The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread - 2016 Edition!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2016.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

October 9th:

[​IMG]

12.) The Girl On The Train (2016) - Not a horror movie, but since it is a murder mystery I figured I'd throw it in here. It was very paint-by-numbers and the killer's identity was glaringly obvious, but still a fun trip to the movies. Just dumb trashy fun.

I also watched the new blu-ray of October Sky (1999), which I had never seen before. Doesn't qualify whatsoever aside from having October in the title, but I loved it. Great movie.

October 11th:

[​IMG]

13.) The Evil Dead (1981) - What can I say that hasn't been said? It's a masterpiece. I watched it with two friends who had never seen the Evil Dead movies and they loved it as well.

14.) Evil Dead II (1987) - I know most people consider this their favorite of the series, but for me it is my least favorite. Still love it though. Had planned to finish the night with Army Of Darkness, but everyone was too tired by the time this was over.

October 12th:

15.) American Horror Story "Chapter 5" - After last week's terrific set-up, I have to say I found this episode a little anticlimactic. Although it seems like this storyline is completely wrapped up, and next week they are starting from scratch with a new story? So I'm definitely intrigued.

16.) Scream Queens "Handidate" - Still crazy fun, although probably my least favorite episode of the season so far. It does end with the murder of one of season one's survivors though...

October 14th:

[​IMG]

17.) The Exorcist (1973) - I have never really been an Exorcist fan. I remember watching it as a kid and finding it boring as all get-out. Watching it now as an adult (having recently purchased the gorgeous 40th Anniversary blu-ray set), I do appreciate it more but I'm still not crazy about it. Glad to finally own it though, as I've never owned the film on any format.

Also tried watching the new SyFy series Channel Zero: Candle Cove, but ended up turning it off because I couldn't get into it.

I've been slacking this year... need to pick up the pace.

Past Entries:
    1.) Edgar Allan Poe's Buried Alive (1990)
    2.) Doctor Death: Seeker Of Souls (1973)
    3.) Cult Of The Damned (1969)
    4.) The Hand (1981)
    5.) Wishcraft (2002)
    6.) Zombie Nightmare (1987)
    7.) American Horror Story "Chapters 3 & 4"
    8.) Scream Queens "Warts And All"
    9.) Donnie Darko (2001)
    10.) Idle Hands (1999)
    11.) The Seventh Sign (1988)

2. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Laid to rest - enjoyable slasher, with some of the charts SFX, they have done wonders here, scenes that have to be seen to be believed, I slo mowed through quite a few, definitely a gore lovers dream. Well done almost human, I will be looking out for more of your work.

Rocker10, maskull and indrid13 like this.
  3. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. Carrie (Kimberly Pierce, 2013) (3/5)

Wow, people around here had some pretty negative things to say about this film when it came out. One person actually said they preferred the Angela Bettis version to this. I don't understand that at all. Is it a reaction to remakes in general? Anger at the mere notion of manipulative cash-grab remakes, and the perception of Hollywood as being devoid of any artistic integrity? That makes more sense to me than actual distaste for this film in particular. Because this actually wasn't that bad. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it was kind of....good. The casting was pretty excellent for all the leads (Carrie, Margaret, Sue, Tommy, Chris, Billy, Miss. Desjardin), and the acting was fine. The relationship between Carrie and her mother was different, less intense, a bit more tender, and it made them both very sympathetic. In fact, I was really invested in the film, up until Carrie makes it home after the prom. Once she got home, I felt like it ran out of energy, and kind of limped over the finish line. But it was a solid effort.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Hey, I'm further behind than you.

7. American Horror Story: My Roanoke Nightmare chapter 5

Well, we finally saw Evan Peters, and his rather nasty demise. This was probably the most violent episode of the season, and they seemed to have wrapped up the story. As the producers said, there will be a big twist in chapter 6, which airs next week. I'm intrigued. As I've mentioned before, this is the most streamlined plot of any season of AHS so far, let's see where they take it.

8. Clown (2014) 3/5

[​IMG]

First of all, don't let the "From Eli Roth" be a factor in whether you choose to see this movie or not. All that really happened was the director made a fake trailer a few years ago which credited Eli Roth as the director, and uploaded it to YouTube. Roth saw it, and offered to EP a feature length version. Hey, it's a more creative way of getting funding than Kickstarter. Anyway, this is sort of a body-horror film, similar in concept to say The Fly, but not as cerebral as Cronenberg's films in this sub-genre. A middle-class dad dons a clown costume to entertain at his son's birthday party, but finds afterwards that it doesn't come off. He learns that clowns originated from a European demon mythology, and it appears he's turning into one. Best thing about this film is how the absurd concept is played for laughs at first (including a HILARIOUS gun-shot scene, I won't spoil it any more than that), but gets very nasty towards the end, even with a murder spree that still breaks a cinematic taboo. I was also gonna praise the use of all practical effects, but I learned from the making-of feature that CG was used. Although in a good way. Like, in one murder scene, they used a puppet to create a very nasty face-ripping. Then that footage was digitally composited onto the real-actor. The FX guy says it's an example of how CG and practical effects can work together, and I agree.

