The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2019!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 25, 2019.

1. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Well-Known Member

First time watching these films , found them a lot of fun , sadly missing from a lot of modern films. Any recommendations after these for a gore newbie.

indrid13 likes this.
  2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Sure they're fun, but I eventually need quality in my entertainment. Good story, good acting, good writing. Not "Well Frank, it looks like it's gonna be another one of those long, hard ones"

Actually, that's pretty funny. Nevermind.

hulkyduck and indrid13 like this.
  3. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

If you're looking for more old school gore films, have you ever seen I Drink Your Blood? I can't personally vouch for the 88 Films UK disc, but I do have the Grindhouse Releasing Blu-ray. It's a great package!

[​IMG]

hulkyduck, Colin and indrid13 like this.
  4. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Like "more bacon", a statement that can be applied just about any time, any where.

5. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Just about caught up with the write-ups. Ratings are out of ****.

10/10/19 - The Body (2012) **1/2
    A man murders his rich bitch-queen wife, only to have his plans for a clean getaway unravel when her corpse vanishes from the morgue.

The solid acting and cinematography can't save an anemic script. The main sin being the characters are ultimately impotent witnesses to what occurs, leaving all that matters for the viewer is what happens to them and not what they do.

Outside of perpetually stupid behavior that leads cops to clues of his guilt, the murderer exists solely to have an unseen vengeful entity pile shit on him for nearly 2 hours. None of his actions make a damn difference, he's doomed and it’s just an issue of watching it unfold.

The lead detective's actions seemingly have equal irrelevance, much of his time occupied by vague flashbacks to a tragedy without discernable connection to the case at hand.

In the end a tidy little twist wraps up every last string into an amusing but contrived bow.

The film isn't a total waste by any means, but there are far better "it all makes sense in the end" films. Memento. Moon. Frailty. The list is legion. Just walk into this one expecting far less.

10/11/19 - God Told Me To (1976) **1/2
    A sniper goes on a mass shooting spree in New York, making a simple and shocking confession before leaping to his death. An epidemic of similar killings follow, leaving a religiously repressed detective questioning his purpose and faith.

Fast paced and directly progressing, in the usual no nonsense style of a Cohen production. The opening acts are riveting crime drama, with solid writing and a stand out performance by lead Tony Lo Bianco (and a trivia worthy appearance by Andy Kaufman as a cop with a purpose). And had the film developed as a psychological or even supernatural thriller it probably would have made for a better picture.

Instead the film takes a hard left to secret society conspiracies and alien influence, ending in a bizarre confrontation with an alien infiltrator and some perverted body horror.

The weirdness would make for recommended viewing. The solid drama (reminding me a lot of the criminally underrated Targets) likewise. The boggling mesh of the two? I have to still give it the stamp of approval, just with some hesitation.

10/12/19 - Your Vice Is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key (1972) ***
    A washed up writer who takes his frustrations out on those around him, especially his long suffering wife, finds his plight worsen as they get slaughtered one after another.

A sordid little tale with ample suspicious characters and frequent familial tie ignoring debauchery. Screeching dolls, screeching cats, screeching women, screeching tires. Artistic imagery before, during, and after the twisted and energetic kills. Just what you expect from the genre.

With people engaging in the bad behavior of a literary classic, it’s fitting the ending is ripped from the pages of Poe. The perfect date movie, for that special someone you want to know if they're a keeper or not.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  6. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 14

Two weeks in already!

60. Manhattan Baby (1982) Blu - More good work from Blue Underground. I've seen this before, but it seemed a bit slow and tame for Fulci. The story revolves around an Egyptian theme and a relic or piece of jewelry tied to the supernatural. It's a decent movie and looks quite good in this 3 disc set. Oh, and it has that annoying kid from The Beyond in it.

61. The Burning (1981) Blu - It was time to revisit this movie. Don't remember checking it out anytime too recent. With the setting being at a camp, you get the familiar feel of other movies like Friday the 13th or maybe even Sleepaway Camp. Not a bad film overall.

