The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2018!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Body Melt

First time viewing for me. Story wise, this flick is a mess. But I had a blast with it. Practical fx throughout, some pretty gross..... it was strange though, the majority of the film takes place during the day. I feel it added a weird tone..... there were a few scenes that could have been downright creepy but in broad day light and a funky soundtrack altered that. Especially the scene with the pregnant girl. Anyways, I was happy with my blind buy.... cool little flick. OH and there was a 10 min sequence that really reminded me of House of 1000 Corpses, just a little more light hearted. I wonder if Rob Zombie is a fan of this one.

2. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

1. Crimson Peak (Guillermo del Toro, 2015)

[​IMG]

The reputation of this film kept me from watching it for a few years. I was looking for a film to start on September 30th, with the intention of finishing it after midnight (starting a movie after midnight when I'm working the next day just isn't an option I'm afraid), and this seemed like a good candidate, though. So this was my first time seeing it. I know a lot of people really didn't like it, and I guess I can see why...it's not much of a horror film. It's much more of a Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights-type of gothic romance, with a few ghosts thrown in. But for what it is, I really enjoyed it. The production design was beautiful (as per usual with del Toro), and although it was fairly slowly paced, I was still interested throughout. I'm not a big fan of Mia Wasikowska, so she wouldn't have been my choice to lead the film. But I guess she was ok. Hiddleston, Chastain, and Hunnam are all fine though. There are several visual and thematic references to The Shining, which I really liked: an isolated snowbound manner, a lone would-be savior racing through the snowy night, the bathtub imagery, the way the ghosts move towards the camera, and I think i even noticed the number 237 in here at some point, although I can't remember where (can someone remind me?). So that was pretty cool. Not del Toro's best, but not nearly as disappointing as I was expecting - it was a pretty good way to start the season!

(oh, and I ended up going to bed halfway through this, around 11 o'clock on the night of the 30th - I only finished it the night of Oct 1st)

3. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 3RD:
    The Amityville Horror (2005)
    The House By The Cemetery
    The House On Tombstone Hill

hulkyduck, Rocker10 and indrid13 like this.
  4. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #5:
    The First Purge (2018)
    First time viewing (Redbox DVD)
    **1/2 (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    4. FRANCHISE DAY: Pick something from any franchise that has four or more entries. Bonus points if it has a fast food eating scene in it - have it your way.

Not a big fan of this series, they’re all basically ok. But I just watched the previous 3 a few months back so the timing of this prequel’s home video release made it so I could check it out and check off a day on the challenge. Probably my least favorite of the lot, but still not terrible. Like with the others an interesting premise is squandered by the mediocre writing.

5. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 4

Today was filled with chaos, so I ended up with 3. Probably make it up this weekend.

14. The House on Tombstone Hill (1989) Blu-This was a blind buy for me. Wasn't too bad. Loved Bob's aggressive attitude. I remember seeing the house in these recently in a meme somewhere. Really odd looking building. Love the work that Vinegar Syndrome does and it seemed to be good here as well. Fairly average movie that does entertain.

15. The Night Strangler (1972) Blu-Right after I mentioned not getting this from Amazon and wondering why, I got a ship notice. It got here pretty quick too. Honestly, I never paid much attention to the Kolchak series, but may have to take a look at it after seeing the two made for TV movies. Entertaining horror themes in both and always love the nostalgia watching these early 70's brings. Kino make these look pretty good. I was going to check out Seattle Underground years ago when I visited but never quite made it. Not actually sure where it was although some research would have helped. That was featured in this movie to a point. Loved seeing Oscar Gold...I mean Richard Anderson in this one too.

16. The Monster Squad (1987) Amazon Prime-I've seen this one mentioned quite a few times, recently and years past in the Halloween thread. Never took the time to watch until now. Loved this. Good humor and great content made this a very fun movie that I should have seen long before now. Good things come from reading all of your write ups.

Looking forward to the weekend although I will be covering for a co-worker which will make this next week a bit tough. The movie watching will be a nice distraction from it.

