The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2018!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 27, 2018.

1. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

We're hours away, depending on where you live. I'm just counting down the hours and making piles of blu rays/dvds to watch. My first movie will be the traditional Silver Bullet but on blu ray for the first time.

2. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

For me here in the UK, it's here!

I've just watched my first of the season 'Shadow of the missing' billed as a cross between Blair witch and spinal tap, it was fucking awful, hope this is not a sign of things to come!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    indrid13, hulkyduck, Rocker10 and 2 others like this.
  3. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

I can't wait! I'll be pregaming tonight by rewatching "Hereditary" and officially get off to the right start tomorrow night when I get home from work. October Madness, my body is ready!!!

[​IMG]

indrid13, Workshed and maskull like this.
  4. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    9/29: I watched the Criterion Ed. of NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD. A movie I have taken for granted far too long. The paperback book I have is SCARY. The movie, always loved, was always a go-to experience but it never got to me (DAY OF THE DEAD scared the yell out of me, though). However, I can finally say this movie creeped me the F out. The soundtrack (library music) helps. I really appreciate this movie. A non stop nightmare...and I had bad dreams even though I went out afterwards to try and shake the flick.

indrid13, hulkyduck, Rocker10 and 3 others like this.
  5. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Happy October, everyone!

indrid13, hulkyduck, Colin and 4 others like this.
  6. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

And we're on! Had to get started a little early as Monday is a bit hectic for me. Will report on what I've been viewing starting tomorrow night. I actually do check in here just about daily due to a lot of good info being passed around including replacement programs and reviews as well as release dates. This is the time of year I get involved as this is a lot of fun. Looking forward to reading all of your posts again this year!

~Rocker10

7. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I started the season officially with a late night showing of Hell Fest! Technically 11pm on the 30th but I was in the theater well past midnight so fuck it I'm counting it.

Hell Fest was fun, man. Nothing special, nothing new, but I enjoyed it nevertheless. Almost had the whole theater to myself. Only 2 other people in there with me, I was in the back, they were close to the front so I felt by myself! Nice blood orange beer on tap, too.

8. maskull

Yeah on the first night if I have to work the next day or am really tired I might start my first movie before midnight. As you say, as long as some part of it is playing after 12.

indrid13 and hulkyduck like this.
  9. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Well-Known Member

Looking forward to clearing some of my blu ray backlog and getting a lot of first time watches under my belt , Off work for a few days so ill be able to start the marathon sitting on my couch for a few days.

1. Hell House 2 : The Abbadon Hotel. (2018) First time viewing
    I was really looking forward to this after enjoying the first film and held off to make this my first watch this October.
    This was a big let down for me , the actors were as wooden the unbreakable doors in the hotel, the film took too long to get going then all the momentum was taken out of the climax by trying to explain everything with a monologue that went on for about 10 minutes about the events happened in the first film which left nothing to your imagination. I felt that the director was too busy trying to set up future films rather than make a good standalone film.
    Like The Houses that built October last year the was an unnessesary sequel to a good first film.
    3/10

2. Eyeball (1975) First time viewing
    Opened up my new 88 Films blu ray to check this out.
    A red masked killer starts killing off a bus load of american tourists in spain for some unknown reason, although this was a by the numbers Giallo this felt more like an eighties slasher with victims being picked off one by one and the Killer wearing a red raincoat with red gloves rather than the giallis traditional black gloves and also having a final girl. Enjoyed this one and the mystery was good despite the resolution really coming from out of nowhere and being a bit silly.
    7/10

3. Death Laid An Egg (1968) First time viewing .
    Stuck on the new nucleus films Blu ray to check this out.
    Well this was one strange little film. an unloving wealthy italian couple run a chicken farm with the help of their secretary who is having an affair with the husband , he also likes to indulge in serial killer fantasies. The Husband plots to kill his wife to be with his secretary, The secretary is plotting to frame the husband and kill his wife with the help of her lover, throw in a little bit of industrial chicken esponage , add a liitle bit of surreal sequences through the film mostly involving chickens and you have this early attempt at what would become the giallo film.
    This film reminded me in places of Your Vice Is A Locked Room in the part of a beautiful young woman trying to play off a man and wife off against each other.
    It seems like the director was full of drugs during filming , despite this i could not take my eyes off this film and look forward to watching this again soon.
    7/10

