The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2019!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 25, 2019.

1. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

I feel the 1978 Invasion of the Body Snatchers has yet to receive its full due as a remake superior to the original. Like The Thing, appreciation has grown for the film since its release, but unlike it not enough to pull from the original's shadow. Maybe because of the similar complaint that it added "unnecessary" gratuitous horror. Maybe because, in my opinion, the original The Thing honestly wasn't that good of a film while the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers was. Making it that much harder for the remake to stand out on quality terms.

I'm with many in despising remakes, particularly of iconic films. But this one solidly stands with The Thing, The Fly, The Blob as justification to grudgingly keep that door open. Because sometimes they don't just do it right, they do it better.

2. Jamie

Jamie Member

I was planning on posting in this thread this year, but so far I haven't watched much Horror. The weather here has been warm (Bay Area) so it hasn't really felt like October.

I did see the first half of Friday The 13th Part 3 on tv yesterday. I love Dana Kimmell, even her voice is awesome. I had been planning on rewatching Sweet Sixteen this month so I will do that soon for sure.

Oh, just remembered I did watch Deep Space again last weekend. Always loved that movie, I think it's Fred Olen Ray's best film. Id recommend it to any of you who haven't seen it yet. It's like a cross between an 80s buddy cop movie and Aliens!

hulkyduck, hots4, Rocker10 and 2 others like this.
  3. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Day 26 of the Scarecrow Psychotronic Challenge.
    THERE'S SOMETHIN' IN THEM THAR HILLS: Twangy cringers from the backwoods and by-waters.
    Night of The Demon. A pissed off and horny Bigfoot on a rampage. This film comes close to rivaling Don't Go in The Woods' batshit crazy randomness. There's penis ripping. A backwoods Bigfoot cult. And a dude named Professor Nugent. This film has to be seen to be believed.

[​IMG]

Next I watched Hack-O-Lantern. This was a first time viewing. This is a fun heavy metal Halloween flick. There's both a Satanic cult and a masked killer. The creepy grandfather steals the show.

[​IMG]

Last film of the night was Zombi 4: After Death. First couple of times I watched Zombi 4, I never really dug it. Over the years, with a few more viewings I started to notice how the Zombies are super agile and leap around. Like their in a Hong Kong horror film. They make for interesting alternative to the usual Italian zombie. Also the main song has a way of getting into your head as does the catchy score. Zombi 4 does have perhaps the dumbest characters in any horror film. Doing the stupidest thing in any situation.

Overall a fun, schlock filled movie night.

Kim Bruun, Colin, Rocker10 and 3 others like this.
  4. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 27

118. Family Plot (1976) Blu - I had realized that I hadn't gone to my Hitchcock set as I usually do. Don't remember watching this before so I had a go at it. Pretty good cast in this one. Did catch the Hitchcock cameo as I always try to figure that out. A little different, but good movie.

119. The Frighteners (1996) Blu - I hadn't upgraded this movie or seen it in a long time. Decided to get it done and watched it. It's a fun movie with some good humor and fun effects. I remember liking it years ago and enjoyed watching it again today.

120. Nightbeast (1982) Blu - I remember getting into the Troma Team stuff years ago, actually searching for more of it. I must have missed this one, but it definitely fits their model. Bad acting, cheap effects, etc. Pretty silly movie that was entertaining anyway.

121. Friday the 13th (1980) Blu - I also had not watched anything so far this year from this franchise. Decided to go with the first movie. Can't add anything to this one as it is already a classic, but fun to re-visit every now and then.

~Rocker10

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    indrid13, Colin, fattyjoe37 and 2 others like this.
  5. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/26/19

DISMEMBER THE ALAMO

Participating Alamo Drafthouse cinemas offer an all-day horror movie marathon in October. Today it was in Chandler. The 4 films are always a mystery until the movie starts playing. A vague theme was provided in advance: slashers. As usual, a couple clues were thrown out before each. Last weekend we went to the Tempe event with two great films and two shitshows. Fingers crossed that this one would be better overall.

THE MUTILATOR (1984)

[​IMG]

College student Ed (Matt Mitler) is asked by his father to head down to their beachfront family condo in North Carolina. Nothing complicated, it just needs to be winterized and shut down for the year. The relationship with Dad (Jack Chatham) has been very awkward ever since the accidental death of his mom. Ed’s girlfriend Pam (Ruth Martinez) is happy to hit the road with him. Two other couples join their friends for the weekend. Doesn’t sound like much work will be required. This leaves plenty of time for sex, swimming, and Natural Light beer.