~Rocker10

6. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

October 4th: Grave Robbers (1988)

Okay, so I thought I'd kick October off with something I hadn't seen before: Grave Robbers, wherein a waitress accepts a marriage proposal from a funeral director she's never met before, only to find that there's something off about him. Now, I enjoy low-budget horror, and low-budget this definitely is - a few zombies and corpses pop up, and they are cheap and rubbery, and the plot involves a motorcycle crash and a car crash, both of which happen off screen. Now, such imperfections can be expected with B-movies, but the problems don't end there. The main actress delivers her lines in a lifeless, droning way, as if she's saying them in her sleep, and though the movie does feature an attractive small town location, much of it is brightly lit and there simply isn't a lot of atmosphere. Finally, there are attempts at comedy, but it doesn't really work, in part because the main actress couldn't deliver a punch line to save her life. The movie does get one thing nearly right: The chase near the end, with the heroine fleeing town in a stolen hearse, chased by a guy on a motorcycle who turns out to be a re-animated corpse whose skin sloughs off as he speeds to catch her. The idea is better than the execution, but as they say, it's the thought that counts.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    Rocker10, CPT HOOK, hulkyduck and 3 others like this.
  7. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I've been catching up on some of the Dark Discussions podcasts. Usually I'll listen to the ones from the more notable horror movies to see if they caught something I missed. Or if they found a horror movie I didn't know about.

http://www.darkdiscussions.com

Ash vs Evil Dead Season 3 -

I believe I'm halfway through the series now. I realized that I'm ok with the dark and over the top violence in this series compared to The Walking Dead which I stopped watching years ago. There are many scenes in this series which should be in bad taste but because of the humor and Ash's performance they aren't that bad. If the last episodes keep the consistent tone I'll own the complete series easily.

Predator 1 & 2 -

I grew up on these movies. I watched the original Predator in theaters. I think going in I only knew it was a Schwarzenegger movie. I'm fairly sure I didn't see a trailer. It's possible I just went to the movies and saw the poster outside and knew to check it out.

predator.jpg

So everything was new from the plot to the actual reveal of the creature. And when the creature finally reveals himself at the waterfall, he was bad ass. Because of Predator, I had a Dutch bag and would play in the mud every time it would rain, coating myself in mud and dirt. That way a potential Predator wouldn't see me hiding in my backyard bushes with my bb guns and makeshift fireworks.

I think I saw Predator 2 for the first time on TV. I don't remember why I missed it in theaters. Perhaps the nudity pushed the rating. But I remember seeing Lethal Weapon in theaters so I don't know. But still both of these movies are awesome. Predator 2 even has the same actors playing the hero and bad guy as Lethal Weapon. And let's not forget the Predator disc throw is still the best Predator kill scene. You can't mess with these two movies. The soundtracks are classic too.

I'm starting to think that these horror movie remakes of 80s characters need to stop. No one has made a better Alien, Terminator, or Predator movie since the first two for all of those series. It's just Alien and Aliens. Terminator and T2. Predator and Predator 2. I've posted about starting my little collection to these movies after seeing this major one.

I can't wait to get my setup finished hopefully in the next year or so.

f0t0z00m, Rocker10, hulkyduck and 2 others like this.
  8. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/3/18

BLOOD AND LACE (1971)

[​IMG]

During my October horror marathon, I try to watch as many films as possible for the first time. Day three was no exception. Not to be confused with Mario Bava's Blood and Black Lace, this film is an entirely different beast. Watched the Scream Factory release.

A "work from home" prostitute and her client are bludgeoned to death via hammer in their sleep, followed by a fire. In the aftermath, her underage daughter Ellie (Melody Patterson) is sent to a less than reputable orphanage. Limited options in a small town setting? Seems to be. The orphanage is run by Gloria Grahame and creepy handyman Len Lesser, who looks and smells like he just rolled out of the drunk tank. Doesn't take long to realize awful things are going on here. All the more reason why a steady number of young residents attempt to run away.

Blood and Lace pretty quickly lets the viewer in on the dark side of the orphanage, but saves a couple twists for later on. The story maintains a sleaze factor throughout. You get the impression nearly every guy living in the area has slept with the whore mom at some point. Doomed to follow in her footsteps perhaps, Ellie inspires lustful thoughts from nearly everyone. She even gets into a catfight with another girl. The opening double murder is a little off, simply because of how quiet and subdued it all goes down. Must have been due to the "GP" rating, which was the precursor to the "PG" rating? Lurking about the orphanage property is a menacing creep wearing a boogeyman mask, which adds to the foreboding atmosphere.

