The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread - 2016 Edition!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 3rd
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

7) The Girl in the Photographs: This is Wes Craven’s swan song as a producer and I can’t say he went out on a high note because everything about this film felt fifteen years too late. It’s filled with late 90’s/early 00’s postmodern horror clichés, and fails to blend mystery, horror and comedy in a self-aware manner unlike the Scream franchise. The tone is bipolar, constantly shifting between being ether too silly or too serious. The final act is when things sort of come together, with some really entertaining kills and a lot of gore, but the films pseudo attempt at commentary on the relationship between photography and voyeurism falls on deaf ears. Then you have the finale, which is unsettling, but ultimately feels underwhelming. On the upside you have Kal Penn who is great as usual, playing a douchebag photographer, and the two serial killers who, for the most part, are quite creepy and disgusting. An okay postmodern slasher for those interested, but nothing to write home about. (5/10)

8) #Horror: A pretentious social satire. Sure, this may be one of the more ambitious titles to be released by IFC Midnight, but the message of the film is forced and so over the top I couldn’t really get behind it. I understand that a dependency on technology has in many ways failed this generation of parents to properly raise their kids, but whenever a film like this one tries to tackle this subject matter in a meaningful way it just comes across as idiotic and unrealistic. It is a real shame because the film is fantastic on a visual level and has a great cast of character actors. It could have been more than what it was if the plot came together, unfortunately we just get an obnoxious mess of ideas stuffed in a congratulatory box. (5/10)

2. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

Oct 2nd-

[​IMG]

Watched Bride of Chucky. Still enjoyable all these years later. Can't believe I saw it in the theater. I feel freaking old. Followed it with Seed of Chucky. First time viewing. I liked it. Really bizarre little film. Then ended the night with Curse of Chucky. A nice return to a horror with a less comedic tone.

Film count so far- 6 films

3. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Oct 3 - The Red Queen Kills Seven Times - another fun gothic giallo I enjoyed quite a bit. 3.5/5

October total film count: 3

4. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Movies 10, 11, & 12:

Reptilicus (1961): Your usual giant monster attacks stuff but this time the people running in terror are Danish. The monster (puppet) is actually kind of cute when he's not slobbering or shooting green acidic slime at people. At one point I was wondering if the Danish Tourist Board was a sponsor for this movie because there's a lengthy interlude of a couple touring Copenhagen, seeing the sights, and giving a little bit of history.

Bad Dreams (1988): This almost became one of my new favourite horror films, but in the end, the psychiatrist/love interest(WTF???) was too obnoxious and useless, and the ending was quite the let down. Still, there were some pretty neat-o kills, a surprisingly great soundtrack, and Dean Cameron goes crazy.

Mad Love (1935): Peter Lorre plays a mad-ish doctor who sticks a killer knife thrower's hands onto the mangled stumps of a great piano player, who happens to be married to the woman/actress that the doctor is in love with. Turns out the hands still want to kill and the doctor wants the hands to kill so he can frame the husband and finally have the woman of his dreams. Lorre is batshit crazy in this movie, but still manages to surround the creepy with some likeable. Frances Drake is absolutely gorgeous. Everyone else is just there for characters to talk to, except perhaps for the American newspaper reporter and the drunken maid. Everything is pretty silly and the ending is oh so convenient, but no one will care because Peter Lorre is laughing like a mad man.

5. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. The Whip and the Body (Mario Bava, 1963) (4/5)

Beautiful score and incredible atmosphere. I'd forgotten the story almost completely, so it was nice to revisit it. I don't know if I'd consider it one of my favorite Bava films, but it's certainly a good one. The influence of Corman's Poe pictures is front and center. It's a shame that there isn't an English dub available with Christopher Lee's own voice, like there is of Black Sabbath with Karloff's voice.

6. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

October 3rd: WEST COAST WOLFMEN

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #3:
    The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
    Rewatch (40th Anniversary Edition Blu)
    ***** (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    3. Director day. Something from a well known auteur.

Decided to highlight Tobe Hooper because he's a horror auteur who is too often overlooked cause of the disappointing later half of his career. I also needed to kick off my watching of the entire Texas Chainsaw series over the course of the month. There's a couple near the end I've never seen before.

8. indrid13

Oct 3rd-

[​IMG]

Bones. I like Ernest Dickerson's melding of Italian Horror with Blaxploitation. Bava's Baron Blood was a big influence on the film. Plus Katharine Isabelle is in it and that's always a plus.

