The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2019!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Psycho II

psycho202.jpg

First time viewing. I bought the sequel dvd set a year or two ago. I absolutely loved this movie. I thought it was an excellent story......really really enjoyable.... I'm looking forward to watching parts 3 and 4 soon.

Ice Cream Man

0011_VS-198slip_front_800x.jpg

Greatest slip of all time. Hands down....fucking beautiful.

And the movie is pretty fucking fun, too. Direct to video 90s horror at its finest. Clint Howard is just plain fun to watch in this role. It's an R rated episode of Are you Afraid of the Dark meets late night cheap HBO B flick.

dave13, Colin, KGBRadioMoskow and 5 others like this.
  2. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    10/15: THE DORM THAT DRIPPED BLOOD - DVD. I really like the film, pretty standard slasher delivers the goods. Watched with commentary on. Then came: TO ALL A GOODNIGHT Blu Ray. Goes well with "Dorm" for a fun double feature. Always liked this video store staple. This film always felt more mid 80's for some reason. The vibe of this duo felt less "drive-in theater" and more "pop in a rented VHS" n' kick back on the sofa. Good times!

3. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 15

64. Maniac (1980) Blu - Been taking in a lot of these Blue Underground sets in this years viewing. This is another really nice set. I can't say that I had ever seen this movie and have actually owned it a few different times including the Anchor Bay tin. A definite different feel for a slasher movie, and what a crazy ending.

65. Paranormal Activity 3 (2011) Blu - Back to these films tonight. I liked this one a little better than number 2. It kept me more engaged although the similarities in these movies are there. I did like the setting of going back to 1988 on this one. The timelines are all over the place in this series so far. It makes it pretty easy to see when you watch all of these so close together.

66. Paranormal Activity 4 (2012) Blu - An okay entry with a bit of a different feel. Different camera usage including webcams, etc. The one thing that kind of hit me with this movie and the way these movies evolved was that it felt like they started to go for jump scares more than just the creepy shit going on in the first. So far I still think the first movie is leaps and bounds better than any of the sequels, but am enjoying my run through them. This was a first time watch for me.

67. The Black Cat (1934) Blu - Another from the Universal Horror collection 1 set. I believe this movie was the first pairing of Karloff/Lugosi. Decent movie and apparently it was a big hit for Universal the year it came out. Based on Edgar Allen Poe as was The Raven. As I was watching this, there were parts of the set that looked like the set used in The Raven, but I couldn't confirm it anywhere. It's good to see some preservation done with films like this as it would be tragic to lose these to time.

~Rocker10

4. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Oct. 15th
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

36) Nosferatu: The Vampyre: the city of Wismar plunges into darkness with the arrival of Count Dracula. But Lucy Harker may be the key to end his reign of terror. One of the better horror remakes from oddball/documentarian Werner Herzog, this film takes everything good about the original “Nosferatu” and improves upon them. Featuring some beautiful exterior shots of the European countryside – even though they can be self-indulgent at points – and the raw documentary approach really helps this film stand out among other Gothic horror films of the 60’s and 70’s. Klaus Kinski really steals the show as the titular character, coming across creepy and compassionate. The supporting cast I can take or leave but good god was Renfield over the top and annoying with that cackling laugh. A horror remake that is most defiantly worth your time. (7/10)

37) Daughters of Darkness: A newlywed couple finds themselves in grave danger once they cross paths with Countess Elizabeth Bathory and her female companion. An erotic thriller that doesn’t rely on gore or a large body count, but makes up with a fantastic story involving lust, betrayal and classism. Delphine Seyrig gives a knockout performance as the Bathory, managing to be sultry and sexy without ever taking her clothes off. The only foibles with this are
    1) Iiona, the Countess’ “companion,” accidentally dies by falling onto a shaving razor. When the Countess and Valerie return just after the incident, the Countess claims it to be an accident. What’s weird is she seemed to know this was going to happen, but how she knew Iiona would end up dying on accident after having an affair with Stefan is beyond me. 2) The climax of the film has the Countess dying by being flown threw a car windshield, impaling her on a tree branch, and then going up in a blaze from the flames from the car exhaust. This made me laugh out loud, but I don’t think this was supposed to be the intent.
    Complaints aside, I went in not knowing what to expect and came away pleased. A great twist on the vampire lore I’ve seen in some time. (7/10)

5. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Day 15 of the Scarecrow Psychotronic Challenge.
    PICK YOUR POISON: One with some drugs in it. Turn on, tune in...and freak out!
    Ozone. Had never seen this J.R. Bookwalter flick before. A low budget, stylish gorefest. It starts out as a story about a cop on the trail of a new drug and his missing partner. What it turns into is a trippy nightmare involving a monster crime boss, street thug Cenobites and two people turning into monsters and having sex. Don't even get me started on the monster baby birth scene. If you like Bookwalter other films or Slime City, you'll probably dig this.

