The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2020!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 21, 2020.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

It's a busy start to the month for me, and while I may be able to do a systematic review later in the month, I'm just going to hit some highlights of the last week:

09 10/07 The Show Must Go Online: Macbeth (2020)
    Macbeth is a bit of an interest of mine and hearing about a live stream of it I decided to catch it. This is a down and dirty version which well embodies the fun of Shakespeare; just some enthusiastic actors doing their thing. What really caught my ear was the narration of stage direction when the curt "Exeunt" used at the ends of scenes is emphasized by the actors dropping their video feed in that instance. It helped give it a dramatic and thrilling pace. There was some nice special effects too by tricking out Zoom to create a ghostly effect which I'm a little curious how they pull off. The introduction, intermission and Q&A after is engaging too. A fun and fitting divergence for October in these socially distant times.

[​IMG]
    This Blu-ray has been a long time coming, as I placed a pre-order for it in June of 2018, but had been eyeing the DVD since it's release more than a decade before. When it came out late last fall past Halloween I still didn't receive it and it took a lot of prodding to finally get it shipped to me in late summer of this year. I've been bad about watching these animated spook shows before but I made sure to sit down Friday afternoon to indulge in this disc after such a long wait. It did not disappoint.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    00 10/09 Le spectre rouge ( The Red Spectre ) (1907)
    Gloriously hand tinted with an eye for the macabre this is a smash opening if I've ever seen one. While it may not add up to much more than a standard magic show it's so fantastically staged it's difficult to do it justice with mere mortal words. So simply put, it's a spellbinding experience. There's a part too with girls in bottles that is reminiscent of Bride of Frankenstein and I wonder if it was something of an inspiration for Whales as it's so singular both here and in BoF where it comes out of nowhere. I'm going to be placing this front and center on my October movie night for friends.

[​IMG]
    00 10/09 Woos Whoopee (1928)
    For those who thought cartoons were for kids and not adults I present to you Felix the Cat having a bad trip off some bathtub gin and hallucinates a nightmarish landscape from which he cannot escape. The closest I can come is to the nightmare fueled Heffalumps and Woozles or the surreal Seuss "spook's tour" from Halloween is Grinch Night. I swear I'll never touch another drop!

[​IMG]
    00 10/09 Sure-Locked Homes (1928)
    Felix escapes a harsh storm in a haunted house only to end up in shadowy clutches. Kinda fun. Kinda draggy. But some unique animation as it appears there's segments where they moved cut-outs instead of animating which is cool to see.

[​IMG]
    00 10/09 The Fall of the House of Usher (1928)
    Not to be confused with the French adaptation from the same year La Chute de la maison Usher (which I found to be rather lackluster in itself). This takes German Expressionism and cranks it to eleven, breaks the knob off, then administers concussive maintenance for the rest of the running time. I love it. Anything worth doing is worth overdoing I always say. Some great use of prisms which are especially effective when stacking staircases giving them an otherworldly crookedness.

[​IMG]
    00 10/09 The Wizard's Apprentice (1930)
    I feel a little thick but I didn't realize the infamous Mickey Mouse bit in Fantasia was based on a 1797 poem by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe; who wrote the famous adaption of Faust. This is a fun little take with some simple staging and simple animations. Not much to take away from this except that it opened my eyes a bit on the source of one of my favorite animations.