Few surprises await you in The Mutilator. The film adheres to a pretty basic slasher formula, which was fine for the local audience. The humor was appreciated, maybe even the cheesy theme song? Serving alcohol in theaters always helps. No mystery at all with the killer’s identity. Be forewarned that the killer is prone to sleeping a lot. It’s not surprising when you consider how much liquor this character drinks. Cool selection of murder weapons is put to gory use, including the giant fishhook displayed on the poster.

Felt like a good start to the day. What would we dismember next?

PIECES (1982)

[​IMG]

A young boy in 1942 works on his naked lady puzzle only to be caught by his enraged mom. The kid responds by hacking her up with an axe and playing scared when cops arrive at the scene. Forty years later, a serial killer with a chainsaw is terrorizing a Boston university. Selected body parts are taken from the female victims. Lieutenant Bracken (Christopher George) investigates around the campus. Dean Foley (Edmund Purdom) wants to keep as much as possible out of the news. Could it be anatomy professor Arthur Brown (Jack Taylor, frequent Jess Franco actor)? Might it be the groundskeeper for hire named Willard (Paul Smith, Bluto from Popeye 1980) who’s built like a professional wrestler? Or maybe it’s someone else living off campus?

A few minutes before the slight clues given prior to the second feature, the co-host asked the crowd if there were any titles people were wishing for? I won’t do public speaking, so I simply said “Pieces” to my wife. The slight clues provided told me I was 100% right this time. I was overjoyed! For all the times I have watched this at home, today was my first theatrical viewing. Pieces is meant to be experienced with a crowd. Hands down, this film got the best reactions all day. Between the unintentional comedy, outrageous outbursts of gore, political incorrectness, absence of logic, and WTF randomness – Pieces is a grindhouse horror classic like no other. You could even call this giallo trash since we have a mystery killer dressed head to toe in black wearing gloves.

It’s not quite up to the shocking finale of Sleepaway Camp (1983), but Pieces ends on a note that is batshit crazy. I am under the impression that many people in attendance never saw the film before. Knew this couldn’t be topped today. Where did we go from here?

DREAM HOME (2010)

[​IMG]

Cheng Lai Sheung (Josie Ho) works two jobs, one of them as a miserable phone solicitor in Hong Kong. Her goal is to purchase an apartment at a nearby luxury tower overlooking Victoria Harbour. The real estate market is insane and water views command astronomical money. The building she desires is the same one her family was evicted from during her childhood. Low income housing converted into upscale units. Cheng’s dream does not materialize. Rather than brood about it, she takes up a side hobby: serial killer in her desired apartment building. Abundant murders should drive down the property value, right?

Having attended four Dismember the Alamo shows since last year, it’s safe to say that the host “jumps the shark” for movie number three. This happened every time without exception. Dream House kept the dubious tradition alive. It qualifies as slasher with extremely violent slayings. Nothing is held back in the gore department. Entertainment value is debatable. Did nothing for either of us other than serve as a buzzkill to the delirium of Pieces. The crowd was much quieter during this for reasons beyond having to read subtitles I imagine. Some social commentary is attempted in the scattered dramatic scenes. Just felt depressing when learning of Cheng’s family hardships and parental health issues. The cost of living (housing in particular) is just mind blowing in Hong Kong.

With just one feature left on the program, was there still time to right the ship?

BLOODY BIRTHDAY (1981)

[​IMG]

Three babies are born during a solar eclipse in 1970: two boys and a girl. A bad omen? Of course! Ten years later a horny young couple get the urge to fuck in an open grave at a cemetery. It’s not zombies, but the eclipse kids that kill them with ease. Debbie (Elizabeth Hoy) is the ringleader and younger daughter of the sheriff. Curtis (Billy Jacoby) is the most dangerous with his love of guns, not the toy variety. Steve (Andy Freeman) just goes with the demented flow, much more than your average hellion. Debbie compiles a scrapbook with their growing list of casualties.

