The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread - 2016 Edition!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

While we've got a couple more days before October, let's discuss this: Why is October now a month-long horror-fest? Not complaining, mind you, not one bit. I just wonder why it became a 31-day event. Is it just because of Halloween? Unlikely, as many movies that people watch (and get shown on the many horror-fests that cable channels air) have summer or winter settings that have little or nothing to do with Halloween. No one says it's "out of place" to watch Friday the 13th or The Shining this month, do they?
    Is it because there's really nothing else happening in October, holiday-wise or other? Is it the weather cooling down and the leaves turning? (and that's a real question...I live in southern California. Nothing but palm trees, and we literally had triple digit heat this week)

In December, everything is Christmas-related, but all the movies and specials are dedicated to the holiday itself. As mentioned above, most of the horror people watch is not at all related to Halloween. We certainly don't do an all-American themed July, joke around the entire month of April, or anything like that.

So why do you all think October is an entire MONTH of horror?

2. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

For me it's loving this time of the year. Cooler weather and the changing seasons, and my love of the horror genre. It just feels like the right time for it to peak with Halloween at the end of the month. I only started going crazy with 31 days maybe 5 or 6 years ago. Had a decent sized collection and thought it might be interesting to delve in a bit heavier than normal. Now it's an every October thing for me. The mood is there. I will admit, after going completely overboard for 31 days, I do walk away from it for a bit. I even delve into some traditional holiday classics (non horror) through the holiday season. As far as why it's an entire month, I just think it's the way we are all put together. Love spooky stuff!

maskull likes this.
  3. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

For me, Halloween is my favorite day of the year. I don't even think there's a close 2nd. October has always been "horror month" for me. There's a lot of factors. Halloween stores open their doors. Retailers put up their Halloween products. Television starts showing more horror (I believe AMC and SyFy have had their "31 days of horror" or something to that affect, years ago). People start putting up decorations in their yards and homes. What is the alternative, squeezing all of this into one day or weekend?
    As far as movies people watch around certain times......... even though most horror flicks have nothing to do with the holiday of Halloween itself, it's irrelevant. Horror movies will always have a connection to the season, regardless of the specific setting or mood of any particular movie. The SEASON itself (which most of us have determined that's October) is a celebration of all things horror. Whether it's a slasher flick taking place in the middle of summer, or a Kubrick masterpiece set in the freezing cold middle of winter. If it's anywhere near the horror realm, it's celebrated in October and rightfully so.

You referenced the weather and it's interesting....... I grew up in New England and when October came, Halloween time specifically...... it's really a beautiful, BEAUTIFUL time of the year. Suburban areas in particular.....the colors are nothing short of breathtaking. It was something to look forward to every year and it never got old. It was just one more aspect of the season that made it enjoyable. I couldn't imaging growing up anywhere else where Halloween time was creeping up and you were still going swimming.

I watch Horror movies all year long, no doubt about it.........but I'll be damned if I don't enjoy them 100x more in October.

I forgot one more aspect. I LOVE fall seasonal beer. Sam Adams Octoberfest, Karbauch Octoberfest....... love em. But my all time favorite beer..... ALL TIME..... hands down, is Shipyard Pumpkin Head. It's from Maine and it's all I drink as soon as it's released (usually September). The first year I was in TX I was really bummed I couldn't find it. But there's a SPEC's in town that now gets it in the fall time. Already on my 2nd case. Not to mention it's the coolest label for a beer ever.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  4. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Great questions.

Growing up, my house would always be decorated for Halloween all month long. My mom was never into horror films, but she liked to make it creepy-kitschy with danging, bug-eyed spiders, lots of jack o'lanterns, glow-in-the-dark knick-knacks, etc. And she was big on costumes for my sister and me--she would sew elaborate costumes for us when we were young, and she encouraged us to get creative and weird as we got older.

