The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread - 2016 Edition!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2016.

1. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 17TH:

167741-d2.jpg 165692-d1.jpg

2. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Time to catch up with what I watched while traveling last week.

Keep in mind I was mostly limited to what was on the plane, or what I could watch with colleagues and friends before falling asleep from work/jet-lag.

The Conjuring 2 (2016)
    [​IMG]

I really enjoyed the first but found this to be a mess. It was filled with OMG TURN AROUND 'scares' like the above that result in nothing. Spooky! And after the 12th time...maybe not so spooky. Maybe just boring. The leads used their best bug-eyed acting throughout, and that was about it for their range. The lead kid was laughably annoying--her teeth were truly the most frightening aspect of the film. The nun was interesting, but was not given much room to develop.

The Green Room (2016)
    [​IMG]

Some genuine surprises here, and I love Sir Patrick Stewart. But--maybe it was the jet-lag--I was mostly bored by this. I know! It got great buzz on this site, but I think much of it was lost of me. Tension can only be built for so long before it grows tedious. A story needs to know when to stretch that tension and when to finally deliver the action. The Green Room stretched the tension a little thin for me, and the action did deliver--but by then I was tapping my foot. I will give this a rewatch to see if my mood changes.

The Neon Demon (2016)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A treat for the eyes and the brain! This was one messed-up ride, filled with glorious, cultish imagery and models getting weird, very weird. If you liked Black Swan but wish it had more blood, then this is for you. Not for the squeamish or politically correct.

Edge of Winter (2016)
    [​IMG]

Not a lot to this one: estranged father takes his two sons for the weekend, and shitty-ness ensues! Do you hate your dad? Do you not mind plot holes? This is your movie! All others need not bother.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  3. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Oct. 17th

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)

[​IMG]

Giving my gf a tour through genre classics, and we decided that this was spooky enough to count as an October watch. I forget how bonkers Dreyfus' character gets here. It's really uncomfortable how he ditches his family (and Teri Garr!) for his obsession, even if it's not 100% his decision. The nonchalance is what's disturbing, especially when we see the flipside: the mother character uses the obsession but places her son first. Spielberg could have done more with this polarity, but of course that doesn't interest him. What does interest him is BLINKING AND FLASHING LIGHTS! And I'm sure something has been written about this before, but were the aliens proto-E.T.? Strong resemblance.

Rocker10, maskull and indrid13 like this.
  4. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

Krampus -

This is a strange one. It's a Christmas horror story. Perhaps better suited for winter. But also maybe a bit too dark for the holidays. In fact, I was concerned with how dark it was going as I thought I knew how it had to end because I assumed most Christmas stories of this sort have the same type of ending. Also, I didn't know Krampus was based off a real myth creature. It's a very good story and one I recommend seeing. Like Trick r Treat by the same director, Krampus is very good at establishing the season. And I thought Krampus was better than Trick r Treat until the about the halfway point. Also, I love the first shots of Krampus. I can't believe we still haven't seen a similar scene like that in a Batman movie. The actress who plays the mother is cool too. I've seen her in a few movies and tv shows before. I think the movie is probably perfect to watch right after Thanksgiving but way before Christmas.

Channel Zero TV - Episode 1

For some reason the reveal didn't scare me that much. I don't know if it was knowing that the show is not just a one off episode. At least going from the trailer. Or that it just wasn't framed with as much sinister intent as required. If a Twilight Zone or other old type show did this sort of reveal, I would have trouble sleeping. Still, I'm looking forward to the next episodes. The wiki says this will be two seasons. I do like the two creatures they showed so far. They are very creepy. One of which I've seen images before on the Internet as a real condition to some extent. Which does freak me out. And I always like spooky things going on in small towns.

5. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

Oct 17th-

Werewolf Double Bill

[​IMG]

Silver Bullet (1985) Always a fun film to watch. This one holds a lot of good memories.

[​IMG]

Late Phases (2014) Nick Damici is great as the gruff Charles Bronson like vet. The only drawback with this one is the werewolf itself looks kind of bad. But the story more then makes up for it.

Film count so far 32 movies

6. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Oct. 18th.

I Was A Teenage Werewolf (1957)-I was in the mood for something completely different that I had not seen in awhile.
    It's a teen angst melodrama with a lycanthropic theme thrown in courtesy of an unscrupulous hypnotherapist. Michael Landon does his best James Dean as the tortured youth with a hormone driven issue that really screws up his complexion at the worst possible times.
    The film is pretty much the definition of a fifties drive-in teen oriented horror and really does not work outside of that setting, I kept hoping that an 'Elvira' type horror host would break in to liven up the proceedings but that never happened. It's a compact running time of 75 minutes, but at that there is no creature action until the 45 minute mark and most of the film is dullsville. The film reaches its nadir with a wacky, nutsy kookoo song and dance routine called 'Eeny Meeny Miny Moe' and for me it was all downhill from there.
    I'm sure many have fond childhood memories of this one, I never saw it until I was well into my thirties so nostalgia is not a factor. The thing that surprised me the most this time out is how much the make-up effects reminded me of 'The Boy Who Cried Werewolf', a film I actually do love. It's too dated and boring for me to have any appeal outside of fifties drive-in nostalgia. 2/10.

