The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread - 2016 Edition!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2016.

1. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Q the Winged Serpent is probably my favorite Larry Cohen film as well. I've watched it many times over the years and was lucky enough to have seen it once in a movie theatre 5 years ago as part of a film festival. Q played very well with the crowd. It was easily my favorite viewing of this film.

wago70, indrid13 and Anthropophagus like this.
  2. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Don't watch any previews or read anything about it (unless you already have, then forget what you saw).

3. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Don't breathe - really enjoyed this, tight, claustrophobic and tense. Stephen lang was bad ass as the blind man, went in a few directions I was not expecting which was nice, the ending was a bit if a damp squid for me, but all in all a fun ride.

Rocker10, maskull and indrid13 like this.
  4. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

scanners.jpg

I've seen this so many times, but I don't remember Patrick McGoohan's character being as boring as he felt this time. I don't like this feeling.

5. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

October 14
    [​IMG]

Nightmares in Red, White, and Blue (2009)

[​IMG]

Terror in the Aisles (1984)

6. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 14TH:

260973-d0.jpg 231449-d0.jpg

Rocker10, indrid13 and Anthropophagus like this.
  7. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

8. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

Oct 13th-

[​IMG]

The Leopard Man (1943) First time viewing. I enjoyed it. More a murder mystery then creature feature. Followed it up with The Ghost Ship (1943) which was okay. Seemed more like a stage play then a movie. Not much happens except for a cool knife fight towards the end.

Film count so far 25 movies

9. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

I liked it. It had an 80s throwback slasher vibe to it, and it's a bit of a slow burn, but worth a rental if you get the chance. I didn't know it aired on Chiller sometime ago. There's a cool "retro VHS cut" of the film Scream Factory put together as a special feature. It reminded me of those late night 80s HBO/Cinemax movie presentations.

maskull and Myron Breck like this.
  10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Any good? I love finding good horror documentaries.

11. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

I liked it. It goes from Cabinet of Caligari up to the late 2000's. Not slasher specific, just horror. Worth a watch, IMO.

12. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

I concur, and Netflix has been streaming it for quite a while. Definitely a fun overview.

13. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

Yes, I thought it was outstanding.

14. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 14

4 today and 48 for the month.

1. The Hills Have Eyes 2 (Blu) 1984 - Like the original better, but this was okay. The Blu is a bit weak. Think Kino put this out a few years back and the picture quality is a bit flat looking.

2. Scream 3 (Blu) 2000 - This one was also okay. Couple of hours of entertainment. Finally finished the first 3 so I can watch 4. Haven't seen it yet.

3. Freddy vs. Jason (Blu) 2003 - Hard to believe this is already 13 years old. I must have watched this the first time and been distracted because I enjoye4d it much more then I remembered from years ago. I thought maybe the studios would do a bit more with this concept, but this seems to be their only recent attempt with the big name killers unless I missed something somewhere. Fun movie.

4. House of Frankenstein (Blu) 1944 - I'm a big fan of Karloff, so it's always nice to catch more of his stuff. I am enjoying the storied through watching these films in order. Pretty dang good cast in this one.

Workshed, maskull and indrid13 like this.
  15. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #17:
    The Toxic Avenger (1984)
    First time viewing (Amazon Prime)
    *1/2 (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    14. Pseudotronic day. Just about anything with a Troma logo on it will suffice. Practical effects are a must, no CGI!

I haven't seen many Troma films, but this first time viewing just cements the fact that their style of film is not my cup of tea.

16. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

THE MONOLITH MONSTERS
    SHIN GODZILLA (theatrical)
    BLACK FRIDAY
    H.P. LOVECRAFT:FEAR OF THE UNKNOWN
    REVENGE OF THE CREATURE
    DON'T BREATHE (theatrical)
    THE OMEN (1976)
    HANDS OF THE RIPPER
    PHANTASM
    DR. TERROR'S HOUSE OF HORRORS
    DRACULA'S DAUGHTER
    THE INDESTRUCTIBLE MAN
    THE DEVIL'S MESSENGER
    FIEND WITHOUT A FACE
    GIANT FROM THE UNKNOWN

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    wago70, Rocker10 and indrid13 like this.
  17. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

A Nightmare On Elm Street 3: The Dream Warriors BD
    A Nightmare On Elm Street 4: The Dream Master BD
    A Nightmare On Elm Street 5: The Dream Child BD

Ah yes, the Dream Trilogy. Warriors has always been one of my favorite Nightmare films. I like the fact that the Nancy character returns and offers her experience. Freddy has a lot of great one-liners and kills in this one which makes it blast to watch. Master was a bit of a let down for me. Shame Patricia Arquette didn't reprise her role even if her character had a short screen time. This one didn't really offer anything new except for Freddy's death and a couple of funny kills. Child was a bit more entertaining with the Alice character returning and Freddy trying to be reborn. The kills weren't that great but entertaining nonetheless.

Bride Of Chucky BD
    Seed Of Chucky BD
    Curse Of Chucky (unrated) BD

Bride is my second favorite film in this series right behind the original. Giving Chucky another doll to interact with (in more ways than one) was what this series needed and it worked out great. The chemistry between Tiffany and Chucky works well and create great kills and dialogue. The sex scene with the dolls is hilarious. I had never seen Seed before and was pleasantly surprised how well it worked. Throwing a child doll in the mix added more to the Chucky and Tiffany characters trying to be "responsible parents" and what not. My only gripe with the film is that the Glen or Glenda child doll didn't look a thing like Chucky and Tiffany. It was an interesting character don't get me wrong, I just wish he or she looked more like the parents. Curse was another one I haven't seen and I'm a bit mixed about it. I like the new setting and also like that it's a bit of a slow burn type of film. This somewhat new look of the Chucky doll also works for me. The overall look and feel of the film all works up until the ending. Or should I say "endings." I feel like they break the flow of the whole film. They shouldn't have reintroduced the Tiffany character it just abruptly changed the whole feel of the film. The movie itself would have been just fine without those endings. It would have worked as like a stand alone film in the franchise.

