The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2019!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 17

Today tuned into bigfoot style stuff, not intentionally though.

72. Lake Mungo (2008) Prime - Had to grab some movies for on the go. This one is sort of like a documentary that focuses on spiritual sightings after a girls drowning. More of an interview based show that felt a little more drama than horror. It was okay for what it was.

73. On the Trail of Bigfoot (2019) Prime - This was definitely a documentary. It's a part 1 that looks at the many sightings of bigfoot from various parts of the country. Lot's of info and interviews in this. Not really scary obviously, but kind of fun to watch if you like this type of thing.

74. Prophecy (1979) Prime - The hairless bear movie. Someone I used to know always brought up the hairless bear. This one is kind of classic in ways. Has its charm and I enjoyed revisiting it again.

75. The Invisible Ray (1936) Blu - Third movie from the Universal Horror Collection. This was a first time watch for me. Karloff pulls off the mad scientist bit in this one. Another to feature him and Lugosi together. I believe these two were featured together 8 times, 4 of which are in this boxset from Scream Factory. Fun movie.

~Rocker10

2. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

October 17th: Ator, the Fighting Eagle

Ator.png

Cheap spaghetti Conan knock-off from Joe d’Amato, the guy who gave us such exploitive delights as Absurd, Anthropophagus, Emanuelle and the Last Cannibals, and Erotic Nights of the Living Dead. Ator, the Fighting Eagle could have used a little of the gory, sleazy sentimentality of those movies. It amounts to little more than a guy with a hot body running around in a threadbare production. I much prefer the sequel Iron Warrior, which at least is theatrical and weird and has more charismatic villains. I did like some things about it: Ator's courtship of his own sister, the cute little bear cub, the sorceress who must never see her own reflection, and the closing rip-off of Sheena Easton’s Bond hit, For Your Eyes Only. There are also some creature effects that bring to mind Bill Rebane’s The Giant Spider Invasion, and I don’t mean that in a nice way. The glow-in-the-dark slipcase from Dark Force looks great, though! :p

October 17th: Parasite 3D (in 2D)

Parasite.png

We’ve all heard the story of that big Hollywood actor/actress who doesn’t like to discuss their early B-movie roles. I imagine Demi Moore feels that way about Parasite 3D. Not because it’s a cruddy movie (it is, though), but because it caught her before she’d honed her craft (and that’s being charitable). A scientist has created a deadly parasite for the government, but discovers they intend to use it for evil purposes, so he destroys all but two. One he keeps inside his body, the other in a canister. The one in the canister escapes. It’s now up to the scientist and his new friend, lemon farmer Demi Moore, stop it before it starts to multiply. Much of the time, the leech monster is attached to a host, so it shouldn’t be too hard to locate. The problem is finally managed when the scientist realises that the parasite can be killed with sound – a conclusion he seems to draw out of thin air. Still, the monster looks okay, and the movie has one cool shot of it exploding from the face of one of its hosts.

3. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #18:
    The Hitcher (1986)
    Rewatch (UK DVD)
    **** (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    17. EVIL IN BROAD DAYLIGHT: Scary stories aren't just for the night time.

Really enjoy this one, but some of the logistics make it less than perfect for me. The way Ryder is always at the right place at the right time (and is such a crack shot he can take down a helicopter with a handgun) and the fact that Jim's go to way to get out of a situation is to pull a gun on a cop always ring a little false. Still great performances, suspense, and car action.

Rocker10, hots4, indrid13 and 4 others like this.
  4. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Oct. 17th
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

40) The City of the Dead (a.k.a. Horror Hotel): A college student heads to a rural New England town to study witchcraft, only to discover a disturbing secret about the locals. Garnering a reputation of being one of the best horror films of the 1960’s, “The City of the Dead” lives up to the hype. Although it may seem quaint by modern standards, this film has so much energy and charm I couldn’t help but have a good time. I loved the use of fog in this one, giving off a spooky vibe that permeates throughout the film. Christopher Lee is great as usual, but a lot of the supporting cast is weak. Through in a great climax and a WTF ending and you got something fun. (7/10)