62. Paranormal Activity (2007) Blu - Another movie that I had not revisited in quite some time. I liked this one. I felt there was some good creepy moments. The intensity builds due to your own imagination for the most part. The scenes focus on an area and it had been long enough that I knew something was going to happen, just didn't remember what. It made for a good viewing.

63. Paranormal Activity 2 (2010) Blu - Decided to roll right into this one next. Felt that there were lot's of similarities and it didn't work quite as well for me. Felt myself getting bored with it about half way through. Definitely a bit of a drop off from the first movie. I'll probably continue to roll through the rest of the series as I don't think I have seen the last two yet.

~Rocker10

7. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    10/15 Attempted to watch Blu of THE DORM THAT DRIPPED BLOOD but it wouldn't load. I plan to pair it with TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT later on.
    Instead, I saw the DVD of THE UNSEEN and watched that since I loved Babs Bach in SCREAMERS. I like UNSEEN more than when I first saw it in '82 on Showtime. I was unimpressed
    and un-scared by Unseen. Seeing it through adult eyes, it's well made and most of the actors are terrific. I'm not much on sympathetic monsters (because they lose their scare factor

for me) so I enjoy the first 3/4 of the movie and just leave it at that. The domestic drama of the brother/sister story is tragic but...I want to be scared and this film doesn't do that for me.
    THAT SAID - I'll watch it whenever I'll feel like it because it's well shot and I absolutely LOVE THAT HOUSE! Plus I'm a fan of Mrs. Ringo Starr and Doug Barr.

Then, on MGM HD I saw that TINTORERA was on and watched it. I've always HATED this movie. I remember staying up super late to see it on Showtime because it was about a killer shark. It failed to deliver for me, back then. I decided to give it another go and, although I'll never seek to watch it again, the setting is beautiful. I've always liked Susan George and Fiona Lewis is in it, too. Hugo Stiglitz in a speedo - I never thought I'd see the day! The other actor is a handsome fella who, at first glance, I mistook for Jamie Gillis. This was a total time-waster but Mexico is beautifully shot.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    Rocker10, hulkyduck and indrid13 like this.
  8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

God damn. It's been two days since I saw Threads, and I'm still rattled by it, and not sleeping well. I'm not sure if any other movie has had that kind of effect on me, as I'm pretty thick-skinned.

9. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Oct. 14th
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

34) The Evil: A doctor buys a Civil War era mansion that happens to be infested with paranormal activity. I was taken off guard by this one, because it packs quite the punch. For a 70’s supernatural thriller it’s fast paced and action virtually from the start. It does have some bad special effects, but the entertainment value outshines it. My only grip would have to be the lame ending
    the lead actor ends up in some sort of ghost dimension, and has a confrontation with a Santa Claus bearded, demonic entity that is sitting on a stone throne, wearing an all-white suit.
    . But I still enjoyed what it was. (6/10)

35) The Slayer: An artist vacationing on a remote island with friend’s beings to have premonitions of a looming threat. A tale of interesting premise/bad execution because the first hour of this is a real snore. “The Slayer” plays out like a less interesting version of “Friday the 13th” with a supernatural twist. It’s not until the 3rd act when things picked up and began to hold my interest. The demon thing at the end of the film is pretty cool looking, but it is apparent that it’s some sort of animatronic. It’s not the worst thing ever, but I can’t recommend it. (5/10)

10. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Completely agree. I think I read that it was released some places with that final sequence removed and I think it would've made for a stronger film.

Colin, hulkyduck and indrid13 like this.
  11. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that movie. I've seen my share of disturbing films, Threads though...sticks with you. Don't think I'd ever watch it again.

hulkyduck likes this.
  12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

The worst part is that I DO want to see it again, as I feel there were things I missed. Like late in the movie, I didn't understand a lot of the dialogue, which I first attributed to just not being able to cut through the British accents, but as it went on I realized it was because the language was devolving. And the low-budget nature of it meant a lot of stock footage and unrealistic effects, but it turned out to be some of the other things that stick with you, like the
    eating the raw irradiated sheep, Ruth giving birth solo and chewing through the umbilical cord, and the "food vendor" with a bucket of dead rats

hulkyduck and indrid13 like this.
  13. indrid13

The food vendor, oh man yeah. The language I didn't pick up on a first myself. Then I thought about that tape they were using for the kids. That whole idea was a nice touch.

