The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2020!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 21, 2020.

1. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Dark Water is possibly my favorite Japanese horror film. A bit over Ringu, which I highly rate. Not that it is necessarily a better movie, but because I have a soft spot for the horror of a protagonist just trying to be a good person who constantly gets dumped on by life and then accepts even worse in order to help someone else.

2. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    Day 11. ¿QUÉ ES UN “MURO FRONTERIZO”?: Watch anything from Mexico, Central or South America.

Movie # 20:
    The Curse of the Doll People (1961) (DVD)

A sometimes creepy, sometimes goofy and generally weird evil doll movie from Mexico. The dolls are played by dwarfs in cheap looking masks. The bad guy resembles Leonard Nimoy if he was playing the Mandarin from Iron Man. I remember seeing clips from this back in the '90's on Reel Wild Cinema. A show on USA that was hosted by Sandra Bernhard.

3. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

I'll be checking this out soon. Bought the Arrow version last night and just have to wait for its arrival. Looking forward to it.

~Rocker10

NaturesMistake and indrid13 like this.
  4. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 11

It turned into Vincent Price day today...

45. The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971) Blu - Re-watch. Like this movie. The story is interesting and the themed deaths make it kind of fun. Phibes is definitely an odd guy. Price plays the part very well in my opinion.

46. Dr. Phibes Rises Again (1972) Blu - Re-watch. It didn't take them long to bring Dr. Phibes back. The movie offers a look back at the first movie and then takes off from there with Dr. Phibes craziness once again. I liked this one, but a little less than the first. Both were worth watching.

47. The Tomb Of Ligeia (1964) Blu - First time watch. Part of Screams collection 2. Vincent Price's character creates problems in his relationship due to his obsession with his dead wife. Thought this one was okay, probably my least favorite of the day.

48. The House On Haunted Hill (1959) Blu - Re-watch. Always fun to watch. A definite classic that has inspired remakes. Not much to add as it is pretty well know.

49. The Oblong Box (1969) Prime - First time watch. Definitely the most violent of the Price films I watched today. It was cool seeing Christopher Lee in this movie as well. If you dig Gothic horror, this one isn't too bad.

50. Grizzly (1976) Blu - Re-watch. I usually take this one in every year in my marathon. Still love how good this movie looks on blu. The movie itself is fairly nostalgic and has a pretty good cast.

I did get All the Colors of Giallo on blu yesterday. Will probably start wading through that this month as well.

~Rocker10

5. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

Some shorts I watched in between writing up another review. There are a bunch of these on youtube that I'm checking out.

I still need to see Ghost Ship. I see it's on demand for free but the channel shows commercials during the movie. So that's a no for me right now.

I thought Virus wasn't that bad. But I tend to like just about anything with Jamie Lee Curtis. Virus had a B movie adventure feel with the pirate crew that come across the abandoned ship. I really liked Triangle. That's a movie that more people need to see. I can't remember Deep Rising at all though. Speaking of abandoned ships, I'm playing the 3DS demo of Resident Evil Revelations that takes place on a ship. I put that in my October Halloween Items topic that I started yesterday.

I want to get into Japanese and Asian horror movies again. I can't remember the original Dark Water that much at all. So I'll give it another watch. I know I don't need to see the remake again. I think the last horror movie I saw that was set in Japan was that Forest movie with the girl that goes to Japan to find her sister or relative. The forest is a place that people go to commit suicide. The premise was good but overall the movie wasn't that great.

6. KGBRadioMoskow

More overdue write ups, but for some highly recommended viewings. Ratings are out of ****.

10/4/20 - Hereditary (2018) ***1/2
    A series of tragedies pushes an already broken family to the brink. But sinister secrets in their deceased matriarch’s past may push them over the edge.

A masterful work, dripping with dread and dark atmosphere fuelling an inobvious but riveting plot progression. And the scene framing is a real treat, opening with a zoom in on a creep-tastic doll house that becomes the setting reality, then sharply executed throughout.

This is a thematic throwback to those 70s films where the protagonists are carried along by malevolent forces beyond their control and comprehension to a dark fate. It doesn't all make sense, there are no mythology rules to follow or break. Strange things just happen to this clearly wacked out family, each member equally sympathetic and despicable, involving just as off interlopers.

One final note, the family should have paid attention to Michael Caine. He'd have told them never stick anything out a car window that you're not willing to lose.