41) I Bury the Living: A Cemetery director discovers he can kill a grave plot’s owner by changing their plot’s status from vacant to occupied. This was another real treat, giving off serious vibes of “The Twilight Zone” and “Tales from the Crypt” (even though it predates both). I think what really makes this stand out is the level of humanity the lead – played by Richard Boone – is given. He is not just some psychopath who becomes drunk with power once he realizes his God like ability, but is psychologically and emotionally torn by it, even if killing certain people suites his interests. His descent into madness really hits home and makes for a real bleak, yet interesting experience. The production value may be cheap, and the ending a bit underwhelming, but it’s still a great piece of forgotten horror cinema I recommend everyone check out. (7/10)

Rocker10, Paff, indrid13 and 5 others like this.
  5. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    10/17:
    TRILOGY OF TERROR on Blu Ray. The movie everyone saw - but me until 1987. There are certain films that, when the conditions are just right, the universe succeeds in diverting you from ever seeing them no matter how badly you wanted. When this first aired, I had just turned four years old. I was immediately forbidden from watching it and sent straight to bed. The TV commercials enthralled and excited me. Although horror films were allowed in our house, this one was on the banned list for no reason whatsoever. "No!" they said. I protested as best as I could to no avail. For the next DECADE and beyond, it remained that one film everyone got to enjoy but me - it's biggest fan. Ever since I learned to read, I would actively scour the TV guide looking to see if it would ever air again. I didn't even know the correct title. I looked for ANY title relating to a doll, demonic statue...anything. I saw a lot of strange films that way - tuning in to see if it was that one film and promptly changing channel if it wasn't. Of course, not knowing the title, I managed to actually miss a few reruns. Always finding out the next day from someone else about that movie they just watched about a scary doll that chased a woman around her house. It was MADDENING.
    Anyway, I finally watched my Blu ray of this film and it was terrific. I have the other version on DVD as well. I never tire of it. Oddly enough, my favorite episode is the first one. The second story is very mild but it's amusing to see Karen Black in drag playing both parts to the hilt. Fun stuff!
    I fell asleep during the end credits and woke up at 4:45 a.m. with the main menu screen staring at me. It did give me a jolt.
    [​IMG]

Rocker10, hots4, indrid13 and 5 others like this.
  6. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/17/19

ALLIGATOR (1980)

[​IMG]

Marisa Kendall purchases a cute little baby alligator at a tourist trap swamp show while on vacation in Florida. Back home in Missouri, it doesn’t take too long for her parents to despise the new pet. Her father promptly flushes it down the toilet. Twelve years later and the gator has grown into a massive monster. Discarded pet carcasses of poor animals tested with experimental growth formula play a considerable role in the “supersize” process. Police officer David Madison (Robert Forster) teams up with a herpetologist, who just so happens to be Marisa (now played by Robin Riker). The rising death toll brings the SWAT team into action along with some less conventional strategies to take this monster down.

Alligator is yet another film influenced by Jaws (1975), yet the script from John Sayles (Piranha ‘78, The Howling) has enough interesting ideas of its own. The basic concept itself plays with the urban legends of alligators living in big city sewer systems. The gut-wrenching evil in animal testing runs much deeper. Dean Jagger (So Sad About Gloria, Evil Town) is slimy as the corporate head responsible. Sydney Lassick (Carrie, The Unseen) partners as a sleazy pet store owner wearing loud Hawaiian shirts. I was bummed out to read of Robert Forster’s passing last week. His police officer here is such a no-bullshit character. You could say that about many parts Forster played in his career. Can’t leave without commenting on Henry Silva. He plays big game hunter Colonel Brock, hired by the mayor. Brock is truly off his rocker doing alligator impersonations for the local news. Later he gets pissed on bourbon when the time comes to confront the beast with his high-powered shotgun.

So much cult movie fun to be had. The action starts with a bang as we are treated to an alligator attack at the Florida reptile show. After the sewers are no longer capable of containment, it breaks up a baseball game and a very expensive outdoor wedding reception. Another highlight takes a new twist on playing the “walk the plank” game. Alligator is long overdue for a Blu-ray release. Would love to retire this old Lion’s Gate DVD as it deserves an upgrade.

7. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Day 16 of the Scarecrow Psychotronic Challenge.
    Rock ‘n’ Roll Miscreants: Give some screen time to the punks and/or metal heads.
    For this one, went with a film I'd only seen once before. Green Room. I loved it then. And it held up great on a 2nd viewing. Patrick Stewart plays one hell of a bad guy. The film is ruthless when it comes to killing off characters.

[​IMG]

Day 17 of the Scarecrow Psychotronic Challenge.
    EVIL IN BROAD DAYLIGHT: Scary stories aren't just for the night time.
    For this i went with Frogs. About 90% of this film takes place during the day, including all the kills. Frogs is a solid '70's nature gets revenge flick. Young Sam Elliot in this would have made a great Rick Grimes from The Walking Dead.

hulkyduck, Rocker10, hots4 and 5 others like this.
  8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Always a staple at CinemaPaff in October. I thought it was especially cool that they
    kill the main character halfway through the film
    The relatively short running length (75min) makes this perfect for when you want to watch a movie but are short on time.

hulkyduck, Colin and indrid13 like this.
  9. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Good title to hit, as homage to Forster's recent passing.

10. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

26. The Outer Limits S01E07: O.B.I.T (Gerd Oswald, 1963)

[​IMG]

It's becoming increasingly apparent to me that the appeal of this show is not due just to it's way-out-there alien stories. It is a seriously well crafted, well lit, well shot, and above all well acted show. Case in point O.B.I.T. Jeff Corey as Lomax is so profoundly weird in his role, he's like something out of a Cohen Brothers' movie. And Joanne Gilbert as Barbara Scott plays her role with so much pathos and nervous energy, she really leaps off the screen, even when she's just sitting in a chair smoking a cigarette. Like Robert Culp in The Architects of Fear, I'm really impressed by the intensity and realism that a lot of these performers brought to the roles in this show, and it results in episodes like this that, despite ultimately being almost entirely dialogue-driven, are captivating. This was another really, really good one.

27. The Vengeance of Fu Manchu (Jeremy Summers, 1967)

[​IMG]

I enjoyed this one just as much as Brides, although its interesting how very different in tone the two films are. The camp and old-school serial feel of Brides of Fu Manchu is almost completely gone, and instead this film takes full advantage of it's Chinese filming locations to create a surprising feeling of authenticity and actual stakes and conflict. And Christopher Lee continues to enjoy a good amount of screen time this go round. In Fu Manchu's most diabolical scheme yet, a plastic surgery-enhanced double assumes Nayland Smith's identity in order to discredit him before Fu has the pleasure of finally killing Smith himself. Through cross-cutting and above-average (for this series) fight choreography, the final 15 minutes achieve some real tension as we watch the various intertwined events play out. This is probably the most satisfying Fu-film so far...on to the Jess Franco films!

(I'm curious to see - will the final two films maintain the pattern of ending with Nayland Smith and Co. riding to the safety of the hills, only to turn about at the last possible minute to watch Fu Manchu's fortress explode yet again, and wonder...did Fu Manchu REALLY perish this time? You'd think after being fooled more than once, Nayland Smith might hang around one of these times to actually check it out.)

11. Rocker10

Day 18

76. Jeepers Creepers 2 (2003) Blu - I wanted to get this one in before I watched the third movie I just got. I liked this one. The first one will always be my favorite, but this movie was a lot of fun too.

77. Jeepers Creepers 3 (2017) Blu - The in between move that came third. I though this one was okay, but got some things wrong as well. I don't want to get into spoilers in case somebody hasn't seen it. It was an interesting watch but would definitely be the last of the three in terms of me liking them.

78. The Dorm That Dripped Blood (1981) Blu - I had never heard of this movie until the discussion a few days back. Knowing it was a film school project and a bit on the low budget side, I was all in. Got it ordered and it arrived today. Had a lot of fun with this one. One of the reasons I love this thread every year is stuff like this. I always end my marathon finding new movies to me thanks to the knowledge of all of you!

