The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread - 2016 Edition!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Natas

Natas Theres no such thing as the boogyman

2. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Instead of (just) pictures, this year I thought I'd try something new. Video:

Movie #1, around 1:15 AM -
    Retro Puppet Master (1999 / directed by David DeCoteau) - [​IMG]

Surprisingly ambitious and densely plotted, in spite of its' French period setting which I'm sure was a bad choice and leads to all kinds of phoniness. Meanwhile, I had a fairly enjoyable time trying and failing to pay attention to what the hell was meant to be going on. I didn't care for the "new" set of puppets they tried to introduce, even though they're supposed to be past prototypes. There's a lot of character conflict on the love interest's side that is completely dropped with no explanation. (Her father is a super bastard. But he just up and disappears without notice.) Greg Sestero from The Room is the new Young Toulon.

This seriously could have sucked a lot more. I'm not sure where most of the interesting ideas here are being lifted. I suspect it's The Mummy. (The thing about making people have nightmares.) But what really was fun were the sets (those train cars are HUGE) and the music by John Massari of Killer Klowns from Outer Space. The theme he created for the 'love' scenes between Toulon and the woman from Geneva (?) sound an awful like what would later be Goldfrapp's "Time Out from the World."

It definitely isn't any better than parts 1-3 and 5. But I definitely still like it better than the first 3 films.

DISCLAIMER: This video idea is currently an experiment. Not sure what I'll do with it later or how it may change.

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Gee, I guess I'm starting. I cheated a little bit, starting on the 30th. But my DVR is getting to less than 20% available, and I recorded a couple of movies off of TCM last weekend that I wanted to get to:

1. Night Train to Terror (1985). 2/5

Well, Creepshow or Dead of Night don't have to worry about this one muscling in on their claims to be the best horror anthology ever. It's pretty weak, and some of the stories don't make sense (I believe they were edited-down versions of feature films that never found distribution). The first one was the most non-sensical of the three, but at least it had the best gore and nudity. After that it was just bad masks and stop-motion effects. I did like the cameo of the UCSD library. Also, this had the Vinegar Syndrome logo at the end, hopefully they're releasing more movies to TCM. And damn we wore some weird shit in the 80s!

2. Horror Express (1974) 3.5/5

Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing, what more could you want? How about a plot on a train (I'm a sucker for movies set on trains) that echoes Carpenter's The Thing (8 years earlier, of course), zombies, and a little Runaway Train. Felt like it was a little longer than the 90 minute run time, and the obvious miniatures used for the train exterior shots were kind of distracting, but overall a fun little movie with some horror greats. Glad I finally saw it.

4. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I watch horror almost every day, no matter what day of the year, so October makes no big difference to me.
    Though, during the Halloween weekend, I usually go for the Universal and Drive In classics from the 30:s-50:s, or something in the same style :)

5. Natas

Natas Theres no such thing as the boogyman

201510_1128_dccie_sm.jpg

dave13 likes this.
  6. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

[​IMG]

Movie #1:

Silver Bullet (1985): First movie of my horror-a-thon. Always the first. I love werewolves, I love the souped up wheel chair, I love racist and drunk Gary Busey, and I have a total nostalgia crush on Megan Follows. I also love the reverend's dream sequence and the making of the silver bullet.

Rocker10, Hatchetwarrior and dave13 like this.
  7. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Movie #2, around 10:00 AM -
    Virus (1999 / directed by John Bruno) - [​IMG]

Typical big dumb late 90's action sci-fi horror type thing. I didn't see most of these movies when they were coming out. Characters are hollow as you can get. The monster threat lays somewhere between Alien, Hardware, Leviathan, and the killer bug robots from Starship Troopers. Not much time is spent explaining anything. Just clues. It's not exactly fun but it's a very easy watch. But also a very who-cares one. You'd have to have absolutely nothing better to watch. Jamie Lee Curtis is probably here because the women get very take-charge roles but they don't have anything else going on. They're as one-note as the men, who are all real non-entities. Not much gore. The music is dull.

Meh.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    Gore Lunatic, maskull and dave13 like this.
  8. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Episode 1 of ash vs evil dead, great first episode looking forward to the rest of the series.

9. maskull

[​IMG]

Movie #2:

Stephen King's IT (1990): The story is great, the performances aren't bad, especially the kids, Tim Curry actually manages to be terrifying at times and is the best part of this. It's just too long and stuffed with scenes that aren't necessary. I get it was a miniseries and they needed to stretch it out, but trying to watch it in one sitting was almost too much for me. Still though I think it's better than it had any right to be. It mostly works and has held up for me after all these years. I just think it would be better with some cutting.

