The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2018!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Lost Boys (1987)

My son and I got this in tonight. Still plays more as 80s comedy than horror but lots of fun, especially the finale. We live in SoCal but have been to the Santa Cruz (“Santa Carla”) Boardwalk with him and it’s still pretty much the same so that was fun too. Great soundtrack.

Next up for he and I is Evil Dead 2. Things are getting serious.

2. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I actually enjoyed this, terrible as it is.

hulkyduck and indrid13 like this.
  3. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 5

Ended up being Larry Cohen night. Minus 1 that is.

17. Anthropophagus (1980) Blu-This one was a blind buy just recently. I've grown to be a big fan of Italian style horror even with all of the bad dubbing and acting. There is just something different in their approach. This one was a bit slow, but captivating nonetheless. It was mentioned earlier about 'the scene'. I had heard about that and yeah... 'the scene'. Anyway, some slightly different ideas from the norm in this one.

18. It's Alive Again (1978) Blu-Part of the recent It's Alive boxset. I enjoyed this one, probably the most of the three. Kept me interested and I liked the characters in it. Kind of the same general idea as the first, but still worked out decent.

19. It's Alive III: Island of the Alive (1987) Blu-Well, this was a pretty goofy direction to go with the series. This movie ended up being quite stupid. My least favorite of the three.

20. The Ambulance (1990) Blu-The surprise of the month so far. I had never even heard of this movie until Shout Factory's announcement. I picked it up on a blind buy and held off watching until now. I loved this movie. Eric Roberts performance was awesome. Loved his wit and attitude throughout. Nice seeing Red Buttons as well as James Earl Jones who was also a crackup with his performance. Very entertaining movie in my opinion. It was horror themed but played out with a lot of action and dark comedy. I'll definitely revisit this one from time to time.

Pretty good watch today. Gonna kick into some more Italian stuff soon, was just watching a lot of my unwatched first time stuff.

~Rocker10

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Next time you're up that way, Grandpa's house from the movie is in a public park nearby, just off Hwy 1.

I'm actually in northern California right now, which is why I haven't had time to watch any horror so far this month. When I get home next week, I'll definitely be adding to this thread.

5. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Today:

The strange case of Dr Jekyll and Miss Osborne.

A blind purchase that a got very cheap. Quite a strange one, not really coherent story wise, more a visual assault on the senses, Udo Keir who's always fun and the insanely gorgeous Marina Pierro. A bit to arty for me, however I found enough to enjoy but will not be returning for a second viewing.

6. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/4/18

THE CHANGELING (1980)

[​IMG]

October selection #4 is a film I have not seen in 10 years. My last viewing of The Changeling was when Netflix DVD rentals were popular. That's how I last saw this one. This time I revisited in style with the impressive Second Sight (UK) Blu-ray release.

Tragedy strikes a family vacation as John Russell (George C. Scott) suffers through a brutal personal loss in the opening few minutes. An established music composer and professor, John relocates four months later from New York to Seattle. Upon landing an advanced music class teaching gig at a local university, he finds a rental house through the historical society. This isn't an ordinary house, but a massive turn of the century home that has been vacant for 12 years. The new tenant realizes he is not alone after ghostly manifestations are stirred up. Validation comes following a séance and ongoing personal investigation by Russell. Skeletons emerge (including a literal one) in the quest for the truth.

Having now seen this film a handful of times over the years, The Changeling certainly holds up well for this viewer. The script is strong. At the heart of the haunting is a rather complex mystery buried under roughly 80 years of secrets and scandal. George C. Scott is terrific as the lead. The tragic figure he plays is an ideal connection for a restless spirit. You learn while watching the bonus materials that the interiors of the mansion were done on soundstages. Regardless it works just fine, especially with the hidden rooms discovered. The musical score is very effective - both haunting and melancholy. It captures the essence of the film perfectly and is part of the Second Sight limited edition release.