79. Black Friday (1940) Blu - The final movie in the first Universal Horror collection. This one had horror elements in ways but was a bit more mob like. Good performances once again by Karloff and Lugosi. The pairing of these two great actors definitely had a lot of versatility. 4 very different flms in this set.

~Rocker10

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  12. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Oct. 18th
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

42) 3 From Hell: Otis and Baby escape prison – with the help of their half-brother Winslow – and go on another murderous rampage. I’m a huge fan of “The Devil’s Rejects” and by no mean was I clamoring for a sequel, so my gut instinct turned out to be correct because this film is pretty bad. Sure, the film has all of Rob Zombie’s trademarks (excessive violence, cheeky one liners, bitchin’ 70’s soundtrack), and it’s great to see Mosley and Sheri Moon reprising their iconic roles, but everything about this feels forced and lazy. The story is mostly retread of the previous film, with less originality, a smaller budget, and worse dialogue. It was goo that Sid Haig got a brief cameo as Cpt. Spaulding, but it was more depressing than anything else because he very much looked like a tired, sick old man. I think this could have been something special, but it seemed everyone involved participated out of necessity instead out of passion. (5/10)

43) In the Tall Grass: A brother and sister wade through an ocean like grassy noel when they hear cries of a young boy, only to find out there is no exit. A film that would have worked better as a 30 to 40 minute short, “In the Tall Grass” is a stupid and overblown film that bored me to death. There is far too much meandering, bad attempts at commenting on religious zealotry, and a weird and unnecessary allusion to incest between the siblings. The film’s biggest problem – other than being tedious – is the miscasting of Patrick Wilson as the antagonist. He was not the least bit menacing and his performance came across hammy and over the top. The film is well shot though, with some great cinematography and a few good over head shots of the grass field which were quite creepy. There’s even a pretty good “Anitchrist” sequence towards the climax that was effective. Overall, I thought this was a waste. (4/10)

44): Little Monsters: While attending elementary school students on a field trip, a failed musician, a teacher, and a kid’s show personality must protect the kids during a zombie outbreak. Since the release of “Shaun of the Dead” over 15 years ago, the abundance of zombie related horror/comedies have been overbearing, and most of them are not so good. Thankfully, “Little Monsters” rises above just another Shaun want to be and does its own thing. The jokes hit more than they miss, the chemistry between Lupita Nyong’o and Alexander England is fantastic, and the supporting cast of children are quite impressive. The zombie action is a bit on the light side, and Josh Gad as the kid’s show actor proved to be useless outside of plot convenience later in the film, but it’s still a quality horror comedy. (7/10)

hulkyduck, hots4, Rocker10 and 3 others like this.
  13. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Some more presentations not suitable for all audiences. Ratings are out of ****.

10/16/19 - Are You in the House Alone? (1978) **
    A high school girl is menaced and then raped by a stalker.

For most of its run a slow paced, low energy, but not ineffective suspense film. As often the case the cast is obviously overaged for their teenager roles. The film keeps the viewer guessing with several viable suspects, such as a jealous ex-boyfriend and a pervy teacher. Add in the usual un-helpful supporting characters, like the mother who talks but doesn't listen, the insecure current boyfriend, and the patronizing school principal.

Then the true villain swoops in from left field, and flips the film's suspense angle for a heavy handed, preachy social justice statement.

The message, particularly for the time, was an important one. But even then it would have been more effective with a subtle delivery (this one is so blatant it actually ends with a voice over narration). As it stands, this is just bait and switch film making, and not worth the time.

10/17/19 - Ganja & Hess (1973) ***
    A reticent black professional shares his life and vampiric curse with an unyieldingly self-serving woman in 70s America.

Oft labeled as an art house blaxploitation vampire flick, that unlikely combination is accurate and probably the most succinct description. Languid, sometimes pretentious, heavy on symbolism and cultural flashbacks, a touch surreal, delivering a potent parable of addiction and salvation. Arguably deserving to be called a vampire genre classic, if for no other reason there is little else to compare to this film's unique perspective.