[​IMG]

Last night's 2nd film, The Dark Power is a fun little film. Seen it a few times. Lash La Rue vs. Indian mummies. There's a certain charm to this. It blends the typical '80's horror of the time with classic '40's B-movies.

Last night's final film, Angel of the Night. Featuring a young Mads Mikkelsen. It's a mix of Eurotrash vampire flick and John Woo. I want to like this one, but the narrative jumps around so much, it's hard to get invested in the film.

[​IMG]

6. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

October 13
    [​IMG]
    The Thing ~ 1982 On the Big Screen!

Colin, hulkyduck, wago70 and 6 others like this.
  7. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #17:
    The Terminator (1984)
    Rewatch (UK DVD)
    ***** (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    16. ROCK 'N' ROLL MISCREANTS: Give some screen time to the punks and/or metal heads.

Not only do you get to see punks played by Bill Paxton and Brian Thompson, but the T-800 is literally a metal head! Get it? C'mon, give me a break, I gotta rewatch this sometime before the new movie comes out on November 1st.

Colin, hulkyduck, Kim Bruun and 4 others like this.
  8. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/15/19

EXORCIST II: THE HERETIC (1977)

[​IMG]

World traveler Father Philip Lamont (Richard Burton) gets assigned by the Cardinal to investigate the death of Father Merrin, the priest who performed the still controversial exorcism on Regan MacNeil (Linda Blair) four years ago. Lamont finds Regan in New York City living with a guardian and under further care of Dr. Gene Tuskin (Louise Fletcher). Well into her teenage years, she has no recollection of the literal hell she went through living in Georgetown. Tuskin thinks otherwise and uses some new technology, a synchronizer device which connects the brainwaves of participants. Father Lamont joins in this process with Regan, unlocking some scary shit better left in the past. Bigger questions remain as to whether Regan still carries evil forces within her?

This was my first viewing of Exorcist II and I went with the longer 118 minute cut. To call this a radical departure from the William Friedkin movie is such an understatement. Even with a shorter 102 minute alternate version available on this Scream Factory Blu-ray, it’s difficult to imagine a leaner cut engaging the viewer much more. John Boorman was no hack of a director (Deliverance was proof enough). The finished film though feels under the influence of sleeping pills at times in Heretic. This had a large budget for its time. Too much of it is wasted on African tribes, swarms of locusts, and extremely out of place tap dancing. Pazuzu the demon is back, but who really cares when all these damn locusts keep getting in the way! Stick around to the end for Regan and Father Lamont reaching her childhood home in Georgetown. Not much cause for excitement after all. Cartoonish special effects and rather ludicrous script pages make it feel pointless.

William Friedkin’s The Exorcist (1973) is an undisputed classic. My preference however is for the original theatrical version and not the extended director’s cut. The Exorcist III (1990) is an underrated sequel, on which I am waiting for the Arrow Video release. Exorcist II: The Heretic lurks at the bottom, though it could be worse. I reserve that for Exorcist: The Beginning (2004), which I fell asleep during years ago and never felt interested in watching again.

Colin, hulkyduck, Rocker10 and 5 others like this.
  9. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

October 16th: Killer Crocodile

Killer Crocodile.png

I love aquatic monster movies with practical effects. Man is at a disadvantage in the water, and the physical co-presence between actor and monster just works for me, even if the monster looks a bit fake. Killer Crocodile flips the bird at Jaws by showing its monster early and often. Much has been made of how unconvincing the crocodile looks. To be fair, the crocodile has some great angles and some poor ones. Obviously, dim lighting is more flattering to it than full sun, and it looks better when partially submerged than when moving about on land in an ungainly manner. The crocodile is at its most impressive when we see the business end of it - especially in the title sequence, when it suddenly emerges from the darkness, its toothy maw gaping and ready to chow down two hapless fishermen. Seriously, that scene gave me quite a jolt! Gore is mostly quite decent, and pacing is good, with attacks sprinkled liberally over the running time. Overall, I’d say Killer Crocodile is on par with Lamberto Bava’s Monster Shark, a movie I absolutely love.

October 17th: Killer Crocodile 2

Killer crocodile 2.png

Recycling not only the same croc model and the same hero, but also much of the same footage, Killer Crocodile 2 is nevertheless a spirited and fun follow-up. Our hero Kevin shows a bit more swagger this time around and is even given a love interest. The crocodile gets to crash into a hut, bite the head off a would-be rapist, and eat a nun and her pupils (an incident I don’t think the movie ever mentions again – guess nuns and kids are beneath contempt in the Dominican Republic). The biggest let down of the movie is the final scene – our hero wrestles the crocodile, and we repeatedly see a shot of what looks like an Action Man on a toy crocodile. It’s really terrible (not the shot above - that's pretty good). Still, I enjoyed Killer Crocodile 2 as much as the first one. Now, if only Synapse would hurry up with the Thai crocodile horror Chorake.