The Changeling ranks among the best made haunted house films. Rich in atmosphere, a well-realized story, and an abundance of chilling moments.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  7. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 5TH:
    Salem's Lot
    Nosferatu
    Dracula: Sovereign of the Damned

8. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

October 6th: Zombi 3

Zombi 3.png

Another first time viewing. I went in with some foreknowledge of the movie's troubled production, with Bruno Mattei taking over for an ailing Lucio Fulci, and while the title implies that this is a sequel to Fulci's Zombie, spiritually, it is obviously the heir to Mattei's Hell of the Living Dead. Like Hell of the Living Dead, the zombie epidemic in Zombi 3 is the result of science gone awry, and the zombie makeup in both movies ranges from elaborate appliances to basic face paint. Unlike Zombie, Zombi 3 is rather inconsistent about the capabilities of the zombies. Some are mindless shamblers, while others can speak and move with sudden bursts of speed. One zombie is put out of commission by being decapitated, while another is able to function perfectly well as an autonomous head (it can even leap through the air to attack!). Some characters turn into zombies within seconds of contamination, while others seemingly take hours to turn. In short, there are no clearly defined rules as to what the zombies can and can't do - they just do whatever the director deemed necessary for a given scene to work. Even if that means popping up in places where the is no logical reason for them to be - like in a cupboard, or in a pile of hay. But the inconsistencies don't stop at the zombies. Our heroes have taken refuge in an abandoned hotel, and suddenly, there's an extra member of the party: A Filipino dude who's only there for one scene (where he's killed), yet acts as if he's been with the group the entire time. Did I miss something?

Now, for a movie where there is a lot to criticise, I did find myself perfectly entertained. It's briskly paced, and much of the gore and zombie makeup is quite good.

9. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

Oct 5th-

[​IMG]

#SCVpsychochallenge Guideline:
    5. 1 2 3 4 CLIVE: Clive Barker was born on October 5th. Celebrate any of his gruesome cinematic deeds.

Despite it's behind the scenes problems, I enjoy Bloodlines quite a bit. I'm a sucker for the Hellraiser franchise.

10. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

October 5th
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11) Downrage: A group of friends have car trouble in a remote wooded area, only to be stalked by a deranged sniper. I had reserved expectations heading into this since director Ryuhei Kitamura hasn’t done anything worth a shit since “Midnight Meat Train” (but that is just my opinion). Thankfully I enjoyed more of this than I expected. Good, Old fashioned, exploitation horror with plenty of gore to go around. Kitamura does a pretty great job crafting tension, even if some of the Michael Bay-esque spinning cam was off putting. I also really enjoyed the 80’s synth inspired score, which was used sparingly and peppered in appropriately. The biggest downsides this film suffers from is the cringe worthy acting, the thin character development, and one particularly bad sequence with a prosthetic corpse. Thankfully the characters – unlike those in one too many stalk and slash films – make mostly rational and reasonable decisions to save their skins. It’s good fun if you don’t mind a grimy, mean spirited slasher flick, just don’t expect perfection. (6/10)

12) The First Purge: I can’t say I’ve ever been a fan of this franchise, and the idea of a prequel explaining the origins of the purge “holiday” – if you will – seemed pointless. The first three films lay out, ad nauseum (vaguely at least), where and why the purge was put into place. After watching this my opinion of the series hasn’t changed. “The First Purge” has a lot of what you would expect: lost of carnage, gory deaths, bad acting, cringy dialogue, and inept political commentary. The scenes involving the politicians overseeing the purge are particularly awful, filled with exposition in case you are too stupid to follow such a simple minded, ridiculous concept. The goings on with those participating in the purge itself are pretty boring, and don’t really bring any new ideas to the table. I did enjoy the unhinged psycho with the scares on his face, who viciously murders everyone who comes in his path, it’s too bad there wasn’t more of him. The finale really hits the sweet spot though, featuring some of the best action the series has to offer. It you’re a fan, this ones for you. (5/10)