I'll be checking out more of the disc over the next few days but so far it's been a hoot.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    12 10/09 Theatre of Blood (1973)
    Diana Rigg hasn't been in anything more horrific than this yet it's got its gruesome moments but is an especially fun one with Vincent Price getting to play a revenging Shakespearean hamming it up like never before. She didn't do much horror, perhaps understandably, but I can see what attracted her to this role as not only does she, a Shakespearean actress in her real life, gets to take a hand in killing off some critics she gets to cross dress as male which is a rare offering to any actress. Also a lot of great actors in here and there's also a short scene with Diana Dors which is unfortunate as she's an underrated actresses who plays these cheeky roles here and in Beserk with real wit. Much like Phibes we get a systematic killing spree using the more sadistic Shakespearean sources. I had just read Richard the Third and rather enjoyed the death of "Clarence," but the final death from Titus Andronicus is my favorite in this and perhaps more vomit inducing today than it was in 1973! I doubt a producer would allow something to go out like that today even if it's something the MPAA would have a hard time justifing censorship. But the "To Be or Not to Be" speech is a highlight here and more poignant than perhaps even in the play itself. It's really well stage and I appreciate how Price handled it. Not too much. Not too little. Just right. I really need to get this in HD as my DVD is hard-matted 4:3!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    13 10/09 The Worst Witch (1986)
    Reported to be one of the worst movies ever made this has of course been on my watch list for decades now but I never got around to watching it. But with Diana Rigg's passing it's now or never. This is surprisingly close to Harry Potter even considering its setting in an English prep school for magic as even their uniform colors are close to Gryffindor's. I dare say this has a bit of a better character arch for the lead as she's a "muggle" and magic comes with great difficulty to her, unlike Harry, so it's a better source of drama/comedy. The acting is pretty good with Fairuza Balk commanding her considerable screen time and Diana Rigg keeping a good balance of stern mistress and tongue in cheek. If anything really irks its the incompetent witches trying to take over the school to make it evil. Their out of tune "song" is literally the worst I've seen. Worse than Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny: either version.
    [​IMG]
    But oh man Tim Curry as The Grand Wizard... I thought that sweet transvestite from Transsexual Transalvania had a wardrobe! A big bellowing cape that puts the technicolor dream coat to shame and some of the most uncoordinated singing dancing of the 80's but somehow Curry goes for it without a shred of self consciousness. I'm guessing he came off flat footed because he's just too use to doing it in high heels!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 7TH:

MASQUE.png

33.) The Masque Of The Red Death (1989) (Blu-ray) - I had heard mostly bad things about this one, recently released on blu-ray from Scorpion and available via Ronin Flix. I ended up enjoying it quite a bit. It feels like an Empire Pictures movie, very '80s and very fun. Plus, I'm a sucker for a good slasher movie and this one more than fit the bill with its quirky characters and wildly creative kills. The plot concerns a reporter who sneaks into a very '80s costume party in a castle (complete with a rock band) to stealthily photograph an aging soap star. It isn't long before someone dressed in a red cloak and mask begins killing the guests, and the ones remaining find themselves trapped in the castle with the killer. It's basically Clue set in a Charlie Band castle movie with crazy slasher movie kills. Brenda Vaccaro in particular steals the show as soap star Elaina Hart. There's even a gruesome pendulum kill, as required in every Edgar Allan Poe movie. Ignore the bad reviews, this one is a lot of fun for '80s slasher fans.

LOCALS.png

34.) The Locals (2003) (DVD) - This was an old Anchor Bay DVD I had lying around that I remember watching at the time, but now I could barely remember a thing about it. So I figured why not revisit? The movie follows two guys on a road trip, following a bad break-up for one of the guys. Along the way, they meet two gorgeous girls who invite them to a rural party in the middle of nowhere. When they accidentally run off the road, they go to a nearby house for help where they end up witnessing a murder. Now the two guys, along with the two girls, are being hunted by the murderous locals trying to keep the crime quiet. I think I liked this one more now than I did then. One of the things I did remember about it is that it had a very off-putting twist, but watching it again now, the twist happens pretty early on and is such a huge part of the plot that I didn't mind it this time around. It has a strange low-budget overly-lit look about it, but for the most part I found it fun, spooky, and fast-paced enough to keep my interest. I'm glad I decided to give it another spin.