hulkyduck likes this.
  14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Fuck. You're right. The tape had speed problems, and now that I think back, the bastardized version of English they were beginning to use incorporated that style. Dammit, do NOT make me see this again.

indrid13 and hulkyduck like this.
  15. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #15:
    The Neanderthal Man (1953)
    First time viewing (Scream Factory Blu-ray)
    ** (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    14. S.T.D. MADNESS!: No, not syphilitic symptoms! Science, Transformation & Dabbling; a cracked scientist's creative palette.

Watched The Beast of Hollow Mountain for the challenge last year, so this guideline gave me a reason to watch the other half of that Scream Factory double feature. Neither movie ended up being that great, but Neanderthal Man has a nice atmospheric scene of a man seeing a saber-toothed tiger on a foggy back road.

[​IMG]
    Movie #16:
    Brain Damage (1988)
    Rewatch (Arrow Blu-ray)
    **** (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    15. PICK YOUR POISON: One with some drugs in it. Turn on, tune in...and freak out!

My favorite Henenlotter film and a great anti-drug metaphor.

16. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Discs that fail give me nightmares. I like to think of my collection as a sort of horror archive. Is there any bronzing on it or other weird discolorations? I have this release as well and treasure it. Now I feel I need to check if my disc works.

indrid13 and hulkyduck like this.
  17. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/14/19

THE HILLS HAVE EYES (1977)

[​IMG]

Hailing from the suburbs of Cleveland, The Carters embark on a vacation to Los Angeles. The parents are celebrating their 25th wedding anniversary and determined to find a silver mine in the raw desert of Nevada. This requires rough road travel through an Air Force testing range. They have a major accident with no nearby towns or facilities. Not the family reunion they hoped for, three generations of Carters are forced to camp in a station wagon and trailer. Little does anyone know they are being stalked by feral savages who target oblivious travelers. Fighting for survival in this unforgiving environment will not be easy.

As someone who lives in the Southwest and loves to take road trips, I consider The Hills Have Eyes a rather credible premise for a horror film. That doesn’t mean I knowingly vacation in cannibal territory. At the beginning of Wes Craven’s film, there is a stop at the lonely run-down gas station claiming to be your last chance for over 100 miles. We’ve done enough road trips to know this is not an exaggeration in many desert regions. John Steadman was wisely cast as the owner of the gas station. The grizzled actor does more than provide the cliched warnings of exploring off the beaten path. He brings Old West realism and some tragic backstory we learn a little bit later. The 1977 film establishes the harshness of the Mojave: weather extremes (both hot and cold), stranded in desolation, and dangerous critters found there. A family of cannibals also calling this place home really elevates the horror. There’s nothing stylized about the villains. Papa Jupiter (James Whitworth) is a fearsome patriarch with some equally nasty offspring, like Pluto (Michael Berryman) and Mars (Lance Gordon). The closest they come to civilized is rattlesnake handling daughter Ruby (Janus Blythe), still not a girl you want to introduce to your Mom. Fighting for their lives, The Carters really turn it up against these predators. You might be reminded a bit of Marilyn Burns fighting to save her own ass in The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974). Robert Burns was the art director on both films and deserves credit for bringing these human monsters to life on the screen.

Along with Craven’s unofficial sequel Mind Ripper (1995), I have also seen the Alexandre Aja 2006 remake just once. Never bothered with that direct sequel. For me personally, the original is the one to revisit. That said, I finally managed to watch The Hills Have Eyes Part 2 (1984). Read all about it below.

THE HILLS HAVE EYES PART 2 (1984)

[​IMG]

Bobby Carter (Robert Houston) recalls the events which took the lives of family members during a session with his psychiatrist. Seven years later he is now the co-owner of a motocross business along with Rachel (Janus Blythe). Their team is to compete in a desert race very near where the tragedy took place. Bobby is going to stay home, however Rachel is up for it. After all, she is in fact Ruby – a former member of the cannibal clan with planetary names. Family dog and defender of the cause Beast joins them, still a badass German Shepherd. The group is aware of the past history where they are travelling, but don’t know just yet that Rachel was part of it & what side she was on. A team loudmouth convinces them to take a shortcut through the bombing range. A predictable outcome finds them all stranded. At least they have some motorcycles on which to explore all the great rock formations.