10/5/20 - Death Line (1972) ***
    As if there weren't enough movie reasons to avoid the subway, the last of a clan of tunnel dwelling cannibals preys on late night London commuters.

[​IMG]

First off, major respect for the amazing underground sets in this film. Many were authentic locations, lending much to the unsettling atmosphere. But the meticulously and elaborately detailed hovel of the rampaging killer ranks as one of the best sets I've ever seen in a horror film. It evokes antiquity, clutter, claustrophobia, remembrance, and carnage all at once. And it looks as if no square inch was left bare of a fitting trinket or stain or contrast. It’s an incredible achievement.

The makeup work on the killer also stands out admirably. The decrepit, disheveled, and diseased look is expertly believable. It would strongly invoke sympathy as a first reaction if it wasn't so visually ghastly. Combine with the hovel, and this is a film that made me glad that smell wasn't something that could be conveyed by my TV set.

Donald Pleasence takes the lead here as a cheeky police detective straight out of an Agatha Christie novel. It’s a treat watching him, being much more animated and active than his usual roles.

Christopher Lee has a glorified cameo, a collect a check and walk out scene of antagonistic banter with Pleasence that is almost worth the movie ticket price on its own. Sadly that’s it for him, even a single follow-up (a shocked reaction of his stuffy character having a chance glance at the cannibal in the tunnel would have been brilliant, but alas) would have been well appreciated.

Two no-names play the young couple targeted for consumption - or consummation - and are only notable in her interactions after being kidnapped and a climax scene where she promptly assists her rescuer in a fight against the killer. It’s a refreshing contradiction to the genre trope of cowering helplessly, instead the damsel immediately recognizing someone might die - and maybe herself soon after - if she doesn't get vicious.

Also of note is that her sense of mercy kicks in when they get the upper hand and she prevents the prudent "double tap" on the killer, something for which most such films would deal out prompt punishment.

The story itself is a bit rote, just another crazed outcast on a rampage with an unremarkable body count, although the film date gives it standing as being an early contribution. But it is the performance of Pleasence and Hugh Armstrong (as the killer, subbing in for original choice Marlon Brando) and the incredible sets that elevate this film.

10/6/20 - Mr. Vampire (1985) ***
    A Taoist priest and his two bumbling assistants try to contain an outbreak of the hopping dead. Complicating matters are corrupt and grieving relatives clueless to the threat, and the life threatening amorous intentions of a love sick ghost bride.

A blu ray upgrade re-watch for a film I have immense affection and respect for. This is an imaginative and highly entertaining blend of comedy, spooks, martial arts, and eastern mythology. It spawned numerous sequels and spin offs (most of lesser quality, with Chinese Ghost Story being a stand out exception), and is notable for being a commercially successful import to the west that didn't headline a Hong Kong superstar like Jet Li, Jackie Chan, or Chow Yun-fat. And deservedly so, this is on my short list of must watch 80s Hong Kong recommendations.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    CPT HOOK, Rocker10, X-human and 10 others like this.
  7. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

Planet of the Vampires -

planet of the vampires.jpg

I heard this influenced Alien so I checked it out. It's a slow movie. Very old school sci-fi more than horror. It reminded me of Forbidden Planet in some ways. It took a while to get to the Alien influence. I thought a scene with the Captain in the movie reminded me of a similar scene with MacReady in The Thing as well.

It's worth checking out but I didn't find it as good or at least fun as Galaxy of Terror. I think I was expecting a movie more like Galaxy of Terror for this one. Also for someone else to show up.
    Actual vampires.
    I did like the ending though.

Stay Home -

This is an ok reality horror short movie. I only checked it out because it has Danielle Harris and many other horror actors in it. Scout Taylor-Compton shows up along with Barbara Crampton, Kane Hodder, and Dee Wallace. It's kind of clever and worth a watch. The movie is only 15 or so minutes.

8. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

October 11th
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

26) Dude Bro Party Massacre III: A young man lies his way into a fraternity to uncover the identity of his brother’s killer. A great horror satire in vein of “WNUF Halloween Special” that delivers on the funny. For those who are not a fan of “WNUF” and it’s many commercial breaks, don’t worry, the ones in “Dude Bro…” are short – only seconds long and out of context, making them more humorous – so the overall focus is on the story. Clearly the boys at 5 Second Films are huge fans of the 80’s slasher genre, because this hits all the sweet spots – over the top gore, hammy acting, gratuitous nudity, and convoluted plot – and I was entertained all the way through. The comedy and tone can be a bit too self-aware at times, breaking the illusion that you are watching a lost piece of media, but I was laughing too often to let it ruin my good time. There was also an odd array of cameos peppered in (Larry King, Nina Hartley, Patton Oswalt and Andrew W.K.) but everyone did a fantastic job. The climax is quite stupid – it seemed they didn’t know how to end the film, so they just said “Fuck it! Let’s do something ridiculous” – but other than that I would highly recommend this to slasher movie fanatics. (7/10)

27) The Legend of the Psychotic Forrest Ranger: A group of teens partying in the woods are stalked and murdered by a prowler. A textbook example of how not to do satire. “Psychotic Forrest Ranger” gets the aesthetics right but hits all the wrong notes. It tries and continuously fails to make any jokes, and when it does, they completely miss the landing. The acting is atrocious, and the direction is even worse. Through in a terrible, annoying, cringy, one liner spuing villain and not a good horror comedy does this make. Don’t bother, trust me. (2/10)

28) 12 Hour Shift: A junkie nurse, along with her cousin and a group of criminals, attempt to pull off a major organ heist over the course of an evening at an Arkansas hospital. This was more of a comedy of errors crime/thriller than a straight up horror/comedy but was still entertaining. The production value is cheap, and the supporting cast is hit or miss, but Angela Bettis as the lead is what keeps this film going, she does a great job playing the loveable loser type, and Chloe Farnworth as the dipshit cousin was great for comedy relief. The plot does come unglued in the final act, most of it hanging on to how inept the police are (even from a comedic standpoint it doesn’t make sense how no one can figure out something is off), but it really comes down to Bettis’ plight and seeing if she can make it out of this sloppy situation in one piece. A descent enough effort that is worth a watch. (6/10)

29) Scare Me: During a power outage, two writers tell each other scary stories to pass the time. As someone else stated, this would have made for a better stage play than a feature length film, but I still came away impressed with the originality. The concept of two characters acting out the stories they are telling, complete with accompanying sound effects, was a unique approach. I think had this been just another horror anthology this would have been absolutely forgettable. What helps this succeed is a good script with witty dialogue, a great cast, and innovative direction. Our two leads – Aya Cash and Josh Ruben – do a fantastic job breathing life into these stories, never once coming across too hammy or too serious, and their underlining contempt for each other oozes through the screen, adding tension and kept me guessing when the big “blow up” was going to happen. This will defiantly be polarizing, and I can easily see why some won’t enjoy it, but this was a giant breathe of fresh air to a subgenre that is often overlooked. (7/10)

** "Due Bro" and "Psychotic Forrest Ranger" are available on tubitv, "12 Hour Shift" is available on VOD, "Scare Me" is available on Shudder.

9. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/11/2020

CRUEL JAWS (1995)

[​IMG]

Lab geek Billy (Gregg Hood) returns to his hometown in South Florida along with girlfriend Vanessa (Norma Nesheim). Hooking back up with the Snerensen family owned aquatic park fronted by Dag (Richard Dew), hard times have hit. A one month eviction notice has been served by the sheriff on behalf of wealthy landowner Samuel Lewis (George Barnes Jr). There's more pressing issues however. A giant tiger shark starts thinning out the population, not discriminating between locals and tourists.

Cruel Jaws is not a rip-off of Jaws (1975), rather it shamelessly steals abundant stock footage from Universal's Jaws series, along with some European productions I have not yet seen (but read about). Plot devices, narrative themes, and even some orchestral music from Star Wars has been lifted - sheer audacity any way you look at it. The shark stock footage is wildly inconsistent and never matching the Bruno Mattei film built around it. If you can just let yourself go, there is some "so bad it's good" entertainment value to be found. Just keep expectations low.

Acting is awful across the board. Billy is supposed to be the Matt Hooper of the film. Doesn't wash for me. He comes across as nothing more than a correspondence school dropout. Dag is like the Dollar Tree version of Hulk Hogan without the steroids or cocaine fueled rants. Not a coincidence since he has been a Hulk Hogan impersonator in real life. Sam Lewis has a different scarf in every scene. His wannabe tough guy son Ronnie (Carter Collins) gets his thrills ganging up on guys along with his jabroni beach friends. Ronnie and his Dad both on different occasions while venting about Bob Snerensen (Dag's son) insist they "want his balls." The Lewis family works with out of state mafia. A visiting crime boss lends out a few mob goons to try and whack the shark. One of them is a little runt who sports loud Hawaiian wear.