OCTOBER 8TH:

BOOKS OF BLOOD.png

35.) Books Of Blood (2020) (Hulu) - This is a new anthology movie based on Clive Barker's Books Of Blood, consisting of three stories, although it's really more like two stories with a wraparound to tie them together. The biggest problem here is that the movie runs 1 hr 50 mins, and the first story runs for nearly an entire hour. It involves a girl who flees her home and takes refuge in a boarding house run by a mysterious couple who may have nefarious intentions for our poor girl. It brought to mind that wave of '70s movies like Welcome To Arrow Beach, Terror At Red Wolf Inn, Silent Scream, etc, and it's quite good once she finally arrives at the boarding house. However, the first half of this nearly hour long segment is wasted giving this girl's entire backstory, none of which pays off in any meaningful way. They should have chopped all that out, kept it vague, and began the segment with her on the road. Had they done this, this could have been a tight 90 minute anthology that might be worth revisiting, but the opening of this segment presents too big a hurdle for the movie to have much replay value. Onto the second segment, which I thought was pretty much perfect and feels very much what we'd expect from Clive Barker. It involves a woman who lost her child, and a psychic who may be communicating with her son... or may be pulling a con on her. This segment has a wicked and graphically violent pay-off that had me grinning ear to ear. Finally, the third segment basically just ties them together. It also provides a little epilogue for the first story, which had ended rather abruptly. So I did like this quite a bit, and thought the stories themselves were consistent and strong, but that first story is filled with so much unnecessary information that it bogs everything down. Recommended, as long as you can force yourself through the pointless first 30 mins.

OCTOBER 9TH:

WOLF.png

36.) The Wolf Of Snow Hollow (2020) (VOD) - Jim Cummings takes his Thunder Road character and places him in the middle of a small winter town procedural where the townsfolk are being attacked by a werewolf. It may help to have seen Thunder Road first to ease you into this, as this character is sure to be divisive (although technically, both movies stand alone and he is playing a different character here). I really enjoyed the movie, it's unique and out there and has great winter atmosphere. It brought to mind the type of movies Larry Fessenden / Glass Eye Pix make, all of which I'm a big fan of. That said, the werewolf stuff is perhaps secondary to Cummings character. I felt it delivered in both regards, but this isn't your traditional werewolf movie, and it's definitely not going to be for everyone. I would say this was way up my alley, but might be a tough one to recommend to others. So I will recommend for adventurous genre fans who aren't afraid to dabble into non-horror genres, as this one mixes in a lot of drama and comedy that may overpower the horror elements for some. It's a brisk 84 minutes, so even if you hate it, it'll go by quickly.

Previous Entries:
    1.) Cabin By The Lake (2000)
    2.) Pet Sematary (1989)
    3.) Mercy Black (2019)
    4.) Nancy Drew Episodes 1 & 2 "Pilot" & "The Secret Of The Old Morgue"
    5.) Scare Me (2020)
    6.) Return To Cabin By The Lake (2001)
    7.) Monsterland Episodes 1 & 2 "Port Fourchon, Louisiana" & "Eugene, Oregon"
    8.) 12 Hour Shift (2020)
    9.) Nancy Drew Episodes 3 & 4 "The Curse Of The Dark Storm" & "The Haunted Ring"
    10.) Halloween Party (2019)
    11.) Let's Scare Julie (2020)
    12.) The Night Brings Charlie (1990)
    13.) Death Of Me (2020)
    14.) Vampires Vs. The Bronx (2020)
    15.) Nancy Drew Episodes 5 & 6 "The Case Of The Wayward Spirit" & "The Mystery Of Blackwood Lodge"
    16.) Do Not Reply (2019)
    17.) Halloween Pussy Trap Kill! Kill! (2017)
    18.) The Clown At Midnight (1998)
    19.) Monsterland Episodes 3 & 4 "New Orleans, Louisiana" & "New York, New York"
    20.) Nancy Drew Episodes 7 & 8 "The Tale Of The Fallen Sea Queen" & "The Path Of Shadows"
    21.) Lovecraft Country Episode 1 "Sundown"
    22.) The Dead Ones (2019)
    23.) Possession: Until Death Do You Part (1987)
    24.) Monsterland Episodes 5 & 6 "Plainfield, Illinois" & "Palacios, Texas"
    25.) Hosts (2020)
    26.) Phantom Of Death (1988)
    27.) The Walking Dead Season 10 Episode 16 "A Certain Doom"
    28.) The Walking Dead: World Beyond Episode 1 "Brave"
    29.) Spontaneous (2020)
    30.) Tales From The Hood 3 (2020)
    31.) Eerie, Indiana Disc One Episodes 1 - 3
    32.) Nancy Drew Episodes 9 & 10 "The Hidden Staircase" & "The Mark Of The Poisoner's Pearl"