9. House (1977) 4.5/5

[​IMG]

This movie is still pretty crazy, easily in the top 5 strangest films in my collection. And still good fun too. I was amused when we screened this at a film forum a few years ago, and several members chose not to attend because they don't like scary films. Really, if this movie scares you, you're probably too thin-skinned to live in today's world. But it's just a hoot from beginning to end. Well, I don't know if I can comment on the end, because the Vertical Epic I had from Stone Brewery was starting to kick in at that point. Oh well, I can just re-watch it again tonight.

5. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 15th
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

36) When Animals Dream: A goo werewolf flick is hard to find. Thankfully this happens to be one of the diamonds in the ruff. I like how they incorporated a real world disease into the film instead of going the standard route with the story. The biggest problem here is the short runtime which only works against it. Also, the plot hole surrounding how she got this disease
    Her mother, who is dying, turns out to have the same problem. How this girl went her whole life not figuring out her mother was a werewolf is beyond me.
    . A solid film overall, just not perfect. (7/10)

37) Under the Shadow: I’ll tell you what, Iran is really knocking it out of the park with horror films. First there was “A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night” and now we get “Under the Shadow.” This film does just about everything I want in a supernatural horror film: Brooding atmosphere, great tension, and an original story. The narrative is a definite slow burn, but once the final few minutes come into play everything is banging on all cylinders with one great scare after another. Forget “The Babadook,” “Under the Shadow” is the ghost story I’ve been waiting for. Highly recommended. (8/10)

Workshed, Rocker10, maskull and 2 others like this.
  6. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 15TH:

260955-d0.jpg 202813-d0.jpg 203689-d0.jpg

The new Scream Factory Collector's Edition of the first film looks great; I almost didn't triple-dip, but thanks to the new transfer and special features, I went ahead and did. I love the film enough to do so. Now, where are collector's editions for 2 & 3?​

7. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I watched Shout's new Blu of The Thing and it looked great. Such a great film. The blood test scene got my wife again even though she's seen it multiple times.

8. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Watched Halloween H20

I don't care what anyone says, I love this flick. It's pretty much Scream 2: Michael Myers. And there's nothing wrong with that. Moves at a good pace, suspenseful, and Myers looked as good as ever. I hadn't watched it in years and the last 3 times or so I've watched it was a blank tape recording off of pay-per-view in late 98. Pretty gangsta.....but last year I bought the flipper disk with the children of the corn sequels and this included. Had fun.

9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Some of you guys are making me fill up my Netflix queue to last well into November

Hatchetwarrior, Angelman and indrid13 like this.
  10. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