4. Lady Frankenstein (1971) First time viewing .
    This felt like a classic Hammer horror film but with a spin , the film follows the classic Frankenstein story until the monster kills the Doctor, then his daughter takes over the experiments. Despite the monster being one of the most unconvincing ive seen in Frankenstein films there is still a lot to enjoy, mostly the captivating Rosalba Neri which probably made it easy for me to overlook the film's flaws.
    7/10

5. Season of the Witch (1972)
    This Arrow version of the film has been been sitting in my backlog for a while now , because this is not as celebrated as George Romero's zombie films i have just now got round to watching this.
    Kind of a half social drama and half horror film about a bored housewife who takes up witchcraft to escape from her bored existence. Straight from the off this hits you over the head about the humdrum of middle class life , feminism and female empowerment, which has become very relevant over the last few years. As a straight horror film this is nowhere near his classics but still was worth the watch
    7/10

10. maskull

October 1:

1. Silver Bullet (1985): I always know that October has begun when I watch this movie. It's dripping in nostalgia and childhood crush-iness (Megan Follows) and there's a crap ton of awesome werewolf scenes (and a amazing bullet making scene), some comedy, and a drunken, inappropriate Gary Busey. I do really love this movie!

2. Hocus Pocus (1993): I watched this a few times back when it came out but I really didn't remember anything about it. So no nostalgia for me. That being said, Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker and Kathy Najimy (with a little bit of cute from Thora Birch) carry this movie completely. When they aren't on screen I found it kind of draggy but when they are it's lots of fun. I especially love the "I Put A Spell On You" musical number and pretty much everything Sarah Jessica Parker does.

f0t0z00m, Rocker10, indrid13 and 4 others like this.
  11. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I'm currently house-hunting and wedding planning, so I will not have a ton of time this month, but I do have a few gems I'd love to see. Posting here for my own sanity.

October Wishlist:

First-timers:

Session 9 (2001)
    A Quiet Place (2018)
    mother! (2017)
    Gallowwalkers (2001)
    Ash vs Evil Dead S3
    The Ritual (2017)
    Slice (2018)
    A Dark Song (2016)

Repeat performers:

Hereditary (2018)
    The Babadook (2014)
    Candyman (1992)
    Eerie, IN S1
    The Golden Child (1986)
    My Science Project (1985)

f0t0z00m, Rocker10, dave13 and 4 others like this.
  12. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Congrats and best of luck to you! Lot on your plate! Hope you get a chance to enjoy October as much as possible this year.

13. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

Oct 1st-
    Going to try the Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge this year. Should be fun. First up in the challenge: Watch a horror film by a female director.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  14. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Here's a cool compilation of old Halloween ads I found that some of you might enjoy. I'm planning to watch a few minutes of these at a time in between movies.

I'm starting with the 1970 (or 72?) Hammer film Crescendo. Halfway through it seems more psychological thriller-ish than horror, but there's a gross corpse at the beginning and a mangled mannequin on the poster, so that's close enough for me. Following this up with Abbott and Costello Meet The Killer, Boris Karloff.

I'm also drinking a Sunkist with an Adam Sandler Dracula character from Hotel Transylvania on it if that's worth anything to anyone.

15. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 1

Got started a bit quicker that I thought I would have time for. I hold off on horror and then it's out of the gates. Got 5 for day 1.

1. House of the Dead (aka Alien Zone) (1978) Blu- Been a big fan of Vinegar Syndrome's work for a bit now and had not seen this movie. Found it to be a bit uneven, but decent. Even though the features were recorded audio interviews, I had fun listening to them and found it interesting that it was directed by Sharron Miller who also did some work with the Grizzly Adams show which I watched a lot as a kid. The final story was my favorite on this. Had a bit of a Twilight Zone feel to it.

2. Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954) Blu- From the new Universal Legacy box set. Seen this many times but having the new set was the reason I jumped into this one early into this years run. It's a classic. Still waiting for the replacement disc for disc 2 and the other two movies.

3. The Severed Arm (1973) Amazon Prime-First time watch. Amazon has these double dose of horror streams with movies I really am not familiar with. Downloaded one to my tablet and spent some time at the car dealership today waiting for a recall fix. This movie definitely felt 70's and had an interesting concept. Definitely B grade stuff. Not too bad for what it is. I guess the actress that played Gidget was the main actress in this one. Fairly predictable, but not too bad.

4. Grizzly (1976) Blu-Grabbed the new version that just came out recently. The transfer looks awesome. I have the previous version as well, but would need to dig it out to compare, but felt that this movie probably hasn't looked better than it does with this new set. The skin tones were slightly odd to me, but maybe that was how they were. A bit pinkish. Overall a decent upgrade. I do enjoy the film. Never saw it as a kid but in the neighborhood, it was the talk amongst us kids at the time.Pretty nostalgic and fun for me.

5. The Dyatlov Pass Incident (2013) Blu- I watched this a couple of years ago. I've been fascinated with strange shit like the Dyatlov Pass story among other things. While this movie is fictional, it does reference and include that original incident from 1959. I bought the blu after watching the streaming version but couldn't play it until now due to buying my region free player. This is a found footage film that does a pretty good job. Sure, you can find things about it that maybe don't make sense, but overall it's a fun ride that gets crazy as hell in the last 25 minutes or so. Figured a couple of things out that I had missed the first time. Glad to have this on blu. A Renny Harlin directed film.

On to tomorrow!

~Rocker10

16. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Tales from the Hood 2

Man, I'm glad I kept my expectations in check......even happier I didn't save this one for Halloween day. Horror movie this is not. Couple of gore scenes at the beginning......but that's it........ I found it pretty funny for the most part, however. Some good laughs but this is definitely straight to video quality.....And the robot in the last segment..... help my fuck that thing was cringe worthy

f0t0z00m, hulkyduck, Rocker10 and 4 others like this.
  17. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I watch horror movies throughout the year as well like most here. But during the October month I want to try and watch a movie every Friday and Saturday. If not two on Fridays and Saturdays. But also have my drinks as well. I think I posted it or someone on the Horror.com forum said to have a few drinks and watch these movies at night. As you want to depress some of your natural senses to the whole "this can't be happening" sort of feeling. Which when you are young you don't have but when you get older you aren't scared as much. I know it works for me and I get freaked out on the good movies like Sinister. Besides, I can't do the whole drinking thing on weekday nights.

Plus, it's something about the Fall season that makes Halloween scary movies better too since it gets darker earlier and the look of things outside change. It starts changing a week or so before October. So I think that's where I'm going to start every year if I can.

I don't know if I did this last year. But I noticed that seeing images along with some words are better. If I see a wild image plus a good review, I am more likely to add that movie to my list for the future. Or check the wiki for more information. So I'll add a little image / scene to the movies and shows I've watched.

Here are the few I started out with so far. I have some movie reviews coming too:

Ash vs Evil Dead Season 3 Episode 1 -

ash evil dead.jpg

I just started this show's final season tonight. It's still fun and dark. Since it's short I'll able to watch an episode a night. Maybe two. The Ash character is just crazy. Depending on how it ends, I wouldn't be surprised to see this show make my Blu-rays to own list. I know I'm getting the female Ash figure from Kotobukiya that I posted about in the Collection topic here:

http://horrordvds.com/community/thr...replicas-masks-and-collectibles.45006/page-21

Superstition Syfy TV Show -

superstition syfy poster.jpg

I've had this show on my list for a while and started the first episode a while back. I think I posted something about it in a topic around here before. The show is kind of iffy with the dialog and production in parts. It does feel kind of like an off shoot of Supernatural in early episodes. But it gets better after a few episodes. At least better than Supernatural when I decided to stop watching that show.