13) Happy Hunting: An alcoholic meth cooker running from his employer only finds more trouble when he ends up in a desolate desert town where the locals hunt humans for fun. This was quite an oddball of a film. On one had I enjoyed the gory, creative deaths, and on the other the attempts at humor are pretty hit and miss. The visual style owes a lot to “Breaking Bad,” but it doesn’t try to be more serious than what it is, and that’s a goofy, exploitation horror film. It does a lot even with a small budget - despite the so-so CGI – but boy oh boy is the acting from most of the redneck’s suck. Even at 90-minutes I felt like this thing drag on for a bit too long, and it does take a good thirty minutes of so to really get revved up, but I thought this was still solid. (6/10)

hulkyduck, maskull, Rocker10 and 3 others like this.
  11. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #7:
    976-Evil (1989)
    First time viewing (Blu-Ray)
    *1/2 (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    666. EL DIA DE LA BESTIA: The more Satanic, the better.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  12. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Supposedly the most recent Blu put out by Shameless restored some scenes while cutting (some? all?) animal cruelty scenes. Their claim is (some? all?) those scenes were added post production as they were "expected" in the genre and the producers decided the film as originally made didn't have enough of them. I'm uncertain on the details of what was left out, what was kept - my brief web searching for concrete info yielded zip. My copy is still on a slow boat shipment from the UK, and even then I don't have any other copy to compare it to.

I'm also not a follower of that particular genre, owning only 2-3 other similar films. Partly for the animal cruelty bit, partly for the rather repetitive nature (see one such film, you've seen them all aspect). But I figure I have to give this "classic of the genre" a go at least once.

Interestingly, the scene that seems to get the most common complaints about in Amazon reviews are not the animal scenes but instead...

The tribesmen going at it with a pig. Reminds me of the absurd complaints about a certain episode in Black Mirror, where without actually showing anything a character degrades himself with a pig in order to save someone's life. In mass viewers ignored the intended greater question of just what would you be willing to endure to help someone else, and fixated instead on a base act that was never even shown. I think it speaks volumes of how screwed up as a society we are that its perfectly acceptable to slaughter animals and torture people, but toss even an inference of bestiality and people lose their fucking minds about the morality of it.

hulkyduck, maskull and satans-sadists like this.
  13. KGBRadioMoskow

I'm a big fan of the series, but I have to stay honest in saying The Night Stalker movie set a high bar that the series, for the most part, never cleared afterwards. The Night Strangler was a strong follow-up, but IMO not as good as the first movie.

IMO only two episodes stand well with the original two films - "The Spanish Moss Murders" and "Horror In The Heights". If you are intrigued by Night Stalker, put those on your watch list straight off.

If you want to wander a bit further down the path and don't mind a drop in quality, other notables are "The Zombie", "The Knightly Murders", "Bad Medicine", "The Trevi Collection", "The Ripper", "Demon in Lace", and "The Vampire". Of course at that point you've pretty much watched half the series, but the quality drops from here (sometimes drastically). Of note in the remaining episodes, "Mr. R.I.N.G." and "They Have Been, They Are, They Will Be..." are particularly strong examples of the story line style Chris Carter would adopt in the X-Files.

hulkyduck, Rocker10 and indrid13 like this.
  14. KGBRadioMoskow

Was actually living in Santa Cruz (going to college) and working at the Boardwalk arcade at the time the film was made. Never saw things being filmed, but saw a few of the set constructions. Particularly the facade outside the comic shop (used so filming could make the shop look like it was actually on the Boardwalk), which was actually a converted garage in down town proper and nowhere close to the Boardwalk itself. Said comic shop was damaged beyond repair in the 1989 quake, the owner runs a smaller shop next to a parking garage on the other side of the downtown retail area.

Additional bit, which I had wanted to add when I originally posted. A while back the comic shop owner, Joe Ferrara, made room in his shop for a donated bit of local sci-fi lore - the 2T2 robot from the "Captain Cosmic" show. The show ran in the late 70s in the Bay Area on weekday afternoons, showing Japanese monster serials like Ultraman and was hosted by Bob Wilkins - better known from hosting "Creature Features" on the same channel. It was a fine time to be a kid, with independent channels like that showing such oddball shows.

Bob Wilkins as Captain Cosmic.