Back for a weekly update!
    9. Paranormal Activity 2
    -Glad I stuck to my guns of going for the whole series here, as I survived the first one which I really don't care for and was happy that this one picked up the pace considerably. It is a bit slow at times, but there are several solid scare scenes and I liked this family much better than the cast of the first one. Solid entry and the best is yet to come! (7/10)
    10. Exeter
    - After all of my talk defending Marcus Nispiel with my revisiting of the TCM remake earlier this month, I should have figured that this was coming. This was looking good for about 10 minutes and then went completely down the toilet. There are still some signs of his visual flair here, but the story and performances are so poor that this one came as a profound disappointment from a director that I still believe in, but am hoping for amuch stronger effort next time. Hey, even John Carpenter made Village of the Damned, right? (3/10)
    11. Paranormal Activity 3
    -From the ones I have seen, this one is the gem of the series. Numerous very scary moments and some truly exciting directions with the storyline. A chilling ending that leaves you excited for where the series is going next. I loved this one and highly recommend it! (9/10)
    12. Paranormal Activity 4
    -Well, this one couldn't live up to the stellar third entry, but it is still in my opinion very solid. Its downfall was too many scenes with the Xbox "Kinect" nightvision thing or whatever it was going on there with the game system. Still solid overall and another great ending. This is the last one that I had previously seen, so the final two coming up will be first time viewings for me! (7/10)
    13. Hellions
    -Took a break from clearing a small dent in the Blu pile to look for one on Netflix, and "lucky" number 13 was a colossal mistake. I picked this because it was a Halloween movie I hadn't seen, but I would have been better off choosing the collective works of Tyler Perry's Madea. This was an absolute atrocity of a movie whose pretentious pretense of "art" and collection of nonsensical images made me want to toss a grenade at the screen. It is apparently trying to make some oh so very deep statement about either pro-life or pro-choice, with a delivery so muddled and flawed that it is anybody's guess as to which. In any case, it should surprise absolutely nobody that this is not the type of thing that people flock to a horror film to see! I am sure the director of this piece of cinematic baboon shit would say that I'm just not intelligent enough to understand his profound film. I say that if I can save just ONE of you from watching this celluloid outhouse scrapings, then I have done my good deed for the Halloween season. (0/10, unless -1000 is a possible score)
    14. The Houses October Built
    _After the longest 90 minutes of my life wrapped up with Hellions, I went back to the warm arms of found footage horror. Sure, many of them are complete trash, but I am still a sucker for each new one that shows promise. I had seen this one once before, and the second go-round was still a solid experience. Not as startling as the first go-round, but it still mostly hit the spot. If you haven't seen it I would absolutely say to give this one a go. There are some shocking and unsettling moments. (7/10)
    15. The Stepfather
    - I needed a couple today that I could enjoy during the daytime and not feel like I was short-changing the scare possibilities due to daylight. This one was a perfect fit, as it is not really intended to be scary. Outstanding acting from Terry O'Quinn in the lead role and an excellent plotline make this one always a winner in my book. Of course, the gorgeous Jill Schoelen does not hurt either (I'm not too classy to mention that she has a shower scene to drool over). If you haven't seen this, then you are cheating yourself out of a true gem. Now where the hell are the second and third movies on Blu??? (8/10)
    16. Victor Frankenstein
    -One more for the daytime, a first time viewing. I would have to say that this was pretty close to what I was expecting. The performances by Radcliffe and McAvoy were not bad if you don;t mind some serious scene chewing, but I was left unimpressed by the CGI on display and wish they had tried just a little bit to make this more of a horror movie instead of some kind of a mildly steampunky scented adventure. It wasn't horrible, but Frankie deserves better. At least it wasn't I, Frankenstein!! (5/10)
    I am hoping that I can make it to at least 31 this month! I was considering giving the actual Halloween series the year off for the first time in forever, but I am not sure I can hold out on a couple of them at least.

11. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Movie 41, 42, & 43:

The Other Hell (1981): A lot of my time watching this movie was spent wondering who that person on screen was or why something was significant or just simply what the heck was going on. But there was also a lot of cool moments, bad dubbing, and amazing dialogue. In the end it's a total win for me.

Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948): After watching Abbott and Costello Meet The Mummy I was feeling pretty iffy about the whole Abbott and Costello Meet... thing. I guess maybe the Mummy was the wrong one to start off with because this one is pretty great! It actually works as a comedy and a horror movie. There are some genuinely creepy moments and some moments that had me laughing out loud. Doesn't hurt that Bela Lugosi and Lon Chaney Jr. reprise their most famous roles. Just weird that it's called "Meet Frankenstein" because he's really the only one of the three that Abbott and Costello don't actually get introduced to.

Book of Shadows - Blair Witch 2 (2000): I've seen this one so many times now. I'm sure I've watched it more times than The Blair Witch Project. It's just so watchable and I always see something new. Never mind the annoying characters and some iffy 90's tunes, I still pretty much love this movie.

12. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 15

Watched 5 films today bringing my total to 53 so far.

1. Vacancy (Blu) 2007 - Always liked this one. Actually hadn't viewed it in a long time, but enjoyed it today as much as I remember enjoying it in the past.

2. The Thing (Blu) 1982 - No introduction needed here. This film is a classic and the recent Scream set lives up to the hype. I'm going to have to go back and really dig into the extra goodies on all of these sets. I've been concentrating mostly on movies to this point, but these recent sets are really well put together.

3. House of Dracula (Blu) 1945 - Really enjoyed House of Frankenstein and wanted to see where they took the story, so this was the next logical watch. Good movie and once again, quality is good. 2 more movies in the Wolfman Legacy set to watch.

4. Scream 4 (Blu) 2011 - Finally made it to this movie. It was decent, but really, really didn't like the killer in this one. I'll leave it at that. Didn't like much of the music either.

5. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Blu) 1974 - This movie is a classic, but really warped when you look at even the smallest of details. I wanted to get a viewing in on this one as I bought the second one with the Scream Factory treatment.

13. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Oct. 15.

The Phantom of the Opera. (1962). Looks gorgeous, however I just could not get into it. Perhaps I've seen too many adaptations of Gaston Leroux's classic, perhaps I'm just tired from an excruciatingly long wilderness hike earlier today. I must admit I was always a little indifferent to the 'Phantom' films, and none of them are particular favorites.
    Being that this is Hammer studios, perhaps I just set my expectations too high. It's not terrible, just not very memorable. 6/10.

