The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2018!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 27, 2018.

1. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

I watched the series last year. I enjoyed the first one. And the 2nd on is an okay time waster with a couple werid moments. But three and four are really bad. Unless you like some shirtless Mark Ruffalo action and Billy Drago sex scenes.

hulkyduck, maskull and fattyjoe37 like this.
  2. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Mirror Mirror 2 is decent enough, funny watching the girl from Mr. Belvedere in a sexy-ish kind of role. Very forgettable stuff though, I watched in April and don't remember anything about it. I never bothered with the other 2 because I think they're more softcore movies than horror and I find sex scenes to be about the most boring thing to watch in a movie.

3. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Having seen all the Mirror, Mirror films, in my opinion it's one of the most boring, dry, and forgettable franchises and reminds me a bland soap opera. And the sequels are all dreadfully bad, the third film being in my bottom films of all time. I'd say avoid them all.

4. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I've been craving a rewatch of this lately too. Think I'll wait until November to start though.

5. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

1st - October Madness No.1 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 1 - THE LADY AUTEUR: Pioneering women directors in psychotronic cinema. Now see who’s wearing the pants in Hellywood.

[​IMG]

A Night to Dismember (Original "Lost" Cut") (1983) Rewatch - Rating: 2/5
    Doris Wishman's lone straight horror outing is a nonsensical, poorly made yet wholly distinct head trip about a woman who's struck by lightning while pregnant and then begins offing all those around her who wrong here - which is everybody in her life. Halfway through the film she's killed and it continues with adult actress Samantha Fox as her daughter who's also stuck with the ancestral curse of hacking up all the assholes around her. This recently unearthed original "lost" cut which just surfaced on YouTube this summer contains the films original dialogue, all post dubbed, and runs a tad longer. The version previously available was all narrated since the dialogue was what was thought lost when the film was to be released and re-cut slightly.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I love Mirror Mirror. LOVE! Big favorite of mine.

That said, the sequels are atrocious. Two is well made, but a bore. Three feels like a SOV softcore. If you didn't like the first, don't waste your time.

I have the Anchor Bay collection with all four movies, but once the first movie hits blu-ray, I'll probably pick that up and sell the collection. No need to own the sequels, I'd never watch them again.

7. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Thank you, Colin, for the Haunters rec. Will check that out!

Oct. 1st

My Science Project (1985)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know it is not Horror! But something has been itching my nostalgia for this film, and I just had to see it. After hunting around on the internets for a physical copy yesterday with no luck, I decided to see if it were streaming on any service. Nope. But a YouTube link popped up, and while I am loathe to do that, I cannot buy this film anywhere or pay for any service to stream it! So, I clicked it.

The lead is John Stockwell, and sometimes you see an actor and you're like, "Why didn't this guy ever take off?" But here it's pretty obvious why. The guy acts entirely through his mouth. It is so bizarre to watch and once I caught on, it nearly derailed the film for me. Take a drink every time John Stockwell audibly exhales. It's insane. He's one-note, and so is his character ("I like cars."). Dennis Hopper seems pretty unaware of what he's supposed to be doing so he just rides the crazy train, introducing a high school teacher who...who is a leftwing nut, I guess? Also, it's weird that Fisher Stevens plays another "Indian" character in this film, like he did in Short Circuit. And it's unclear which "Indian" he is supposed to be, Native American or East Indian. He's hilarious, though, pretty much playing the same character as another 1985 actor did in Teen Wolf, Stiles! For the record, Fisher Stevens is not any type of Indian. Danielle von Zerneck is very charming as Ellie Sawyer.

But here's where my October viewing felt justified, because once the "alien device" (that in the 1990s could be found at any Spencer Gifts for $29.99, next to the lava lamps), Hopper's character becomes obsessed with knowing everything, "the universe"--he seeks to be omnipotent, to know what God knows, not unlike our dear Dr. Frankenstein. Of course, this has dire consequences.

There is a very generous 30 minutes of setup, but once the film finally gets rolling, it is a lot of fun. I'm surprised at how much I remembered.

maskull, hulkyduck, Rocker10 and 4 others like this.
  8. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/1/18

SLAVE OF THE CANNIBAL GOD

[​IMG]

Let me begin by saying that I don't watch cannibal films. At least not the hardcore variety Italian productions. I have avoided these mostly because of the real animal cruelty that I have heard mentioned so often featured in these. Slave of the Cannibal God was a recent blind buy. Code Red just released this. I have a number of Sergio Martino films in my collection and have enjoyed them for the most part. The fact that both Ursula Andress & Stacy Keach headline this were big selling points for me.

