The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread - 2016 Edition!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Night of the Creeps

One of my absolute favorites. Perfect blend of 50s creature feature and 80s teen comedy.

2. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 30

1 Day to go! 4 films today. 116 total.

1. Dr. Phibes Rises Again (Blu) 1972 - Enjoyed the 2 Phibes films. Definite quirkiness in both but it seems these movies in various ways inspired horror movies later on. Definite re-watch material here.

2. Inferno (Blu) 1980 - More Argento! Very good film that requires paying attention. Liked the opening sequence with its imagery. Couldn't get this disc to play on my Oppo. After watching it on an alternate player, I basically cleared the players cache just to try to fix the Oppo. It worked. Odd thing was, I opened that disc from new and it was the only disc affected. Worked great after. Go figure.

3. Death Valley (Blu) 1982 - Good mystery type film with some horror elements...and Peter Billingsly from A Christmas Story. Just like the pace of this film and the storytelling. Second watch of this film for me.

4. The Final Terror (Blu) 1983 - I had forgot that this film had to be saved via films from collectors as the originals were apparently lost. Fun film it's own way. Far from perfect, but in horror, sometimes that is a good thing. Scream did a pretty good job with what they had to work with.

I am looking forward to extra features at this point. Been steamrolling through movies this month, but I really want to check out the bonus stuff as well. That will come after Halloween.

3. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Oct. 29th

Waxwork (1988)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

'Velcome to zee vax-verks!' Still tough to believe this got the blu treatment, but I am so pleased with the transfer and special features. Upon my Nth rewatch of this film, I noticed finer details, like the pentagram in the vampire's dining room window, and the harmonica player inexplicably in the scene where the football player calls China's house. The editing for this film is sharp, keeping the vignettes well-spaced between exposition and action. There is one misstep--when China flees the blood-soaked vampire basement and somehow ends up back in the dining room? A little disjointed, but hey, this is fucking WAXWORK we're talkin' about!

Waxwork (1988) [w/ commentary by director Anthony Hickox and actor Zach Galligan]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

GREAT COMMENTARY TRACK! Both Hickox and Galligan are funny, self-deprecating, and insightful. That final battle sequence with the horde of monsters and villagers? Filmed in 24 hours because Hickox was behind schedule and the Completion Bond forced him to finish shooting the next day. Why are all the characters set in the 80s but dressed as if they were in the 60s? Hickox's strange but deliberate vision of 'cool.' And Hickox appears both in this and the sequel, which I did not realize. Galligan has great stories about how he originally did NOT want to do the film, how Hickox throws legendary Hollywood parties, and more. It really is a delight for Waxwork fans. Recommended!

Waxwork II: Lost in Time (1992)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let's keep this train a-rollin'! WWII gets off to a rockier start than I remembered, with some pretty poor acting by the new Sarah. The weird interaction with her father, the trial...I dunno. But then it kicks in with an awesome homage to Frankenstein, a shitty homage to Aliens (that's so bad it's good), and so on. This film gets long in the tooth by the time Carradine shows up, but who cares? The ending kicks all sort of butt, there's a Bruce Campbell extended cameo, Drew Barrymore, a Dawn of the Dead homage, and plenty more fun for horror nerds. And it looks great on blu, if not a little washed out.

The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

[​IMG]

Decided to class it up with a classic at the end of the night. What a film. Jodie Foster is outstanding. Anthony Hopkins is everything you want in a villain. Ted Levine is terrifying. Chris Isaak is...in this? Ha ha, such a strange choice for that role but okay, let's put Chris Isaak in this. Apparently George A. Romero has an uncredited cameo!

4. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Oct. 30th

Five Dolls for an August Moon (1970)

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Not even a bevy of Italian babes could save this Mario Bava film, YIKES! Having just seen A Bay of Blood, the plot similarities were too much to ignore: group of wealthy colleagues off one another in their desire to become the sole owner of X (in this case, a 'formula.'). Ehhh, not scary, the kills weren't great, and it took forever.

American Psycho (2000)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'd somehow never seen this, so the first-time viewing was a great one. The pitch black humor, the 80s everything, the exploration of Huey Lewis & the News before axe-murdering, ha ha. I laughed and squirmed throughout.

5. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Movie 94 & 95:

Graveyard Shift (1990): Mostly carried by Stephen Macht's Warwick total psycho a**hole character, to the point he's endlessly entertaining. Also Brad Dourif as the exterminator and some other people you've seen before in other stuff. The location is great, the rats are...well, rats(!!), and the whole thing just feels grimy. I basically watch this every year. It's not a classic, but it's a fun choice for an October watch.

Night of the Living Dead (1968): To this day my biggest problem with this movie is the gas pump scene. Seriously, her coat got stuck??? Most of the people in this movie probably deserved to die because they were total idiots....but I adore the movie anyway. Pretty happy with the Japanese blu ray as well.

6. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

7. maskull

Movies I Watched When My Niece Came Down For a Visit:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Movie 96, 97, 98, 99, & 100:

Ghostbusters (1984): My niece was down so I had to find something Halloween-esque but not too scary. We started off with this. She's seen it before and said she likes it, but part way through I think she started to get bored and then asked if we could watch Tremors instead. I reminded her about the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man part of the movie, so we stuck it out and she liked the ending. Especially William Atherton getting creamed with marshmallow goo.

Tremors (1990): Well my niece wanted it, even though she'd just watched it for the first time a couple of months ago. She kind of creeps me out a bit. She always wants to know when people are going to die and seems a little disappointed when some of them don't. Perhaps future gorehound?

Tremors 3: Back To Perfection (2001): The niece wanted to skip part 2 because she's already seen it so we moved on to this one. I don't think she liked it except for the graboid scenes, Burt getting eaten, and the last little bit with the junk yard and the exploding assblasters. Otherwise she looked pretty bored and I wasn't sure she'd even be interested in part 4.

Tremors 4: The Legend Begins (2004): She really enjoyed it. She was glued to the screen, helped by the cool mini graboids, the decently high body count, the likable characters and the horses.

I'm just glad there's no assblasters, less cgi, and a decent (non-techno) score. I like westerns and I like Tremors movies so I like this installment. In fact, I'd say this is now my second favourite of the series. At least until I give part 5 another viewing.

Gremlins (1984): The final movie that I watched with my niece for this visit. She's seen it before so was excited to watch it again....rapt attention the whole way through, with a giggle when the gremlin exploded in the microwave and a "Yay! He's in the pool!" when Stripe jumps into the pool to create more gremlins. She also liked Stripe's final melt and Gizmo's "bye, bye woof, woof".

8. Jamie

Jamie Member

It totally slipped my mind till now that I could be posting in this thread. But almost everything I've watched lately have been things I've seen a bunch of times, so I don't have a lot of interesting things to say. Sorry.

On Friday I watched Halloween again, that's something I usually do around this time of year. Yesterday I watched an Incredible Hulk episode (the 'football' one with Barbara Leigh), then I saw parts of Halloween III and The Abominable Dr. Phibes on tv.

And a couple hours ago I re-watched Dawn Of The Mummy! I hadn't seen in it a while so I had forgotten that the guy who plays 'Rick' gives an over the top performance. And I say that in a good way because he had me laughing a few different times. Anyway, I've always thought this is kind of an underrated movie, the mummies are unique and they don't skimp with the mummy attacks.

9. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

I watched Demonic Toys, Salem's Lot, Lady in White, Hatchet & Dawn of the Dead 78 two days ago. Today I'll run through a bunch of Myers movies, obviously.

I couldn't believe how completely mediocre Salem's Lot is. Maybe the book is better with more detail - at 3 hours the movie sure as hell should have been too, but it was SO derivative of Dracula that it's not even funny. Salem's Lot really took the sail out of my marathon and frankly, I'm disappointed as it's one of the last and certainly the most well known King flick I hadn't seen yet. I like to save the odd movie so that even at 31, I get a new (to me) old ass King movie or, for instance, I have 2 Fulci movies I've not seen and saved so I feel I still have something left to experience.

Well, Salem's Lot could have been watched years ago on a rainy afternoon paying half attention. The disappointment was in so many people seem to love it, so I truly went in with some expectations. I normally don't do that, but I thought with King and good word of mouth, nothing could go wrong! Give me the 90s miniseries' of King any day over that. I can't take 3 hours of predictability.

10. maskull

My Day With The Wolves:

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Movie 101, 102, 103, 104, & 105:

An American Werewolf In London (1981): It's funny, it's a little sexy, the scary bits are actually scary and the wolf transformation scenes are the best I've ever seen. This is the movie that made me love werewolf movies and also helped to start me on my way to loving horror movies.

Howl (2015): The werewolves look more like something from Lord of the Rings than a horror film but I dig the setting, being out in the middle of a forest on a broke down train. The effects (eyes!!) and gore are a high point, though I could've used more of the latter. Not exactly groundbreaking stuff but a fun werewolf flick. Nice to see there's still some good ones being made.

Game of Werewolves (2011): A silly but fun Spanish werewolf horror/comedy. Not all of the jokes landed but they really started to be hits more often as the movie went along and the werewolves look pretty good. Especially when they're leaping through the air. Kind of bad ass....part frog/part werewolf?

The Rats Are Coming! The Werewolves Are Here! (1972): Most of this movie is either horrible people arguing with each other or long, awkward, time-padding exposition heavy dialogue....that sounds like it was recorded in a tiled bathroom. The things that make me happy are any scene with the "evil" middle sister (going shopping for rats, torturing her brother, how she deals with blackmail, trying to return a purchase), and the final five-ish minutes of werewolf melee, complete with a surprise(?) ending. There is so much gold in this movie that it makes up for all the sloggy dialogue-heavy parts. I think there must be something wrong with me because I really enjoyed the craziness/incompetence of this film.