We felt this was a nice way to end the marathon with a return to 80’s slashers. I have no idea what my favorite killer kid movie is? Bloody Birthday is most definitely a contender. Seeing kids using real guns is a whole new level of disturbing these days. Looking at it from an early 80’s grindhouse perspective, you are better off just going for the wild ride. Other methods of killing adults are happily demonstrated. Susan Strasberg (The Manitou, Sweet Sixteen) has the unfortunate job of teaching at their school. Julie Brown is also on board as the big sister of Debbie. The evil kid sister charges the others a mere twenty-five cents to secretly watch Julie dance naked in her bedroom. Money well spent!

This is the second year in a row that Chandler tops Tempe for having the better Dismember the Alamo program. We would be willing to attend next year as well.

6. KGBRadioMoskow

A 40 year spread of selections this time. Ratings are out of ****.

10/24/19 - The Blackcoat's Daughter (2015) **1/2
    When two teenage girls are left behind at a prep school on winter break, one finds her personal issues overshadowed by the suspicious behavior of the other.

A slow to develop film, progressing by jumps rather than gradual steps. Things roll at a steady tension tempo, then an event happens that ups the level of sinister, which becomes the norm until the next. It’s not a flawed approach, just different.

The problem is there is no clear reason given for the violent behavior. Possession? Mental break down? Possibly triggered by parent's death? Are they actually dead?

The film pointedly avoids answering those questions. There is an implication by phone call and an official's return to the school with regards to the parent question, but left open to alternate reasons. Instead the film explicitly answers early what other films would hold back on, such as an eerie hint revealing the relationship of the films two plot lines.

It is an odd and not particularly effective up-ending of storytelling tactics, quickly addressing minor mysteries while leaving unresolved the big one. Basically someone just snaps (and possibly snaps back) with a drastic change in core behavior and demeanor, and the viewer is supposed to accept it happened without rationalizing it. Meanwhile anything resembling a surprise or twist is laid bare before it happens.

What the film does have is stellar acting, particularly in the young but talent mature leads. And the story was well executed in mood, camera work, and sound. But it’s a flawed story, with a bleak but pointlessly opaque setup and resolution. I appreciate the gamble in the approach, and give due credit to the strength of its execution, but I found the result unsatisfactory.

The Lift (1983) **1/2
    An elevator delivers its riders six feet under.

A ludicrous premise, stretching the imagination on what the writer/director possibly could have rejected before running this idea up the flag pole. A possessed laundry-folding machine?

But the premise is played straight, which is the only way it could have worked as anything other than a forgettable comedy. The set-up is similar to the later Chopping Mall, but trades the survival horror for a 70s dystopia vibe hinting at a corporate conspiracy or technological doomsday. Much of the film is exposition and goose chase filler, investigations and character introductions that are irrelevant to the plot. There's enough mystery to keep the film going flat between what, ultimately, isn't a lot of action. After all, how many clever ways to kill are there involving an elevator?

Cutting the already short run time further would have been an improvement, but it’s still amusing viewing.

10/25/19 - The Sentinel (1977) ***
    A fashion model moves into a distinguished old apartment building in New York with some rather eccentric residents. Her life is soon upended by fainting spells, vivid dreams, disturbances and manifestations. All somehow related to her new home, and the revelation that her neighbors don't exist.

Religious conspiracy with demonic undercurrents was a popular motif in the 70s, and this film fits that mold. The usual mystery chasing tropes, including a nearly irrelevant crime detective side track, keeps the plot wandering on its path to a very linear plot goal. It’s all about mood, delivered like an approaching storm cloud of ominous occult dread.

The film's cast is a staggering roster of television and movie icons. Chris Sarandon, Jeff Goldblum, John Carradine, Burgess Meredith, Christopher Walken, Eli Wallach, Martin Balsam, Ava Gardner, Arthur Kennedy, Tom Berenger, William Hickey. Plus a surprisingly young looking Jerry Orbach and a delightfully kinky Beverly D'Angelo. If you played a 6 degrees game of actors of the last half of 20th century, you could practically plant this film in the middle of the diagram. The irony is the least accomplished actor in the film might be the lead, Cristina Raines.

Marrowbone (2017) **1/2
    A family escapes its oppressive past to an isolated and run-down house in America. Forced into hiding to hold the family together after their mother's death, their security is threatened by villains past and present.

More a dark fable than horror story, of real world human evil interpreted through a child's fantasy believing perception. The plot's logic sense seems consistently off, with events and behavior not quite adding up. It plays out fairly messy, until a too tidy ending clears the air and wraps all the loose ends.

