The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2019!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 25, 2019.

1. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I hope everyone had a great Halloween.

It's been great taking part in this movie marathon again this year, unfortunately I didn't get in as many titles as I would like due to me travelling for about half the month.

But I did get a few in, it's been great reading about all the diverse titles people have been viewing and as always, I've made a note of a few to seek out over the coming weeks.

Till next year, stay spooky!!!!!!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    Rocker10, indrid13, hulkyduck and 3 others like this.
  2. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

Reviews of the last movies that I watched during the month. I finished up with Halloween 2018 tonight. So it was an ok month. I missed watching 2 or 3 movies on my list. And didn't finish Castlevania Order of Ecclesia yet. But I've figured out a plan for next year to do better. Starting times to watch movies. Drinks that I've settled on. And other stuff.

Hell Fest -

hell fest.jpg

Hell Fest is a more serious movie compared to Blood Fest. Both are about crazy stuff happening at a horror fests though. But Blood Fest is a lot more comedy.

I like the idea of the fest. I haven't been to a Halloween fest type thing in a long time and a modern one does seem like a fun idea. Although I remember stories of people getting punched in haunted houses for attempting to go too far with scares. But like Blood Fest, Hell Fest is setup to be cool with all these horror themed areas to check out during the night.

This movie made me remember an old small theme park I went to when I was young. It was that mini car in the tunnel scene. The park I went to had a mini car that would go around the park area. I remember dragons, up and down hills, and going though doors into small dark tunnels. The park wasn't that big. Perhaps half a block or so but I was young and size is relative at that age and it was just as cool as a Six Flags even if smaller. I can't remember if this was a temporary thing or permanent. But it was one of those cool things I remember going to when I was a kid.

Anyway, I was kind of looking forward to this movie because one of the actresses from the second or third season of the Channel Zero TV show is the lead in Hell Fest. She does a good job playing a different character than her Channel Zero one. Also when I saw Tony Todd's name in the opening credits I thought this might be a good one. Tony Todd is always cool to see in just about any horror movie and he's funny when he shows up in Hell Fest.

Overall, Hell Fest is an ok movie. I think it would be better if more was going on. I felt that the killer was kind of like Jason when he shows up at the park. But he's not. And even though the scares are pretty freaky it's just focused so it could be a lot crazier but with a serious tone unlike Blood Fest.

Another problem is Hell Fest is one of those horror movies where they think that the villain is the hero. I hated the ending. I noticed this villain hero horror trend in an Australian outback horror movie where the killer walks off into the sunset. I don't like movies like that because the killer should never be the hero because the kids are so annoying that you want them to get killed. Especially in Hell Fest where the kids aren't that annoying at all. And the girls are kind of on the line between having fun and being just out for sex. Besides they are for the most part with their boyfriends anyway.

So what the killer does to the lead actress in Hell Fest later in the movie was when it went too far for me. For the most part I'm against violence against women. And there are a good number of horror movies where it just goes too far for me. It's usually torture or a level of sustained violence. And when it happened to her in the movie, I just kind of checked out and knew this wouldn't be a movie I would watch again. Nor would I be interested in a possible sequel. But I guess it is ok to check out once just for the Halloween park setting.

The Beyond -

the beyond ken taylor mondo poster.jpeg

the beyond statue.png

This is one of those movies that don't match what I expected. I expected that I would want this poster and statue from The Beyond. But after seeing the movie, I don't need these. I probably will get the soundtrack though as it's pretty good.

I do like the whole setup and feel of the movie. But in the end, it doesn't make much sense. Or at least Silent Hill, a movie watched a bit of this October, which I think many dislike, does a better or clearer job with a similar ending.

I haven't seen many Italian horror movies. But I want to see more. There are tons on my list. I think I've only seen three that I remember right now. The Beyond. Suspiria, which is great and I have a poster for it. I started a topic on the forum here about it. And Inferno. Which is also great and I wish there was a poster for that movie.