October 17th: Circus of Horrors

Circus of Horrors.png

I like disfigurement horror, I like surgical horror. Circus of Horrors doesn’t go all graphic with the latter, but gives us plenty of the former. A disgraced plastic surgeon flees to postwar France and takes over a circus which he fills with formerly scarred female criminals who’ve had their beauty restored by him. Circus of Horrors hinges upon some real improbabilities. Firstly, that there is an easily available resource of such female criminals to recruit from. Secondly, that these women, upon being made beautiful via plastic surgery and with only a few short years of training, can become world-class circus performers. These concerns are quickly brushed aside as Circus of Horrors moves along at a brisk pace, with the circus acts themselves generating a fair bit of excitement. There are some brilliant animal scenes as well (not counting the guy in the gorilla suit) and Anton Diffring plays his role as a true sociopath. Best scene: The opening, where a disfigured woman reacts to seeing the results of her plastic surgery by smashing every mirror in sight and laughing hysterically. Yikes!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  10. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

25. The Brides of Fu Manchu (Don Sharp, 1966)

[​IMG]

Now this is more like it! The diabolical Dr. Fu Manchu is kidnapping the beautiful daughters of prominent scientists to force them into creating some kind of radio death ray. Douglas Wilner is a huge improvement over Nigel Green as the intrepid Nayland Smith, there are some great action set pieces, and best of all - Christopher Lee has way more screen time! This was a lot of fun, and I hope the franchise can continue in this vein.

(I love how mixed up this movie is - it can't even keep it's stereotypes straight. Fu Manchu has an army of Chinese warriors, who use Tibetan prayer scarves to strangle their victims, and hang out in an Egyptian-themed secret lair. And some of Fu's henchmen are inexplicably Indian...because apparently Indians and Chinese are interchangeable?)

11. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 16

68. Aenigma (1987) Blu - More Fulci to start the days watches. Watched this one on Prime last year and bought the 88 Films disc shortly after. Decent movie overall and Lara Lamberti is easy on the eyes.

69. Blood Rage (1987) Blu - Another stream last year that turned into an Arrow Blu purchase. A bit campy, but fun nonetheless.

70. Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones (2014) Blu - This is definitely the oddball film of the series. There were some laughs scattered about, but the film tends to stray even more from the roots of the series.

71. Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension (2015) Blu - Saw quite of negativity towards this film. I can see why. This one goes completely off the rails and feels more like a possession film than a paranormal movie. Everything that made the original great was absent here. This might have been okay without the Paranormal Activity name, but with it, it is way too far out in left field to work.

As a side note, after watching Monster Dog the other day, I ordered the Kino Blu. Man, the Blu looks so much better than the DVD version I have. I just skimmed it to get the difference in quality and it was quite apparent.

~Rocker10

Colin, indrid13, fattyjoe37 and 3 others like this.
  12. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Well-Known Member

Last few days viewing update

27. Urban Legend (1998)

Blu Ray. A group of students on a university campus find themselves being offed one by one based on urban legends , Another film trying to make a buck of the success of Scream . Good cast and a great premise just falls short of the mark , started of great with Brad Dourif as the gas station attendant trying to warn our first victim that there is somebody hiding in the back seat of her car, then loses it way with trying to be too clever and the plot was too predictable, Picked up again for the ending but by that time the damage was done.

This could have been great and could have been the start of a good franchise, 2.5/5

28. It Chapter Two (2019) First time Viewing.

Missed this on its initial run due to heavy work schedule , by the time my decks were clear i thought i would just wait till it came out on Blu Ray. Noticed my small local cinema had a showing two nights ago and i thought i would just go and check it out.

Loved the first film and it very much nailed the 80s nostalgia factor that was flying about at the time, this one although good, i found that it failed to hit the highs of the first film
    Excellent casting and for me Bill Hader as Ritchie was the highlight , the climax could have been tighter and felt it overrun by about 15 mins. 3.5/5

29. Cold Blooded Beast (1971) First Time Viewing.

Blu Ray. Soft core erotica masqueraing as a Giallo film. A killer stalking the halls of a mental hospital for rich women is used as an excuse for the female stars indulging in lesbian sex scenes. The film throws in a few brief killings to remind viewers that this should be a horror film and tacks on a killing frenzy in the last five minutes to up the body count. On the plus side this was beautifully shot and features a great performance by Klaus Kinski's mullet. 2/5

30. The Forbidden Photos of Lady Above Suspision. (1970) First Time Viewing.

Blu Ray. Our Lady of the title is blackmailed into having sex with a maniac after he has proof of her husband being involved in a murder. More of a psychological thriller than a giallo , this is beautifully shot with a great score however the plot is predictable and despite trying to throw in a few red herrings along the way it moves toward a predictable ending.

Not up there with top tier Gialli but well worth a watch 3/5

31. 3 From Hell (2019) First time viewing.

Blu Ray. Picked this up on Monday as part of my weekly haul and although this has had tepid reviews i was still excited as i loved House of a 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects.

