The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread - 2016 Edition!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2016.

1. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #2:
    It (1990)
    First time viewing (Blu)
    **1/2 (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    2. Mad(e) for TV day. Any feature length that was made for TV.

2. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I've never bothered with the TV movie, having read the book in high school. How could they even think of attempting this? You've done absolutely nothing to change my mindset.

3. Natas

Natas Theres no such thing as the boogyman

Oct 2nd. House of the Devil.

First time seeing. I dug it. Slow burn but the payoff was great. I thought Sam had a serious case of ADD, chick couldn't sit still for 3 seconds, it was kinda driving me nuts lol. But it was a steal for $2.50........a nice throwback.

4. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

October 2nd: RAINY SUNDAY FRIGHTFEST

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 2

Got 4 in today. Kind of went the author route for 3 of them.

1. Slugs (Blu) 1987 - Recent Arrow release. I love the work that Arrow does on their movies and this is another great set. Obvious cheese 80's flick, but that's what I love and had a great time running through the movie and extras. A definite keeper.

2. Stephen King's Pet Semetary (Blu) 1989 - Seen this one before, really good atmosphere and great storytelling in my opinion.

3. Maximum Overdrive (DVD) 1986 - Love this movie. It's terrible that there isn't a Blu yet or at least that I know of. Probably my favorite Cameo of Stephen King's is in this film. Always liked the soundtrack with AC/DC as well.

4. Phantoms (DVD) 1998 - I hadn't seen this one in quite some time, but remember liking it. This time it didn't fare so well. Dean Koontz stuff and I usually like his stuff. This one starting off seemed to be onto something good, but really didn't care for where it ended up. Not really a fan of Affleck either which didn't help. Maybe check it out sometime down the road and see what the average feeling ends up being.

Gore Lunatic, indrid13 and maskull like this.
  6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

But he was the bomb in Phantoms, yo

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

[​IMG]

3. Roar (1981) 4/5

Is this horror? The filmmakers say it isn't. Since the entire middle third of this movie is a family terrorized by wildcats, and they're barricading themselves in a house NOTLD-style, I say it is. Especially since the cats are REAL. This might be as close to a snuff film as you can get, it really is a miracle that no one was killed making this movie. The lions I can handle, as I believe they were all members of one pride, and that usually keeps them calm. But tigers? And especially jaguars? Those animals are notorious for not giving a fuck about who they kill and eat. You'll fear more for the people in this film (and again, that's really Tippi Hedren and Melanie Griffith, not stunt people) than in any horror film you'll see. Recommended.

[​IMG]

4. The Neon Demon (2016) 4.5/5

Why the FUCK did I not see this in the theater when I had the chance? Wow. You know, there's always talk about remaking Suspiria. If you wanna call this the Suspiria remake, I'll buy it. And even if they do remake it, I can say that The Neon Demon is a better callback to Argento's classic than whatever the actual remake will be. Really. Too bad it's nearly midnight here, as I actually want to pop the Blu-Ray back in the player and watch it again, maybe listen to the commentary. There's a lot going on that doesn't make a whole bunch of sense, but sure is pretty to look at. The last reel especially gets quite violent and confusing. But in that good way. Best horror film of 2016, might even be the best FILM of 2016 (right now, it's kind of a toss-up between this and Sing Street)

Probably won't get to anything again till the weekend.

8. Funktion

Funktion Member

Day 2:
    [​IMG]

Movie #2: The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976)

9. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

This topic is moving fast already. It's kind of cheating since I watched this one a day or so before the 1st. But since I rarely post reviews here until October, I thought I would start with this one.

The Day -

I think everyone knows that Night of the Living Dead and the 1990 remake are great, classic horror movies. People watch those movies whether it's October or not. With The Day, it seems like all they wanted to do is make the house standoff. When I started the movie, I thought this might be bad when I saw the WWE logo. I've seen a few of their horror movies, none of which are particularly good. This one does have a cast of actors that I've seen in other movies and TV shows. It seems like I'll watch Shannyn Sossamon in almost anything these days. Yet the whole movie is basically people in an apocalypse, who knows how the apocalypse happened, stop at a house and run into bad people. Who they know are out there. Unlike the zombies where we are figuring out along with the characters what the situation is. Here we are in the dark and just there to see if this group will survive the bad group that is coming for them. And this group doesn't come off as heroic either when an event happens. There is a twist but nothing major really comes of it. It's a very bleak movie right down to the cinematography. And fairly pointless in the end.

---

A few more reviews coming soon but I haven't finished writing them yet.