Dog Soldiers (2002): Great freakin' werewolves(!!!!) in a Night of the Living Dead kind of setting and no real draggy parts. I have seen this so many times now and will see it many times in the future.

11. maskull

[​IMG] Happy Halloween Everyone!!!!

Jamie, Workshed, Angelman and 5 others like this.
  12. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Well, must attend to my Halloween night duties so the filmfest is over for this year. I will continue watching more genre films in the days to come.

Oct. 31. Carnival of Souls (1962). A woman is overcome by strange and ghostly visions after a car accident.
    Great film which betrays its ultra low budget origins, very entertaining and creepy. To me the subdued atmosphere of the black & white is akin to Romero's Night of the Living Dead. Filmed in part at Utah's notoriously haunted Saltair Pavillion, a few years after its closure, it's a location that is eerie enough on its own. A sort of desolate amusement park vibe. While not a film I watch often, 'Carnival' never fails to entertain with its Twilight Zonish surreal quality. 8/10.

Workshed, Angelman, indrid13 and 3 others like this.
  13. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I always start with Nightmare Before Christmas on Halloween - so watching that now waiting for the trick or treaters. More movies to follow....

indrid13, Rocker10 and maskull like this.
  14. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

Happy Halloween all!

Last 2 days I've watched Rob Zombies Halloween, Halloween 4, Tucker and Dale vs the Evil, All Hallows Even, Exorcist 3, and Idle Hands. So far so good, I hope everyone has had the time to enjoy themselves!

15. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

October 31 - for Halloween I went with all winners:

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) - true classic- have to watch every Halloween
    5/5

Frankenstein (1931) - not my personal favorite of the
    Universal monsters - but still a great movie classic. ( I still put Dracula, The Wolfman and
    Creature from the Black Lagoon ahead of the Frankenstein movies - but they are all 5/5 movies)
    5/5

Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
    I like the first movie and this one about the same -both classics of course
    5/5

Night of the Demons 2 (1994)
    I am a huge fan of Night of the Demons - and I have always thought
    the sequel was just as good - just a little different feel to it.
    Cristi Harris and Zoe Trilling alone are enough to recommend this one,
    but seeing Christine Taylor (in an early role) and Jennifer Rhodes (who
    I loved in Heathers) is a treat too. I feel the effects overall were really
    well done.
    5/5

16. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

night of the living dead 1968.jpg

I'm still spinning my old Elite DVD after all these years--can't wait to have that new HD scan they've been promising! An all-time favorite!

army of darkness.jpg

Bruce is so damn sexy/corny. I need to get crackin' in Season 1 of the TV show!

Workshed, maskull, indrid13 and 2 others like this.
  17. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

OCTOBER 31st

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  18. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 31

Well, it's a wrap. And what a fun one at that! 4 films and final total is 120 films which is my new high. Not sure I'll be able to beat that as that was quite a haul.

1. The City of the Living Dead (Blu) 1980 - Hadn't taken in much Fulci this month so I decided to get through the gates of hell trilogy. This one is decent, but probably my second favorite of the trilogy.

2. The Beyond (Blu) 1981 - My favorite of the trilogy. Many things just worked with this movie. The Grindhouse package is awesome as well. I do also own the tin that Anchor Bay did some years ago for this title. Great Fulci movie!

3. House by the Cemetary (Blu) 1981 - It was still decent in its own way, but Bob.... the dubbing with this character is annoying and tends to be a bit distracting to me overall. Not as obnoxious as Michael in Burial Ground but a close second.

4. Halloween (Blu) 1978 - No explanation needed here. Perfect movie to close this years marathon.

Well, Happy Halloween folks! It was fun sharing with everyone and getting tips to stuff I didn't know about. You think you got it all figured out and then you realize just how much you don't. I chose to stay away from most of the common watches like the Halloween (with the exception of the original) series, Friday the 13th, etc. I don't watch Nightmare on Elm Street as much so I chose that as my franchise this year. I really wanted to focus on more obscure stuff, Italian horror, and stuff that you all were going to share. It worked out really well. I will be doing some bonus content burns in the days ahead, but after 120 films, it's time for a bit of a break.

Keep the genre alive and stay safe, and we'll do it again next year!

Natas, Workshed, hots4 and 8 others like this.
  19. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Wait...120? Just this month???? I'm so jealous.

Rocker10, indrid13 and othervoice1 like this.
  20. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

Oct 30th-

[​IMG]

The Beyond (1981) Classic Italian horror. Hadn't seen it in a few years. My last film for the month. For Halloween I'm going to do something different this year.

Film count for the month 53 movies

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016