The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2018!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 27, 2018.

1. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

Ash vs Evil Dead Season 3 Episode 2 -

Another fun episode. This one has a crazy scene in a male donation bank if you know what I mean. Ash is just way out there. I would post an image but it would kind of spoil the scene as there is a homage to an 80s music video in the scene. But instead of a comic it has a nudie mag.

Happy Death Day -

happy death day.jpg

The movie starts off bad or perhaps just annoying for me. I'm not too fond of the me too thing going on, I could do a me too for both genders and I'm a guy. So seeing the behavior of the main character early on just made me want to turn it off. I thought, am I supposed to care about this person and some of the people around her? But I stuck with it because I tend to like time loop movies and TV shows and I wanted to see the twist. Lucky that I did because even though the twist isn't as good as it could be, I wish there were more clever hints and stuff to pick up on the in the background, it's the performance of the lead actress that saves the movie. Her character arc and how she grows from those opening scenes. She's still a bit crude in parts but you want her to survive and discover her killer. And because of that, I'm in for the sequel to see how she gets into trouble again.

Still the movie could have been up there with the better time twist movies with a bit more thought. I haven't finished reading the wiki but they did have another ending. Which always shows lack of thought to me when movies have multiple endings that they test on crowds. There were a few other things like the silly Asian kid. I thought that sort of thing should have ended in the Friday the 13th remake. Also the black girl with bad eating habits. I didn't know anything was wrong with chocolate milk. I still drink it on occasion and I saw an advertisement with Sloane Stephens drinking chocolate milk and she won the US Open. Aside from those things, the killer and methods of death reminded me of the good Scream and Final Destination entries, which isn't a bad thing. I hope the sequel is really good.

Flatliners 2017 -

flatliners 2017.jpg

I thought this was going to be good. I don't remember much of the original. I think it was more artsy. But the remake fell apart for me. Some sequences reminded me of the Nightmare on Elm Street remake, which isn't a good thing. I'll usually watch just about anything with Ellen Page though. And Diego Luna is pretty cool after seeing him in Star Wars Rogue One. I thought the movie would be more science based from the opening. But it tried to turn into a psychological horror movie then attempted actual horror and failed completely at both. I can't recommend this one.

I've missed some of the Buffy episodes. Also the Angel ones. I'm going to rewatch it all one day and get into the comics that continue the series.

2. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

October 2nd
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4) Kaleidoscope: A snoozer of a psychological thriller that revolves around an emotionally disturbed former conman, who may or may not have murdered a young woman he meets at a nightclub, and his unhealthy relationship with this overbearing mother. The story is not at all interesting as a thriller but does raise some great questions about how monsters are “made” and how our relationships with family can damage us well into adulthood. Toby Jones is great as usual, but the slow burn nature of the story telling is more banal than tense. There were a few good shots here from director Rupert Jones – one involving a stairwell that was great – but the direction mostly fell flat and didn’t do justice to the narrative to convey the lead character’s mental state deteriorating. The conclusion does leave a lot of questions unanswered, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but I did fall unsatisfied when the credit rolled. (5/10)

5) Delirium: Topher Grace portrays a mentally unstable man, who after spending 20 years in an institution as an accessory to a crime, moves back into his childhood home (under house arrest) only to believe it to be haunted. Blumhouse has really gone down hill in terms of quality releases and this Direct-to-DVD stinkbomb is yet another one to be added to the dumpster. The unreliable narrator elements that can make a film like this work so well (i.e. Repulsion) is completely absent here. Instead we get a silly, pointless subplot about his dad’s fortune, a supporting cast that is underdeveloped and who often make silly, unreasonable decisions, and a twist ending that makes even less sense. In addition, Topher Grace gives an embarrassingly lackluster performance and so does the supporting cast. A skippable mess. (3/10)

3. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I'm going to list any random TV Halloween episodes I watch as well.