10/18/19 - Rituals (1977) ***
    Another group of old friends go on a camping trip in the wilderness, only to get worn down and picked off by a hidden killer.

A grim, primal tale of endurance and existence, with the protagonists almost their own worst enemies. It’s clear this group doesn't like each other much, with lead Hal Holbrook playing to type as a preachy pretentious prick and Lawrence Dane as his ethics ignoring, self-centered opposite. An incident in their shared past, when their moral situations reversed, drives a friction wedge into the group's chance of survival.

Not on par with the obvious inspiration Deliverance, it is arguably the best of the imitators. Like that film the reason why this particular group is tormented is never fully explained (although a general animosity is given in this film), and none is needed. It’s all about the journey, and this is a grueling one.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    hulkyduck, fattyjoe37, hots4 and 3 others like this.
  14. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/18/19

THE MUMMY (1959)

[​IMG]

A group of archaeologists led by John Banning (Peter Cushing), his father Stephen (Felix Aylmer), and uncle Joseph (Raymond Huntley) search for the tomb of Princess Ananka in Egypt of 1895. A breakthrough occurs, but John is dealing with a broken leg and forced to sit out much of the excavation. A concerned local named Mehemet Bey (George Pastell) warns them of ancient curses for desecration. Telling him to fuck off in less blunt terms, they proceed to unearth the sarcophagus of Ananka. If that’s not enough to stir up supernatural wrath, Stephen also reads from the Scroll of Life found in the tomb. Bad fortune ends their trip on a sour note and continues upon their return to England.

This was the first of four mummy films made by Hammer Productions. The last one Blood from the Mummy’s Tomb (1971) is the only interesting sequel despite its further departure from the series. The 1959 original has more in common with Universal’s mummy sequels compared to the 1932 Boris Karloff classic. Peter Cushing is believable throughout with John’s leg injury, which is just part of the strained relationship the character has with his father. What really sells the film is the performance of Christopher Lee as Kharis, the title avenger. Lee’s towering height, body language, and undead movements all make for a truly menacing presence. Lee is very expressive with his eyes alone. The fights between Cushing and Lee are great. No matter what weapons are used, the mummy is virtually unstoppable. Some historical flashbacks slow the story down. This probably could have been trimmed a bit. The old footage gives Lee screen time before being bandaged up. Yvonne Furneaux plays both Cushing’s wife and Princess Ananka in the flashbacks.

Terence Fisher is rightly remembered as the best director of Hammer Horror. Just as he did with Curse of Frankenstein (1957) and Horror of Dracula (1958), his version of The Mummy is among the best this studio has to offer. We continue to play the waiting game for Warner to release Curse of Frankenstein on Blu-ray.

THE SKULL (1965)

[​IMG]

Chris Maitland (Peter Cushing) is an occult writer with an insatiable desire for macabre oddities. Friend and fellow collector Sir Matthew Phillips (Christopher Lee) shares this devotion for all things dark. Sometimes rivals, each of them attempts to outdo the other in terms of esoteric relics. Shady antiques dealer Anthony Marco (Patrick Wymark) goes to Maitland with a new find: the skull of the Marquis de Sade. Skeptical of its authenticity, Maitland is unable to make an impulse buy. The temptation is too much for him though, even with ample warnings made clear to him.

Amicus Productions were best known for their anthology horror pictures, though more conventional format releases can be found in their catalog. These often featured performers from Hammer Films. The Skull is one of the better offerings from this list. The script suggests that the Marquis de Sade was possibly the most evil person who ever lived. It’s far fetched of course, but sets up much of the paranormal twists that unfold. The POV shots from within the skull itself are a fun gimmick momentarily, albeit overdone. Christopher Lee gets “special guest” billing as though made for television. This was released theatrically. No mistaking this is Peter Cushing’s show. He plays a literary man who just cannot resist those dark urges. So many cool things to check out around his house (same goes for Lee). Michael Gough appears as the auctioneer at an estate sale loaded with spooky stuff. Another great British character actor, Patrick Magee checks in as a police surgeon.