A key moment features a helicopter with a guy who first drops a massive amount of meat in the ocean and then tries to kill it with a machine gun. When one of the pilots sees the shark at the top of the water he declares "we're gonna need a bigger helicopter." Another funny piece has a family of three vacationing and asking if they found the correct beach for the shark attacks. They even bring a picnic lunch.

Severin Films did a nice job with this piece of sea crap. I even paid several extra dollars for the Jaws 5 slipcover edition.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  10. indrid13

[​IMG]

Last night's films

Movie # 21:
    Devilfish (1984) (DVD)

Fun Jaws knock-off with unique monster (A sharktopus!) and a loopy conspiracy story. Lamberto Bava whipped this one out between A Blade in the Dark and Demons.

[​IMG]
    Movie # 22:
    The Game (1984) (DVD)

A little ways in and The Game (The Cold) gets weird and a bit dumb. It stays that way for it's runtime till the batshit crazy ending. Imagine Rob Zombie's 31 mashed up with the film Cheap Thrills and The Real World. The story involves three rich old coots offering a bunch of Fargo extras a million bucks if they can last the weekend in a closed resort. All the time watching the contestants and pulling pranks on them. Being that it was made in the early '80's, this could have turned into a low budget slasher. But since it's a Bill Rebane film, it's insane and makes little sense. I've seen this film a few times, I'm still not sure what the hell happened. Only Bill knows.

[​IMG]

Movie # 23:
    KillerSaurus (2015) (DVD)

At an hour and fourteen minutes, there's very little killer or saurus. What there is a lot of are three people traipsing around a warehouse and talking. Also, the end credits are nearly seven or eight minutes long. Awesome job!

11. KGBRadioMoskow

"I’m Devil Fish for Polident."

X-human and indrid13 like this.
  12. indrid13

HAHAHAHA!

13. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

October 12th: The Barge People

The Barge People.png

Two couples rent a barge, run afoul of some rural locals, and fall prey to a pack of flesh-eating mutants. What could go wrong? The director, Charlie Steeds, also helmed Escape from Cannibal Farm. I haven't watched that one, but look up the trailer on YouTube... Right down to the chainsaw-wielding maniac in a human skin mask, it looks like an unauthorized British version of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. Now, The Barge People, for all its trite dialogue and familiar wrong turn plot, doesn't steal quite so blatantly. One of the mutants bears more than a passing resemblance to the flukeman from the X-Files episode The Host, and the unsurprising plot twist reminded a bit of the slightly more effective French horror movie, La Meute. I did like the look of the mutants though, and there's plenty of splatter (though bodily injury is mostly hinted at by sprays of gore rather than actually being shown). It very much feels like an American horror movie shoe-horned into a British setting. The mutants kill for food. I always bought the idea of isolated people resorting to cannibalism in Wrong Turn or The Hills Have Eyes, because America is huge. England isn't. You'd think that if large numbers of people go missing in a relatively small area close to civilisation, someone in authority would start paying attention. Also, I don't see an English family being so desperate for food to risk such a diet. Surely there's a Tesco nearby.

14. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #17:
    Even the Wind Is Afraid (1968)
    First Time Viewing (Tubi)
    *** (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    11. ¿QUÉ ES UN “MURO FRONTERIZO”?: Watch anything from Mexico, Central or South America.

I had never heard of this one before looking up films that fit into this parameter, which is what's great about challenges like this. I ended up with an atmospheric ghost story with a lesbian subtext that repeats a lot of the same beats for the first 2/3rds before switching things up in an enjoyable way for the final 30.

CPT HOOK, Kim Bruun, Rocker10 and 5 others like this.
  15. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

MV5BMTMwNzIyMTY0MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzIzNjQ5MQ@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Haha this fucking movie.

I remember back in 2004, moved into my first apartment. I caught this trashy slasher at like 3am on Showtime. I laughed so hard, I had to find on dvd. I believe this was my first Amazon purchase ever......dvd of fucking Hatchetman. Hahahahaha.