The list so far
    10/01 - Crescendo
    10/01 - Abbott & Costello Meet The Killer, Boris Karloff
    10/01 - TV Episode: The Munsters Today - Vampire Pie

Last night:
    10/02 - TV Episode: Unhappily Ever After - I Know What You Did in the Closet
    10/02 - Noroi: The Curse
    10/02 - Jack Attack - Short film
    10/02 - The Mummy's Tomb
    10/02 - The Mummy's Ghost

Random thoughts about a few things I watched:

Unhappily Ever After - I Know What You Did in the Closet. If you don't know this show, it was from one of the creators of Married w/ Children. The show is kind of similar only the dad is schizophrenic and talks to a Bobcat Goldthwait-voiced puppet, the son is stupid and the daughter is smart. In this Halloween episode the daughter Tiffany stages several murders to get revenge on her brother for locking her in a closet 10-years earlier. The creepiest thing about this episode is the way the male audience members howl every time the very, uh, bossomy Nikki Cox bounces across the screen.

Noroi - I watched this and Jack Attack on Shudder. If you like Found Footage stuff this is one of the best I've seen. Very eerie, almost suffocating atmosphere at times and little shaky cam until the very end. The psychic guy was way over the top and pretty obnoxious, but overall this is very well done.

The Mummy's Tomb - The first twelve minutes of this 60-minute movie is a recap of the first movie. Normally that's annoying but I actually didn't mind this time because it's been a while since I saw The Mummy's Hand so it was nice to get caught up. Still, that only leaves 48 minutes of actual movie here. Best scene: The mummy is on a balcony holding a girl in a flowing nightgown in his arms and the angry mob just starts chucking torches at him with absolutely no concern for the girl. Or for the actors, those were real torches. That balcony was quite on fire by the end.

4. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

2nd - October Madness No.2 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 2 - SHE BITES!: Scientists should not fool with mother nature but they do and then bad things happen.

[​IMG]

Zaat (1971) Rewatch - Rating: 3/5
    Jumping from industrial films to their sole debut creature feature, Florida filmmakers Don Barton and uncredited co-director Arnold Stevens give us the gift that is Zaat! A scientist conducts biological experiments in a ramshackle lab he's set up inside an abandoned marine building and turns himself into a new and terrifying species - half man, half catfish(!!!) - with the end goal of polluting the rest of Florida's waterways and springs with the transforming chemical to advance the species. Oh, and he also wants to create a new mate! Goofy, absurd, cheap, and with a monster suit unlike anything you've seen (or that the actor can even see out of), Zaat is a bad movie blast!

2nd - October Madness No.3 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 2 Part II - SHE BITES!: Scientists should not fool with mother nature but they do and then bad things happen.

[​IMG]

Kingdom of the Spiders (1977) Rewatch - Rating: 3/5
    The desert town of Verde Valley has a tarantula problem! Due to pesticides used on the surrounding farmland, once cannibalistic creatures are now banding together in hordes to find new food sources moving from the cattle to the local population and town itself! William Shatner hams it up as a male chauvinist veterinarian who's trying to entangle stuntwoman-turned-actress Tiffany Bolling in his love web, who's been brought in to figure out what's going on. While the film is a bit dry in parts and plays out like a '70s made-for-TV movie at times, the final third act is chalk full of spider mayhem and the action-packed finale which has the whole town freaking out is a sight to behold. Also ends on a rather downer, which I think benefits the film in the end.

5. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

October 2nd:
    Mandy
    Unfriended: Dark Web

Gore Lunatic, hulkyduck and indrid13 like this.
  6. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Today: the Amityville murders

It was ok, nothing special, I suppose better than expected, but really just a rehash of part 2, without the Exorcist turn at the end.

Not sure how close to the true story it is, but the daughter Dawn, her death seemed suspect.

Talking of Dawn the actress who played her has a major resemblance to Diane Franklin, almost like she is her daughter.

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    01 10/01 Vampira Presents, The Thirteenth Guest (1932)
    My October opener, played at the witching hour when the clock first strikes twelve. And all for the very simple Vampira opener,"Here, let me darken the room... And we shall commence!" It's an understated yet provocative performance. It's unfortunate that this is all we have of her many performances.

