (Blu) 1990 - This made the first one look like a masterpiece. Bad acting, cheap effects and just bad overall. When I feel the need for bottom of the barrel goofy shit, this will feel the need.

4. A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master (Blu) 1988 - Continuing my run through this series. Not too bad of a film, Quite a bit going on in this installment. Not my favorite of the series, but it was okay.

4. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 8TH:

112911-d1.jpg

indrid13 likes this.
  5. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

October 8th: FIREFLY FAMILY REUNION

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #8:
    Blood Diner (1987)
    First time viewing (Blu)
    ** (out of 5)

[​IMG]
    Movie #9:
    Phantasm: Ravager (2016)
    First time viewing (Theater)
    *** (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    8. Post-Apocalypse Day. Something with a future we can all look forward to.

satans-sadists and indrid13 like this.
  7. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

5. Twice Told Tales (Sidney Salkow, 1963) (4.5/5)

Although not quite as good as Corman's Tales of Terror, this is still a really great film. It's a little long, so the stories seem drawn out more than they need to be, which is probably the one thing that works against it. Price is excellent (as usual), and the film does a great job of creating an atmosphere of antiquity. I've tried to think of how I would rate the individual entries here, but honestly, I can't really do it. They're consistently well made, and all enjoyable.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

With 2016 presidential madness all around I decided to go with a H.P. Lovecraft theme this month spurred on by the inspirational Cthulhu For President 2016 Campaign. While it may seem a daunting task to decide what of the many inspired films to watch first, it was clear to me that the efforts of The H. P. Lovecraft Historical Society's film makers were the most appropriate entry point.

03 10/01 The Call of Cthulhu (2005)

The Call of Cthulhu, their first feature length effort, is an ambitious effort calling to mind all the best of Lovecraft's prose along with what made silent horror films so captivating. Instead of dwelling on our experiences with below average presentations of silents (wrong speed, old dupes, damaged films, random piano music, etc.) it called forth in the audiences mind that je ne sais quoi the good silent films have. They even pay fan service to the lip readers cinemas were once packed with (a lost art for film followers today).

Surprisingly though this movie seems to have more in common with King Kong than and of the horrors of the era it could ape. And because of that it ends up sharing a lot of visual similarities to Peter Jackson's King Kong released that same year; especially with the tribal elements. A fun film that mixes horror and adventure and madness all into one tight 45 minute package.

04 10/01 The Whisperer in Darkness (2011)
    The HPLHS's follow up film is as adaptation of perhaps one of my favorite Lovecraft shorts, a moody piece that unravels more like a film noir than a horror film. While it follows the original short story rather closely, elements of this calls back to Flash Gordon, a Universal serial, to give it a visual flair. It starts off rather slowly with a lot of concerted screen time regarding the lead character's radio debate over recent local sights of phenomena once found only in folklore. But when it finally works its way past this it slowly picks up speed and delivers once again on that fun mix of horror, adventure and Lovecraftian madness.

As I was organizing all these Lovecraft themed films together for October it became very clear how under represented Lovecraft and his fellow Weird Tales writers were on film in their own era. So the efforts of The H. P. Lovecraft Historical Society's film makers help set these tales in their original era as they probably would have been originally told; with the necessary application of modern film techniques. Truly doing Cthulhu's work.

9. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

This one I was very impressed with, in its execution and accuracy to the source material.

This one, not so much. I understand they were attempting a different, more action centric vibe. But that just doesn't fit the story mood, particularly the gratuitous introduction of a biplane and using Mi-Go like a generic swarm of flying pests. Overall I found the original story creepy, the film somewhat muddled. Still recommended, but nowhere near the same level as The Call of Cthulhu.

indrid13 likes this.
  10. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    THE HUMAN MONSTER - caught this on Bay Area's Creepy Kofy MovieTime. The only Bela Lugosi film I've seen besides DRACULA. Loved it, enjoyed it. Terrific for those Saturday nights IN. Perfect with pizza, better with beer.
    THE SHE BEAST - caught this unexpectedly on IFC Channel early this a.m. Fun times!

indrid13, Rocker10 and maskull like this.
  11. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

10/7/16 - Rose Red (1960) **1/2
    Determined to catapult her career through proof of paranormal phenomena, a researcher leads a team of psychics into a house with a history of killing its occupants.

Stephen King re-re-re-(you get the idea)-visits the haunted house theme, heavily borrowing from The Haunting, The Legend of Hell House, Burnt Offerings and The Winchester Mystery House. A sprinkling of Firestarter is thrown in for good measure, King rarely able to resist the plot element of the gifted child.

