The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2018!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 27, 2018.

1. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

What's even the point to all of the real animal cruelty within the Italian cannibal genre, other than to shock and disgust? Is it just to reinforce how fucked outsiders are in these remote settings? Is it just to remind us these are "savages" and cannot be reasoned with? Regardless of the answer, I can sure as hell do without it in the films I watch.

Most of the time I can take some pretty heavy gore as long as it's theatrical effects, not the real thing.

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

And, in this one you get to make Clint Eastwood jokes due to his cameo

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

The "rationale" they used was to show how "real" it was

hulkyduck, maskull and indrid13 like this.
  4. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/5/18

SCREAM FOR HELP (1984)

[​IMG]

Day 5 of my October horror marathon was another first time affair. This was recently released by Scream Factory. Having picked up the Blu-ray, I gave this a spin on Friday night.

Christie (Rachael Kelly) is a very talkative 17 year old only child in the New York City suburbs. She loves to write in her diary and is highly skilled in speaking her mind. Several months ago her Mom (Marie Masters) remarried and wound up with Paul (David Brooks). Nothing seems right about her stepdad. Even worse, Christie is convinced that he is trying to kill her Mom. Doing her best Nancy Drew impression, Christie does her own investigating while pulling in a number of her friends. Crazy events ensue as she gets more than she bargained for.

In the bonus features, writer (and soon to be director at that point) Tom Holland discusses how the film was mishandled by director Michael Winner. Lots of cut dialogue leading to plot holes. Holland goes as far as saying that Winner was not able to direct a thriller or horror film. Can't say I agree with that entirely as The Sentinel (1977) is a solid horror film in my eyes, also directed by Michael Winner.

There's no getting around it though. Scream for Help is not what anyone would call a conventional horror/thriller. With many sleaze and exploitation elements throughout, the finished product is all over the place at times. Michael Winner directed a lot of Charles Bronson films. Death Wish 2 and Death Wish 3 really pack on the sleaze and exploitation, so it's easy to see how it all went down.

Holland also mentions that his original vision for the script was akin to The Stepfather (1987). Rachael Kelly is good, but is no Jill Schoelen. Main villain David Brooks is no Terry O'Quinn either. Brooks actually looks like a poor man's Michael Dudikoff (American Ninja films) in this picture.

Fortunately I enjoy a lot more than just horror films. The exploitation and sleaze kept me interested. Scream for Help is entertaining and at times unpredictable. Politically correct? Not even close!

hulkyduck, maskull, Rocker10 and 5 others like this.
  5. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

Oct 6th-
    [​IMG]

#SCVpsychochallenge Guideline:
    666. EL DIA DE LA BESTIA: The more Satanic, the better.
    A bit weird and so very '70's.
    Perfect example of the kind of movie you'd find on late night TV in the '80's.

hulkyduck, maskull, Rocker10 and 2 others like this.
  6. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

October 6th
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

14) The Devil’s Doorway: Ireland in 1960 sets the stage for this found footage film, where two priests are sent by the Vatican to document a supposed miracle at a nunnery, only to uncover something much worse. Found footage is a real dime a dozen subgenre and this doesn’t even try to be unique. The visual aesthetic – which I’m sure was all done digitally – looks ok, but there are several moments where the audio comes through way too crisp, which unimmersed me from the experience. As for the story, it’s what you would expect from an exorcism/demonic possession film, and the jump scares are annoying and ineffective. I really did enjoy the lead priest, he easily carried the entire film, but everyone else was lacking in depth. It doesn’t do anything exceptionally wrong, but it doesn’t do much to stand out from the crowd. (5/10)

15) Veronica: A teenage girl living in 1990’s Madrid makes the mistake of fucking around with a Ouija board and puts herself and her family in grave danger. Director Paco Plaza has really struggled to branch out since the “[REC]” franchise and the downward trend continues here. He has a fantastic eye for film, which show here, but this thing is lacking in so many other aspects. Even though I liked the characters and felt for their plight, the lack of any real tension and paint by numbers jump scares killed off my interest at various points. The practical effects looked good but came across as honky thanks to the haunted house music for the score, which gave what was supposed to be a serious film a much goofier tone. I really wanted to like this one, but if failed to impress. (5/10)

7. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #8:
    Threads (1984)
    First time viewing (Shudder)
    ***1/2 (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    7. HELL ON EARTH: Watch a post-apocalypse movie. Bonus if it has punks (see the Destroy All Movies definition of punks) in it.