After watching this a few times now, I began to tune out the leading performances of Lyle Talbot and Ginger Rogers and enjoyed more so the character actors Paul Hurst and Erville Alderson. Hurst plays a Buddy Epson like bumbling detective and is used sparingly as comic relief, usually as the unknowing butt end of Talbot's jokes. His timing is great and he never wears out his welcome because unlike other comedic roles where people just ignore the idiocy for the most part Hurst is regularly called out on it. As an audience we know he'll get chastised and that's very satisfying. Alderson pays his role just straight enough to be goofy and yet menacing. It seems he usually only played bit parts that were comedic so it seems like her really relished his opportunity here to play against type while still using his well toned skill set to good use. It's too bad he got such little screen time here but he does make the most of what little the script gives him.

I got a little more wrapped up in the finale this time. The police taking axes to the floor while Ginger Rogers is menaced in the dark cellar. The unabated pounding so close and yet so far away while the hooded killer strangles her in the dark chamber. And her mad glee at escape. Great stuff for a horrific ending.
    [​IMG]
    I did a Google search for "Ginger Rogers gams" and it came back, "Did you mean Ginger Rogers GAMES?" For a company that earns its mint through personal data mining you don't know your Google Image search audience very well do you Google?

[​IMG]
    00 10/01 The Venture Bros.: A Very Venture Halloween (2012) [commentary w/ Jackson Publick and Doc Hammer]
    I'm finishing up watching the commentary tracks of The Venture Bros. Season 5 and while more or less incidental I'll included it. Not my favorite episode and that's mostly because Jackson Publick's A Very Venture Christmas was a spectacular special that set a president that Doc Hammer could not follow through with. As a goth kid himself it feels like Doc Hammer had ironically too much to put in a Halloween episode. As he says in the commentary track he's a sucker for the Hellraiser sequel and would write one for free just for fun. I have to give him credit for including a black face gag in the episode though. Even as edgy as Adult Swim may try to claim to be, that's tough to get approval for and I imagine only happened because it was animation and not a real actor's face.
    [​IMG]
    The commentary is pretty cool here though with Jackson and Doc talking a bit about their own childhood Halloweens. Jackson talks about how him and his brother use to make haunted houses in their home and force their parents through them. I did the exact same thing, dressing up a corner of the basement with as much Halloween and monster kid stuff as I could (which wasn't much) and then dragging my mom and dad through it. And perhaps the key to the episode is that they both talk about how Halloween's are always about the excitement of what could happen but often realistically were just a lame let down. Something of an over arching theme for a show I love and understand. Just hard to take when they're talking about Halloween!

[​IMG]
    02 10/01 Death Becomes Her (1992) [theater]
    Not the first thing that comes to mind for October, but it was playing at the dollar theater and seasonal enough so what the hell. This plays out as a little less gritty Tales From the Crypt and an spoof of Hollywood glamour with Dean Cundey capturing that perfect high gloss look in scene, after scene, after glorious scene. It really is only a movie that someone with the power Zemeckis had at the time could make with its elaborate production. Got a lot of good laughs from the audience and I somewhat surprised to see much more than half of whom were women. But in retrospect this is tailor made for the "fairer sex." All actors are hamming it up just perfectly but the usually blonde Goldie Hawn manages to steal the lime light every time with her blazing red hair. Sydney Pollack has a great cameo in a scene that's about as close to one take as you can get outta Hollywood. With its old Hollywood style mixed with macabre horror this turned out to be a choice way to start off October.

[​IMG]
    As great as the cast here is there is no one more perfectly suited for their role than Isabella Rossellini vamping it up as a Louis Brooks-esque temptress. She makes it look effortless while overshadowing her fellow actors striving to out do each other. I might go against the grain here to suggest that the body double work by Catherine Bell, while appreciated, isn't in keeping with the flapper look she had going. But then a body double is in keeping with the Hollywood visual motif.