Remember the year the Freddy costume was 'banned' in some schools? My mom went out and bought me one, complete with the GLOVE and creepy mask, and let me wear it to school and out trick-or-treating. I always looked forward to October as a result of her enthusiasm, and I still do. I'm not big on decorating, so I guess playing movies as much as I can is my way of keeping it spooky all month long at my place.

maskull and Natas like this.
  5. Workshed

Just bought tix for a local theater's double feature of Argento's DEEP RED and Bava's BAY OF BLOOD near the end of October! Never seen the latter, and this will be a first time viewing of DEEP RED in the theater for me.

Natas likes this.
  6. Workshed

Agreed, I love pumpkin beers. I am flying from London to Seattle in Oct to attend the annual Great Pumpkin Beerfest, where breweries from all over the country bring their pumpkin beers for an all-day tasting. Food, music, and the best night's sleep ever!

My favorite pumpkin beer is the Elysian Night Owl:

[​IMG]

Natas likes this.
  7. Natas

Hell yeah, man!! That sounds amazing. I'm going to have to search for Night Owl and give it a shot. Have you ever done a Shipyard? They're getting more and more popular every year....... a lot of my regular bars back home would have it on tap and serve it with a caramel-brown sugar rim. Holy fuck dude, delicious!!!! The wife started making her own caramel for my shippys........damn, it's only 8:30 and I'm already looking forward to cracking open a pumpkinhead on the golf course after work! Only 7 and a half more hours.

Workshed likes this.
  8. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

Everything about October just makes horror films so much better. The cooler weather. The decorations. All the seasonal treats and of course the holiday itself. When I was growing up the stations would start playing more horror films in October then they did other times of the year. So part f it comes from that too. It's my favorite time of the year and it just seems right turning the whole month into a celebration. Besides movies I try to celebrate by watching some horror related tv shows. Read a really good horror novel or two and play some horror based video games.

maskull likes this.
  9. Workshed

I don't think I have had a Shipyard. Will keep an eye out when I'm in Seattle. Unfortunately, London doesn't really 'do' Halloween as big as the good ol' USA, and I have yet to see any pumpkin beers around. Fingers crossed.

10. Natas

All month long.........

[​IMG]

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  11. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

A solid question, never really gave it too much thought. Like a lot of people here are saying it's the nostalgia surrounding the holiday, I mean who didn't love Halloween as a kid? On the other side of things, it's a way for me to play catch up with all the horror films I wanted to watch from this year but didn't get a chance to for one reason or another. In years past I would always try to fit in a handful of old school horror films I've always wanted to watch, but this year and last year that hasn't been the case (the two oldest films I got to watch were Hammer's The Mummy (1959) and Alone with Her (2006)).

Natas likes this.
  12. loutoad23

loutoad23 Active Member

this sounds awesome! I haven't planned anything, but maybe ill do week themes (week 1:giallo's week 2:50s monster movies etc)

13. Natas

Brilliant.

Everyone loves Halloween. Little kids, teenagers, middle aged folks, senior citizens...... it's just enjoyable. And if you're not into it at all, it's not forced down your throat like other holidays i'll fail to mention on purpose.

I always loved October and Halloween, but I think it amplified 10 fold as soon as I moved out and got my own apartment (at 20). My passion for horror grew, having my own spot to decorate as I choose, having trick or treaters come to MY place...... I dunno, maybe a mixture of it all. But it was definitely around that time where I would actually start planning horror movie marathons, taking time off of work, going out of my way to enjoy the season in general, and basically just giving myself an excuse to party for a month lol

maskull likes this.
  14. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Oh crap, I completely forgot about October Horror Watching. In previous years I was planning and making purchases months in advance. I went as far as putting a schedule together in a spreadsheet. It's been a crazy year and my movie watching has taken a huge hit. I was viewing as many as 50 films in years past. This October I'll be lucky if I get a dozen. After last year I was planning on getting watching all of the Amityville films (for the first time) in 2016 . Better skipping that idea.

maskull and DVD-fanatic-9 like this.
  15. loutoad23

loutoad23 Active Member

that sound so awesome, wish I was going

Workshed likes this.
  16. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

But the feeling you get from Friday the 13th is a pretty cool feeling, the fact that it was filmed in September-October comes through the screen. Not that that's the only thing that evens out the 'seasons' in different movies. I feel like the tone of all horror films tend to congeal into one.