There are some really messed up death scenes in The Beyond. In fact the majority of them are horrific. I think there is a spy movie where the killer or cleaner I think he is called, uses a chemical to disolve a person. But it's off screen a implied. In The Beyond, twice there are scenes where they actually show chemicals effect on the human body. It's a rough movie. I do wonder why horror fans like it so much though. I thought the character of Emily would be different going by the poster and all the images of her. I guess I just expected a far better movie. Or one that made more sense.

Halloween 2018 -

halloween 2018.jpg

The big one. Going in I didn't see the trailer or anything from the movie. My hope was just that the movie would be good. I knew it wouldn't be better than the original Halloween. Few movies are. And the original Halloween scared the crap out of me as a kid. Plus, I do believe that the way to continue the Halloween property as a whole is similar to Halloween 3, with different stories around the Halloween month or day. Not solely focused on Myers. Also, I do kind of like Halloween H20. But I'm not crazy about Halloween 2. I just like some scenes in that one.

When Halloween 2018 started, I was kind of worried as we seemed to be getting the humanized Myers again. And then a bunch of homage scenes. You can play a drinking game with spot the scenes from other Halloween movies. Some of which were ok, like the drinking scene with Laurie which was similar to the one in Halloween H20. But I don't know why directors do homage scenes or almost full homage movies. It's one thing with something like the Star Wars prequels, which aren't good, but those are myth movies. And people hated Doomsday but that is a fun movie with stuff from all kinds of movies that inspired it. But the full homage movie based on the better origin movie is lazy to me.

Still, as a true sequel to the original Halloween, Halloween 2018 is ok. It feels like a true sequel more than Halloween 2. It's far better than the two crappy Rob Zombie remakes. Jamie Lee Curtis is awesome as usual. But I don't think I've ever seen her in a bad movie. I did like that the masks from Halloween 3 were in Halloween 2018 if you were paying attention. Yet right now, I'm not sure I want to own Halloween 2018. I like that actress who plays Vicky the babysitter but she is kind of a homage character. And going from the ending, I'm not jumping to see a sequel as I will always believe that new Halloween stories would be better than another two focused around what they seem to be teasing at the end of Halloween 2018.

Maybe the next two will surprise me though and it will be a good trilogy of movies. We'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  3. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Active Member

I love ONE DARK NIGHT the Code Red Blu is awesome BTW, How did you watch Funeral Home? I see its on Youtube I would like to revisit it, may be on Cinemageddon.

indrid13 and hulkyduck like this.
  4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Man, I was lame this year. Watched Creepshow, Threads, Goke Body Snatcher from Hell, a few episodes of Shudder's Creepshow, American Horror Story, and the Joe Bob Halloween Hootenany. That's pretty much it. I was kinda busy, plus as someone mentioned it's been nearly 100 in California most of this month. Not exactly stay-in-and-watch-movies weather. I'll also admit, that viewing of Threads really affected me, enough that I wasn't much in the mood for more darkness.

But we're finally starting to get to cooler weather, and with the clocks changing this weekend, it'll be already dark by the time I get home. So I'll just watch horror in November and December. January too, probably. Then February, of course...

Rocker10, indrid13, hots4 and 2 others like this.
  5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

If you want movies that "make sense", Lucio Fulci is NOT your go-to director.

I like The Beyond, but I do feel it's slightly overrated. Fulci was a hack and easily compromised. The Beyond is proof of that, as the zombie attack at the end was specifically requested by the German distributor. That's why it doesn't really fit in with the rest of the film. Fulci would do whatever he was paid to do.

indrid13, othervoice1, hots4 and 2 others like this.
  6. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Oct. 31st
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

80) Pieces

81) The Beyond

82) Scream

83) Session 9

84) Psycho (1960)

Rocker10, indrid13, hots4 and 2 others like this.
  7. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Halloween Day. Only worked for a couple hours, really enjoyed the day. Lot of trick or treaters this year! Was very happy to see that. Scared the shit out of a couple of them. Good times. It was also cold and clear, high 40s-50s....Perfect.

Started at midnight with the original Halloween on blu. I've watched this every Halloween for as long as my memory goes back.