The made for television tropes are abundant, in particular with the characters. Apart from the stereotype slimy, conniving antagonists there is the obsessed zealot playing with fire, the witty hero with a hint of a dark past, and the requisite annoying twit.

Genuinely creepy moments abound, mostly the infrequent moments the film steers to understated and subtle instead of blatant. But it loses focus in the second half, as if King was struggling with how to resolve the story, and when that resolution comes it is flashy and excessive in that so predictable manner of modern horror films. A more restrained, thoughtful, or disciplined ending would have been more appropriate given the four hour running time.

10/8/16 - Baby Blues (2008) ***
    A young boy on an isolated farm is forced to protect his confused and helpless younger siblings when his loving family becomes not so loving.

After a brief setup, with some intentionally misleading foreshadowing, this movie gets right to the point with a sequence of shocking kills and familiar yet different chase sequences. Both the villain and protagonist are heart wrenchingly sympathetic, and the final toll put a scratch even into my callous soul.

This is an uncommon, more grounded approach to a well-traveled horror genre, and if it had been a bit more cerebral than action focused I'd have quickly granted another half star to the rating (I reserve that for films that take somewhat similar horror premises that extra step up in tension and thoughtfulness - films like Frailty, Found, Misery, Repulsion). Still this film was the first in my October marathon this year to gain enthusiastic appreciation, and is definitely recommended. Just don't confuse it with the 2013 Chinese film of the same name.

10/9/16 - Bloodsucking Freaks (1976) ***1/2
    Partake in the art of the atrocious, at a theater of perverted performances and revolting renditions.

An art gallery kidnapping by a wench wearing a trench coat and a dildo. A cage full of nude feral cannibal women. A blowgun spitting dwarf hiding in a locker. 911 calls that go to an answering machine. A brain smoothie. A nude coffee table. An arse hole dart board. A gene splice of Gene Wilder and Danny DeVito as a corrupt cop. A not so wracking rack. Getting head from a decapitated head. A defeeted dancer. A critic gets his kicks. Pan fried eyeballs. Gay necrophilia. A penis sandwich. And absolutely no titty left covered.

Definitely amateur hour and delightfully twisted, this film is wall to wall with what the fuck moments, and despite (and sometimes because of) its gaping flaws in logic and acting I had a wide grin the entire running time. Particularly engaging are the leads Seamus O'Brien as the maniacal maestro and Luis De Jesus as the demented dwarf (sadly both these actors met with tragic and early demises, exploitation theater lost a couple greats with these two). By no means is this a good film in the traditional sense, but it is so over the top bonkers it qualifies as great.

12. booper71

booper71 Lord of the Thighs.

Saw The Body Shop (1973) - sort of a Frankenstein, Reanimator and Frankenhooker medley. Aka Doctor Gore.

indrid13, Rocker10 and maskull like this.
  13. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. J.D.'s Revenge (Arthur Marks, 1976) (4/5)

A hip, sensitive brother is possessed by the spirit of a murdered 40's gangster and goes about raping and revenging. This thing is a great supernatural blaxploitation mashup. Not exactly done for scares, the possession element is handled in a matter of fact, nonchalant way. But it's still a lot of fun. The lead, Glynn Turman, is fantastic, especially when the J.D. character takes control. In the flashbacks, the character is menacing, but realistic. As the possessed Ike, he's absolutely batshit crazy, chewing the scenery to death. "That's right! I fucked your woman!"

indrid13, Kim Bruun, Rocker10 and 3 others like this.
  14. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Yoga hosers - I enjoyed tusk, this was just horrible, im impressed I managed to get to the end.

indrid13 likes this.
  15. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 9th
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

21) Sacrifice: A very play it safe mystery thriller with very little surprises. The whole run time is padded out to get to a plot twist you can see coming from a mile away, which makes this a chore to sit through. The twists are few, and predictable, the characters are walking clichés, and the ending is par for course as far as occult films go. Nothing else to say other than this was about average as you can get. (5/10)