[​IMG]
    03 10/01 The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
    So 2018 marks 200 years with Mary Wollestone Shelley's Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus running amuck across the countryside. So I thought I'd kick things off with the Hammer series. The series came to focus on Frankenstein himself rather than his first creation, and that path was forged by the first half of this film which focuses on the development of Baron Von Frankenstein from his youth to adulthood and shows a lot of insight into his character. His endless ambition, his heartless desires, and his selfish aims. He himself commits murder before the monster ever walks. And the murder itself is drawn out, on screen, and showing premeditation of killing someone because he admires them! While the monster's only murders are off screen, largely implied and pure happenstance. It's forty five minutes into this ninety movie before we finally get the "creation scene" and it's a built on a slow burning suspense with Cushing doing his diligence in prepping the equipment, only to leave the room and go down stairs to talk with his mentor, while the tank with the suspended corpse slowly drains (as it did for the dog earlier). While we inter-cut between Cushing's discussion downstairs and the lab upstairs a freak lightning bolts hits the attic causing the apparatus to engage and spark new life into the creature; his breath slowly returning to him. This is very different from the involved, fast cutting, music swelling creation scene established by Whale and so often employed by Universal. It can't be what the audiences were expecting at the time, with certain expectations regularly met by other Frankenstein adaptations, and yet this was built up so well that it pays off. A gutsy sequence and largely unrecognized as such. It's also interesting that the narrative itself seems to rob Frankenstein of this moment. A little bit of cosmic karma perhaps?

The film also comes to show the monster as kowtowed by Frankenstein's merciless hand, locked in a back room literally with the other lab rats; the subject of relentless experiments. It is a chilling portrayal and Cushing's finest role. It is perhaps the polar opposite of the man know for his kindness, generosity and deep love for his wife. Yet later on in his life, after the death of his beloved wife, he threw himself into his work much as Frankenstein did and slipped into a obsessed melancholy; the kind of which drove Mary Shelley to write Frankenstein after the death of her first child and fear of losing her second (which sadly came to pass after publication).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    04 10/02 The Revenge of Frankenstein (1958)
    I already watched this over the past year on Svengoolie but one can never have too much Cushing. This is one of the more satisfying direct sequels from Hammer, made only a year later and referencing many event from the previous film. And the first, and I think only time, Cushing get's a Hunchback. I always say the Hunchback is the kitchen sink of horror films and with Hammer adding cannibalism to the proceedings that pretty well confirms it. Much like the first we have a slow build here, with the creature creation scene only happening at thirty eight minutes in. Yet the monster here is a complete success: a handsome young man with a good head on his shoulders. This is another play against the audience's natural expectations that pays off as the second half of the film plays out. There's some playful nods to sex more overtly if cleverly expressed than other Hammer films of the period. There's also a lot of nice nods to the medical beliefs at the time with many believing dirt offered a layer of protection against diseases and women's natural yearning being diagnosed by doctors as "hysteria."
    [​IMG]
    Frankenstein's extensive brain research since we last saw him seems to show some character development as he shows a greater understanding of psychology. Yet while he seemed to know what Karl would do he showed poor judgement in how the community at large would react to learning his true identity. His own ego prevents him from seeing how these actions can turn back on him. A fatal flaw that dooms him throughout the series. Continuing those themes of blind ambition, Karl's inability to be patient and instead having his selfish desires overcome the logic of his situation devolves as he makes more and more bad decisions. The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree, as the saying goes.

[​IMG]
    05 10/03 Mystery Science Theater 3000 Presents, Being From Another Planet ( Time Walker ) (1982)
    This happened to be queued up in the MST3k boxset I left off on so I figured I go with it. It's a fun mostly-mummy movie that has some 70's underpinnings but is pretty firmly set in the 80's even at 1982. Its Ancient Aliens plot points are pretty fun (with some Lovecraft Colour Out Of Space thrown in for good measure) and with some modifications could be even further expanded upon with the current theory's today that King Tut was the sun of an alien.

The half way through the episode sketch was a parody of typical children's Halloween parties where blindfolded kids are given a bowl full of "eyes," "guts," "hair," and "brains" with a fun little twist at the end. Not explicitly for the season but well suited to the throw back to monster suited horror flick they were watching. It's a fun harmless flick so it's pretty incredible when Tom declares it to be the worst they've yet seen and is re-enforced when Joel and Crow throw out an endless list of titles until they reach Fu Manchu which Tom claims is its equal. They would go on to watch patently worst films like Monster A Go Go, but it's still an absurd statement.