The Skull may not bring the showmanship level of The House That Dripped Blood (1971), Asylum (1972) or Tales from the Crypt (1972). It does offer some fun late night entertainment with two of the finest British horror stars in Cushing and Lee. Cursed antiques are an interesting cinematic subject. The Skull delivers on that premise with a couple surprises up its sleeve.

dave13, hulkyduck, Kim Bruun and 4 others like this.
  15. indrid13

[​IMG]

Day 18 of the Scarecrow Psychotronic Challenge.
    ONLY ON VHS Day: Watch something on true psychotronic format. If you don’t have access to a VCR then watch a movie with a VCR/VHS theme in it.
    A few years ago I first watched V/H/S. It's got a fun concept for a horror anthology. But both times I had the same problem with the film. It's way too uneven. There's a couple good segments. A couple okay ones. And a couple that just drag on.

[​IMG]

Plus I watched The Bunker on VHS. A claustrophobic WW 2 set ghost story, that's a bit dull at times. Reminded me a little of The Keep. But with none of that film's great score or visuals.

16. Rocker10

Day 19

80. The Howling (1981) Blu - It's a classic now. I remember watching this one when it was fairly new. The infamous werewolf transformation scene. Good stuff!

81. Cellar Dweller (1988) Blu - This is kind of an odd movie. Comic style artwork controlling the outcome of the story and monster, or at least that's the way I took it. Kind of an average flick.

82. Blood and Black Lace (1964) Blu - First time watch. I really enjoyed this one. I picked it up on an Arrow sale at Diabolik if I remember right. It's Mario Bava so I felt pretty good about it. Turned out really well. Ended up turning my day into a Bava watch day.

83. A Bay of Blood (1971) Blu - Another fun Bava film. Somebody at some point had mentioned how similar the kills were in this one to Friday the 13th if I remember right. I had watched this before, but focused on that point in this viewing and saw the similarities. Also, everybody killing everybody. This was a crazy movie that way.

84. Kill, Baby...Kill! (1966) Blu - More Bava. This one was quite a bit slower in my opinion. Decent enough. Seen this one before.

85. The Hills Have Eyes (1977) Blu - Back to the Arrow set for the second time with this one. This movie is pretty classic at this point. It has its bizaare points, but it's why you can't stop watching it. I guess I kind of went backwards this year, but got both in.

~Rocker10

dave13, hulkyduck, Colin and 6 others like this.
  17. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

October 18th: 10 to Midnight

10 to midnight.png

My appreciation of this this movie has greatly increased since my first viewing more than a decade ago. There’s a really lurid quality to it. Not just because the killer chases his victims stark naked. Not just because it takes the audience to the shady part of town, where hookers and transvestites roam the streets with impunity. But just as much because it makes a case for vigilante justice. The message seems to be that if law enforcement has to work strictly within the boundaries of the law, the bad guys go unpunished and innocent people suffer. It’s a slippery slope the movie takes us on via Charles Bronson’s character, but that’s okay – this is, after all, exploitation cinema. Opposite Bronson is a gorgeous young Andrew Stevens, who’s the mouthpiece for the by-the-book approach to law enforcement. Having recently enjoyed his villainous turns in Scared Stiff and The Seduction, I kind of expected him to be bland as the good guy, but he actually injects a lot of humor into his role – such as his sheepish reaction when he bursts into a room from where he’s heard the screams of a woman, only to find a young couple having sex. The final act takes the movie into horror territory with a suspenseful game of cat-and-mouse. There was even a jump scare which drew a big, loud falsetto scream from my throat. Any movie that can do that is okay by me.