Rob Zombie clearly loves these characters and although it is nowhere near as good as the first two , i did enjoy spending time with the Fireflys again. The Film clearly missed Sid Haig and would have been good to see how this would have panned out with him in the film for more than his cameo. 3.5/5

13. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Oct. 16th
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

38) The Witch Who Came from the Sea: A young woman snaps and goes on a killing spree as the result of sexual abuse as a child. Less of a horror film and more of a drama (at best a soft psychological thriller). “The Witch Who…” plays out not much better than a Lifetime original movie with its approach to subject matter like abuse, female sexuality, masculinity, ect. I did enjoy the dreamlike quality to the storytelling, playing on the viewers expectations and making you question if what is happening is real or just in the lead actresses head. The arthouse aspects sort of work – although a lot of it feels/looks like something out of a bad student film – and too many dialogue exchanges are nonsensical. This could have been more but misses the mark. (5/10)

39) Premonition (1976): When her foster daughter is kidnapped by her deranged biological mother and her boyfriend, the girl’s adopted mother soon realizes she has a telepathic connection with the girl. A really sour approach to the subject matter of parapsychology, with most of it being used in an underhanded fashion. The film gets lost in itself and tries to juggle too many ideas all at once. The whole telepathic aspect doesn’t really come into play until the 3rd act and by then I really didn’t care much. The really shining aspects that keep this thing from being worthless are the performances from Ellen Barber and Richard Lynch as the principal villains. “Premonition” tries too hard and does too little, and I don’t know why Arrow Video resurrected this from obscurity, because it wasn’t worth the time and effort. (4/10)

hulkyduck, Rocker10, indrid13 and 3 others like this.
  14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

^ Oh wow, that does not give me a lot of confidence for the rest of the American Horror Project set. I watched Malatesta and didn't really like it, and haven't gotten around to the other two films.

15. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

I purged my set shortly after watching it. There's a fair bit of love for the set, and encouragement for more (and I'm all up for that). So I basically never chimed in about it before. But it just didn't work for me.

Malatesta was closest to a keeper for me, for its weirdness factor, but even that wasn't remarkable and the quality of the movie certainly wasn't filling the worthiness deficit.

The Witch Who Came From the Sea was the one I wanted to like the most, because it tried so hard to be surreal with a subdued creepiness. And for brief moments it succeeded. But it didn't really go anywhere, despite constantly hinting it might. And not making sense doesn't work if you don't care about the characters or enough happens to distract you from the incoherence. With films like Shrew's Nest, Repulsion, and other better "descent into madness of a solitary woman" films, there wasn't a void to fill justifying this as a keeper.

The Premonition was just a thud. After watching the other two I was hoping for something to salvage the set, and had this film been solid I would have kept the whole set (based on the nice try merits of the other two). But this one compared to the others like a Uwe Boll movie to a classic John Carpenter.

hulkyduck, indrid13 and Colin like this.
  16. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Another round, and still searching for something that stands out. Ratings are out of ****.

10/13/19 - Re-Cycle (2006) **1/2
    A highly successful author is cast into the realm of discarded ideas as a consequence of starting a new book, and only by revisiting her most personal choices can she return home.

A kaleidoscopic treat of spooky and imaginative visuals, sadly without a strong driving sense of why. The breathtaking manifestations of a world of the forgotten, abandoned, and unwanted were simultaneously awing and depressing. Stylistically it’s enough to not just keep attention, but to justify the time. But more depth of substance was yearned for.

The protagonist is mostly a passive follower during the film, not directing the action or making the choices. This greatly diminishes sympathy for her. There also is a rather simplistic and heavy handed social message that could pull the viewer out of the experience (and that, if followed literally by the movie's mythology, would raise disturbing implications for naturally occurring events). And the attempt at a clever, ambiguous ending is a little shallow.

The H.P. Lovecraft Collection, Vol. 5: Strange Aeons (2008) **
    Another collection of low budget, independent renditions of Lovecraft works, this time mostly The Thing on the Doorstep.

The lead feature deviates from the source a fair bit, starts with a jarringly out of place metal music score, and has just passable acting. The primary problem is it lacks energy, most of the performances and even the script seems to squeezed through an emotional blandness filter. Only the Ephraim Waite actor showed any aptitude for the role - some real passion - but his character was barely on screen.

A short claymation rendition of From Beyond followed, and despite the amateur effort was fascinating and very engrossing, well worth seeking out .

Another take on the main story, Maria's Hubris, is a terse and very loose adaptation that brings nothing new to the story and actually diminishes it by a rather cliched resolution.

Lastly is a short cartoon Don't Feed the Book which is cute but forgettable.

10/14/19 - Rec 2 (2009) **1/2
    More shaky-cam found footage, returning to the run-down apartment building overrun by bloodthirst infected tenants.

This time around the film tries to explain the why of the first film, but with a Vatican experiment to cure demonic possession as a viral infection it ends up making even less sense. The action centers around cops sent in to contain the situation, cops that are so incapable of self-control (or the preparation to show up on a night mission with a good flashlight) it’s impossible to believe they're supposed to be elite. Add in a trio of incredibly stupid kids showing up and the result is doom for all.