It's the whole monster of the week with the characters finding out how to defeat it at their headquarters with all the cool books and weapons to use against creatures setup. It is mainly a black cast horror show which we don't see much of. There was the one black horror movie I reviewed with Keith David from They Live, The Thing, and a bunch of other horror and popular movies. But that movie wasn't that good. I was surprised since he was in it. But Superstition is interesting enough that I'll finish it. I'm on episode 5 now I think.

I'll post final reviews of both shows when I'm finished.

hulkyduck, Rocker10, maskull and 2 others like this.
  18. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

Oct 1st-
    [​IMG]
    After the Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie, decided it was time to start a rewatch of the show.

19. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Movie #1:
    Mirror Mirror (1990)
    First time viewing (Shudder)
    **1/2 (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    1. THE LADY AUTEUR: Pioneering women directors in psychotronic cinema. Now see who’s wearing the pants in Hellywood.

This was a little more artful than I expected for the inaugural entry in a 90s DTV series, but I didn’t love it. I see 2 of the 3 sequels are streaming/on VOD via Amazon, don’t know if I’ll continue on though. Anyone have any opinions on the series?

hulkyduck, Rocker10, maskull and 2 others like this.
  20. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

October 1st
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

1) Haunters: Art of the Scare: A documentary surrounding the haunted house attractions subculture seemed like a great way to kick off the Halloween season, but I was completely taken off guard by how thought provocative this flick was. Not only does it cover the DIY haunted house movement (much like the documentary “American Scream” which I highly recommend.), but it also covers the down and dirty subsect of Extreme haunts, were participants are psychologically broken down in some pretty nasty and disturbing ways. I’m kind of torn on how I feel about the extreme haunts niche and the… morality (I guess?) behind it. Of course, no one is actually hurt physically in any of these attractions, but the level of psychological torture and abuse these people undergo seemed scaring for many. My only complaint about the film itself is that some of the people interviewed come across as suspect. There is one woman who is a neighbor to a couple who does DIY Extreme haunts in their own home, and everything about her comes across as phony, like she was reading from a script. Overall, it is one of the most fascinating docs I’ve seen on this subject and I would recommend everyone check it out. It is streaming on Netflix Afterall. (7/10)

2) Demon House: I’ve never been a fan of the show “Ghosthunters” – nor a fan of human douchebag Zack Bagans – and I’m a pure skeptic when it comes to the paranormal, but fuck it, it’s October! Credit where it’s due, the production value for this “Documentary” is top notch, featuring some really fluid camera work and great use of lighting that cultivates a really creepy atmosphere. But since Bagans is trying to pass this off as real, I still have to call bullshit, even if the narrative is compelling. One too many incidents portrayed here felt staged beyond belief, and some of the juicer bits are conveniently not filmed. Even funnier is
    Zack bought the house featured in this doc, only to have it razed by the end because of all the mishaps that befell his crew and a number of people who had entered the home. I truly believe Bagans had the house demolished just to ensure he can keep the ruse going, because if other people can visit the home only to experience nothing out of the ordinary would destroy the smoke and mirrors act.
    I can’t really recommend this if you real looking for an unbiased look at demonic possession or the supernatural, but if you are a fan of “Ghosthunters” than this is right up your alley. It’s just not my scene. (5/10)

3) Belief: The Possession of Janet Moses: One part investigative documentary, and one part dramatic recreation is concocted to tell the unsettling tale of religious fanaticism run-amok that leaves a young mother dead and a family forever ruined. The narrative structure is what really makes this stand out among many other true crime documentaries. It is understandable why the family did not participate in production, so the recreations help to drive the bulk o the story telling. Some of the acting in the reconstructions are a bit over the top, and pacing does drag toward the middle of the film, but this is ultimately a disturbing tale. A soild film even if it’s the least horror themed out of the bunch I watched today. (7/10)