October 19th: The Strangers: Prey at Night

Prey at Night.png

I loved this one when it hit the theatres last year: The awesome 80’s soundtrack, the jump scares, the chase scenes… It didn’t scare me quite as much this second time around, but I still had a good time with it. I give it credit for taking the brattiest, most self-absorbed bitchy teen from I-hope-she-dies-first to the point where you actually care for her and start rooting for her. At its core, though, this movie is a rollercoaster ride. The three strangers are awfully coordinated in their efforts to frighten and eventually kill their victims, but each of them shows a surprising disregard for his or her own well-being. When the tables are turned on them, it’s almost like they go on a suicide mission – better to give the audience one final scare than to live and fight another day. But by the time of the fiery finale, this didn’t matter much – they’d done their job, and my slasher cravings were satisfied.

October 19th: Spawn of the Slithis

Slithis.png

Finally opened my Code Red Blu-ray. Spawn of the Slithis earns its place among my favourites because of the monster attacks and an appearance by a hideously disfigured scientist. It takes what is basically a 50’s monster movie plot and injects it with a 70’s dose of blood and nudity. The gore is fun and the monster looks great, but Slithis is a movie I like despite its imperfections. While the acting is a mixed bag, one particular performance darn near took me out of the movie: The police chief, who delivers every line in a stagy, over-the-top manner, coupled with ludicrously exaggerated facial expressions. Maybe it was supposed to be funny, but it was like watching a monkey swallow a hand grenade. It’s not surprising that Slithis is the actor’s only movie credit. Fortunately, the movie won me back with a spirited and splattery finale.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  18. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Oct. 19th
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

45) Waxwork

46) Monster Squad

47) Killer Klowns from Outer Space

48) Fright Night (1985)

19. indrid13

[​IMG]

Day 19 of the Scarecrow Psychotronic Challenge.
    VIDEO STORE DAY: This is the big one. Watch something physically rented or bought from a video store. If you live in a place that is unfortunate enough not to have one of thee archival treasures then watch a movie with a video store scene in it at least.
    Don Dohler's Blood Massacre. A strange mix of From Dusk Till Dawn and Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Features a slick scene towards the beginning with a video store robbery. Blood Massacre is different then the other Dohler flicks I've seen so far. No aliens. It's also way more stylish and polished then his other films I've sampled. There's a couple twists that keep it interesting. One you see a mile out and one that is just bizarre and awesome.

[​IMG]

The night's 2nd film was Jack-O. As producer Fred Olen Ray mentions on the commentary, it's a real shit pickle. Something about it though, brings me back to it every few years.

[​IMG]

Umberto Lenzi's Black Demons was last night's final film. An okay time waster from later in Lenzi's career. It's more zombies then demons though.

20. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Well-Known Member

32. Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (2019) First Time Watch

Cinema. Caught this in an afternoon showing in my local cinema missed it on its initial run.

I was expecting this to be a series of unrelated segments with a wraparound , did not expect it to be filmed in the style of Trick r Treat. think i might have loved this a teenager and probably be one of those films i look back in fondness with nostalia glasses on . In the end i found it predictable and unoriginal , worth a watch but nothing i think i will return to soon. 3/5

33. Fright (1971)

Picked this up on Blu Ray last week , had not seen this since i caught on late night tv about 3o years ago but the film had always stuck with me.

Susan George plays a babysitter terrorised by the ex husband of the wife who employed her. The earliest example of a babysitter in peril which became a staple of the horror genre.

Tenses in places with a great cast , nice to return to a film i enjoyed a while ago and find it still holds up. 4/5

34. And Soon The Darkness (1970) First Time Watch

Blu Ray. Two British nurses biking through the French countryside on holiday have an argument leading to one cycling away to continue her journey , after returning to find her friend after cooling down she finds her missing , leading to a search for her friend. A Hitchcockian feel to the proceedings as the red herrings and suspects pile up leading to the finale .

Starts off slow but leads to a tense climax as the identity of the killer is revealed. 3.5/5

35. Hell House LLC (2015)

Amazon Prime. One of my favorite found footage films of recent years , those clowns stll give me the heebie jeebies. The film generates an impressive atmosphere but can slow down when we move away from the hotel antics to the talking heads. 3.5/5

36. Night of the Living Dead. (1968)

Finally got round to opening my Criterion blu ray and what an upgrade on the previous blu ray i had, what a good transfer they done. Not much i can say about this film just brilliant in every way. 5/5