Don't focus too much on the flaws and this is an entertaining ride. Just not enough for me to think I'll ever watch it again, so it hit my purge pile.

10/15/19 - The Initiation of Sarah (1978) **1/2
    Carrie joins a sorority coven.

An interesting if slow campus-cruelty social drama, with an infrequent supernatural spin.

TV tropes abound, from a parade of familiar faces from the 70s and 80s, avoidance of pushing any shock boundaries, to a campus we're supposed to believe is populated by nothing but hotties. Apart from one token Plain Jane, who the camera spends most of the film actively avoiding, the women in the college are all head turners. Even the nerds are drool worthy.

Morgan Fairchild brings her big hair, aristocratic nose, and epic bitchiness to the proceedings. Shelly Winters is practically a scene wrecking ball, being disturbingly loud, frantic, and unhinged - the women in her house should be cringing in her presence, not excited. Robert Hays triggers the karmic payback finale, two years before his suicide inducing war stories and hilarious drinking problem.

There is an implied witchcraft spin to the film, but it’s an odd red herring. Sarah's abilities are clearly psychic, with no occult connection. While the coven leader seems to have no abilities whatever, except to ambush a student so spineless their character is actually called Mouse.

Avoiding comparisons to Carrie is impossible, as this film rips off practically every notable moment. Except without the searing level to the tragedy. Or the staggering, soul crushing depths to the cruelty. Or the same nihilistic tone to the ending. In effect, a passable but almost toothless Carrie clone.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    hulkyduck, Colin, Rocker10 and 4 others like this.
  17. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Obviously, all these movies are low-budget and old, but I appreciate The American Horror Project beyond the merits of the individual films, though some of them I absolutely love. The Witch Who Came from the Sea, with its exploration of a fractured mind, punctuated by sleaze and violence, is a fascinating piece of grindhouse cinema. The eerie Malatesta's Carnival of Blood was like dreaming with my eyes open - it had the weirdest effect on me. Only The Premonition I found to be merely okay. Volume II has the weird kid/zombie horror The Child, which has a great, creepy ambience. Then there's the melodramatic Dream No Evil, which I'd place between Premonition and Witch - some cool, eccentric touches but probably too little horror payoff for most. Volume II has my least favourite, Dark August, a low-key affair hinging on the sympathy of the audience for a not very likable protagonist supposedly under the effects of a curse. I'd say, if you've read Stephen Thrower's Nightmare USA, you'll know if these sets are for you. Personally, I can't wait for Volume III. :)

18. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Trick 'r Treat (2009)

Suuuuuuuper late to the party on this (got distracted by work/life) but I did enjoy it. Well-shot, great cast, interesting anthology with shifting timelines, plenty of gore and a real "Halloween season" vibe make this a winner. It didn't get all the way there, but this is one with repeated viewing could climb up the list, fast.

running tally:
    Pre-Oct:
    - Nightwish (Unearthed Blu)
    - The Hills Have Eyes 2 (Arrow Blu)
    - Prince of Darkness ( Theatrical at the Church where it was shot)

10/1 Maniac (New Blue Underground Blu)
    10/2 Blue Vengeance (Vinegar Syndrome Blu)
    10/2 Madhouse (1981) Arrow Blu
    10/3 Kingdom of the Spiders (1977) Code Red Blu
    10/4 The Black Hole (1979) Disney Blu
    10/5 Jennifer (1978) Kino/Scorpion Blu
    10/9 Scream 2 (Netflix)
    10/10 Snapshot (1979) (Vinegar Syndrome Blu)
    10/? Trick 'r Treat (2009) Amazon Streaming

hulkyduck, Colin, Kim Bruun and 5 others like this.
  19. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/16/19

THE BLOOD ROSE (1970)

[​IMG]

Frédéric Lansac (Philippe Lemaire) spends the bulk of his spare time painting portraits. He becomes highly obsessed with his latest love Anne (Anny Duperey). The couple wastes no time getting married. Nothing ordinary about their living arrangement, a massive château that’s been in the Lansac family forever. Two devilish dwarves come with the property, fixtures for countless years. Anne gets into a heated argument (literally) with another woman and falls into a bonfire. Anne is hideously disfigured, unable to walk, and left with poor vision. Frédéric gets increasingly desperate to restore her beauty. Might a disgraced plastic surgeon ex-con now posing as a botanist named Römer (Howard Vernon) be able to help?

The Blood Rose is a French production billed as the first sex horror film ever made. Maybe I’ve been too spoiled by the films of Jess Franco, but this was pretty tame in that department compared to erotic genre titles I usually watch. Howard Vernon is very familiar to Jess Franco fans and played the title role in The Awful Dr. Orloff (1962), which has a similar premise. This château is an ideal location for gothic horror. Fog machines, tons of candles, and colorful lighting all add to the mood. Both dwarves bring some quirky charm. Neither of them speak and both are skilled with medieval weapons. One dwarf looks like a clean shaven poor man’s Peter Dinklage.