Gore Lunatic, f0t0z00m, Colin and 8 others like this.
  3. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    Day 10. PLASTIQUE VIVANT: Mannequins are creepy enough standing still but what happens when they come to life?

Movie # 16:
    Tourist Trap (1979) (DVD)

Cool little flick that plays like a supernatural riff on Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Chuck Connors is a lot of fun here. The film has a nice creepy dream look to it and the Pino Donaggio score is top notch.

4. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 10

Started off the day with some good stuff and got in the mood for some Saw movies. Found out that my Saw and Saw IV both took a shit and don't work anymore which I guess they are kind of notorious for. I would like to get these again, but don't know if the stuff being sold is still prone to those problems. I'm also hearing that the collections are bare bones. This series really needs some 4k love. so I didn't get any Saw in today. What I did get was....

40. The Entity (1982) Blu - I had not seen this movie since it was new to VHS all of those years ago. I remembered liking it quite a bit, but due to time between viewings, it felt pretty fresh. I felt it was intense in places and flowed pretty well.

41. The Thing (1982) Blu - Can't ever go wrong with this one. Not much to add that people don't already know. This is a classic!

42. The Munsters' Revenge (1981) DVD - Finishing up the two disc collection I had on DVD. This time they are accused of theft and other things that obviously didn't do. Typical Munsters hi-jinks make this a fun watch. Does have the phantom of the Opera and his singing as well.

43. The Eye (2008) Blu - I checked this one out do to it having a reputation of the blu going bad like the Saw movies. I enjoyed it and had no idea it was an Asian horror remake of the movie Gin Gwai. Jessica Alba plays a blind character that gets corneal transplants to restore her vision, but ends up getting more than she wants. She keeps seeing supernatural things that leads to a bigger story. Knowing this was an Asian horror remake really had me wanting to check out some J-Horror nect. I will most definitely check out Gin Gwai as it is up on YouTube.

44. Ringu (1998) DVD - I am pretty sure that I had never really watched this movie that inspired the remake The Ring that was a success in America. I did buy Ringu and it was opened, but I'm guessing I didn't want to deal with subtitles at the time. I went with it for my final movie tonight and loved it. The stories are obviously very close although I think the Japanese version really gets the atmosphere right. I was glad to see 'the scene' in this version as well. Creeps the shit out of me every time. Thinking I want to check out a few more by this director. Possibly Dark Water. I haven't given enough attention to J-Horror.

~Rocker10

5. Rocker10

I really want to upgrade my DVD, I do see something coming out I believe in November, and it is suppose to be uncut. The last blu ray had issues I guess. Hoping they get it right.

~Rocker10

indrid13 likes this.
  6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Even though this prank borders on being a little too cruel and mean-spirited, I have to admit I laughed. Don't worry that you don't understand Japanese.

p.s., check out Audition. Not the same director, but.....wow.

7. Rocker10

That was pretty good..lol. Thanks for the tip on Audition, I'll check it out.

indrid13 likes this.
  8. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

Someone wanted to know where we are watching these movies. The majority of the movies I watch are on demand. Usually free as part of my cable on a variety of channels. I don't do the pay thing unless the movie is $1.99 or maybe $2.99.

--

Swamp Thing - Episode 1 -

swamp thing.jpg

They put this show on The CW. My plan was to watch through the October and November months since it's only 10 episodes. However, The CW not only cut the swear words but they actually blurred the actor's lips as well. I've never seen that before. So who knows what else they are editing. As I still haven't read my Wrightson Artifact Edition with the variant Swamp Thing cover yet.