Ursula arrives in New Guinea with her brother Arthur to search for her missing anthropologist husband last seen in the dense jungles. Local authorities offer no help, so she hires an American scientist (Stacy Keach) who lives there & happened to know her husband. Keach has a strong feeling where he may have ended up, atop a mountain that everyone fears due to legends of curses. The expedition does not go well at all. Reaching the mountain takes them through all kinds of bad shit as their numbers dwindle.

I figure there are more graphic Italian cannibal films out there to be seen, but let's just say that Slave of the Cannibal God was too heavy for me at times. I sure as fuck didn't need to see a few of these scenes:
    the sacrificial slaughtering of the iguana was vile, arguably worse was the monkey slowly devoured by the massive snake. Much later in the film, the simulated bestiality bit was much briefer than the previous two examples, but still too disgusting for me.

Despite a few scenes that were really in bad taste, I found elements to enjoy in the film. The locations were great with Sri Lanka standing in for New Guinea. The film moves along at a good pace with crazy things happening throughout. It's hard to find a likeable character here. Nearly everyone is despicable to some extent. Claudio Cassinelli is a more redeeming individual who joins their expedition later on. Ursula Andress still looks sexy here at age 42 and does a couple nude scenes. I am not complaining.

I really don't think the Italian cannibal films are for me. I do have another potential October viewing in this genre lined up though: Amazonia - the Catherine Miles Story. That was another recent blind buy. It was cheap and from what a few people online elsewhere said - not as heavy as the other Italian cannibal films. Hoping for no more real-life animal cruelty onscreen. What the fuck am I getting into here?

9. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

satans-sadists, those spoiler scenes sound gruesome, man. Yikes.

10. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Too fucking heavy for me, man! I went into this film for Ursula & Stacy. Figured how rough could it be? That both of these big name stars headlined the film is still puzzling. My screen name may suggest I am sick and/or sadistic. I am far from that. My screen name is taken from an old grindhouse biker film that's outrageous camp more than anything.

Real animal cruelty is NOT for me: not in the cinematic world or the real world!!!

maskull, hulkyduck, Workshed and 2 others like this.
  11. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 1st:
    Dementia 13

hulkyduck, Rocker10 and indrid13 like this.
  12. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Well-Known Member

Back at work tommorow so i managed to cram in another 5

6. X-ray (1981) First time viewing

I had this 88 films blu ray sitting in my pile for a few years now i decided to today i was going to kick off with a bit of 80s cheese.
    This is one of those films which is so bad its good.
    The film follows Barbi Bentons character going to the hospital for the results of a routine check up, her doctor gets murdered by a masked killer and swaps her test results so she can be kept in hospital for more tests and anybody who gets in the killers way is murdered.
    The other patients in the hospital were more suited to a mental hospital and the doctors and nurses should be on the sex offenders list. One of the most illogical plots ive seen in a film as the killer had plenty of chances to kill her in the first 25 minutes instead of jumping through hoops to kill our heroine.
    Despite all that this was a typical scice of early 80s slasher and was a ton of fun and i dont know if Barbi Benton was good in this film or everybody else was so bad.
    5/10

7. Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama (1988) First time viewing

I havebeen trying to get a hold of this since i saw a couple of reviews on posts throughout the years on this thread and finally managed to pick this up early this year and sat on it to watch on this years October marathon.
    This was one i really enjoyed , a great cast of scream queens and Linnea Quigley was good as the movies heroine. Great cheesy 80s fare complete with poor dialogue , bad acting and cheesy music.
    It seemed the cast had a ton of fun making this movie and cant wait to watch again.
    7/10

8. The People Under The Stairs (1991) First time viewing .

This was one of those films that i was sure i must have seen over the years. i was listening to a podcast last night and they were reviewing it and i realised i had not seen it, i had the arrow blu ray sitting there that i bought a few years ago so i stuck it on.
    Like all good horror films there is a underlying social commentary , this one is about the rich white people expoiting the minoritys for financial gain and the gap between the rich and the poor.
    i enjoyed this one but did not make an impression like Craven's other heavy hitters.
    6.5/10