I know for me, I always watch horror with other movies during the year. But with October I would look forward to the horror movies, both new and old, that channels would show. I think it was not until I looked up horror forums to help me find that witch scene in Ghoulies did I really like the idea of a month of horror movies. Sadly, I'm still not at the point where I can watch a horror movie a day. It will definitely be next year! This month I will finish checking out the short Internet movies and other horror articles that I have saved. So I'm just about ready for next year.

Also, I think the need for entertainment makes some turn October into an entire month of horror. It's like any holiday. The biggest probably being Christmas which people get ready for right after Thanksgiving. I think someone on a neighboring block already has Christmas lights up or was testing them! Also, I grew up in an area with all the seasons, so it is nice to see and feel the change. I tried living in warmer areas and it just physically feels wrong to me. I just think it's because I'm so used to seeing snow and feeling the cooler temperatures of the later year.

10. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Started it off with an atypical TRUE CRIME documentary.

October 1:

Amanda Knox (2016)

[​IMG]

Fascinating, told across four perspectives: the lead Italian investigator, the lead journalist, Foxy Knoxy, and her Italian boyfriend. This is what a witch hunt looks like.

Then, I ended the night with an old favorite:

Evil Dead 2 (1987)

[​IMG]

With audio commentary by Bruce Campbell, Sam Raimi, Scott Spiegel, and Greg Nicotero. I love this audio track, full of jokes and insight. With no offense intended, it wears a little thin that Spiegel hogs a significant portion of the commentary, given that he is the least 'accomplished' of the four, but Campbell and Raimi liven it up, while Nicotero provides great background information.

msw7, Gore Lunatic, Rocker10 and 3 others like this.
  11. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

Halloween (1978) BD
    Halloween II (1981) BD
    Halloween H20: 20 Years Later BD

For the past few years now I've been starting my October viewings with the classic '78 Halloween film just so it can kick my ass into high gear and get me in the mood of the season. Last year I tried the combination of these three films and it worked out great so I thought I'd do it again. I like how all three of these films flow together and ends in a satisfying way.

Rocker10, maskull, indrid13 and 2 others like this.
  12. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

10-1-16
    High Tension
    Martyrs

10-2-16
    The Beast Within
    Halloween
    (78)

Gore Lunatic, Rocker10 and indrid13 like this.
  13. bigmix007

bigmix007 Member

10/01
    The Brood
    10/02
    Don't Look Now

Rocker10 and indrid13 like this.
  14. loutoad23

loutoad23 Active Member

my viewing is going much more haphazard then id like, just caught chopping mall last night which looks stellar. going to watch salems lot tonight (1st time watch! i was a snob about hating TV movies for years so stupidly avoided it.)

Rocker10 and maskull like this.
  15. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I haven't hit up the DVDs or Blus yet but I did watch some highly entertaining retro Made For TV horror movies courtesy of Youtube...
    Oct. 2: THE WORLD BEYOND 1978, fun and scary! Like THE DARK, I expected Kolchak to show up any moment. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0235068/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_112 Shame a series never developed!
    HOW AWFUL ABOUT ALAN - terrific movie with Tony Perkins.
    DIARY OF A TEENAGE HITCHHIKER - cheesy and charming. Great disco music and a rare leading turn by Charlene Tilton. Acting wise, late actress
    Dominique Dunne stole the show. Very Afterschool Special-ish which is everything.

16. Natas

Natas Theres no such thing as the boogyman

Wife's car broke down. Guess I'll just take a day off of work and let her use my car :D

Oct 3

Watched Chopping Mall this morning. First time viewing. Had a blast. Incorporates every aspect of the decade beautifully. Loved it. Got the regular dvd.... I don't think I would have liked it as much in HD/blu. The grainy picture just adds to its charm.

"Fuck the fuchsia.....that old bag can wait" hahahaha

17. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Oct.3.

Deadly Blessing. (1981). To this day I still wonder why Scream Factory's reversible cover was cropped from the bottom eliminating much of the cleavage from the original poster art. Weird. This film has its detractors and is by no means perfect, but it still remains a top Wes Craven film for me. 7/10.

Rocker10, maskull and indrid13 like this.
  18. loutoad23

loutoad23 Active Member

i have a soft spot for the third one because I remember renting it as a kid a lot, but i get the hate for some. the 1st will always be my favorite but 2 is pretty rad.

indrid13 likes this.
  19. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Psycho III - it was ok, a few nice scenes, liked the ending and found the opening and end credit music very atmospheric.

20. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

It was actually the second attempt at a series pilot (again, similar to Kolchak). There was a previous film called The World of Darkness, which I've yet to see.

While not quite on par with other made for TV classics like Gargoyles or Don't Be Afraid of the Dark, its a creepy good watch. I actually caught this on TV when it aired in 1978 - it premiered in the same time slot as another made for TV creep fest The Bermuda Depths. Most of America tuned in to the latter. I picked the former, and IMO made the better choice.