Film count so far- 7

9. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

Off to an inauspicious start this year, with average fare followed by abysmal before finally yielding to good (but not great). Ratings are out of ****.

10/1/16 - The Damned (1961) **
    A tourist, a thug, and the thug's rebellious sister stumble on a military laboratory populated by strange children. Are they victims, threats, or humanity’s survival?

An interesting science fiction premise that would have worked well as an Outer Limits episode, but is far too meager to fill a feature length run time. So padding things out are unnecessary side arcs of a street gang that would make those in West Side Story look bad ass, and a cringe worthy romance of completely mis-matched lovers. The core premise is well executed and rather chilling, but the tacked on weight of the rest drags the film down from what it could have been.

10/2/16 - Shallow Ground (2004) *
    A bloody spirit makes the townsfolk pay for their sins in blood.

A ponderous and unrelenting torrent of overbearing imagery and musical score. If it weren't for incoherent plot logic, this film would have no variation at all. It’s the cinema equivalent of a piston driven mallet monotonously wacking a bloody steak for ninety minutes. The writer/director must have decided terror would be more effective if all that gratuitous build up and variation in mood and tempo was trimmed out. Just roll camera on a ceaseless series of disjointed horror film money shots with ominous music punctuating every trivial act like each is an intravenous drip of Clive Barker essence. Resulting in the fright payoff of a Seinfeld rerun.

It has been a while since I've had to force myself to keep watching a movie through to the end. Please don't make the mistake I did, stay clear of this steaming pile of celluloid.

10/3/16 - Brimstone & Treacle (1982) ***
    A disturbing young man schemes his way into the household of an aging couple and their invalid daughter, causing the family's disturbing secrets to be dragged into the light.

While rather tame by today's standards, and not really ground breaking even in its day, this is a perverted little yarn played with off balance characters to a climax both demented and cathartic. As throughout his movie career Sting does his usual Malcolm McDowell stand-in shtick, here to rather good effect. Denholm Elliot is nearly as twisted as the bitter, hen-pecked husband with a dirty past.

Hallucinogenic imagery and rock riffs by The Police warp the mood of the picture from a pure psychological thriller tale into something...else. The effect neither for the better or worse, but rather for the different and certainly memorable. I’ll be looking into the original television version in the future.

10. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 3

Got 4 more today. Brings my monthly total to 11 so far.

1. Devil's Pass (Hulu Stream) 2013 - Been interested in the Dyatlov Pass incident of 1959 after seeing the video game Kholat released. It's interesting material and with the fact that nobody knows what happened, I guess you can give a movie such as this some creative points. Gets a bit bizarre towards the end.

2. Trick 'r Treat (Blu) 2007 - I watched this some years ago and it was more than likely a distracted viewing as I didn't remember as much about it as I probably should have. Focused this time and enjoyed the hell out of it. Loved all of the overlap in it. Definitely a movie for repeated viewings.

3. Tales of Halloween (Blu) 2015 - dave13 had a pretty decent review of each segment earlier in this thread. I referenced his thoughts after watching each segment and though he was spot on. This movie tends to be compared a lot with Trick 'r Treat so it felt right to take them back to back. Loved the feel of this one and did notice the overlap a bit here and there as well for obvious reasons. Very cool move that I will re-visit in the future!

4. Shock Waves (Blu) 1977 - Love this movie. There is just something about it that is fascinating. Very good atmosphere. I had forgot that the original negative disappeared and the Blue Underground version was taken from the directors personal collection. I've seen it many times and will see it many more. I know it's a bit slow, but has a good eerie element. Love this era of horror films.

indrid13, dave13, othervoice1 and 4 others like this.
  11. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

Bloodworx -

For the most part I watched this one because Tricia Helfer is in it. Also one of the girls from Hatchet is as well. I figured maybe it will be somewhat good even though the trailer wasn't that great. The annoying guy from the Friday the 13th remake is in it too. He plays the same sort of role and gets to see another blonde girl's fun area in what looks to be a mirrored shot of the one from Friday the 13th. But overall the movie feels like a movie that actors would make while they are waiting on a good role. So basically to pick up a check. Tricia Helfer does her best here though as I guess a scientist with good intentions. Even if she goes about them in the wrong way. Her character never becomes a crazy, dark, mad scientist though. Maybe you could call her a bit mad in the modern sense but not in the movie mad scientist way.

I've seen a few science movies gone bad and they always manage to get the feel right. Even video games get it right. Whether it's a dark science type, an overly sci-fi experiment type, or an underground government lab type. This movie feels like an experiment, maybe it's supposed to. But only near the end do they try to say it's a horror movie. Even complete with a government or other agency type cliffhanger which they can't possibly believe they would ever get to make a sequel.