It was cool to see Vic Tayback in a horror film. He's best known for the classic sitcom Alice and was also great in the 1960's Star Trek episode A Piece of the Action.

Not what I would call an obscure classic, Blood and Lace is still an entertaining early 70's horror film. It would probably play well as a double feature with Warlock Moon (1973). Honestly though, I like Warlock Moon more.

f0t0z00m, Rocker10, hulkyduck and 3 others like this.
  9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

^ If you were a Seinfeld fan, then "Uncle Leo" from that show had a prominent role in Blood and Lace.

indrid13 and hulkyduck like this.
  10. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

October 3:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

All are rewatches.

13. A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984): Yeah, I think it's official. I now feel this is my favourite ANOES movie of the series. Sure part 3 has the awesome Dokken song, but this one is more of a dark, scary, straight up horror film. Freddy's burns are disgusting and the practical effects are top notch, and like I said, the humour doesn't get in the way of the horror/gore/nightmarish mood. There is a little bit of humour, but it's pitch black.

14. Nightmare Beach (1989): So I've always enjoyed a good spring break sex comedy. The really good ones are some of my favourite types of movies. Little did I know, when I first watched this movie, that if you add in a motorbike gang, corrupt police chief John Saxon, a heavy metal soundtrack, drunk Medical Examiner Michael Parks, an electric chair execution of a criminal, and a person riding around on a motorbike, frying people with electricity (and occasionally strangling them), that you can actually make a good spring break sex comedy even better! That's something I learned thanks to Mr. Umberto Lenzi. He has educated us all.

15. Anthropophagus (1980): Slow moving, atmospheric horror that just makes me feel dirty while watching it but also thinking the location is rather pretty. You know something bad is coming, the signs are there, but I'm pretty sure you're not prepared for That Scene that this movie is famous for. Even though I've already seen this movie multiple times I was pretty ugh! when it happens. Really great gore and Big George Eastman with mud caked on his face, looking pretty darn terrifying...though I'm pretty sure he looks terrifying without the makeup as well.

16. Burial Ground (1981): Zombies bleed various coloured puss and have maggots dripping off of them and when their heads are smashed it looks like rotted pudding dripping out. And that's nowhere near the grossest thing in this movie. A group of people get trapped at a home (mansion) in the country and a bunch of zombies rise up and attack them. Plentiful gore, skin ripping, punctures, entrails, and cool zombies masks ensue. This movie is gory and bonkers for pretty much the entire runtime. And then there's the "kid" and his mom.

17: The House By The Cemetery (1981): So back in the day I was into tape trading (look it up!), mostly metal demos and the like, but every once in a while I'd get a horror VHS from one of my friends. One particular tape, I think he'd sent me Don't Look In The Basement but I can't be sure, featured a bunch of trailers for other horror movies and assorted weird stuff. That's how I discovered HBTC. There was a short scene edited into all the other horrors of a kid with his head being held to a door as someone on the other side was hacking the door with an axe. That's it. I didn't know how that scene played out or anything about Lucio Fulci or much about horror. My education was mostly Freddy, Jason, Fright Night, Lost Boys and whichever weird movie they'd play late at night on City TV or the occasional bit I'd see on that Elvira show that I never really watched because she kept interrupting the movie. Anyway the years passed and I somewhat forgot about the boy with his head pressed against the door, inches away from a bloody death. Then came DVD. And the internet. And Horror Forums. I finally found out about the movie and this dude called Fulci that everyone was gaga over. I finally saw what happened to the kid, Bob. Honestly I was a little disappointed with that scene the first time I saw it but the rest of the movie I totally fell in love with. I'm still in love with it and even got over not seeing Bob get his head split in two.

11. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

October 4th

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9) The Lullaby: A teenage runaway returns home to her mother with her newborn son only to be stalked by something sinister. I liked this film’s bold attempt at presenting post pardon depression through a psychological thriller lens, but it comes up massively short. The biggest flaws come down to the melodramatic tone, the bad acting and the obvious nature behind what was really going on in the narrative. The film looks cheap and flat, featuring a dark atmosphere that is presented in a contrived and unappealing fashion. There are a few good scenes that uses a fish eye lens, but the visual aesthetic is lacking. Throw in overdone, crummy jump scares and you get something unflattering and boring. (4/10)

10) Stephanie: There is no worse sin a movie can make than not knowing what genre of film it wants to be. Even worse, this film doesn’t seem to know who’s its target audience is. This confusing mess is a Frankenstein’s monster of domestic drama, psychological thriller, sci-fi fantasy, post-apocalypse (I think?), with a supernatural twist. The film opens with a little girl in her home, unsupervised, and who may be being stalked by an unseen force. As the narrative progresses, it only gets more confusing. Her parents don’t even show up until about the 30-minute mark, and we don’t get a good explanation as to where they were. I’m struggling to find the words to express what was actually going on because when the next scene happens it usually contradicts something that proceeded it. I felt like I was watching three different films smash together in a head on Collision, it’s that perplexing and nonsensical. Throw in some bad acting, D-grade CGI, a non-ending, and what you get is nothing sort of a disaster. (1/10)

12. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Well-Known Member

been a tough couple of days due to heavy work commitments so it severely curtailed my viewing

11. The Crazies (2010) First time watch.
    Blu Ray. Ive been sitting on this for a few years , tonight felt like the time to spin this up.
    One of the better remakes i have seen , kept the essence of the original without totally modernising it and losing what made the first film so good. In fact in these days of surveillance and everything we do being monitored it seems the original was well ahead of the time.

Although this was well made and scarier than the original i still prefered the original mainly due to Romero putting every penny of his what must have been a miniscule budget on the screen to being edgier in its execution.

All in all a good watch.

7/10

12. Unfriended - Dark Web First time watch

Streaming. Having enjoyed the first film i was looking forward to catching this. Although a sequel this was a totally different story from the first film. The film starts off very slowly then ramps up the tension throughout the film. The ending felt like it was trying to copy a Saw film with with all the story elements coming together at the conclusion and trying to surprise you with its misdirection.

You could see the twist coming a mile away and felt a little bit improbable that the victims could be framed like they did.

Enjoyed the first better but still a good first watch and ill definately watch this again.

6/10

13. Pieces (1982) First time watch
    Blu ray Arrow version. Another film ive always been meaning to get round to watch and has been sitting in my watch pile since its release.
    This was one crazy , funny film . The story of a crazed killer killing co-eds by chainsaw was a lot of fun with random bits of crazyness thrown in like the kung fu teacher who out of the blue tries to assault our heroine for no apparent reason , then falls to the floor then gets up and leaves , to the police letting a tennis coach and teenage student just help with the investigation and then that ending WTF.

My Favorite first watch of the month so far and cant wait to check it out again.

8/10

f0t0z00m, Rocker10, indrid13 and 5 others like this.
  13. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

What a great film! Pieces has high replay value. When Christopher George (police lieutenant) surveys the aftermath of the murder at the swimming pool with shoddy skills, it's a strong indication this won't be an ordinary investigation or slasher film.

Let's not forget Paul Smith either!

[​IMG]

hulkyduck, indrid13 and maskull like this.
  14. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I have never watched Seinfeld, but just now looked up photos of the actor in character. :D

[​IMG]

hulkyduck, indrid13 and maskull like this.
  15. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

2. Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon (Scott Glosserman, 2006)

[​IMG]

Another first time viewing of a (relatively) new film. I don't know that I would have ever watched this, but Scream Factory releasing it kind of got my attention. That, and I'm not too fond of mockumentary/found footage films. So when I started this, it didn't impress me much out of the gate. But the deeper I got into it, the more I began to enjoy it. The movie's humour kind of clicked around the 20 minute mark, and the Leslie Vernon character, who initially seemed irritating, became pretty fun. There's a last minute twist which I saw coming quite a ways off, but it's still handled pretty nicely, and on the whole I ended up enjoying this.