Hocus Pocus (1993)-First time watch.
    Wow, I really loved this one. While not particularly frightening or laugh out loud funny, it just has a pervasive feel of Halloween from beginning to end. The Salem, MA locations help quite a bit. I'm not a huge fan of Bette Midler, but she really delivered in this film, I think it's my favorite performance of hers. Sarah Jessica Parker as well delivers a charismatic and infectious performance. I loved the 'Billy' character too. Should be a seasonal family favorite on everyone's viewing list. 8/10.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    Workshed, Rocker10, maskull and 2 others like this.
  7. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Graveyard Shift (1990)

[​IMG]

Hands down one of my all time favorite "guilty pleasure" horror films. And I can't really explain why. :confused: First of all it's a great setting imho. Plus any film that has a "task" for the characters as part of the story I like. See Session 9 as another example with the asbestos removal parts. Stephen Macht as the crazy boss is a hoot. You got Andrew Divoff. I just love it and make no apologies for it. Only gripe, I wish Brad Dourif was in it more.

P.S. - Thank you Percy Rodriquez , one of the long but not forgotten best in business.

Halloween with the New Addams Family (1977)

[​IMG]

Zero explanation. Pure nostalgia. Just see it and thank me later. Has every original actor/actress from original show except Grandma.

Workshed, Rocker10, maskull and 4 others like this.
  8. loutoad23

loutoad23 Active Member

AFHS is on hulu and its amazing

baggio likes this.
  9. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I might not get to it until November, but I'm going to add Graveyard Shift to my stack of horror to watch. I love that movie too. Thanks for reminding me, Baggio.

10. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

Right there with you, I love Graveyard Shift.

baggio likes this.
  11. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 18th
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

42) Night of the Living Dead (1968)

43) Dawn of the Dead (1978)

44) Day of the Dead (1985)

Rocker10, msw7, indrid13 and 3 others like this.
  12. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

This may be my Halloween night line-up.

Hatchetwarrior and indrid13 like this.
  13. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

October 18th:

OFF THE BEATEN PATH IN TEXAS

[​IMG] [​IMG]

14. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

That Eaten Alive poster is fantastic! I had to look at the credits at the bottom to figure out what movie it was. Too bad the movie itself is....not so fantastic.

15. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

October 18 - An American Werewolf in London
    I got the new blu release and I have to say I think it is a very good transfer. I thought it looked good and the movie still holds up today.
    I am not maybe as high on this movie as some- it is not my favorite werewolf movie, not even in my personal top 3- but it is still great. 4/5

16. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 18TH:

205458-d0.jpg 206487-d0.jpg

17. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 18

4 again today bringing my total to 65

1. Shaun of the Dead (Blu) 2004 - Sometimes you just need some good humor in your marathon. Shaun of the Dead is perfect for that. Been quite awhile since my last watch, it was time.

2. Waxwork (Blu) 1988 - The new Vestron set showed up today. I watched this last year as part of a 4 movie DVD set. The new Blu from Lionsgate has some decent stuff. The movie is great, but the picture quality is a bit soft. It still works but I guess I thought it would be a little better.

3. Waxwork II (Blu) 1992 - I actually had not seen this movie. It's amazing how many movies I have missed through the years. Just when I think I have seen just about everything, I find plenty more that I haven't seen. Picture quality on this one is of similar quality as the first. I liked the complete randomness of this movie, especially towards the end. It gets crazy. Love Bruce Campbell in this as well. Definite hints of Ash.

4. Voodoo Island (DVD) 1957 - I usually hit this one every year. It's one that I was intrigued by as a kid and was able to get the double film midnight movie set a few years ago. Kind of corny and hasn't held up well through the years, but I'm a Karloff fan and this is one of his less popular roles that I did like.

18. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Eaten Alive has a bunch of alternate movie titles and multiple posters. That combination of poster & title I used above is my favorite: Legend of the Bayou.

I don't care for this poster which is often used to represent the film:

[​IMG]

19. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #21:
    The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986)
    Rewatch (Scream Factory Blu)
    *** (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    18. Host With the Most Day. Watch something with a horror host /hostess in it.

Watched what I remember to be the best sequel of the series followed by the deleted scene featuring Joe Bob Briggs.

Rocker10, maskull, dave13 and 2 others like this.
  20. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Oct. 18th

Southbound (2016)

[​IMG]

Given some of the feedback on this board regarding Southbound, I went in with tempered expectations. And I was ghoulishly surprised! Enjoyed the hell out of this one. Each story had creepy elements, and the ambiguity played very well without ever feeling unfinished. Meanwhile, the bookend piece ended up having more significance than most anthology bookends, which, again, was a cool surprise.

The last vignette, with the family, left me gutted, while the story about the band and the cult was done exactly right--not too long, a few laughs, a few good-looking women, and some awesome ritual elements. The only story that felt undercooked was the hospital one, but goddamn did it ever get grimy, wow. For me, this is what October Horror is all about: finding those gems that play perfectly for you, and Southbound certainly did for me.

I also liked this alternate artwork:

[​IMG]