Engaging docudrama about the lead up to and aftermath of a nuclear attack. Reminded me of The Legend of Boggy Creek in style. Will definitely pick up the Severin Blu in the future.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  8. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

Cool! Been wanting to check this one out since I saw the Blu was out.

fattyjoe37 likes this.
  9. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

October 7th: Pieces

[​IMG]

Okay, so how many young women can a serial killer wielding the noisiest weapon be expected to kill on campus before being caught? Five, you BASTARDS! Pieces should be right up my alley. It has the gore, it has the sleaze, it has a cute male lead, it has Christopher George and Lynda Day George. There are plenty of bad movies moments, but that's okay. One attack has the victim on a waterbed, and it's pretty brutal - until the killer's rubber knife hits the victim's skin and bends comically. It's not so much what Pieces gets wrong, it's what it doesn't get right. It never builds much excitement up to the attacks. The worst example has one victim being dragged out of a pool , only to sit there as the killer goes to fetch his murder weapon. She had every opportunity to leave, but no, it's as if she philosophically arrived at the conclusion that if she didn't die now, she'd only die at some other point in time, so why bother? Pieces is a ridiculous movie, but I was reasonably entertained. I'm just not quite as enthusiastic about it as some slasher fans are.

10. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

Watched it recently myself, thought it was a good throw back to low budget 80s supernatural slasher horror. Cool mythology, earnest but amateur hour acting, competent but slim wallet effects and scenery. Not a future cult classic in the making, but its a keeper in my collection.

11. KGBRadioMoskow

Was my take on it when I blurbed about it in last year's marathon. It was worth watching for how nuts (intentionally and not) it is, but not worth revisiting.

hulkyduck, indrid13 and Kim Bruun like this.
  12. KGBRadioMoskow

Dunno. My only thought is was a cheap, effective, and (for a while) legal way to push a really primal button in the audience. And certain studios were very willing to push that button to push (sales) the bounds of shock cinema. And in the cannibal genre it became a required part of the formula.

Although I struggle to think of who the audience members were who would feel cheated if an animal didn't get butchered, and that there was slim chance they weren't vastly outnumbered by the audience members who would have been more willing to see the flick if it didn't play like an SPCA commercial.

For me, its one of those personal don't cross lines, even knowing the hypocrisy it shows given my dietary habits. Knowledge that such is in a film is usually enough to push the "no sale" button, but I've made a few exceptions based on film reputation. In the interest of "art". But most of the time such scenes put me out of the movie, kind of defeating some of the purpose.

13. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Today:

Extremity

This is a new movie presented by Dread Cental, I've been impressed with their output so far, with the Kane Hodder documentary and the gory killer clown throwback Terrifier, could they continue their good run, in a word no.

A Young woman obsessed with horror, subjects herself to grueling torment inside an extreme haunt in an attempt to confront her fears and conquer the tragic past that haunts her daily.

This movie Is a mess, a long, hard, quickly edited and confusing slog to its conclusion, nothing here I can recommend to be honest, better to look else where for your horror Kicks.

14. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich

I had a lot of fun with this one. Really dug all the kills. No CGI to be found, all pretty brutal. There was some good humor in here too......The story wasn't the best but honestly there wasn't much to complain about.....by far the best sequel to the franchise, although it's been years since I've seen them. Very happy with my blind buy.

hulkyduck, maskull, Rocker10 and 4 others like this.
  15. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 7th:
    The Slumber Party Massacre
    The Burning
    The Mutilator
    The Sleeper

hulkyduck, indrid13, hots4 and 3 others like this.
  16. KGBRadioMoskow

Late to the game with the write ups. Ratings are out of ****.

10/1/18 - Chopping Mall (1986) **1/2
    Johnny 5's cousins are slumming it working mall security, so when the personality altering lightning strike hits they decide to slaughter horny teenagers.

Low budget 80s shlock, but good popcorn fun. Plenty of nonsense if you make the mistake of thinking about it. Like laser barrage spewing robots the military generals would give their stars for being wasted on shopping mall patrol. Lasers that mostly just cause annoying burns, except those times they explode heads. Protagonists that sling guns for much of the film despite knowing they're useless. And the fact Kelly Maroney somehow got top billing over Barbara Crampton.