Halloween

Halloween-Michael-Myers.jpg

Halloween 2018

halloween-2018-opening-credits.png

Hocus Pocus

24xp-hocuspocus-articleLarge.jpg

Idle Hands

idle-hands-3.jpg

Halloweentown

0-Hr_halloweentown_2_pic_5-resize.jpg.optimal.jpg

Trick r Treat

trick-r-treat-sam-700x500.jpg

Haunt

haunt-trailer.png

Also caught a couple Treehouse of Horror Simpson episodes which can be a lot of fun.

Rocker10, hulkyduck, indrid13 and 5 others like this.
  8. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

40. Wishmaster 2: Evil Never Dies (Jack Sholder, 1999)

[​IMG]

This isn't great, but it really benefits from Andrew Divoff's return - the lack of which kind of sinks the remaining two sequels, if I remember correctly. The lead girl is certainly a unique choice, in that she's a murdering thief that we are supposed to completely sympathize with. It all eventually makes sense, but it's kind of hard to care too much for her throughout the film. Some of the acting is great (Divoff, Tiny Lister as the prison guard, Oleg Vidov as Osip, the Russian mobster) and some is pretty 90's-direct-to-video (the girl playing Morgana and her ex-boyfriend/current-priest Gregory), but it ends up being a cheesy bit of fun. Although the scenes towards the end where she renounces her sinful life and "purifies" herself by removing her braids, piercings, and makeup, and changing from cargo pants and tank-tops to a sundress and shawl kind of rubbed me the wrong way. I'm not sure what the message there was, but it was some pretty lazy screenwriting.

41. Alfred Hitchcock Presents S02E17: My Brother, Richard (Herschel Daugherty, 1957)

[​IMG]

The brother of a DA running for Governor bumps off the main competition, and is perplexed when it's not well received. Another fun episode that fits perfectly in the 25-minute run-time of the show. The titular Richard is pretty loopy, honestly expecting his straight-arrow brother to be grateful that he's committed murder to secure his nomination. But the DA hero is also kind of nuts, putting in place a completely nonsensical plot to expose his brother that is eventually just abandoned in favor of a deus ex machina resolution.

42. The Dead Pit (Brett Leonard, 1989)

[​IMG]

Heavy on atmosphere and light on story, I really enjoyed revisiting this one. Cheryl Lawson isn't a great actor, but she always seems to be trying her absolute best, and and because of that she ends up being pretty likable. She also spends almost the entire movie dressed like she is in the poster, which makes no sense, but who cares? There's not a lot of mystery, not a lot of explanation, and it cribs a lot from the Nightmare on Elm Street series (particularly Dream Warriors) in terms of it's visual style, but it's still really entertaining.

43. Death Ship (Alvin Rakoff, 1980)

[​IMG]

I'd wanted to revisit this (and Dead Pit) last October, but hadn't gotten to them, so I made a point of fitting them in towards the end of my marathon this year. I'm glad I did. Just like Dead Pit, this one has a lot to recommend it, despite it's story limitations. Once again there isn't much explanation, but the ship is so freakin' cool, and filmed in such an atmospheric and menacing manner, that it just makes the film fascinating to watch. Richard Crenna and George Kennedy add a certain pedigree that the film probably has no right to have. And I think some really good choices were made in either the construction of the script or the editing of the film, which allowed them to make the most out of what was obviously a pretty limited budget. For example, I thought it was interesting that the film cuts right from the ship collision at the beginning to the group of survivors on the raft, with no explanation of how that random group who were nowhere near each other when the collision happened ended up together. Most of the film is all about the atmosphere and building tension, but once things start going crazy, there are some great, nasty moments.

9. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

31st - October Madness No.37 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 31 - THE GOLD WATCH: One set in a retirement home or elderly community A fitting wrap-up, eh?