[Side note: Ugh, image search engines majorly suck now. It's virtually impossible to find good screenshots of title screens or select blog hosts that can easily handle all bandwidth the eye balls on this thread generate. I spend so much time trying to find this shit that I'd be FASTER to pirate these movies, upload what I want to a free blog, and link to that!]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  8. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Oct 1. The Thing (1982)
    Arrow UK Blu

I've seen this a million times but watched it with my 8 year old because he's kind of ready for *certain* films and really wanting to watch horror movies. No nudity, no "real" violence - just fantasy violence. Anyway - he loved it and it was fun to watch it through his fresh eyes. The blood test sequence and the sequence with Brimley and Moffat made him jump/scream. And the ending... the idea that the film would leave you with no closure. He loved it.

9. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Now that you mention it, this might be something my 8 year niece might like. She's a total gooey gorehound and she'll get invested in the dogs...though that might not work out so well.

10. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

Oct 2nd SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 2 - SHE BITES!: Scientists should not fool with mother nature but they do and then bad things happen.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

So far I'm enjoying the challenge. Besides the two films I watched a bit of a DVD about the career of the Undertaker.

[​IMG]

11. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #3:
    I Start Counting (1970)
    First time viewing (YouTube)
    ***1/2 (out of 5)

Heard about this today on Letterboxd. The synopsis intrigued me because it seemed to have to a lot in common with Found, a movie I helped get distribution a few years back. This is a hard-to-find British thriller which shares the coming-of-age with a serial killing sibling dynamic with Found, but in this one a young Jenny Agutter is in love with her murderous step brother! It was apparently never released in the states (I had to watch it on YouTube, a terrible way to watch movies), but with distribution handled by United Artists I have to imagine that one of the many boutique Blu-ray labels with an MGM deal could get their hands on it.
    [​IMG]
    Movie #4:
    Pi (1998)
    Rewatch (Shudder)
    ***1/2 (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    3. MATHS AND NUMEROLOGY: The plot must revolve around numbers in some way. Count on this theme to be a tough one.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  12. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Just when you think that scene couldn't have been any worse...so awful!!!

hulkyduck and indrid13 like this.
  13. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 3

A little tighter on time today, but managed 4 nonetheless. Mostly older stuff including some earlier Corman stuff via the double doses of Horror on Amazon.

10. A Bucket of Blood (1959) Amazon Prime-Enjoyed this. 1st time viewing and thought it was cool that the double feature was a couple of early Corman classics. Part humor and part horror here.

11. Shock Waves (1977) Blu-I seem to re-visit this one very year. I love the atmosphere and concept. Seen it quite a few times and will probably go back to it often.

12. It's Alive (1974) Blu-I had never seen this until I picked up the recent box set. I watched it back then and decided to do a refresh with it as I will probably do the other two movies as well. Definite 70's feeling movie that was okay. A little harder to keep my attention, but still an okay watch.

13. Beast from Haunted Cave (1959) Amazon Prime-The other Corman feature. Found this one to be a bit more boring. I'm sure it has its audience, but I had a hard time staying interested unfortunately. It was cool to see this older stuff from the Cormans .

Enjoying the variety of movies everyone are sharing. So many different eras and styles!

~Rocker10

14. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/2/18

EYEBALL (1975)

[​IMG]

After a rough experience viewing Slave of the Cannibal God the previous day, I went forward with another Italian horror film. Call it a coincidence, but this one has an Italian cannibal connection. Director Umberto Lenzi made a few of those films. Fortunately he made a number of giallo films as well, a couple of which I had seen before. Eyeball was a first time feature and a much better viewing experience!

A group of American tourists are on vacation in Barcelona and taking in the sights with a paid tour guide. Some lousy weather scores them all complimentary red raincoats. Doesn't take too long before someone wearing one of these raincoats starts carving them up and removing an eyeball from the victims. The murders can happen just about anywhere and any time of day. A police detective one week from retirement is on the case while trying to bring his younger replacement up to speed.