It's been years since I revisited....I was in the mood for an early 2000s slasher so I pulled this out. Picture a Cinemax softcore porn......just minus a little of the sex and add some dude in a mask and hoodie killing a bunch of strippers. Atrocious acting, a ton of boobs, and a killer who cuts off his victims hands..... And I gotta tell you. This is why I remembered Hatchetman and bought.....it's my all time favorite killer's motive. When you learn why this person is killing people (again, mostly strippers) you will literally laugh out loud. I promise. It's so fucking ridiculous, I love it.

Pretty sure every female character shows their boobs. A who-dun-it low budget trash slasher from 2003. Catch it if that's your thing lol

16. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Tonight's viewing

Tremors: Shrieker Island

I wasn't a fan of cold day in hell and groaned when I saw they had done another one, but my wife likes them so I thought I would give it a go, and! I was pleasantly surprised. This is miles better than cold day. For one it's got a great setting, the production values are fairly decent, no Jamie Kennedy! I was not a fan of him in either of his entries and John Heder is much better, more balanced choice, there is a shrieker chainsaw battle that made me smile and an ending that I can't hint at as it will ruin it, but it surprised and was quite well handled.

On the downside the story is best ignored, some of the shots can be a bit iffy and if they had a bit more money we might have seen more of the monsters. Ow and the predator rip off was bad including sound effects. But for me the good outweighed the bad and I had fun with it.

Stay Home:

Didn't enjoy it in the slightest. It's good that it's only 15 minutes long, that and it ending were the only plus points for me.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  17. indrid13

Great review! Now I want to track down a copy.

NaturesMistake likes this.
  18. NaturesMistake

NaturesMistake Active Member

October 11

Hubie Halloween (Stream):

I present the scariest film listed in the thread thus far, lol.

This honestly felt a lot like Ernest Scared Stupid. The entire movie is drenched in Halloween which is cool, and there are tons of call outs to Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore for those that like those movies. It's funny at times and extremely stupid at other times. It was free on Netflix, what can I say? If you are in the mood for a silly, light hearted comedy with a lovingly created Halloween setting, you can do much worse.
    F650DB2C-A01A-4B36-A61B-3C29AC15D236.jpeg

19. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

The Shed BD
    Trick BD
    Open 24 Hours BD

The Shed is a decent vampire film about a vampire that takes refuge at a teenagers tool shed. The boy tries to warn others about it but of course they don't believe him and end up dead. I like the make-up effects in this and the gore is good. Trick is a slasher film with some crime drama thrown in. Pretty generic looking killer but had a couple of unique kills and a twist ending (which was kinda lame imo). Omar Epps, Tom Atkins and Jamie Kennedy star. Open 24 Hours was a pleasant surprise. A slasher that takes place at a grungy gas station. It's about a young woman that suffers from paranoia due to a tragic event from her past and takes a job at a gas station working the graveyard shift. The film has a nice dark look with good atmosphere. Blood and gore are well done.

Gates Of Darkness DVD (also streaming on Prime)
    The Assent Prime

Tobin Bell, John Savage and Adrienne Barbeau star in Gates Of Darkness. This is basically your typical possession film about a religious family with a dark past that catches up with them. The exorcism scene borrows a lot from the one in The Exorcist. I found the film to be a bit over dramatic as well. The Assent is another possession type film that had a lot of good things going for it. The acting, the look and the atmosphere were all great but I found it to be very boring and the story, while having some interesting ideas, was a bit convoluted.

Satanic Panic BD
    The Dead Don't Die BD

A pizza girl makes a delivery to a home in the rich part of town only to stumble across a Satanic ritual. The Satanist need a virgin to complete their ritual and discover that she fits the bill. Satanic Panic was an overall fun horror comedy filled with enough blood and campiness to keep me entertained. The scene with Jerry O'Connell was great. I'm probably alone on this one but I really like The Dead Don't Die. I even bought the vinyl soundtrack for the film. I like it's oddball characters and the quiet dry humor mixed in with the zombie/end of the world scenario.

Graveyard Shift BD
    Sleepwalkers BD

Two more Stephen King films to throw in the viewing thread. Graveyard Shift and Sleepwalkers would always be playing on HBO back in the day and I would always watch when they were on. Because of that, they have a soft spot in me. I can't watch one without watching the other. Not the best King films but I still find them to be fun.

20. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

Your review just remined me that I have this in my collection on dvd. I don't remember much of the film but I know I have it somewhere and that I need to watch it again. I just have to dig it out of the many storage tubs I keep most of my collection in. Thanks, I think.

indrid13 likes this.