[​IMG]
    Bubba Ho-Tep (2002) Rewatch - Rating: 2/5

I hadn't revisited Don Coscarelli's Bubba Ho-Tep, based on the Joe R. Lansdale short story, since it hit home video but boy oh boy did this one not age as well as I remembered liking it... The film slogs along and I found that there's way too much back story - and narration - with Elvis' is-he-or-isn't-he sub-plot which gives very little time to the titular figure and menacing horror of an undead mummy sucking the souls of a retirement community's patrons. And when Bruce Campbell's Elvis does finally team up with Ossie Davis' J.F.K., the final battle seemed very rushed and anti-climatic. It's quite poorly paced, features a now-dated nu-metal-themed score, and just didn't have the interesting energy I remembered it having when I saw it on it's limited theatrical run... Bummer, man!

31st - October Madness No.38

[​IMG]
    Ernest Scared Stupid (1991) Rewatch - Rating: 5/5

It's just not Halloween without Ernest Scared Stupid! I remember fondly going to this in the theatre as a kid and it creeping me out and just absolutely loving the heck out of it, and even today those Chiodo Bros. trolls (which a bunch bare striking resemblance to - if they aren't flat out repurposed - Killer Klowns from Outer Space) are still expertly realized and monstrous. Funny, action-packed, well paced, and a genuine good time filled to the brim with childish heart and some genuinely gooey and scary horror elements for a kids movie, Ernest Scare Stupid is a true Halloween masterpiece and perfect night-of watch.

That wraps it up, completing the Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge and another Halloween in the books! HAPPY BELATED HALLOWEEN, GHOULS AND GOBLINS!

Rocker10, hulkyduck, indrid13 and 4 others like this.
  10. Dave

Dave Pimp

Saw Halloween 2018 and Halloween III at a small theater in Harvard Square last night. Tons of fun.

11. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

It's on Amazon Prime.

hulkyduck and indrid13 like this.
  12. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

October 28th: The Prey (US theatrical cut)

prey.png

For a movie with some obvious technical flaws, I can't help but love The Prey. And technical flaws there are: In one scene, a corpse (in pretty good makeup) appears to be breathing; in another, the killer's damaged eye is suddenly the left rather than the right. But the disfigured killer himself looks gnarly (though I don't get why his fingers are so fat - burns tend to lead to a loss of tissue rather than an addition of it), the cast is generally likable, there's an awesome throat ripping, and the locations are beautiful. Whether one looks at the inserted wildlife footage as padding or a stylish touch will probably affect one's enjoyment of the film. It worked for me. The Prey also scores points for breaking stereotypes. In times past, gypsies may have had a bit of a reputation of taking things which didn't belong to them. It's possible that said reputation was occasionally undeserved, but the stigma was there. Well, the bad guy in this movie is a gypsy, and he doesn't steal from anyone - at least not without killing them first. Of course, I haven't watched the international cut with the gypsy flashback sequence... :p

Edit: Hope I didn’t offend anyone. I certainly didn’t mean to make light of the social issues often faced by the Roma minority here in Europe. I merely found it amusing that a movie from a less politically correct time completely ignores the most obvious stereotype.

October 31st: The Hills Have Eyes Part II

hills.png

Even if the remake upstaged it in terms of gore and grotesqueries, Wes Craven's The Hills Have Eyes stands as a true classic of the genre. Craven's own sequel, however, always had an unfortunate reputation - a reputation which had put me off until Arrow released a lavish Blu-ray set. One point of criticism was always the flashbacks. For me, the main problem with the flashbacks is that they put the movie into context with a better one. Then there's the return of Beast. This movie takes place 8 years after the first one, a span which would put Beast well into old age, and there he is, saving normals from mutants like he was in the prime of his life. There's also a bit of laughable exposition when Pluto mentions the Reaper to Ruby, she says something the effect of: "The Reaper? You mean Papa Jupe's older brother?" - yeah right, where was this guy in the first one? Part II isn't all bad. It's got great locations (above ground and below). I would have liked to have seen a third mutant. I would have liked the blindness angle to be more developed. All in all, I found Part II modestly enjoyable, but had Craven had the budget and the inclination, it could have been a whole lot better. Still, not a bad way to end October, 2019.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  13. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

German Shepherds in regards to wasting mutants is like rednecks with big chins in regards to wasting possessed corpses. No matter how old they get, they'll still kick ass at it.

14. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Day 31 of the Scarecrow Psychotronic Challenge.
    THE GOLD WATCH: One set in a retirement home or elderly community.
    Bubba Ho-Tep. Wasn't sure how many films I could get in on the last day. So this felt like a good way to go out. While the film has a couple slow spots, I think Bruce carries it with his natural charm. Still love this one quite a bit.

[​IMG]

As it was, I did sneak in a bonus film last night. Time Walker. Keeping with the mummy theme. This is one of those childhood guilty pleasures.
    All in all it was a good October. Watched some good movies and a lot of schlock. Hope everybody had a good holiday! Till next year.

Rocker10, hulkyduck, Colin and 6 others like this.
  15. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

Triangle is a great sleeper movie. I thought I reviewed it somewhere here or on the horror.com/forum. I still want to find one of those posters when they are running around the corridors of the ship. Without spoiling too much I thought it was a good Twilight Zone type movie.

I guess The Beyond was hyped up too much for me. It's good to know what to expect from other Fulci movies. I want to see the other two in this trilogy. I guess Emily and the dog are just iconic from that scene in the movie. It was misleading though. At least it was for me because I thought she would be a hero type character. That running out of the house scene was cool though. But there are a bunch of movies that end at similar places and you can look back and see the answer. It starts off well but that zombie attack scene and empty city is where the movie loses it. To some extent the library scene as well. But if someone could rework some of those later parts, I bet the movie would be a lot better and work with the ending.

Rocker10, indrid13 and hulkyduck like this.
  16. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'll give you a more detailed write-up of what I think of Lucio Fulci later (the good and the bad; I'm neither a hater, nor a slavish devotee), but he was definitely able to be swayed by what was trending in cinema. Take Zombie for example, which I'm sure he was inspired to make due to the success of Romero's Dawn of the Dead (hell, it Italy it was TITLED Zombi 2 to make it look like a direct sequel to Dawn. Dawn was called Zombi in Italy, by the way. Still with me?), yet Jaws was still a popular movie at the time. The result? Zombie vs. Shark scene.

ImmortalSlasher and indrid13 like this.
  17. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

The only thing missing was for that zombie to jump that shark.

X-human likes this.
  18. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

44. Tales of Halloween (Neil Marshall, Darren Lynn Bousman, Axelle Carolyn, Lucky McKeen, Andrew Kasch, Paul Solet, John Skipp, Adam Gierasch, Jace Anderson, Mike Mendez, Ryan Schifrin, and Dave Parker, 2015)

[​IMG]

We had a great time on Halloween, despite the fact that it rained. Again. I think that's the third year in a row. My daughter was Wednesday Addams for school, but opted for Little Red Riding Hood for trick 'r treating, since she was a little tired of the wig, and was able to wear a cloak.

I ended my October horror watching with a rewatch of Tales of Halloween. It's still not perfect - some of the stories are a little underwhelming. But, knowing what to expect, I found I enjoyed it a lot more this time. It certainly hits the Halloween theme on the head, and there are so many stories that what one is missing in depth or tone is made up for by the next, and so on and so on, so it ends up being fairly satisfying by the end of it.

The same could be said of the movies and shows I watched this season - they weren't all gems, but put together they made for a pretty awesome month! Happy Halloween, everybody. It's been a lot of fun reading all the posts, just like every year.

ImmortalSlasher, Colin, hots4 and 3 others like this.
  19. Jamie

Jamie Member

On Halloween I watched the Chuck Connors Noir 'Walk The Dark Street'. Thought it was pretty good. I also re-watched Dawn Of The Mummy last week. I love that movie. Would be cool if someone put it out on Blu Ray.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks to you guys who posted write ups. I always enjoy reading this thread every year and hearing about what everyone has watched.

20. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Definitely a lot of fun. I think I found a new movie from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, and new that I never caught before, now own, and psyched I finally saw. That's always the goal every October.

Rocker10, fattyjoe37 and hots4 like this.