Cult actors Paul Bartel, Mary Woronov, and Dick Miller show up for throw away cameos - I'd have kicked the film up a half star just if those three had been given serious screen time.

10/2/18 - The Devil's Candy (2015) **1/2
    A new house in the country comes with a diabolical price tag for a struggling musician/painter and his family.

Very likable protagonists and a rivetingly off kilter psycho set up for promising viewing. Entertaining, but the scenes just don't seem to flow together. Like the writer had several story ideas but not really a plot, and stitched them together figuring they'd substitute for one. Some, like art gallerist Belial, just make their appearance, imply a darker force, then never truly resolve. I generally consider it a mistake when a film tries to establish some mythology or weighty topic, then lets it drop on the floor.

10/3/18 - Beyond the Darkness (1979) **1/2
    Distraught over his girlfriend’s death, a perverse rich orphan keeps their love alive by using his taxidermy skills to have her with him forever.

A wonderfully sordid tale of voodoo, cannibalism, necrophilia, blackmail, and lover-mother figure carnality. On tap for your viewing pleasure such horrors as a live cremation, acid bath corpse disposal, a full-gore autopsy, repeated full frontal (corpse) nudity, crotch stabbings, hand jobs from the motherly maid, throat biting, plucked eyeballs, mustached women, and disturbing disco dancing.

The telegraphed twist at the end could have made for a darker film with an obvious time delay in its delivery, but other than that I found this gleeful viewing for the sick & twisted mindset.

10/4/18 - The Last Wave (1977) ***1/2
    A corporate lawyer assigned to defend a group of Australian aboriginals accused of murder gets pulled into tribal prophecies of a watery apocalypse.

Eerie, surreal, thought provoking, and highly recommended. Major shades of Jacob's Ladder and The Serpent and the Rainbow, with effective low key music and constant rain scenes keeping a foreboding mood going the entire film. It's never clear how things will come crashing down - maybe even after the credits rolled - but as the strange events pile on there's the certainty it ends in some profoundly horrible way.

hulkyduck, Colin, indrid13 and 5 others like this.
  17. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 7

A week in already. Keeping it fairly although this week could affect that. Looking to be quite busy if things go the way I think it will.

25. The Creature Walks Among Us (1956) Blu-Final film of the set and a bit of an oddball. The first two films felt one way and this one felt another. Entertaining for what it was with the nostalgia and all. Film looked pretty good and I had a good time, but it was definitely the odd one out of the three.

26. The Changeling (1980) Blu-I can't remember if I had ever seen this before. If I have it's been a very long time ago. It felt like a fresh watch to me either way and an enjoyable one at that. I was trying to hold out for the replacement disc that I guess is coming. Communication has been poor at best on replacements. I went ahead and just watched the movie. Glad its part of my collection.

27. The Fog (1980) Blu-Another flick I pull out every October. I always loved the feel of this movie. Seen it many times and I space viewings far enough apart that it is always enjoyable. Just a very fun movie for this time of year.

28. Death Valley (1982) Blu-I enjoy this movie as much as I enjoy A Christmas Story. Maybe like this one a bit more due to my love of this season. I hadn't seen this until Scream Factory released it a few years ago, but have gone back to it already a few times. Good stuff in my opinion!

I was scouring Amazon looking for stuff that I was interested in and had not picked up yet, and I am having trouble finding any that I still need at this point. I did grab Pieces, but it's been much easier on my wallet this year. I don't buy a ton of modern horror as I don't trust it for blind buys and some of it is a bit over the top for my tastes. Instead of continuing with current modern releases, I took a different turn finding more of an interest in Italian horror and similar stuff. Anyway, going to be checking out some more mainstream titles very soon and the usual Italian run I do every year.

~Rocker10

18. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

John Carpenters The Fog

Been years since I've watched and the first time viewing on blu ray......so much more enjoyable than the dark vhs I remember. Anyways, it's a classic for a reason.

19. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/6/18

ABOMINABLE (2006)

[​IMG]

Long time fan of Sasquatch films here. I finally checked this out in 2o16 and now I am giving it a second look on Blu-ray from MVD Rewind. Making this part of the label's retro series was a head scratcher for many due to it being a more recent film. I'm just pleased anytime a decent Bigfoot film gets released on Blu-ray.