The film gets major props for creative execution, stunning visuals both bright and ominous, and a childlike sense of fear and wonder. On that basis, it’s worth the viewing time. But the execution is heavy handed, tonally black and white, blatantly targeting the same age demographic as the characters with an absence of subtlety.

7. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Midsommar

midsommar-trailer-ari-aster-a24.jpeg

First time viewing. Still wrapping my head around it but thought it was pretty fantastic. I had some minor gripes but ultimately this flick is awesome.

Brightburn

Brightburn-Main.jpg

So much fun here. I fucking loved it. I'm kicking myself for not catching in the theaters. Cannot wait to watch again.

Psycho 3

mother-psychoi-iii.jpg

First time watching these sequels. I liked 2 more as far as the story goes but still had a lot of fun here. Perkins is a little off the walls here.....I liked his performance again, in the sequel, more so than in this one but solid nevertheless.

Scream 3

scream-3-movie-poster.jpg

I've watched the first 3 so far this October. This entry is definitely the weakest but I still have fun. The last act gets nutty but it's always fun spending time with these characters.

Rocker10, indrid13, hulkyduck and 3 others like this.
  8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Nah, you're crazy. Dream Home is friggin' amazing, one of my more recent favorites. It's a definite throw-back to early 90s HK Cat III films, where anything goes. I mean, you got a naked prostitute with a 3-foot plank sticking out of her mouth, still fighting. What's not to love about that??

indrid13 and hulkyduck like this.
  9. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Oct. 27th
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

70) Halloween (1978)

71) Phantasm

Rocker10, indrid13 and hulkyduck like this.
  10. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Well-Known Member

51. The Fog (1980)

4k Blu Ray. One of those films where everything just works for me , Love the setting , atmosphere and the score which builds up slowly then amped up for the climax. Good understated performances from Tom Atkins and Jamie Lee Curtis makes the films slow build up of dread the real star of the show. I watch this every year and never think i will get bored of it. 4.75/5

52. Vampires (1974) First Time Viewing.

Blu ray.I have been sitting with the Blu Undergrund blu for a good few years and never had got round to watching it. Picked up the Larraz Boxset from Arrow a few months ago so decided to open that and give this a spin.

Starts of with the murder of two women by a masked intruder in the middle of them having sex. The film picks up sometime later with a young couple on a caravan holiday passing a couple of female hitchhikers on the side of the road, the hitchhikers were the women who were murdered at the begining of the film.

Turns out the woman are a couple of Vampires who attract drivers to a nearby country house to drink their blood.

Dreamlike atmosphere with no logic to the vampires , sometimes out in the sun and other times running from it and also no fangs on display however the two women are stunning and there is plenty of blood on nudity for fans of eurohorror.

First taste of a Larraz film and although slow moving in places it builds to a bloody climax and answers the question of what happened at the begining to the women and who killed them . Overall i enjoyed this . 4/5

53. Whirlpool (1970) First Time Viewing.

The next film in the Arrow boxset was Jose Larraz's debut film , after watching Vampires i stuck this in with anticipation.

An Aunt and her nephew Lure young women to their house in the country for lurid sex games under the guise of being a photography studio and her nephew is meant to be an up and coming talented photographer , Cue the next victim after the last one disappeared mysteriously.

More soft core porn with a bit of a mystery tacked on rather than a horror film , felt like a poor giallo film that had too much nudity and not enough story. I also could not get over the fact that the nephew looked like a poor mans Elijah Wood.

Somewhat well made with a good score , however not enough story to hold my attention. 2/5

54. Symptoms (1974) First Time Viewing.

Blu ray. Another Blu i bought and left sitting on my shelf in its plastic. now the opposite happened with this , after whirlpool i had low expectations however i enjoyed this one the most out of the three Jose Larraz films i watched so far. Feet perfect for this time of the year with it's autumn setting and good old english weather.

A lady invites her writer friend to visit her in her old country mansion , cue the friend hearing hearing what she thinks is somebody else in the house and some spooky happenings and we also have the mystery of the last friend who disappeared.