Wrightson Artifact Edition.jpg

My plan now is to get the Blu-ray down the line and make a few weeks of the show and book. The first episode was pretty good. I thought Channel Zero final season's actress was going to be the lead but she only has one scene in the first episode. Still this was a good setup. The whole episode is almost at night in a seemingly small swamp town. I do like swamps. I remember getting lost in a swamp once where the water was over my waist and not having a concern at all. In fact I thought it was fun. Now I know they can be fairly dangerous.

There is a wild scene in a hospital which I used for the above image. I have a feeling that this will be a good show even though it was cancelled.

House by the Cemetery -

house by the cemetery.jpg

Someone posted about House by the Cemetery a few pages back. I checked and I had it for free so I gave it a watch. It was on my list after seeing The Beyond, which was the first Fulci movie I ever watched. I thought The Beyond didn't make much sense in the end and someone posted something like that was normal for Fulci. House by the Cemetery didn't make much sense in the end either.

House by the Cemetery starts off in a titillating manner. I don't think I've ever seen a movie start straight off like that. I thought I would be in for a good movie from that scene. But then they introduce this kid named Bob. Usually parents call their children something more childlike, like Bobby or Robbie. But anyway, Bob is one of those annoying movie kids. He starts off ok I guess with a few good moments like a scene with a picture. However, further on in the movie, I didn't care if Bob got it.

I do like the setting of the movie and the house at the cemetery. The last season of Luther featured a modern house that was right next to a cemetery as well. I had to find if that was a real house or a set. I tend to like when movies have small towns as well and I did like the mysterious little girl. That's why I used her image for the review. But overall, The Beyond has a bit better atmosphere and soundtrack compared to House by the Cemetery. Both are really odd movies. I wonder if they make more sense in Italian? The babysitter acts in a strange manner for reasons unknown to me. At one point near at end, the main guy character says what the bad guy is doing. And I was like how in the world did he figure that out? I believe I said it in my review of The Beyond but Silent Hill, a movie that I don't think many like, is far more clear and structured about what is happening with I believe similar endings.

That's two down and only City of the Living Dead left in the trilogy. But I don't have that one for free so it will have to wait.

PS - I had to check who played the babysitter because she was pretty and oddly familiar. She's the same actress who played one of the witches in Inferno. I'll have to check out some more of her movies in the future.

PPS - I just saw this witches poster from Bloody-Disgusting. Pretty cool. But it's missing the Suspiria and Inferno witches.

A_Gathering_of_Witches_Poster jordan monsell.jpg

I never heard of Foyle's War before. I'll take a look at that one.

I thought the original Asian version of The Eye was far better than the remake. The American version of The Eye was in the same bad category as the remake of One Missed Call and a bunch of others. I don't think I liked Dark Water that much either.

The Ring however is one of the best Asian horror remakes. I go back and forth attempting to decide which is better. I do like the last shot in Ringu as it reminds me of the one in The Terminator. And I think the foreign nature adds to the movie.

Yeah that's hilarious. I don't think it's mean at all.

And Audition is the real deal. Anyone who hasn't seen this one. Don't watch the trailer, check the poster, or look at the cover art. Just watch it knowing nothing.

9. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

Gore Lunatic and indrid13 like this.
  10. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/10/2020

FURY OF THE WOLFMAN (1972)

[​IMG]

College professor Waldemar Daninsky (Paul Naschy) is attacked by a Yeti during an expedition to Tibet, the only surviving member of the team. Now carrying the curse of the pentagram, Waldemar unleashes his inner rage as a werewolf upon learning that his wife Erika (Pilar Zorilla) is unfaithful. She plots to kill her husband with the aid of her lover, but since when is killing a werewolf easy? If that wasn't enough, another woman enters the picture. Dr. Ilona Ellman (Perla Cristal) is the worst kind of control freak. You know, the mad scientist who wants everyone under her mind control. Using a castle with an underground dungeon asylum, the doctor has specific plans in mind for her new patient.