22) They’re Watching: It’s been a while since I’ve seen a good horror-comedy and this far exceeded my expectations. Both the comedy and horror blended nicely and was complimented by a great cast and script. The major flaws with this one really hangs on the found footage aspect. It did make sense that they were filming at all times since the crew was documenting for a house flipping reality show, but at times things were being filmed that didn’t make sense. A number of times the camera would just be propped up and be filming for no real reason other than to move along small aspects of the plot. It wasn’t the biggest deal in the world but it did show a certain level of laziness on part of the filmmakers. The addition of a musical score annoyed me as well (this is found footage, who hell added in music and for what reason?) and the CGI at the end was pretty B-movie worthy, but still fun. Complaints aside, this is so far one of the more entertaining films I’ve seen this month. (7/10)

indrid13 and maskull like this.
  16. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Movie #23, 24, 25, & 26:

Cat In The Brain (1990): You know in the old sitcoms when the writers needed a week off and so they'd cobble together an episode of clips from past shows? That's what this movie feels like at times. The difference being that it's a Fulci movie, so the clips are full of gore and nudity and twisted sex. Fulci's going mad. He can't differentiate between the scenes he's shooting for a movie and his real life any more. It's fun watching Fulci go crazy. He has the best visions. Not a huge surprise based on what he put in his films.

The Bloodstained Butterfly (1971):
    The real Giallo influence is almost nonexistent for a large portion of the film, preferring a more police procedural, complete with lots of talk about evidence, and a courtroom drama. Once our suspected killer is safely locked away in prison, the killing starts, the red herrings begin, and everyone starts trying to sleep with everyone else. It's an extra soap opera-y Giallo but with surprisingly little nudity or even blood. It's still more interested in the mystery and with the cops trying to figure out if they put the wrong man behind bars. The whole thing is shot quite nicely, with plenty of gorgeous old buildings for the police to chase a man around, and the score is extremely catchy. As I said, it's not a typical Giallo but it had plenty enough going on that once I realized this, I went along with it and enjoyed it immensely.

The Whip and The Body (1963): Beautiful movie with oodles of atmosphere and a tale of love, hate, lust, revenge, and whipping. Some moments of sublime terror, others of simple apprehension. Lots of build up with some wonderful pay offs. This is Gothic horror as Bava does it. The story is pretty basic but I'm really here for the look, feel, and sound of the movie.

A Blade In The Dark (1983): It can get quite silly at times and the ending is ridiculous, but there's also plenty of creeps, vicious kills, a bit of nudity, and a giant house with lots of great places for people to jump out of....and close up shots of eyeballs. Gotta have them as well!

othervoice1, indrid13 and Rocker10 like this.
  17. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #10:
    Spasms (1983)
    First time viewing (VHS)
    ** (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    9. Back To Nature Day. No, not a nudist colony film, sheesh. One where nature is the true terror aka a plant/animal antagonist.

Oliver Reed is telepathically linked to a giant snake whose bite causes people to explode. Perfect Sunday morning viewing.
    [​IMG]
    Movie #11:
    Chopping Mall (1986)
    First time viewing (Blu)
    ***1/2 (out of 5)

Can't believe it took me so long to watch this. So much fun. Based on what I've seen previously, I can't believe I liked a Wynorski movie this much.

indrid13, maskull, Kim Bruun and 3 others like this.
  18. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

19. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 9

Hard to believe were almost a 1/3 of the way through October. Got 5 today. Monthly total sits at 32.

1. A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child - Okay entry in the series. You could tell things were getting tired. Interesting effects. As we rely so heavily on CGI it's interesting to see the things leading up to that. Have seen many different types of effects in this series as it progresses.

2. The Town That Dreaded Sundown (Blu) 1976 - A film I had never seen before a few years ago, but the name always fascinated me. I like this film. Was glad when Scream Factory put it out and it looks pretty decent. I bought the remake from 2014 and decided to do a back to back on these two.

3. The Town That Dreaded Sundown (Blu) 2014 - Not necessarily a remake, has the feel of a sequel with a lot of years in between. A lot of similarities and uses of the original movie in this one. There is a definite ramp up in the violence as well. I thought it was okay.

4. The Fog (Blu) 1980 - A favorite of mine. Always liked the atmosphere of this movie. This is one of the reasons I am a big John Carpenter fan. Seen this one many times.

5. The Crazies (Blu) 1973 - I always debated whether this was really a horror or not. It definitely has the Romero touch to it. In ways the feel is a bit like 'Dawn of the Dead' in the acting and mood. I prefer the Dead trilogy, but this is one I'll visit from time to time as well.

loutoad23, indrid13, maskull and 2 others like this.
  20. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

October 9th: COVENS & CULTS

[​IMG] [​IMG]

indrid13, maskull and Kim Bruun like this.