Slow burn horror which has the feel of a Polanski film about it and has an excellent performance from Angela Pleasance which has a touch of the Norman Bates about her as she slowly descends into madness. 4/5

Kim Bruun, Rocker10, hots4 and 3 others like this.
  11. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/27/19

3 FROM HELL (2019)

[​IMG]

The Devil’s Rejects met their demise to the tune of Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Free Bird” in a violent highway shootout with law enforcement back in 1978. Instead of shifting gears into an alternate reality timeline, we’re told all three survived the hail of bullets.
    In what’s being called a “satanic miracle” the trio defied a million to one odds. That’s all the explanation provided as to how they didn’t die.
    Ten years of prison have not agreed with them. Captain Spaulding (Sid Haig) has fared worst of all as age and health issues have taken a toll. Otis (Bill Moseley) manages to escape with the aid of his half brother nicknamed Foxy (Richard Brake). Together they devise a plan to free Vera-Ellen (a.k.a. Baby) from prison by going after supposed weak link Warden Harper (Jeff Daniel Phillips). Most of the band is back together as they travel South of the Border. They’re incapable of staying under the radar for long. Trying to blend into a small town while a Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead holiday) celebration is underway, a group called The Black Satans look to settle a score.

Even as a fan of House of 1,000 Corpses (2003) and The Devil’s Rejects (2005), the proposal of a third film in this series was a head-scratcher. Was it even necessary? Rob Zombie really went the lazy unimaginative route in changing the ending of the prior film. In hindsight, Rob waited too long to bring back Captain Spaulding. Sid Haig was not up for it being in such poor health. His screen time is minimal and sad to watch, but Sid does his best and even gives us a little more dialogue to remember him by. Richard Brake made a strong impression in Zombie’s film 31 (2016). He’s a good choice for adding to the family with a quirky new character, but a healthy Captain Spaulding is very much missed throughout. Clint Howard was fun as a second-tier clown. Still no substitute.

Don’t get too excited by the huge cast in the credits. Many of them are just here for small cameos. The return of Danny Trejo as Rondo the bounty hunter was frustrating.
    Trejo’s tiny cameo seems to have been done in a hurry. Much smaller than Sid Haig’s cameo. How is it possible that Rondo would not remember Otis?!? Bad CGI as Otis takes him out. The Trejo encounter & escape footage is really sloppy
    Dee Wallace was great as a corrupt prison guard, very different from her usual roles. Emilio Rivera (Álvarez from Sons of Anarchy) was inspired casting as Aquarius.

The recycled concepts borrowed from The Devil’s Rejects (home invasion, hiding from the law in a whorehouse, etc.) invite some viewer complaints. More new ideas would have been welcome. The footage behind bars with Baby takes the story into some gritty “women in prison” territory. Mexico provides the best material. The shootout set to Iron Butterfly “In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida” comes to mind. Another sequel wouldn’t be surprising, not that it’s exactly needed.

Colin, Kim Bruun, Rocker10 and 2 others like this.
  12. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #32:
    Midsommar (2019)
    First time viewing (DVD)
    *** (out of 5)

Loved Hereditary, but this follow-up didn't work as well for me as a drama or as a horror film. Unfortunately it is very similar to The Wicker Man, so there wasn't much in the way of surprise in regards to plot. The biggest disappointment was that even though the film was 2 1/2 hours long, I didn't buy a lot of the character beats. There are good performances, great gore, and it's very well directed, but I felt let down by the script. Perhaps the recently released director's cut will work better for me?

[​IMG]
    Movie #33:
    The Initiation of Sarah (1978)
    First time viewing (Scream Factory DVD)
    ** (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    27. SPECIAL PRESENTATIONS: Made for TV movies from the 70's, classic era of the bronze screen.

Really annoying sorority girls get theirs from a telekinetic teen in this Carrie-esque yarn. I liked the setup of the two sisters each going in a different direction once they get to college, but I wasn't too taken with this one. Mainly checked it out cause I had the TV Terrors DVD sitting around and the story was written by Tom Holland.

[​IMG]
    Movie #34:
    Communion (1989)
    Rewatch (Hen's Tooth DVD)
    **1/2 (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    28. A LORELESS YARN: One based on a true story.

Didn't want to go with a serial killer story for this guideline, so I went with my old favorite: alien abduction. The early suspense scenes in this are so good, but Walken plays the lead so over the top that you end up watching to see what he does without ever fully becoming emotionally engaged. The cheap effects for the greys are also a distraction as they float around on wires and their faces don't have any movement.