The Forest -

I haven't seen a good Japanese horror movie in a while. And this isn't a real made in Japan horror movie but I thought it would be good. It kind of is and isn't. If you like Japan you'll love many of the shots and scenes throughout the movie. Although checking IMDB tells me that the actual forest scenes weren't shot in Japan. So that's disappointing but then so is what happens around the halfway point. The story is that a girl goes to look for twin sister in a Japan, a country foreign to her, alone. That doesn't make much sense in real life but it's a horror movie so we go with it. I posted I think here or on the Horror.com forum that you can make a good horror movie with just a pretty girl and good location as long as it doesn't get too silly. The remake of When a Stranger Calls is proof of that. But at that halfway point, once she's in the forest, that's when we know the direction the movie is going in. And it's not a good one.

I don't want to spoil it but this movie has the sort of thing that Cabin in the Woods made fun of. You would think a movie that is released in 2016 wouldn't attempt something that another movie said was silly back in 2012. But here we are. And even more, it ends with something I thought was misplaced in The Ward. Overall, it ends up feeling like they had an idea for a horror movie and just added the usual Japanese horror tropes thinking it would be good enough. And I guess it was since the movie was profitable. But it's not anything worth revisiting once you see it.

I still need to see this one. I read that a memorable scene from Nightmare on Elm Street was first created here.

So true. I tend to watch all her horror movies. I guess I missed adding this one to my list. But it's added now.

12. Funktion

Funktion Member

Day 3:
    [​IMG]

Movie #3: The Colony

Caught this one on TV. A decent, b-movie sci-fi/horror movie, with slightly higher budget than most similar productions, and with a couple of well known faces. Despite the mostly negative reviews, I found it to be a decent diversion, even if it uses elements from other, better films. The movie is relatively slow-paced, that is until the final 3rd, where all hell breaks loose, and we get some decent practical effects, and a whole lot of killings. :)

Rocker10, indrid13 and maskull like this.
  13. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Didn't even know about this one. Thanks for the heads-up.

indrid13 likes this.
  14. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I never knew Ms. Isabelle was in this! Added to my too watch list, especially with your little description.

indrid13 likes this.
  15. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

Friday The 13th part VII: The New Blood BD
    Friday The 13th part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan BD
    Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday unrated DVD

These are three films in the series that I rarely watch for some reason. So I thought I'd dig them up and give them another go. The New Blood has some great early kills in it but later kills seem a bit lame. The story was very typical and straightforward even with the whole telekinesis angle for the main character. And that ending had me smacking my forehead. Jason Takes Manhattan was just bad. I actually saw this in the theatre when it first came out. Bad acting, unlikable characters and lame kills. It was just boring to get through. The Final Friday was a different kind of beast. Not your typical Jason movie but a very entertaining entry in the series. The idea of Jason's spirit/parasite jumping from person to person made things interesting and fresh. Some great kills and gory effects also makes this film a blast.

Rocker10, indrid13, Natas and 2 others like this.
  16. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

10-3-16
    Horror Express

Rocker10, indrid13 and othervoice1 like this.
  17. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Glad I didn't steer you wrong!

Rocker10 and indrid13 like this.
  18. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Oct. 4th.

Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972). Pulled out this late era Dracula Hammer entry as I seldom watch it. It's great to see Lee and Cushing paired yet again, and the prologue is among one of the most exciting scenes in the series.
    The film takes place in the swingin' hippie era of London, and as such is marred by a unique but weird score that is out of place at times and downright annoying at others. The altar scene in particular is interrupted by this offbeat, atypical jazzy score and completely took me out of the action.
    The film is also strangely derivative of Hammer's far superior effort 'Taste The Blood Of Dracula'. The Satan obsessed character of Johnny Alucard (check that spelling) is very reminiscent of Ralph Bates' Satanic charlatan in the aforementioned film. Caroline Munro devotees should take note that she is criminally underused in this film and is an incidental character at best. Stephanie Beacham is quite the stunning femme fatale displaying some of Hammer Films' most memorable cleavage, and wasn't that part of the appeal of these films in the first place?
    It's odd and nowhere near as good as the first five films in the series, still it's not as bad as some may have you believe. It's definitely not boring, though not a film I'd revisit frequently.
    7/10.

19. indrid13

Thanks!

20. indrid13

Cool! Hope you guys enjoy it!