A little more than 6 months ago, Preston Rogers (Matt McCoy) and his wife had an awful accident while rock climbing in the mountains of California. She fell to her death and he has been in a wheelchair ever since. Despite the anxiety and depression he has been living with, Preston returns for a short trip to the same high elevation region with an appointed male nurse. All part of his doctor's orders. Go figure. Settling in the same day at a neighboring cabin are a group of city slicker girls. A very aggressive Bigfoot that has been active in these mountains lately drops in to be the party crasher. Even for a giant cryptid, this dude plays exceptionally rough.

Abominable does not reinvent Sasquatch cinema, but does have some good selling points in its favor. This is not found footage garbage (too many Bigfoot movies are). There are plenty of attacks on humans and the gore level is turned up pretty high, over the top in a couple instances. The basic premise takes the Alfred Hitchcock Rear Window concept. Instead of an injured Jimmy Stewart in his chair witnessing a murder, we have crippled Matt McCoy witnessing monster attacks. It works in context and gradually McCoy gets pulled into everything on a physical level.

Some familiar faces appear in smaller supporting roles: Lance Henriksen, Jeffrey Combs. Dee Wallace, and even Paul Gleason (principal from The Breakfast Club). Wouldn't call this a cryptid classic, but Abominable moves pretty fast and holds your attention.

20. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Oops I'm a little behind.

October 4:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18) Friday The 13th Part 2 (1981): I've seen this movie a million times...ok a few less than a million...but let's just say I've seen it many, many times. And one of the scares just made me jump out of my seat! That should not happen. But I'm glad it can still happen after all this time.

19) Wrong Turn (2003): My friend was coming down for a day of horror watching so I threw this on while I was awaiting his arrival. It's a good movie for someone to start watching at any point without knowing what's been going on. Luckily he showed up before any of the action started. And the whole movie he was complaining about the stupid things the characters kept doing or not doing. Such a slasher horror noob. If they did the smart thing then the movie would be over and we wouldn't get to see these young adults being mangled by mutant cannibals. Dur.

20) It (2017): The second movie I watched with my friend for our marathon. His comment was: "I heard this was scary. It's so stupid!"

I was a little underwhelmed, to say the least, with my first watch of this movie as well, so I was giving it another chance. Well at least it didn't get worse, but I'm still not a fan. The kids are great and I like the opening with Georgie talking to Pennywise in the sewer and the rock fight, but the jump scares are really annoying and they never really build up any tension. Maybe IT would be better in a theatre full of people. I'm missing the time spent with the kids just hanging out building a dam in the river. They're becoming friends but also know that something evil is going on. This movie just jumps into the evil. I guess that's the advantage that a miniseries has over a theatrical film. More time to breathe.

21) Cloverfield (2008): Third movie in the horrorthon with my friend. He had been wanting to see it so I figured now was a good time as we needed a palate cleanser after our last movie. He enjoyed it, though he did say he's glad he didn't see it in theatres cause he probably would've puked from the shakey cam. I enjoyed it as well. I knew I would. Good tension and a few humorous moments mixed in.

22) Train To Busan (2016): I'll be honest. I was totally trying to dissuade my friend from watching this one. Not because I didn't want to watch it again, but because I was worried I'd have to beat him with a stick until he was dead if he didn't like it.** Well, he's still alive and unbeaten and splinter free so I think that means we have success!!

**Actually it was because I was feeling very tired and didn't want to waste my second ever viewing of this movie when I was sleepy. I needn't have worried though cause almost right away I was wide awake and completely caught all over again. Even though I pretty much knew what was going to happen, I was on the edge of my seat through long sections of this movie. I even noticed my friend starting to lean forward during a couple of the zombie attack scenes. So yeah, awesome movie!

23) Troll Hunter (2010): Top notch found footage mockumentary that plays everything straight but is full of plenty of humour and funny situations. I love how they make pretty much anything that happens in Denmark a Troll related incident and even manage to incorporate a lot of Troll mythology into to story as well. This was our final movie of our horrorthon and while it's really light on real horror, it was a lot of fun to revisit. I still feel like they didn't have a clear idea on how to end the movie and just made something up at the last second but it really wasn't a deal breaker. My friend laughed a good amount and seemed fairly impressed by the movie and his final comment was "well that was weird".