Fury of the Wolfman is the third entry (fourth if you count a lost film from the late 60's) in Paul Naschy's Hombre Lobo series. This is the follow up to Assignment Terror (1970), but don't look for continuity. Two options are available on the Scorpion Releasing disc. I went with the extended cut for this first watch. Note that on the English dub track, he is Walter Daninsky. The story really shifts gears when Waldemar becomes the main attraction for Ilona. Some questionable editing in a couple spots doesn't exactly help the viewer make sense of everything. If you can forgive this, there's a fun feature for Naschy fans to enjoy. A growing collection of savage freaks populate the scientist's castle, there's a masked monstrosity, and even another werewolf for Waldemar to fight near the end. As usual, Naschy gets laid with multiple women. Fair is fair though. His screen wife was cheating on him. Some of the wolfman lore from the Universal Monsters films gets retained. There's the pentagram mark of the beast. Has to be killed with a silver bullet by someone who loves him. It's just funny who fast the women in Naschy films fall in love with him and ready to prove their devotion in this way.

A little disclaimer on the extended cut. The reinstated footage on the Scorpion release is much lower quality, but only adds a small portion to the running time.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  11. indrid13

Nice! I'd love to upgrade my old DVD.

Rocker10 likes this.
  12. Rocker10

Just some additional info on this. Big box VHS edition streets on 11/10/20 and a standard version on 02/09/21. Most of this info was pulled from Bluray.com. Haven't seen an official review yet, but somebody claimed to have the VHS big box edition and said it looked better, but did have some grain issues and crushing in dark scenes. Not sure why Full Moon can't get this right, but apparently this version is better than the last. Watch for more reviews before buying would be my advice.

~Rocker10

indrid13 likes this.
  13. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

October 10th
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

22) All the Colors of the Dark: Reeling from a miscarriage, a young woman begins to lose her grip on reality as she is plagued with disturbing visions of sex, murder, and the occult. A whacky and over-the-top Giallo with a dash of surrealism. Sergio Martino clearly took a lot of influence from “Rosemary’s Baby” here, but still manages to pull off something that stands out. I liked the surreal nature of the storytelling, which kept me guessing what was real and what wasn’t, and the cult blood orgy was a nice touch. The narrative starts to trip over its own feet in the finale, with an unnecessary plot twist
    It turns out the woman’s parents were murder a number of years earlier
    , and the exposition dump in the final minutes of the film was pointless. Recommended if you enjoy Giallo’s. (6/10)

23) Death Smiles on a Murderer: A guy discovers an ancient formula for raising the dead and uses it to exact revenge. A sleazy and violent slice of gothic horror, with the sex and violence of a Giallo. The film boasts fantastic shot composition and cinematography and an atmospheric score but lacks in terms of story. The plot is a convoluted mess, playing out like a cheesy day time soap opera. The motives of the characters are confusing and nonsensical, making it impossible to follow the story at points, with some unintentionally hilarious death sequences (including one where someone gets mauled by a cat). If it weren’t for the deaths in this thing, I don’t think I would have been able to tolerate it, a frustrating watch. (4/10)

24) What Have You Done to Solange?: A college professor having an affair with one of his students finds himself in police crosshairs when a number of female coeds turn up murdered. This has a reputation of being one of the best the Giallo subgenre has to offer and it delivered. “What Have You Done…” crafts a suspenseful who-dun-it? Tale with twists and turns at every corner. The film is light on gore and small on the body count, but the killer in this one has one of the most disturbing M.O.’s I’ve seen
    He shoves a knife up these girls’ twats
    . When we finally discover who the killer is, there is a pretty lengthy exposition dump by the lead detective, which drove me crazy, but the conclusion is something I didn’t see coming. The film offers so much more than the typical black glove dawning, sex pervert murderer and has quite a bit to say about religious oppression. A great watch. (7/10)