As for the people in California, I sure as hell couldn't do a month of horror in a climate like that. (I guess I assume it's much the same in Arizona and Nevada. Sorry for all of you.)

But, the idea of the entire month for me is that I've wanted to do a chronological marathon of select genre titles for as far back as maybe 2003. I don't even know. I tried once with VHS and over the course of maybe 5, I just down and ran through tape after tape.

Angelman likes this.
  17. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Others have said much the same but there is no time of year, no holiday that lends itself so earnestly to our shared love of horror films than October. It's the decorated yards, the drug stores full of costumes, the pumpkins and jack o'lanterns, the candy... There is something about October that feels like I have docked with the mother ship. It's when my horror obsession needs no explanation. I want to fully embrace it while it's here. Even for my kid, there's a series of streets here in Santa Monica with a block party and full Hollywood level Haunted Houses up and down the blocks. It's insane. It's the best.

It's Halloween. Everyone's entitled to one good scare.

So yeah, no one will have a problem with a F13 viewing in May, but October makes it feel so much more... at home. My Halloween often consists Of NOTLD, TCM, Psycho and Fulci's Zombie. All gold.

Having said that, my wife/son and I did an all Halloween Christmas tree a few Decembers ago, and that ruled pretty hard too.

18. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I've never attempted to watch 31 horror movies in October before. I'm sure I've gotten close, but this year I'm going to aim to watch something every day. Scarecrow Video put together a Psychotronic Challenge for this year and I'm going to follow along with that. You have to watch at least one movie a day that fits into one of the categories they selected, all based on the subgenres in their Psychotronic Room. You can find the checklist here:
    http://blog.scarecrow.com/the-scarecrow-video-psychotronic-challenge/#more-3290. This'll be a fun way for me to work through my "to watch" pile and my planned Texas Chainsaw marathon as 5 of the movies will fit into various categories. So if I make it through everything I guess my record for October will be 33 films, the Psychotronic Challenge plus the remaining 2 TCM films.

maskull, Natas and Workshed like this.
  19. loutoad23

loutoad23 Active Member

my picks (subject to change)

Something wicked this way comes 1983

The Night Stalker (1972 film)

The Hills Have Eyes 1977

Friday the 13th the final chapter

Silent hill 2006

island of lost souls 1932

28 days later

the creation of the humanoids

Food of the gods

evilspeak

Forbidden world

Donnie darko

Wizards 1978

future kill

scream 1996

White zombie

The video dead

Fright night

Black Christmas

At midnight ill take your soul

Nightmares 1983

Terror at red wolf inn

Demonoid

Its alive

Doctor butcher, MD

Slumber party massacre

Once bitten

American werewolf in London

Warlock 1987

Night of the living dead 1967

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    maskull and fattyjoe37 like this.
  20. Funktion

Funktion Member

I usually don’t make big plans regarding the movies I watch in October, except for Halloween night. I basically watch whatever I’m in the mood.

But since I have the huge majority of my collection in boxes (long story short: I was moving to another house, it needed further repairs, so I currently have most of my things in two places, boxed), and it’s almost impossible to find anything in the middle of this mess, I will be limited to the items I recently purchased and received, plus some more that I have on some terribly disorganized shelves.

I’ll probably end up watching/re-watching the following films (in no particular order), plus whatever I can find, and/or I’m in the mood to watch:

Psycho
    Psycho II
    Psycho III
    Psycho IV: The Beginning
    Bates Motel (1987 TV Film)
    Psycho (1998 remake)
    Road Games (1981)
    Green Room
    Stephen King's It
    Pieces (aka Mil gritos tiene la noche)
    Blood Rage
    Your Vice Is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key