The Blood Rose was a blind buy from La Chat Qui Fume in France that I picked up from Mondo Macabro. Beautiful packaging with 3 discs. Audio (English friendly) and video are both sharp. Glad to have discovered this and definitely worth watching again.

20. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Having been extremely busy at work, and the site being down for a lot of the month, I've got some catching up to do... so here's one big, gigantic catching-up post that covers the first half of the month - sorry/not sorry:

1st - October Madness No.1 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 1 - SLIP INTO SOMETHING CHALLENGING: Ease into 2019's list by watching something with a lot of slime, body goop, or questionable muck in it. Wiggle your toes in the gooey glory.

[​IMG]
    Slime City (1988) Rewatch - Rating: 3/5

Greg Lamberson’s ultra-low-budget NYC slime-fest Slime City features plenty of goop, especially in the final 15 minutes. Sure, the storytelling and editing may be a bit choppy (the DVD I have features an uncut but edited-for-pacing version that differs from the original VHS release which removes a slight bit of expository material to help keep things moving, but the story and continuity does suffer a bit from these changes) but there’s a lot of heart in this gritty, grimy, 16mm-shot underground cult classic and its characters and dialogue are written better than most ‘80s horror outings.

2nd - October Madness No.2 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 2 - SOMEBODY'S GOTTA DO IT: Something involving a less than desirable job that must be done.

[​IMG]
    John Dies at the End (2012) Rewatch - Rating: 3/5

Don Coscarelli adapts David Wong’s hilariously demented debut novel of the same name about two small-town slacker friends, who after accidently injecting themselves with a mysterious “drug” known as “soy sauce”, find they can see creatures and ghosts and other unexplainable things from another plane of existence and must become unwitting spiritual exorcists and save the world from an impending doom. Like a bizarro horror version of Bill and Ted’s Bogus Journey, John Dies at the End is a fun, genre-bending romp.

3rd - October Madness No.3 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 3 - SPORTS & FITNESS: All pain, no gain. A workout watch out!

[​IMG]
    Death Spa (1988) Rewatch - Rating: 3/5

Death Spa is one of the most bat-shit and insane ‘80s horror offerings featuring a hi-tech fitness club that’s computerized equipment becomes possessed by the vengeful spirit of the club’s owner’s deceased wife and begins offing the clientele in gruesome ways. Gleefully excessive and unwavering in its non-sensicality, Death Spa will having you sweating out your brain cells with its cinematic work-out assault on the senses!

4th - October Madness No.4 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 4 - BLACK FRIDAY: A rough day at the shopping maul.

[​IMG]
    Chopping Mall (1986) Rewatch - Rating: 3.5/5

Easily Jim Wynorski’s best film, Chopping Mall is a blast from start to finish. Efficiently paced, this tale about a group of “teenagers” who stay after work at the mall for a little mattress store slumber party and find out the new mall security robots have a killer screw loose is a classic popcorn horror flick; chock-full of laughs, screams, and one of the best exploding heads. Bonus points for cameos by the likes of cult film regulars Dick Miller, Gerritt Graham, and Paul Bartel & Mary Woronov reprising their Eating Raoul characters as Mr. & Mrs. Bland.

5th - October Madness No.5 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 5 - MUMMY'S DAY: An ancient woman wrapped in linen has resurfaced with new purpose.

[​IMG]
    The Mummy (2017) - Rating: 1.5/5

Universal’s Dark Universe lives and then immediately dies with this first reboot in their now buried cinematic universe. Tom Cruise plays an arrogant and idiotic Indiana Jones-wannabe who unleashes the titular Mummy (here updated to a female character) from her slumber in a tomb/prison hidden in Iraq (buried far aware from Egypt in the hopes that she’d never be found). What follows is a brash, loud, heaping pile of garbage directed without grace by Alex Kurtzman featuring a bloated storyline and mummies-that-are-more-so-zombies that tries ham-fistedly to combine the Universal Horror properties into one universe (Russell Crowe as Dr. Jeckyll/Mr. Hyde is god-awful). Keep this one mummified!

6th - October Madness No.6 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 666 - THE DEVIL'S WORKSHOP: A mass, ritual, or summoning scene celebrating the Dark Prince.

[​IMG]
    The Devil’s Rain (1975) Rewatch - Rating: 3/5

The Devil’s Rain features a post-Star Trek: TOS William Shatner succumbing to Ernest Borgine’s command of a Satantic cult of eye-less and soul-less devotees, with supporting roles by Tom Skerrit, a pre-fame John Travolta, and Church of Satan founder (and the film’s technical advisor) Anton LaVey, so what more could you want from a ‘70s Satanic shocker? Well, how about an amazing climax of melting, gushing, gruesomely gross special effects! Plus! See William Shatner in eyeless make-up that is the first instance, of what I believe, is a spitting image of the face that would become infamous only a few years later in John Carpenter’s Halloween (seeing as Michael Myer’s mask is simply a painted and dyed Shatner mask).