[​IMG]

Joe Ferrara and 2T2.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    hulkyduck, Angelman, Rocker10 and 3 others like this.
  15. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I don't put up the sheer numbers that most of you do, but I do try to watch more horror in October. Started off with a double feature last night. As I've mentioned, I use this thread for suggestions and recommendations, and both of last night's titles were selected using that method.

1. Blood and Lace (Shout Factory Blu-Ray)
    Haven't watched this one in a while, long enough that I forgot what happens. So, the twist in this movie worked twice for me, which is a nice bonus. Even though not a lot happens in Blood and Lace, it's pretty fast moving, and there's a lot of really nasty stuff happening without being graphic. Not sure if that's a plus or minus. Still enjoyable though, in between my shouts of "Uncle Leo?" and "Kiss mah Grits!" to the screen.

2. Satan's Slaves (Shudder)
    Not a good movie. I'd been in the mood for some Asian horror, but this was just a mess. It takes a good hour to get going, and even then it doesn't know what it wants to be. Another Asian long-haired-white-dress-scary-girl movie? Those were getting tired 15 years ago. Poltergeist? Rosemary's Baby? Who knows. Even worse, the entire concept of the movie is literally read to the audience in the form of an "article" written by a character introduced late in the film. And they take it further when that same character writes a new article with new rules to explain the climax of the film. There's far more wrong in this film than the "dance" at the end that another poster mentioned. Skip this one.

hulkyduck, maskull, Colin and 5 others like this.
  16. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 6TH:
    Orphan
    The Children
    The Brood

hulkyduck, indrid13 and Rocker10 like this.
  17. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

4. Shock Waves (Ken Weiderhorn, 1977)

[​IMG]

This was my second time watching this. It's a weird movie. Slowly paced. Takes place mostly in the daylight. As it starts, it feels like it shouldn't work. But it does. It really does. I think the look of the zombies and the score account for about 80% of that. But the charm of Carradine and Cushing begin to work their magic, and the hopelessness of the location, the sense of isolation really start to be felt.

This movie really grows on you.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    hulkyduck, maskull, indrid13 and 5 others like this.
  18. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Tonight:

The House on Tombstone Hill

For me this movie shows how marketing can make or kill a movie, originally released as 'Dead Dudes In the House' by Troma, the awful name and awful generic art work, lazily put together with generic looking people and rabid grannies art in the house windows always put me off seeing it. Now under its alternative name, better art and good reviews I decided to blind buy.

Is it a lost classic, no, it's ok, but nothing special, there is some nice splatter but thats it, it feels like the film makers made the film around the gags, with all the rest feeling like pointless filler.

Just a note about the vinegar syndrome release, I've not seen any reviews and it's not noted on the back, but the release looks like it's been put together with multiple prints, one in great shape which thankfully has been used the most and another which may be an SD source. The changes between the 2 can come mid scene and change between different actors exchange, it's noticeable and can, well for me anyway, take you out of the movie.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    hulkyduck, maskull, indrid13 and 3 others like this.
  19. Rocker10

Thanks for your input! I will definitely dig into this series a bit deeper.

~Rocker10

hulkyduck and indrid13 like this.
  20. Rocker10

Day 6

Started with The Barn and then went classic black and white.

21. The Barn (2018) Blu-This is a really recent movie that showed up as a BD-R. A definite blind buy that had I seen, probably wouldn't have bought. A pretty moody film that is slow paced. I came out of it mixed and not quite understanding things. Some of it was fairly straight forward but it felt like there were some loose ends. Maybe I just missed something.

22. Voodoo Island (1957) DVD-I usually take this one in every Halloween. We all have those movies that we connect with for whatever reason. This one goes back to my childhood. Anyway, classic Karloff. Probably not one of his more known films, but one that I like personally.

23. The Screaming Skull (1958) Blu-Was feeling the 50's today and just grabbed this one off the shelf. Entertaining but a bit slow which classic movies can be.

24. Revenge of the Creature (1955) Blu-Secong movie from the Creature from the Black Lagoon set. Enjoyed it and pretty sure I've seen it before, but it's been awhile. Like the first movie better, but this one shows again that the creature has good taste in woman.

~Rocker10