25) The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh: An unfaithful wife of an ambassador finds herself pursed by a razor welding maniac, and the killer might be someone close to her. My second Sergio Martino film of the evening and the better of the two for sure, reteaming Martino with “All the Colors of the Dark” lead actress Edwige Fenech, “… Mrs. Wardh” is a fun, trashy, stalk and slash. The film plays out the notes you would expect in a film like this, but it’s the psychology behind our lead character, and her bizarre blood fetish, that gives this one a lot of personality. I also loved the huge plot twist towards the end
    We come to discover the killer is a completely different person, unrelated to the other characters, and it was Mrs. Wardh’s husband and a mutual friend that orchestrates a series of events and copycat murders in an attempt to fool police.
    Another entertaining Giallo for the win column. (7/10)

** "Mrs. Wardh" is available on Shudder. The other three titles are available on Amazon Prime.

14. indrid13

Thanks!

Rocker10 likes this.
  15. indrid13

[​IMG]

Last night's films

Movie # 17:
    The Horror Show (1989) (Bluray)

Another prisoner comes back from the dead slasher with a heavy dose of Nightmare on Elm Street. While a bit stranded, there's a few nice bits of surreal body horror. Lance Henriksen and Brion James practically carry the film which can be a little dull when there's no supernatural shenanigans going on.

[​IMG]

Movie # 18:
    Eyes of the Werewolf (1999) (DVD)

A film about an eye transplant that turns a man into a werewolf. Featuring a very horny nurse, a dwarf into the occult and a lesbian cop.
    Eyes of The Werewolf is filled with questionable acting at best. Special effects GWAR would pass on. And is filmed like a porno. Speaking of porn, there's two very long sex scenes. They're so long, nations rose and fell while they were on. The werewolf runs around in the same ripped white shirt despite whatever the dude was wearing before he changed. The puppet they use for the werewolf biting people is the cutest thing ever. This my 2nd viewing of it this year and it only got better. Amazing trash. I love it.

[​IMG]

Movie # 19:
    Dark Town (2004) (DVD)

During a city wide blackout, an awkward birthday party is crashed by lesbians, gangbanger wannabes and vampires. It's not at all good, but for whatever reason I enjoy it. Be on the lookout for the cat that changes between scenes.

16. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #15:
    Blood and Black Lace (1964)
    Rewatch (Amazon Prime)
    **** (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    10. PLASTIQUE VIVANT: Mannequins are creepy enough standing still but what happens when they come to life?

There was a time in my life where I could remember every movie I'd watched. Not every little detail, but I could confidently say when I'd seen something. This year that's all going out the window. Looking at my Mario Bava ratings on IMDb there are several of his films (mainly the early fantasies he ghost directed) that I can't remember ever watching. But I rated them on there, just like I did this giallo featuring creepy red mannequins that I could've sworn was going to be a first time watch.

[​IMG]
    Movie #16:
    The Mole People (1956)
    First Time Viewing (Universal's Classic Sci-Fi Ultimate Collection DVD)
    **1/2 (out of 5)

Semi-interesting adventure about the discovery of an underground civilization is brought down by padding scenes and a lack of characterization. The monsters are fun, but a small part of the film. The downbeat ending bumped the rating up a 1/2 star.

17. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

12. Ghost Ship (Steve Beck, 2002)

[​IMG]

Towards the end of September, I revisited the Jamie Lee Curtis derelict ship sci-fi/horror flick Virus. It wasn't great. Neither is Ghost Ship, but unlike Virus, I had this feeling that if the same group of people had made a movie from the same script maybe....10 years later? That it would have been a much better film. So much of what lets the movie down is its adherence to unfortunately popular trends in 2002: the overexposed lighting, the abrupt editing (especially during the first act), the reliance on not-quite-there-yet cgi, the inexplicable use of heavy metal. It all just works to undermine the film, which is unfortunate because it seems like underneath all that is a decent story idea that could have made a decent movie. The derelict ship is a great setting for a horror film. It's been used really well in movies like Death Ship, Deep Rising, and Triangle. It's a pity that Ghost Ship was made when it was.

18. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Today's viewing:

Paganini Horroe

When a female rock band use an infamous old piece of sheet music to record their new album in an old mansion, they accidentally open a portal to hell.

Awful, just awful. The exploding woman was fun that's it. They even dubbed Donald Pleasance. A sacrilege.

The Cleansing Hour

Another successful "exorcism" streamed online - or so it seems. Can the "exorcist", producer and their team bring the ratings up? Ratings skyrocket, when a real demon gets involved.

This was OK. The trailer looked a lot better than the film turned out to be. I've seen a lot worse that's for sure, but was hoping for a bit more than this gave me. The ending was cool though.

19. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

13. The Outer Limits S01E12: The Borderland (Leslie Stevens, 1963)

[​IMG]

In this episode, a team of scientists build a machine which allows them to travel to another dimension. It's well made, and taken very seriously, but unfortunately about 30 of it's 50 minutes are spent on the setup and testing of the machine, with only the last 10 or so minutes really capitalizing on the potential of the story. So the payoff is excellent, but getting there is a slog. It was fun to see a very young Mark Richman, who would go on to play one of the most despicable characters in the Friday the 13th series, Charles McCulloch in Jason Takes Manhattan. He's great in this episode.

14. The Outer Limits S01E13: Tourist Attraction (Laslo Benedek, 1963)

[​IMG]

Unfortunately this turned out to be one of the weakest so far. A big game fisherman and a South American dictator vie for control over a gillman-type creature that's been captured. Despite the presence of Henry Silva as the dictator, this episode falls pretty flat. Nothing really interesting happens, and there's no twist or significant reveal. You know you're in trouble when the narrator, usually reserved for the philosophizing at the opening and closing of each episode, is needed to spell out plot points midway through the episode.

20. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I won't numerate, since it wouldn't hold a candle to what a lot of you guys watch, but here's some recents:

Fright Night (HDNet Movies) - Ah, a classic in every sense of the word. I haven't watched this in a couple of years, was fun to revisit. A meta-horror that starts out spoofing the tropes of its own sub-genre, till it becomes a traditional vampire film in every sense of the word. Except it does it with loving respect for the old vampire films, unlike the way Scream openly ridiculed the classic 80s slasher genre. (As I mentioned in my review for The Burning, I'm not a lover of all things slasher like a lot of other horror fans, but I don't openly put down the genre as bad as Williamson and Craven do). But back to Fright Night. Just a great ride that knows when to use humor to lighten the tension, then ratchet it up for a killer finale.

The Killing Kind (Vinegar Syndrome Blu-Ray) - Not a horror film in the traditional sense, more the study of an insane young man (John Savage) who is allowed by his domineering mom to just go completely off the deep end. It held my attention well enough, but it won't be a movie I revisit very often. It's subject matter that has been covered before and since, and much better.

Eli Roth's History of Horror (AMC) - Here's hoping the second season visits more obscure films. In a way, they did that, with a look at Craven's Last House on the Left, a film I'm guessing a lot of "newbie" horror fans aren't as familiar with (sure, we here are, but we're not really the audience of this show). I liked the idea of this episode, focusing on sinister settings and homes, but despite the word "House" in the title, the last house on the left is not the spooky setting that say, the Amityville house is (a film that was also heavily analyzed in this outing). Still, I'll be tuning in every week.

The Tunnel (DVD from Netflix) - An Australian found-footage that hits the same notes as As Above, So Below. So much, that a few times I said out loud "wait a minute, I've already seen this movie" till I realized I was thinking of the other film. That said, it's still a good premise; like As Above takes on the creepy Paris catacombs, here we have miles of abandoned subway tunnels in Sydney. I guess that's a thing. So the urban exploration setting is given extra creepiness since it was filmed in real locations. Also, the found footage is mixed with interviews of the exploration crew, giving it a "documentary" feel that balances out the shaky cam and night vision footage. Bottom line is, if you like this sort of thing, give it a go.