7th - October Madness No.7 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 7 - DATKAIJŪ: The bigger the better. Who needs a city anyway?

[​IMG]
    Godzilla, King of the Monsters! (1956) Rewatch - Rating: 3/5

The Americanized version of Japan’s immortal giant monster epic Gojira (1954) may feature a bland Raymond Burr providing watered-down exposition so the United States could be inserted into Japan’s cinematic commentary on the effects of the nuclear bomb and the trauma of WWII, but it still is a fun and effective re-edit of a classic creature feature.

8th - October Madness No.8 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 8 - AFTER THE DISASTER: Will we rebuild, adapt, or move on?

[​IMG]
    Robot Holocaust (1986) Rewatch - Rating: 2.5/5

Tim Kincaid’s bargain-basement apocalyptic tale about our robot overlords taking over civilization and enslaving mankind is a goofy, inept, and abysmally cheap sci-fi extravaganza. Featuring a whopping three locations, featuring the majority of screen time devoted to the New York Naval ship-works, this mostly uneventful sci-fi actioner features acting by actors who have never seen a movie, nor a stage play, and is directed with the skill of a cardboard cut-out. However, Ed French’s rubber-suited costume creations are truly out-of-this-world and elevate pretty much everything in this film! Big dumb fun!

9th - October Madness No.9 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 9 - DIGITAL S(T)IMULATIONS: A pre-2000 movie using computer generate "special" effects.

[​IMG]
    A.P.E.X. (1993) - Rating: 2/5

A.P.E.X., short for Advanced Prototype Extermination Unit, is one of many sci-fi knock-offs from Phillip J. Roth that repurposes The Terminator plot for the direct-to-video market. This time-travel tale about a futuristic military experiment gone wrong transports a scientist’s robot creations to the past (April 4th, 1973 to be exact) where they then proceed to wipe out and take over civilization, then transporting said scientist back-to-the-future of 2073 to an alternate reality where this apocalyptic world has come true, so he must team of with some renegade soldiers to re-write the future back before he could make the mistake of sending his kill-bots back-to-the-past. Sound confusing? It’s because it kinda is. The robot costumes are pretty cool, but the action is bland and the outcome predictable, and the early computer effects are Lawnmower Man-quality.

10th - October Madness No.10 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 10 - ANALOG MANIPULATIONS: Practical effects are the truth. No CGI will be tolerated.

[​IMG]
    Poltergeist III (1988) Rewatch - Rating: 3/5

I’ve got to admit I have a bit of a soft-spot for this under-appreciated Poltergeist sequel, as it was actually the first film in the series I saw and one of the first horror films I saw as a kid. Sure, the storytelling does have plenty of flaws and the unfortunate passing of Heather O’Rourke did affect the ending, but for a film featuring entirely practical in-camera effects it’s an absolute funhouse of horrors and the effects are still just as magic as when I first saw the film.

11th - October Madness No.11 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 11 - THE OLD WAY: Watch a classic from 1959 or before.

[​IMG]
    Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954) Rewatch - Rating: 4/5

This late entry into the Universal Monsters cannon is a bona-fide classic featuring a well-told tale of man vs. nature in an exceptionally executed creature-feature with one of the best rubber suit monsters. What’s more to be said about this one then already has? Not much. Plain and simple: a true classic.

11th - October Madness No.12 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 11 Part 2 - THE OLD WAY: Watch a classic from 1959 or before.

[​IMG]
    House of Wax (1953) - Rating: 4/5

I can’t believe I hadn’t seen this one sooner. Vincent Price gives a great performance as a vengeful artist who hides his murderous secrets in his wax creations, featuring some ghoulish make-up effects, chilling set-pieces, and some wonderfully placed humour. Having only seen the 2nd remake previously, I will also have to finally watch the ‘30s original too!

12th - October Madness No.13 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 12 - THE FRACAS & THE FUZZ: Something revolving around cops and criminals.

[​IMG]
    Shocker (1989) Rewatch - Rating: 2.5/5

Wes Craven’s Shocker was originally to be a spin-off of the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise but clearly isn’t nearly as effective. Mitch Pileggi is over-the-top as the killer TV repairman Horace Pinker who comes back to haunt Peter Berg after he’s fried in the electric chair (but not before he had time to smuggle in some jumper cables to complete a black magic ritual in his death row jail cell). Filled to the brim with terrible one-liners and some bizarre effects set-pieces (the channel surfing scene is fun but what were they thinking with the possessed vibrating recliner chair… anyone?), Shocker is at times dumb fun, but shockingly just mostly dumb.

13th - October Madness No.14 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 13 - DO YOU FEEL LUCKY, PUNK?: A film about luck; good, bad, or ugly.