So far so good this season. Two movies that I was pleasantly surprised by.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  16. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 4TH:
    Ghostbusters
    Ghostbusters: Answer The Call (Extended Edition)

hulkyduck, Rocker10 and indrid13 like this.
  17. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Previously...
    10/01 - Crescendo
    10/01 - Abbott & Costello Meet The Killer, Boris Karloff
    10/01 - TV Episode: The Munsters Today - Vampire Pie
    10/02 - TV Episode: Unhappily Ever After - I Know What You Did in the Closet
    10/02 - Noroi: The Curse
    10/02 - Jack Attack - Short film
    10/02 - The Mummy's Tomb
    10/02 - The Mummy's Ghost

10/03 - Piranha II: The Spawning
    10/03 - Zombie Dead (Zonbi-Dedd0)
    10/04 - TV Episode: Unhappily Ever After - Ryan, Vampire Slayer
    10/04 - Satan's Slaves
    10/04 - Abbott & Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Piranha II - Obviously the flying piranha aspect of this movie is ridiculous, but I still think this is a pretty fun movie with some pretty gross gore.

Zombie Dead - This is a piece of shit hour-long Japanese zombie movie with two hot girls and two zombies in an abandoned hospital. While a piece of shit, it's not as much a piece of shit as you'd expect from the cover:

[​IMG]

It's got a bit of atmosphere in the beginning and some effectively creepy music, it's just kinda of dull and repetitive. There's one scene where a girl is tied to a chair and keeps kicking a zombie away as she tries to untie herself that lasts for almost two minutes. Cut to her kicking, then back to the zombie being kicked. Repeat. For two minutes.

Unhappily Ever After - Ryan, Vampire Slayer - Another Halloween episode, this time a cheerleader/vampire slayer (but not really) is injured and Ryan has to take over. Not much horror in one of these episodes, but there is a Yoko Ono/Priscilla Presley joke that's told literally 5 times. This scene in a graveyard has a great spooky, slightly Hammer look about it.

[​IMG]

Satan's Slaves - Premiered on Shudder last night. This is a solid Indonesian Conjuring style movie with a lot of creepy imagery and one absolute doozy of an out-of-nowhere death scene. It's pretty realistic, that actor might've actually died. No, I just checked. He's okay.

The only bad thing for me was the very end features a couple who weren't in the movie until the last 20-seconds dancing over the end credits. For some reason, I really hate watching dancing. So having some people who weren't even in the movie dancing for no reason for three minutes at the end bugged me.

Abbott & Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll & Mr Hyde - This is a lot of fun when it picks up, but it takes about 20 minutes before it becomes an A&C movie. It's like they were late getting there and they started without them. This one gets pretty weird:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    hulkyduck, Rocker10, indrid13 and 2 others like this.
  18. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #6:
    Quicksilver Highway (1997)
    First time viewing (Anchor Bay DVD)
    * (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    5. 1 2 3 4 CLIVE: Clive Barker was born on October 5th. Celebrate any of his gruesome cinematic deeds.

I was initially thinking I could watch the Rawhead Rex Blu-ray for this slot. But I’ve seen that film before and didn’t love it the first time, so I thought I’d get more enjoyment out of this Stephen King/Clive Barker anthology. I was wrong. After the King story about the chattering teeth toy that comes alive I thought “this is kinda bad”. After the Barker story about hands revolting against people (and even talking to each other, one of the lamest things I’ve ever seen) I thought “this is atrocious”.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  19. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

Oct 4th-
    #SCVpsychochallenge Guideline: 4. FRANCHISE DAY: Pick something from any franchise that has four or more entries. Bonus points if it has a fast food eating scene in it - have it your way.

[​IMG]
    Ghoulies IV is a greasy cheese ball of a film. If you like bad films (I do) then it's a fine time killer.

X-human, hulkyduck, maskull and 3 others like this.
  20. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

3. The Watcher in the Woods (John Hough, 1980)

[​IMG]

My 6 year old daughter is really embracing the idea of watching scary movies as we get towards Halloween, which is pretty awesome. Today I suggested we watch this. I think I'd seen it once, back in the 80's. I remembered the blindfolded girl standing on a pedestal, with lightning all around her, but that was about it. My wife ended up watching it too, and we were all pretty engrossed for the majority of the runtime. I won't spoil the end for anyone who hasn't seen it, but from what I've read it's kind of notorious in how underwhelming it is. A great, atmospheric build up, with a pretty disappointing pay off.

After it was over we watched the alternate endings, and they're substantially different, involving some really great practical effects. None of the endings really worked in the context of the rest of the movie, though. I feel like it was going in a certain direction, and if it had stuck with that it could have been a really wonderful film. Still, we had a good time, and my daughter really enjoyed it.

hulkyduck, indrid13, maskull and 3 others like this.