Eyeball does its best to keep some mystery with the killer. One red herring after another gets crossed off the list. Lots of questionable behavior at different times can make just about any of them look suspicious. Don't expect natural behavior here from the pool of victims. Often crazy antics, but that's part of the film's charm. I especially enjoyed the scene at the old fashioned "dark ride" haunted house.

This was a very entertaining film. I imagine that Eyeball will have pretty strong replay value for me. Fantastic Blu-ray package from 88 Films by the way: sharp feature presentation, pretty generous supplements, and all kinds of neat little collectible cards inside of this limited edition set.

15. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

A couple of days late but here we go...

Halloween (1978)
    Halloween II (1981)
    Halloween: H20

Once again starting things off with my version of the Halloween trilogy. Always love kicking the Halloween season off with these films. Really gets me in the mood. Looking forward to the new film as well.

Hell Fest
    Blood Fest
    The Houses October Built

Hell Fest was a decent straight forward slasher with an old-school feel. A couple of good kills, seeing Tony Todd in the big screen again (though he had a very small role) and having the entire theatre to myself was worth the six bucks I spent. Decided to skip on over to Best Buy afterwards to pick up Blood Fest on bluray (yes, I planned this). I enjoyed Blood Fest a lot more than Hell Fest. It was basically Cabin In The Woods but in a haunted attraction setting and more comedic. I liked most the characters (the actor who plays Peter Parker's best friend in Homecoming is in it) and the film is quite bloody. To keep the whole haunted attraction theme going, I ended the night with The Houses October Built. I really like this film, it was originally planned to be a documentary on Haunts then later turned into a found footage film.

16. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

Oct 3rd-
    #SCVpsychochallenge: 3. MATHS AND NUMEROLOGY: The plot must revolve around numbers in some way. Count on this theme to be a tough one.
    [​IMG]

Been a long time since I'd last seen Cube. Still holds up really well. I've never seen the other two in the series though.

[​IMG]

I also checked out Don't Breathe. Firts time viewing. Was a cool little thriller. Jane Levy and Stephen Lang were both excellent. The only real problem I had was the opening shot gives away part of the climax. That opening just wasn't needed.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  17. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

October 3rd
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6) The Night Eats the World: A young, American man wakes up after an all-night rager to discover the entire city of Paris is overrun with the undead. A good zombie movie is hard to come by these days, and “The Night Eats the World” does more good than it does bad. The flick follows the lead, who is trapped inside an abandoned apartment complex is desperately tries to stay alive and keep his sanity. We only have one character for the majority of the run time – with minimal dialogue – and the director does a great job with the visual story telling to move the plot along. The practical effects here are top notch and the performance from the lead is quite good, really conveying his character’s sense of despair and loneliness admits impending doom. The plot has a fair amount stupidity that brought the film down a peg
    The dude falls asleep in another room, only to wake up the next morning to find the apartment trash and blood smeared on the walls. How no one tried to enter his room to seek refuge, or why the undead didn’t enter is confusing and a gaping hole in the plot. This guy also plays the drums at one point and even ventures outside the safety of the complex without his shotgun! What a fucking moron.
    A descent zombie flick overall, if not a bit disappointing. (6/10)

7) Patient Zero: In a post-apocalyptic world where the infected out number the living, a small group of soldiers and scientists desperately seek answers to save humanity. Despite owing a lot to zombie/infection films of yesterday – notably “28 Days Later” and Romero’s “Day of the Dead” – “Patient Zero” does bring some new and interesting ideas to the table, although those ideas are not well executed. The Film’s biggest problem boils down to bad storytelling and poor world building. In the short 90-minute runtime, the filmmakers try to compact too many ideas and subplots w/o actively building an over arching main story. I liked Matt Smith, who plays a character that is Immune to the infection and can now communicate with the infected. The big issue with this is that it does not add up to anything of substance. Hell, all of the various subplots lead to dead ends and that just drags down what little right this movie does. On the upside, the cast is charming – even if a good helping of the acting can be clunky and over the top – and the chaotic action sequence towards the end was ok, it just wasn’t earned. “Patient Zero” suffered from bad direction, poor cinematography (to much of this was poorly underexposed), and a narrative that felt chopped up and incomplete. Not good. (4/10)