[​IMG]
    Beyond the Seventh Door (1987) Rewatch - Rating: 3/5

Saw by way of the National Film Board of Canada is the easiest way to describe Beyond the Seventh Door to the uninitiated. This low-budget TV-movie-esque thriller pits Yugoslavian-born Lazar Rockwood, Canada’s version of Tommy Wiseau, against the wits of a millionaire who’s booby-trapped his castle-mansion’s basement to keep his money/treasure out of the hands of Rockwood and his ex-girlfriend who have snuck in to steal it. Featuring some cool puzzle set-pieces, this movie may have also inspired future Canadian puzzle-thriller Cube too!

13th - October Madness No.15 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 13 Part 2 - DO YOU FEEL LUCKY, PUNK?: A film about luck; good, bad, or ugly.

[​IMG]
    Flowers in the Attic (1987) Rewatch - Rating: 3.5/5

When their creepy father dies, a family is left penniless and must travel to the large estate of their mother’s even creepier family for the mother to win back their love in hopes of gaining entry back into the family will after their mother explains she was estranged from the family. Based on the infamous V.C. Andrews novel, Flowers in the Attic is a dark, twisted, and chilling tale of incest and family secrets, and the unfortunate luck of the young siblings who must remain locked up in the attic – invisible to the habitants of the estate – for the hope that their mother will return to them with good news to be formed back into a happy family.

14th - October Madness No.16 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 14 - S.T.D. Madness!: No, not syphilitic symptoms. Science, Transformation, & Dabbling; a cracked scientist's creative palette.

[​IMG]
    The Vineyard (1989) - Rating: 2/5

James Hong stars, co-writes, and co-directs this late 80s horror flick about a much-older-than-he-appears scientist/winemaker who uses the blood of young people to create an elixir which keeps him young. In an attempt to woo more specimens for his sinister experiments, Dr. Po (Hong) invites a group of young actors to his island estate with the promise of landing a role in a movie he’ll be producing there (so he’s an entrepreneur of many roles). Featuring kung-fu, zombies, costumed dance parties, bad jokes, nudity, and more, you’d think this one would be a bit more entertaining, but sadly this wine hasn’t aged well and is rather dull and forgettable.

14th - October Madness No.17 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 14 Part 2 - S.T.D. Madness!: No, not syphilitic symptoms. Science, Transformation, & Dabbling; a cracked scientist's creative palette.

[​IMG]
    Science Crazed (1989) Rewatch - Rating: 5/5

The single most WTF movie in existence, Science Crazed is a love it or hate it monstrosity of cinematic non-cinema. (I love it so much I licensed and released it onto the world on Special Edition DVD through my company Videonomicon) Dr. Frank (director Ron Switzer) impregnates a woman at the Shelley Institute with a serum he’s devised that will make her give birth to a full grown creature within 21 hours (clearly someone was influenced by Frankenstein). Well, the ‘fiend’ as he becomes known escapes and goes on a rampage down the endless hallways, dragging his feet, as he strangles nameless personnel in increasingly head-scratching and time-consuming scenes of absolutely movie madness involving aerobics, arcades, nerve gas testing, pool parties, and sensual ‘fiend’ chest massaging. Meanwhile Dr. Frank’s two assistants and a bumbling cop (whose office is a video store…?) who chews his lines like the Twizzler’s he’s constantly eating in the movie team up to find and stop the ‘fiend’. Science Crazed isn’t so much a movie as it is an experience!

15th - October Madness No.18 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 15 - PICK YOUR POISON: One with some drugs in it. Turn on, tune in... and freak out!

[​IMG]
    I Drink Your Blood (1971) Rewatch - Rating: 3.5/5

David Durston’s grindhouse hippie horror freakout is a rabid blast! When the Manson cult-like Sons and Daughters of Satan descend upon a soon-to-be-American-ghost-town and wreak havoc, assaulting the granddaughter of a bakery owner and then dosing the old man with LSD, they become even more homicidally crazed when the young grandson of the old man infects their meat pies with rabies from a rabid dog in an act of revenge for making his grandpop’s go crazy! Relentless, action-packed, horrifying, and featuring a truly awesome early electronic score, I Drink Your Blood is a true drugged-out blood-drenched horror cult classic!

16th - October Madness No.19 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 16 - ROCK 'N' ROLL MISCREANTS: Give some screen time to the punks and/or metal heads.

[​IMG]
    Shock ‘Em Dead (1990) Rewatch - Rating: 3.5/5

This early 90’s shot-on-film but edited-on-video horror comedy about a nerd who makes a deal with a voodoo priestess and sells his soul to the devil to become a rock ‘n’ roll superstar, with all the perks, gives Tipper Gore all the incentive that metal truly is the Devil’s music! With gloriously over the top performances, a goofy plot, and some cheap video effects, Shock ‘Em Dead is a metal horns-raising romp that’s diabolically fun. Featuring Traci Lords in one of her many direct-to-video Hollywood hits and the legendary Aldo Ray in his final roll, Shock ‘Em Dead is a riff of a flick that keeps on shredding!

hulkyduck, Colin, Angelman and 7 others like this.