It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. (1966). Seasonal tv specials could seldom top this one for me. Loved it as a child and looked forward to it each year. Even more fun to revisit with my 6 year old nephew. A classic. 10/10.

Garfield's Halloween Adventure (1985). Loved the Garfield comic strip, so I could barely contain my excitement when they began airing these seasonal tv specials featuring the tubby, lasagna loving feline. Childhood favorite, and I must say it's still kind of spooky. There's a pirate theme and some genuinely creepily rendered ghosts, always found the scenes where they return from the dead a little intense. Another great watch with my nephew. 10/10.

14. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Movies 44, 45, 46 & 47:

The Cat (2011): Cutest openings to a movie ever! And the pet shop is called Kitty N Puppy. So I loved that. It made me happy....

Then the cavalcade of terrible things happening to cats begins and I'm not so happy any longer. Glad most of them were bad cgi so I didn't feel too bad. Anyway I kind of loved this movie. It has a lot of the regular K-Horror tropes...though the little girl had SHORT HAIR HA!!! Take That!!.....but they're used more to accentuate the story than be the be all and end all. The movie flits between adorable and heartbreaking with ease so you don't feel too bad all the time and the lead actress is pretty wonderful and charming and likable. She's either a really good actor or she really likes cats.

The only negative, and it might be a huge one to some people, is that it's not particularly scary. Maybe if you haven't seen a lot of these type of movies the usual "scary" stuff would still work on you. It doesn't matter though because I loved everything else.

Re-Cycle (2006): Starts out as a seeming ghost story but turns into a fantasy film with some horror elements. Kind of a quest with horror monsters. There's some really nice looking sets and the concept of the abandoned world is interesting, if not really fleshed out enough. I don't know if it's my blu ray or the movie, but a lot of the colours were pretty muddy and washed out and the detail was sorely lacking, which is a shame when you can't clearly see all the interesting things you're being shown.

I kind of wish the Pang Bros would trust the audience a little more to get what's happening. They seem to feel the need to explain everything and it really ruined one emotional moment in the movie and another cool reveal. I got it.

The Eye: Infinity (2005): OK I was not expecting this to be a horror comedy. Actually most of the movie seems to be interested in the comedy more than the horror, going by the cheesy music even when things could be scary. Fortunately there are some definitely funny moments, or more precisely moments that were so goofy that I couldn't help but laugh. There's a dance battle between a possessed boy and some hip hop kids that had me rolling my eyes and laughing at the same time. Also, two words: haunted basketball.I don't know if I'd call this a good movie. Parts of it are actually a little confusing, there are plenty of horrible, non-funny jokes (*Fart*), and none of the scares work.

Visible Secret (2001): Romantic, funny, cute, at occasionally creepy, with a couple of good acrobatic possession moments, and at times kind of confusing. It jumps all over the place but not in an annoying way, more of a fun way. I never got bored. The two leads are pretty great. They have decent chemistry together. Probably helped by the, as always, absolute adorableness that is Shu Qi.

I'll probably need to give this another viewing because of the ending. I think I predicted it at one point but then thought I was wrong. Then right again. Then thought something else.....turns out I was right in the first place, but I'm not sure I'm satisfied that it actually makes sense.

Rocker10, indrid13 and othervoice1 like this.
  15. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

October 15
    [​IMG]

Star Trek ~ Catspaw (1967)

So what's up with Chekov's hair in this one? I know I wasn't around in the 60's but I can't imagine this was ever fashionable.
    [​IMG]

Rocker10, wago70, indrid13 and 3 others like this.
  16. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

October 14 - Texas Chainsaw 3D 2/5
    Not a very good movie - it had a couple effective moments though and Alexandra Daddario is a cutie.

October 15 - The Green room 4.5/5
    Well acted, very tense and awesome soundtrack <: Reminded me what a great young actor Anton Yelchin was - he will be missed.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  17. Angelman

No joke, he was cast to be the cute, Beatle-esque one.

indrid13 likes this.
  18. Angelman

Yeah, I came into this with the lowest of expectations and actually liked it.

And yeah, that actress is pretty easy on the eyes.

19. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

It is watchable and I didn't hate it - I might actually update my score to a 2 out of five - because if it was a scale of 1-10 a 4 sounds more accurate than a 3.

Heck of a lot better then The Next Generation - now that was an awful movie.

I also did not watch it in 3D - just 2D - so not sure if the 3D was any good and might have helped it.

20. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

timber falls.jpg

Same old shit. If you're bored out of your mind with nothing but time to kill, you may as well keep searching.

Rocker10, indrid13, msw7 and 2 others like this.