I never realized that Emily Perkins played young Beverly. That was a nice surprise.

10. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

1. Tales of Halloween (Dave Parker, Darren Lynn Bousman, Adam Gierasch, Paul Solet, Axelle Carolyn, Lucky McKee, Andrew Kasch, John Skipp, Mike Mendez, Ryan Schifrin, & Neil Marshall, 2015)

Structurally, this bears more resemblance to The ABC's of Death than any other conventional anthology. But the stories almost all feel much more substantial than the ones in ABC's, which felt very throw-away.

Sweet Tooth (5/5)
    The movie really hits the ground running with what is arguably the strongest entry on offer. The tone, the pace, the effects, the atmosphere, are all fantastic.
    The Night Billy Raised Hell (5/5)
    The second story is just as entertaining as the first. The humour here is great, and Barry Bostwick is fantastic as Mr. Abbadon.
    Trick (4/5)
    This seemed kind of one note for the first half, but it's second half really brings it up, and it's nice and short. It works.
    The Weak and the Wicked (3.5/5)
    I liked this one, but it had a few weaknesses. The final reveal is a little underwhelming. But the lead villain has a great screen presence. She's the best thing here.
    Grim Grinning Ghost (4/5)
    The cameos at the beginning are really fun, and once again, the fact that this is pretty short makes it work really well.
    Ding Dong (3/5)
    I've really liked what Lucky McKee has done before, and Sick Girl was one of my favorite episodes of Masters of Horror. So this was a let down. The makeup effects are well used, but the story falls completely flat.
    This Means War (2.5/5)
    This is such a mixed bag. The editing is great, and Dana Gould is funny. The ending is...decent. But it feels very insubstantial.
    Friday the 31st (3.5/5)
    Thank god this one was short, because I don't think the gag could have supported even another 30 seconds. As it stands, though, it IS short, and as such, the one trick that this has to play, works really well. It's a pretty funny concept.
    The Ransom of Rusty Rex (3/5)
    It's well made, but unfortunately not interesting at all. John Landis' cameo is the highpoint of this one.
    Bad Seed (4.5/5)
    They chose a good one to go out on. The idea is great, it's entertainingly nasty and has a great ending. The only weak link is some occasionally unimpressive creature effects.

Hugely recommend this one. It's perfect seasonal viewing. It was damn expensive to order this SE shipped to Canada, but I'm glad I did it.

Overall: 4.5/5 (although I know that that isn't the actual average rating based on my individual ratings)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  11. maskull

Thanks for the review. This is one I've been wanting to check out because it has a great list of directors, but as you said it's pretty pricey. I think I may have to go for it when I get the money.

dave13 likes this.
  12. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 1st
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

1) The Hallow: The definition of a middle of the road film would be this right here. There aren’t many horror films surrounding Irish folklore, so I was intrigued to see this to say the least. Instead what I got was a muddled combination of a creature feature and a deadly infection film. The lore surrounding the woods is never properly explained outside of the clichéd “Them woods be evil!” jargon from the supporting cast. The practical effects are very good with unique creature designs, and the final forty of so minutes of the film are a giant cat and mouse game between the protagonists and the creatures. The downfall here is the really bad storytelling, lack of tension or atmosphere, and a poor use of the supporting cast who are there just for plot convenience. (5/10)

2) Preservation: An underwhelming woodland thriller that had all the potential in the world. The characters were well rounded and had depth, but the earlier bait and switch killed what interest I had in the film.
    It’s not the crazy brother, but a group of masked teens stalking them.
    If this film went the more psychological route, this could have been something really interesting, but instead it is just another bland stalk and slash thriller. (4/10)

3) The Interior: I have mixed feeling with this one because there is a lot to like about it. You have fantastic direction, a charming lead actor, and a beautiful film score. My big problem with this is the lack of “horror.” Hell, I’m not sure I would even classify this as one. Sure, sometimes the mystery can lead to a great sense of atmosphere and dread, but something just felt missing and I can’t put my finger on it. I felt there could have been a greater stress on the ambiance of the woods and a sense of isolation that was seemly lacking here. The runtime is short, so it doesn’t over stay its welcome, but I don’t see myself revisiting this. (6/10)

13. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

That is too funny - I loooove Shipyard Pumpkinhead beer! I had it when I had to travel for work to Connecticut and it is my favorite pumpkin beer. They just started selling it at Meijer's locally this year so it is really easy to find now! I am drinking one right now and going to watch Chopping Mall in a few <:

14. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

Started with three today!
    1. Trick or Treats
    - I always come back to this one and it always pretty much sucks, but there are little touches of it I like. Peter Jason is entertaining and there is a bit of Halloween atmosphere, but not nearly enough. If you haven't seen it, I cannot honestly say you would find much to really like! (4/10)
    2. Paranormal Activity
    -I told myself that I was going to go through the whole series this year, but the first one just does not do it for me at all. I do remember that I had thought it was actually the weakest of the series from the ones I have sen so far, so I will at least give the second a chance before abandoning this idea. (3/10)
    3. The Possession of Michael King
    _Now this was a fairly disturbing movie. The main character descends into complete doom a bit too quickly perhaps, but overall gives a very strong performance. I can't say that you will be all that surprised by the events that occur, but this one did get under my skin a bit. Finally one I can recommend! (7/10)
    I am not going to make the same mistake this year and wait until it's too late to watch some surefire hits, so the next few days will hopefully heat up around here!

15. maskull

[​IMG]
    Movies #3 & 4:

The Mask of Fu Manchu (1932): Not really a horror but with some aspects. The best thing about this is Boris Karloff and Myrna Loy seemingly having a great time playing evil Asians...yes, this is pretty racist....and the wonderful sets, costumes, and speeches that Karloff gets to make about destroying all the white people. Pretty much everyone else in this movie is pretty bland and forgettable.

Mark of the Vampire (1935): I can't help but feel that the entire movie was shot just for the joke that Bela Lugosi delivers in the final scene.

There's a lot of scenes of people running around, tying weeds to door handles, or arguing about whether vampires are real, but the only time that I was really into this was when the vampires were on screen. Tod Browning knows how to shoot horror and set dress horror that actually is effectively creepy. Too bad that most of the film is just a seemingly plot-less mess. With a surprise ending that sort of explains things, but not really. And the aforementioned final Bela scene which is almost enough to save everything and made me laugh out loud. So yeah, there's at least that.

16. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

October 1
    [​IMG]

Without Warning (1980)

17. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 1

Started off kind of classic today. I had actually kind of started early with a couple of streamers with 'Stopped Dead' which was pretty goofy for the most part. Grabbed a viewing of 'Big Bad Wolf' and found that one much more entertaining.

For today, 3 movies.

1. The Monster of Piedras Blancas (Blu) 1958- Found this to be a fun monster flick that had a bit more edge for it's time. The Blu looked pretty good, but was pretty bare bones.

2. The Mummy (DVD) 1932- Great classic movie. No idea why in the hell I watched this on DVD when I had the Universal Monster collection on Blu. I grabbed my legacy monster pack and watched it out of that. I did pop the Blu in after the fact and it was a pretty big improvement quality-wise. Seen this one many times and it's always a fun ride. Karloff is a favorite of mine.

3. Chopping Mall (Blu) 1986- The recent Vestron Collectors series version. Just showed up today and I dove right in. Picture quality is decent, not perfect obviously, but I am happy with it and the set overall is really good. I did see where this movie was cut by around 20 minutes and no idea what the status is of the cut footage is, but it would be cool if it did exist to see what was dropped. I thought the lost scene was interesting and they seemed like they thought it should have been filmed, but to me it almost would have felt odd or out of place. Had fun with this set. Love the whole feel of the 80's era.

On to day 2!

Gore Lunatic and maskull like this.
  18. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Oct 1. The Shallows. (2016). Not really horror, but a better than average shark film. Great suspense and beautiful cinematography, some shaky cam reality type footage thrown in but not too much. Blake Lively drives this one beautifully and is quite credible as the stranded and tormented heroine. The film is somewhat derailed by a typical contemporary Hollywood ending that is pretty implausible and overblown, but the first hour was very solid.
    Of course, Blake Lively is not too hard on the eyes either.
    Nice for a first time watch, not something I'd be in a rush to revisit.
    7/10.

Gore Lunatic and maskull like this.
  19. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Aaaaaand THIS is how you start OCTOBER horror movie viewing!!!!

QUOTE="YottNik, post: 820306, member: 6376"]October 1
    [​IMG]

Without Warning (1980)
    [/QUOTE]

YottNik likes this.
  20. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Oct 1st-
    Started the month with Child's Play and the first two sequels. First time I saw Part 2 and 3 since the '90's. I think the 2nd one is my favorite of the first three. Three is kind of meh. Not much seems to happen for long periods of time. The climax was pretty good though.

maskull likes this.