Kim Bruun, Rocker10, indrid13 and 3 others like this.
  13. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

29. The Castle of Fu Manchu (Jess Franco, 1969)

[​IMG]

Another strange Jess Franco spin on Fu Manchu, although this time without the nudity, which you would think you could count on from a Franco movie at the very least. What Castle lacks in breasts, it makes up for in gratuitous stock footage. The opening scene is constructed in its entirety from footage of Brides of Fu Manchu (seriously...they're cribbing from their own series) and the Titanic film A Night to Remember. Which is a B&W film, so not exactly a convincing illusion. Later in the film a dam bursts, and again, it is obviously from another film. This time it was Campbell's Kingdom (I had to look that up, I'd never seen it).

It's not a great movie. This time, instead of wasting time on South American bandits, Franco abandons Fu Manchu and Nayland Smith in favor of Middle Eastern mob wars. Lee is great, although underused again. Green is a bland Smith. And Tsai Chin is as good as ever. This one was completely nonsensical, and summed up wonderfully by a quote from Harry Alan Towers to Jess Franco: "You've managed to accomplish the impossible - you've killed Fu Manchu!"

I'm glad to have watched the series. Brides and Vengeance are both wonderful. But I'm happy to be moving on, since this series definitely falls pretty flat by the end.

14. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

30. Shredder (Greg Huson, 2003)

[​IMG]

Thanks to the Dollarama DVD bin, I've finally gotten around to watching this. It's very low budget, but you can tell that they really wanted to create a classic slasher movie, and in part they are successful. The overall plot beats are very typical early 80's slasher, and it has some nice kills. But the characters are painfully obnoxious early 00's snowboarder douche bags, and the dialogue is truly terrible, so ultimately it's almost impossible to enjoy. I feel like they must have had a hell of a second unit director, though. There are some fantastically atmospheric scenes of snow falling, of clouds moving over the abandoned ski chalet, of wind-swept mountains, that are jarring in just how good they are, when juxtaposed against the awful story. I hope whoever shot those scenes was able to move on to something worthwhile, because he or she had some real talent. I'm glad I watched it for that stuff alone, although it is going straight into the "for sale" pile.

15. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Day 27 of the Scarecrow Psychotronic Challenge.
    SPECIAL PRESENTATIONS: Made for TV movies from the '70s, classic era of the bronze screen.
    Made for TV movies from the '70's always give me the warm fuzzies. So, for this challenge I went with two TV movies from the '70's.
    How Awful About Allan staring Anthony Perkins and Julie Harris. This one's got crazy siblings, an dark old house, creepy flashbacks, and tons of sinister name whispering. At 70 minutes, this thriller moves at a brisk pace and the mystery at it's center keeps you intrigued.

[​IMG]

The 2nd film, The Norliss Tapes is another creepy supernatural offering from Dan Curtis. It's a damn shame this pilot from a proposed TV show was never picked up. There's a similar feel to The Night Stalker.

16. KGBRadioMoskow

No men at center stage again this time, but not quite the same quality as before. Ratings are out of ****.

10/26/19 - All The Colors of the Dark (1972) **1/2
    A woman traumatized by a recent miscarriage seeks escape from her vivid nightmares, and the conflicting advice from family and friends leads her to a Satanic cult and a blue eyed stalker.

As the title alludes, the scenes are alluringly vivid, with contrasting backgrounds and colored lighting. The plot progresses under a cloud of gaudy, exaggerated mystery and off kilter events. None more so than the freaky 70s psychedelic coven the protagonist is ensnared by.

Although ensnared is too strong a word, as she does practically nothing useful to avoid her fate. When threatened, she runs or cowers. When given dubious advice, she follows it blindly no matter how outlandish the results. And when they go too far, she convinces herself as she participates that it’s just a dream. At no moment does she try to fight or figure out what is happening.

The resolution is neatly dropped in the protagonist's (and viewers') lap, with most of the villains neatly disposed of off screen. Again by no result of her actions other than just participating. It makes for frustrating viewing, trying keep empathy for a sheep that’s complicit in its own slaughter, while the events around her are so engagingly hypnotic.

The Other (1972) ***
    The misadventures of twin brothers at their country home are intruded on by a series of family tragedies with an unthinkable culprit.

One of the classic child gone bad films, with the now familiar twists and sinister ending.