9. Death line (1972) First time viewing .

Now i was not expecting to enjoy this one as much as i did. A story of people going missing on the London underground who are being stalked and killed by the last survivor of a cannibal community ,who have lived under the ground for decades after a cave in trapped them under the london subway system.
    The best thing about the film for me is that the cannibal comes across as a sympathetic character, He only kills for survival and is much a victim as the people he kills.
    Donald Pleasance is also great as a police inspector who has a unhealthy obsession with tea and cant answer a question without a sarcastic comment, you see him up his performamance during Christopher Lee's cameo when he goes toe to toe with him.
    Great 70's british horror , pity we cant make them like this anymore.
    8/10

10. Death Smiles On A Murderer (1973) First time viewing .

70s italian gothic horror mixed with Giallo elements . The film is filled with atmosphere, due in no small part to beautiful costumes and great sets however the plot is all over the place and cant decide what type of film it wants to be, is it a ghost story , revenge story or a homage to Poe with references popping up all over the place.
    Ewa Aulin's Greta who had died at child birth is brought back to life by her hunchback brother to run away with her but she decided to take revenge on everybody who wronged her in her life.
    Lots of twists and turns right to the end and maybe i missed something regarding the plot, might need to watch this again
    5.5/10

13. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

hulkyduck, how is all of this POSSIBLE! You are a

[​IMG]

14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

What's even worse in the film you cite is that one of those scenes the animal victim was clearly FED to its killer.

hulkyduck and indrid13 like this.
  15. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 2

6. The Tingler (1959) Blu-Upgraded my DVD with this new blu-ray. Waited for a price drop and even though I paid slightly more than I wanted, I got it done. Slightly cheesy due to the time era, but another decent acting job by the great Vincent Price. Quality was pretty good, but didn't remember the scene with color in it. That scene was a bit rough quality wise. Maybe something in the extras explains it. Could have seen that before, just didn't remember that detail.

7. Dark Night of the Scarecrow (1981) Blu-Pretty good made for TV movie. Saw this one in last years thread. Went to buy it at the time and if I remember correctly, I held off as it was pushing $30. Looked again the other day and it was down to just over $14. I loved the promo spots in the extras as well. I hadn't seen those spots since the 80's and it brought back the nostalgia. Very fun blu-ray.

8. The Night Stalker (1971) Blu-This is the newly released Kino Lorber disc. It looks great and the movie was pretty decent once again for a made for TV movie. I was kind of disappointed to not get the other film from Kino. Amazon says it ships in 1 to 2 months. Not sure what happened here, but I guess it will be here eventually.

9. Rattlers (1976) Amazon Prime-This was the second film in the double dose of horror. Had not seen either. This one I believe is in public domain and the quality is passable with a bit rough audio and video defects. Still watchable, but honestly this one was a tad boring. I guess it has some fans, but would be surprised to see anyone put work into it.

~Rocker10

16. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

I'm with you. Not much of a cannibal film fan. Watched Cannibal Holocaust a couple of years ago and that was enough for me. Just a nasty film.

17. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Movie #2:
    No Telling (1991)
    First time viewing (Scream Factory’s Larry Fessenden Collection)
    **1/2 (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    2. SHE BITES!: Scientists should not fool with Mother Nature, but they do and then bad things happen.

Rocker10, CPT HOOK, indrid13 and 2 others like this.
  18. maskull

October 1 cont.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (1949): Disney animation does the scary. Bing Crosby's voice makes me feel all warm and safe and I'm laughing at the silly slapstick Romantic entanglements on the screen. Then the song about The Legend of Sleepy Hollow begins and from then on it's one of the best, scariest (with a bit of humour still) kid's animated films. And it's all rather gorgeous to look at.

4. Dolls (1987): A child's fantasy film gone horribly wrong! I used to watch this movie every October but it's been a few years since my last viewing and boy did I miss this movie! This plays like a kid's film, if the kid's film includes Teddy Bears turning into real bears and mauling people, dolls coming to life and biting and stabbing and sawing and clubbing people, and quite a lot of blood. It's a movie produced by Charles Band so you know the dolls are going to be kind of terrifying. I'm so glad to watch this again after some time off. It still works for me. Completely.

5. The Monster Squad (1987): All the jokes I remembered are still funny and the creature designs are pretty darn amazing. Love this tribute to Universal Monsters.

19. maskull

Wow! I can't believe the blu ray I bought on a whim for under $10 is now selling on Amazon.ca for $46. It felt like they were trying to give it away at the point which I bought it.

hulkyduck and indrid13 like this.
  20. maskull

October 2:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Movie 6-12: Yep, I watched all of them except for Part 6 Producer's Cut and Halloween 3. I'm watching them at a later date in the month. I enjoy them all except maybe H20. Yes, I even enjoy Resurrection as a silly, fun slasher film.