The Hills Have Eyes Part 2 is a sequel I avoided mostly based on reputation. Arrow Video twisted my arm really hard with this new fancy limited edition package that serves as such a nice-looking companion piece to their treatment of the first movie. Watching the bonus documentary, it’s clear that Wes Craven really needed the money at the time and why this was made. The original film had a simple yet effective premise that played on the anxieties of vacationing and getting there safely. This sequel concept is less lucky. How we get another group of victims to this killing zone feels contrived in comparison. The lack of experience from much of the cast doesn’t help either or the fact that so many of the characters happen to be assholes. Rachel/Ruby is an exception. How she left her past life behind for civilization still rings hollow. Much as he is welcome in horror cinema, how is Michael Berryman back as Pluto?
    you would think Beast ripping his throat out back in '77 was final.
    Berryman is joined by John Bloom as Reaper, a written-in brother of Papa Jupiter never mentioned before. Over seven feet tall, Bloom often played monsters in films such as The Dark (1979), Dracula VS Frankenstein (1971), and The Incredible Two-Headed Transplant (1971). The script plays out as overly busy in some ways with all of the motorcycles, the racing destination, and a blind character among them. This does allow for lots of action scenes and stunt work with the bikes. Hard to buy this though as the same setting from the original. Shooting for part two was done around the Joshua Tree National Park. Visually pleasing as it is, it just lacks the primal feeling and danger of the raw desert we saw last time. By the way, why didn’t they use the motorcycles to get help this time? The Carters didn’t have any such luxuries, including the shelter of an old mining ranch.

The Hills Have Eyes is a gritty realistic survival horror film classic from Wes Craven that gets the blood pumping. The Hills Have Eyes Part 2 is the forced cash grab attempt in which we must survive recycled footage flashbacks. Less special, it plays out like a desert themed slasher film. Arrow Video has given considerable love to each limited release. Perhaps more love than the second one deserved?

Colin, hulkyduck, Kim Bruun and 4 others like this.
  18. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Tonight's viewing:

Harpoon (2019)

From the Dread Cental stable and billed as a comedy horror, I knew knowing nothing about this, then I found out arrow are releasing it in the UK which perked my interest.

The story revolves around a fight, a making up, then a revelation which leaves 3 people stranded on a boat in the middle of the ocean fighting to survive.

I'm not going to reveal anymore of the story, as that may take away from your enjoyment. What I will say is I had fun with this, it's short, funny and has one or two fucked up scenes, one of which was proper gnarly! And the ending made me smile.

Only down side is I didn't like the narration, It detracted and the narrators voice was super annoying, he had a patronising tone to his voice.

Apart from this, it's worth watching, fans of dark comedies will find a lot to enjoy.

Creepshow series: episode 2:

Got to say I enjoyed this a lot more than the first, both stories here were fun.

Bad wolf - it was great to see Jeffrey Combs, some nice gore effects, I understood why they couldn't show the changes and thought they handled it well, wolf effects were ok, it had a satisfying conclusion, but....the one thing that annoyed me, when they entered the cell and the guy's translating, he's not quite sure what the woman is saying, but once they are locked in, he translates everything perfectly!

The finger - I enjoyed it, thought it was quite a strong story, again a satisfying conclusion (which had been sorely missing from the first episode), some nice effects in the context of budget. All in all 45 mins well spent, hope they continue to improve as they progress.

Colin, hulkyduck, Kim Bruun and 2 others like this.
  19. indrid13

[​IMG]

Day 14 of the Scarecrow Psychotronic Challenge.
    S.T.D. Madness: No, not syphilitic symptoms! Science, Transformation & Dabbing; a cracked scientist's creative palette.
    There was certainly enough films to pick from for this one. Ultimately I went with Swamp Thing. An HBO classic from my childhood. There's enough mad science and body transformation here for a couple films. Might not be the best comic book movie, but it certainly is a fun one.
    I followed it up with a few episodes of Doom Patrol. A weird show with a surprising amount of heart and crude humor. I'm more familiar with the pre-Vertigo version. I dig this crazy version.

20. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

20. Baby Blood (Alain Robak, 1990)

[​IMG]

This movie was a real kick. It's got an early Cronenberg body-horror vibe to it, mixed with elements of H.P. Lovecraft, with occasional bursts of Braindead-era Peter Jackson splatter. It's not perfect, and the plot tends to drag a little towards the middle, when nothing new is really happening, but Yanka's dialogue with her fetus is hilarious, and on the whole I really enjoyed this.

21. The Sitter (Fred Walton, 1977)

[​IMG]

I was glad to have the opportunity to check this out on the new Second Sight blu ray package for When a Stranger Calls. I think the version from the film, with Carol Kane, is an improvement, but it's great to see the raw original, which really works well.

22. The Outer Limits S01E6: The Man Who Was Never Born (Leonard Horn, 1963)

[​IMG]

This was one of my favorite episodes thus far. Martin Landau plays a visitor from the future who must try to prevent the destruction of the earth. The pre-credits preview sequence of another gooey-faced monster menacing a pretty young woman in the forest did the episode a real disservice, as that seemed like something right out of the previous (and underwhelming) episode The Sixth Finger. Fortunately, The Man Who Was Never Born has way more story and character up its sleeve and turned out to be a fantastic episode!

23. Deadtime Stories (Jeffrey Delman, 1986)

[​IMG]

Time for another anthology, and it was another weird one. The tone of this movie is all over the place, ranging from coldly atmospheric to goofy slapstick comedy. The title sequence seems like something out of a Monty Python flick, but then the entire first story is played almost entirely straight, except for the occasional mugging for the camera from the two witches. It's dark and brooding, and the opening scenes in a cold forest at night, with the trees and snow lit in a really naturalistic way is legitimately creepy. It also has some really impressive and gross special effects that reminded me of Frank's rise from the floorboards in Hellraiser. The second story is a weird mix of camp and brutality, with a final zinger of a line that is completely ridiculous, but at the same time somehow manages to be quite funny - maybe that's just my own sense of humor - I can imagine many people would just roll their eyes at it. By the time we reach the third story, all bets are off, and we are miles deep into slapstick territory. These abrupt shifts in tone make for an incredibly inconsistent experience, but somehow, despite how off-kilter the entire film is, I wound up really enjoying myself. The final segment is laugh-out-loud funny in several scenes, and it just devolves into a series of puns and gags that really worked for me. Such a strange movie.

24. The Face of Fu Manchu (Don Sharp, 1965)

[​IMG]

And now for something completely different. I've only seen one of the Christopher Lee Fu Manchu films (that would be Brides, the second one), but I've always been a little curious, despite their dubious reputations. I know they're not exactly horror either, but I think their pedigree of yellow-peril serials, Hammer-era Christopher Lee, and Jess Franco's eventual involvement, certainly qualifies them as Halloween viewing.

I have to say, though, that we are not off to a good start. Not that The Face of Fu Manchu is bad, exactly, but it's pretty damn dry and dull. And it really suffers from a lack of Christopher Lee. He's great when he appears, but he spends most of the time in the shadows, and the rest of the film doesn't do enough to keep itself entertaining when he's not on screen. It doesn't help that Nigel Green, our intrepid Nayland Smith, is a poor excuse for a leading man indeed, all stiff-upper-lip tweedy and wind-blown thinning hair, with no personality. Fu Manchu's great scheme is pretty unimpressive as well, with a plot to steal the secrets to a super-poison that he will use to...kill...somebody. Well, certainly Nayland Smith, but after that it's not very clear what or who he intends to use it on, or what he hopes to get out of the whole thing. There's a little bit of camp, which makes it fun, and the xenophobic character interactions are truly a sight to behold, but it's not really enough. Here's hoping the series at least becomes a little trashier.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019