Hellraiser: Bloodlines DVD
    Hellraiser: Deader DVD
    Hellraiser: Hellworld DVD

In my opinion Bloodlines was the last good Hellraiser film. It tells the character's story that unfolds in the past, present and future while still maintains the themes of the past three films. I would love a Bluray of this. Deader with former star Kari Wuhrer was a chore to sit through. Something about an underground cult and Wuhrer's character's past with the puzzle box caught in the middle. Anyway Pinhead only shows up a few times just to tell people how he's gonna tear their souls apart. Forgettable. Hellworld doesn't fair any better but at least it changes things up a bit. The movie is about a group of twenty-somethings who get invited to a mansion to play a new PC game based on the puzzle box. The film has a bit of a twist and keeps things interesting. It also features Lance Henriksen and a young Henry Cavill (aka Superman).

Workshed, Rocker10, maskull and 2 others like this.
  18. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Funhouse
    Masters of Horror: Family
    Halloweentown

$(KGrHqR.JPG

masters-of-horror-john-landis-family-widescreen_1763129.jpg

It's been years since I've watched Hoopers Funhouse. It can be a little slow at times but I love this flick. The carnival atmosphere is terrific. A couple sequences with the freak are really creepy.

John Landis season 2 (I believe) of showtimes masters of Horror show, has always been a favorite episode of mine. I've only seen probably 30% of these but of the ones I've seen this is right up there with Imprint as my favorite. Great way to spend an hour.

And we ended the night with Halloweentown per request from the wife. It's her childhood favorite and it's really enjoyable. Fun times. I made sure we did this one after dinner, at the end of the night.....to ensure I had at least 6-7 beers in me
    :D

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  19. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

[​IMG] "Dr. Pretorius? Pretorius?"
    14 10/08 From Beyond (1986) [Unrated Director's Cut]
    Hadn't seen this before as I heard mixed things and was difficult to get a hold of in a time of my life when I was most interested. Finally watching it, this feels like it falls short somehow. I'm not sure how to describe it. It's like it's trying to be Cronenberg but doesn't know how, so it does some mindflesh stuff and pays lip service to S&M and calls it good. I found the dimensional creatures rather lackluster; my under the sea pop-up books as a kid had more fucked up shit than the river fish and jellyfish they portrayed in here. The more Rob Bottin moments that I think John Carl Buechler created was good but the more lumpy Basket Case style version seen through the better part of Act II and Act III was just plain laughable to me. And the S&M, besides getting Barbara Crampton into a dominatrix garb (always appreciated), went absolutely nowhere. But there were parts I REALLY liked and especially THEE ending which pushed things further than most horror goes.
    What the hell, a couple of things I would have done differently:
    1) I would have had Barbara Crampton tie Combs up and whipped him when she got all hot and bothered after he was almost eaten: and this pushes out his pineal gland. Also a LOT of room to work in tongue-and-cheek dialog was missed.
    2) I would have had Barbara get electroshock therapy and had something kinda like the finale of Braindamage, which would have triggered her lineal gland which awakens Combs. And together they'd ravage the asylum of brains, then return to the house.
    I would have had a similar ending, but a little more Scanners/Carrie-like instead of dynamite.

15 10/09 Prince of Darkness (1987)
    ...So let me get this straight.
    Basically an anti-matter being sent some plasma (its "son") 7,000 years ago but had to wait around until there were enough atheists in the world (presumably so lack of spirituality would retard our own psychic growth), possess a specially marked package, so it could find a full figure mirror (apparently the technological advancement it was also waiting for) and pull said anti-matter being ("Father") into our world? It's such a round about plot. For what gain? And de-escalates from "THIS IS THE DEVIL INCARNATE" to "Well actually it's just his less talented kid, but he'll bring the REAL deal just you wait and see!" And Jesus shows up 2k years too early, snuffs it, and so the other aliens say "Oh well, there goes the Universe" and pack up their bags? Especially when all they had to do was push the thing back into the mirror; if only to kick the can further down the road? It reads like a first draft to me. Also isn't it odd that the future could capture on tape thee moment the anti-christ first walks out?
    A lot of the set pieces and other Carpenter touches are fine, but I mean... This is Plan 'A'???

Any one seen Alice Cooper For President 2016 platform?
    I can get behind that! He even uses ye olde spelling "theatres" like Lovecraft would. ;)

16 10/10 The Dunwich Horror (1970)
    A guilty pleasure of mine I'll admit. This is pretty straight forward Lovecraft which, admittedly, does get its' 70's groove on (and it is a solid 70's feel for a flat out 1970 release date with the 60's feel already in its rear view). Dean Stockwell does a great job balancing both the outsider geek and the intriguing bad boy your parents warn you away from but that only peaks your interest. I enjoy Stockwell's approach to the rituals and there's some pretty brutal moments with the twin entity. Also the old school drape over camera is a nice touch. It's a fickle thing youthful memory; I seem to clearly recall Sandra Dee's nudity from the first time I saw this but seeing it now I missed it almost entirely. Can't be more than a few frames. Isn't really a big deal now anyways.

Workshed, Rocker10, maskull and 2 others like this.
  20. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

October 14th:

THE WOLF MAN'S GHOST

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Anthropophagus, Rocker10 and indrid13 like this.