8) The Cured: Having found the cure to a zombie outbreak, the formally undead struggle to re-enter society as they face discrimination. If the social commentary wasn’t obvious enough by that description, “The Cured” is more than a little on the nose with its message. I’d like to consider myself a forward thinking and tolerant person, but I don’t like it when films like this one try to beat you over the head with its social commentary. It doesn’t help matters that the dialogue is exposition heavy handed. After a while I felt like I was watching an after school special. The story di have some good ideas, they’re just handled in a muddle way. What is worse is the shaky cam direction, to give it a rawer, documentary style, that clashes with the wooden acting. I just couldn’t get absorbed into what could have been a truly emotional story about acceptance. Yet another tale of interesting idea; bad execution. (5/10)

18. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Man, I really wish I could do that Scarecrow Video challenge. I just don't have enough time to watch the movies I want to watch in October, I just know I'd feel like watching movies specifically for the challenge would end up feeling like a chore rather than something I do for pleasure. Don't get me wrong, I highly admire the aspects they cover, I just worry about totally being in a mood to watch Night of the Living Dead, but no, I can't watch that, tonight I have to watch a movie featuring math (and before you say it, yes I could watch both, but I simply don't have the time).

And I say this every year, but props to those here who (1) seek out movies beyond the "usual suspects", and (2) give detailed summaries with recommendations/avoids. The Night Eats the World was just added to my Netflix queue.

hulkyduck, Rocker10, indrid13 and 2 others like this.
  19. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

3rd - October Madness No.4 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 3 - MATHS AND NUMEROLOGY: The plot must revolve around numbers in some way. Count on this theme to be a tough one.

[​IMG]

Wishmaster (1997) Rewatch - Rating: 3.5/5
    Robert Kurtzman (of legendary KNB FX) directs this Peter Atkins (Hellraiser II) penned horror movie, which spawned a franchise of absolutely dreadful sequels, about a Djinn (scene chewing Andrew Divoff) who's trying to get Tammy Lauren to make her three wishes so he can fulfil his evil prophecy. But there's numerous things to count here that add up to a sum of horror hits! First, the cast includes pretty much every heavy hitter in horror, and even a couple lesser knowns: Robert Englund (A Nightmare on Elm Street), Kane Hodder (Friday the 13th Part VII), Tony Todd (Candyman), Angus Scrimm (Phantasm), Reggie Bannister (Phantasm), Joe Pilato (Day of the Dead), Ted Raimi (Evil Dead II), Danny Hicks (Intruder), George 'Buck' Flower (Drive-In Massacre), Chris Lemmon (Just Before Dawn), Tom Savini (Dawn of the Dead). You've even got John Byner (TV's Bizarre and Friday the 13th: The Series) in a small role! Horror fans always wished these folks would be in a one movie, and it came true here in Wishmaster. Second, you've got Wes Craven and legendary Canadian producer Pierre David producing. Third, the KNB team doing the practical effects - and this movie is non-stop gore gags! All adds up to an bloody extravaganza, which in plot and direction may play out a bit as it's pretty '90s dated, but this movie is a blast otherwise! Another thing you can count on in this movie is that everyone smokes - seriously, make a drinking game every time you see a cigarette and you'll be annihilated in no time!

20. Jamie

Jamie Member

I watched two movies last night, but they were both re-watches for me..

Vicious Lips - All girl Rock band in space. The concept alone is good enough for me, but Im a big fan of Albert Pyun's films anyways. I wonder what this would have been like if he had a bigger budget to work with. I really like this movie (it's loaded with 80s-ness), specially the scenes where the band plays.

Death Wish 3 - I've seen this a bunch of times since it came out, but tonight it occurred to me that the ending shootout looks like a video game. And I think it's funny how Ed Lauter calls Bronson 'dude' throughout the movie!