This one gave me a moment of deja-vu, as shock look cast member Bob Melvin, aka "The Man With Two Faces", had also been in my earlier viewing of The Sentinel. Ah, the 70s, when we were non-PC enough to put freaks on screen for shock value yet twist the scenes enough to make us reflect maybe we're the freaks for not thinking of them as human. Wonder if we'd have been blessed with the frequent and legendary presence of Michael Berryman with today's intolerance.

10/27/19 - The Slayer (1982) **1/2
    Two couples visit a lonely island retreat to relax and get slaughtered.

The film fixates on the relentlessly depressed lead, who claims to have dreamed of the killer since childhood. And for most of the film doesn't do much but brood as the others get knocked off.

The festivities start with a stranger on the supposedly deserted island, whose sole reason for existing is to get nailed before cutting into the main cast. Likewise another character shows up at the end just to get shanked and torched by the panicked lead, a particularly nasty example of "wrong time to drop by, pal!" bad guy bait and switch.

What the film has going for it is moody atmosphere and suitably spooky locations leading to a couple memorably creative kills.

Things wrap with an ambiguous, inexplicable ending. Was it all a dream? As a child, or an adult? Was there a creature, or was she nuts? Was she the killer? Welcome to the Moebius strip of film pretention where you're not going to find out, but you might enjoy the ride anyway.

Julia's Eyes (2010) *1/2
    Investigating her blind sister's apparent suicide gives a sight challenged woman suspicion of foul play.

This overly long film plays like a soap opera, with ridiculous plot twists and turns and loops back to tie things all together. If the Lifetime channel made a horror film, checking a list of stereotype female audience drama boxes along with way, this would be it. Only thing missing would be doling it out in 30 minute segments, one per week.

The pre-film credits have an absurd six distributors and/or studios claiming involvement in laying this cinematic turd. It should have been a warning, my usual experience is the quality of a film is inversely proportional to the number of organizations that put their label on it.

A solid start, good settings and atmosphere, competent acting, and a few notable scenes keep it from being a complete waste. But I'd rather have my time and money back.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  17. KGBRadioMoskow

Declaring this to be the quote of the day.

hulkyduck, dave13 and indrid13 like this.
  18. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

31. Parasite 3D (Charles Band, 1982)

[​IMG]

I am so glad I waited to see this in 3D, because as a movie - it stinks. But as a 3D experience, it's pretty phenomenal. Things dangle in front of the audience. Hands, pipes, and guns all pop from the screen and it's incredibly fun to watch. Aside from some atmospheric (although unexplained) scenes at the beginning with the lead in a landscape of red fog, the rest of the movie is fairly bland. Generic post-apocalyptic junk. Demi Moore farms some lemons. Dude carries around a thermos and looks suspicious. Punks threaten local adults. It's pretty bad. But the 3D really makes it worth it.

19. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

32. Coraline 3D (Henry Selick, 2009)

[​IMG]

Another one to watch with my daughter. She was 5 when she first watched this (I watched it with her then too, having never seen it before and not knowing anything about it - we were both very surprised by how dark it got, and she was a little freaked out). She's 7 now, and it's become one of those movies that simultaneously creeps her out and fascinates her. She really wanted to watch it again, so this was what we went with. It's really great. Great animation, great score, great atmosphere, and the story is really fun and dark and really dangerous for a kids movie. The 3D isn't as dramatic as in Parasite, but it still adds a bit of depth to the whole thing. And especially scenes like the spider web and the tunnel between worlds work really well in 3D.

20. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 28

122. Howling II (1985) Blu - Different feel from the first movie. Not sure I dig this one all that much, but haven't seen it in awhile so I gave it another watch. Gotta love Sybil Danning in the end credits on this one.

123. Howling III (1987) Blu - What an oddball film. Not sure I care for the whole marsupial angle of this one. I think I will stick with the get chewed on by a werewolf to become a werewolf.

124. The Ambulance (1990) Blu - Saw this one for the first time last year and had a blast with it. Eric Roberts gave a great performance. Enjoyed it as much this time. Has become a favorite of mine.

125. The Video Dead (1987) Blu - This was the 2 movie set from Scream Factory. Low budget stuff here. Bad acting, effects, etc. I guess it works for what it was.

126. TerrorVision (1986) Blu - The other movie from that set. Liked this one a little better. Some randomness in this one gives some good humor.

~Rocker10