The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2020!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 12

51. Hotel Of The Damned (2016) Prime - Grabbed a couple of downloads to watch today. After an accident, four people find an old abandoned hotel to take shelter un but is it really abandoned? In some ways I liked this one. I would have liked to have had a bit more in the way of story to bring it together. Kind of an action meets chud type of movie.

52. Mine Games (2012) Prime - I was getting into this one until a certain point. Then it hit me. There will be a spoiler below. After a vehicle breakdown, a group of freshly graduated college students find a place to hole up in and a mine in the general area that has some sinister things happening. If it wasn't so blatant (see spoiler) I would have liked it better.
    The twist was a complete ripoff of the 2009 film Triangle

53. Fright (1971) DVD - Pretty sure I have seen this before, but it had been a long time. A babysitter shows up to take care of a couples young son and creepy things start happening in the house. Thought this was kind of a fun film. Didn't really recognize anything like I had seen it before, but the DVD was opened.

54. StageFright (1987) DVD - The Michele Soavi film. A slasher that revolves around a dance rehearsal where the dancers are locked in the building and they don't realize that a killer is locked in with them. Pretty fun slasher movie that was more than likely a first time watch for me. The DVD was unopened although I have had it for a long time.

~Rocker10

2. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

So I always watch part 2 every year. It's my favourite of the series. But it wasn't enough so I watched #3. Still not enough, so on to #4. Still wanted more so I circled back to the first one. One of these days I need to rewatch Marked Ones and Ghost Dimension as well. But I guess not today. Maybe I'll even rewatch Tokyo Nights at some point.

3. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Nearly caught up. Ratings are out of ****.

10/7/20 - As Above, So Below (2014) ***
    An obsessive historical researcher leads a group of reluctant explorers into the Paris catacombs searching for the Philosopher's Stone. The enticement of fortune and enlightenment soon turns to a hopeless scramble to escape oblivion.

Underground Paris makes for an incredibly eerie setting, amply used here. Studio sets and embellishments seamlessly add to the labyrinth of tunnels, traps, secret doors, and arcane chambers. Driving the fear of what may lie ahead - or of having nowhere left to go.

The acting is competent, but soon after initial promising establishing shots with the lead the group forms, and the script gives way to fictionalized renditions of already pseudo-scripted reality TV personality types. The result is bickering, abrasiveness, and foot dragging dropped into a horror movie setting. Add in jump scares on shaky-cam (with the flawed no camera could be there or no camera man is around to be filming perspectives) and it’s a formula for something totally forgettable.

But the setting carries weight, and the flow of events overshadow the underdeveloped characters. The plot becomes more dark parable than realistic portrayal, enticing the imagination to seep into the film's fractures. When things wrap the viewer is naturally compelled to wonder about what happened, and what are the implications.

10/8/20 - Luther The Geek (1989) **1/2
    Immediately upon release from prison, a deranged killer warms up with a streak of bizarre and provoking behavior before settling in for good old fashioned demented murder.

Like the title circus act, this film is all low brow shocks. Delivered frequently and often devoid of purpose. Chickens get chopped, chickens get bit, chickens get skeet shot. Throats get chewed. The motivation, "just because". The acting, amateur hour. The plot, meandering.

And the character logic? Oh my...

You've got the worthlessly helpless daughter who exists only to show off her stunning sweater puppies. Her dumbass David Caruso stunt double looking boyfriend who didn't finish boinking his girlfriend, didn't finish whaling on the killer, and because he didn't finish either was himself finished. The dumb hick deputy who should have saved everyone time by shooting himself. Finally the mother, having the only hint of functional grey matter, who would have avoided everything if she'd locked ALL of her car doors. Somehow holding dominion over them is a chicken biting freak who is so stupid he is undone because he stopped to pack a lunch.

[​IMG]

What the film has going for it, is that it is thoroughly bent. And it pours it on almost non-stop. Looking like a gene splice of Clint Howard and Jonathan Banks the geek gnashes his way through hapless country folk (and chicken heads) with a killer set of metal false teeth. When he isn't killing, he's leering. When he isn't leering, he's clucking. When he isn't clucking, he's strutting. And when he's not on screen, everyone else is setting themselves up for the dinner bell. They would have had to film through a shattered camera lens for things to be more cracked.

10/9/20 - The White Reindeer (1952) **1/2
    Fed up with her new husband's lack of amorous interest, a woman in an Arctic village of reindeer herders seeks a shaman's aid to become irresistible to men. She gets her wish in the way she wants, and in another way that is lethal.

[​IMG]

This grim fable is an interesting take on vampirism and lycanthropy, but doesn't dwell on the details of either. It is mostly a symbolic affair, a flowing stream of evocative imagery and expressive movements leading the moody proceedings to an expected conclusion. The film's depth is what you read into it, the plot itself is simplistic. Where its strength lies are the visuals, and they are an engaging achievement.

4. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I'm so far behind on logging movies right now. But I shall catch up!! I shall overcome!!!

5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 10TH:

HUBIE.png

37.) Hubie Halloween (2020) (NetFlix) - This is an Adam Sandler Halloween movie made for NetFlix, and you get what you pay for I guess? I couldn't really tell you the plot of this movie, but it was set in Salem, Massachusetts and littered with Halloween decorations, so at least it was easy to look at. Adam Sandler is basically playing The Waterboy again, and his mom wears inappropriate shirts she buys for a quarter from the thrift store. It takes place on Halloween, and he's scared of things, and he runs around town while weird things happen. Then it sort of ends with a heart-warming message about not picking on him, and how he works to save the day even though everyone treats him like shit. Again, this one is all about the Halloween aesthetics. It doesn't really have much else to offer, except maybe the bizarre radio DJ cameo. By now, you should know what to expect from an Adam Sandler NetFlix movie, so there you go...

OCTOBER 11TH:

MONSTERLAND.png

38.) Monsterland Episodes 7 & 8 "Iron River, Michigan" & "Newark, New Jersey" (Hulu) - This completes the first season, and overall this was a terrible horror anthology series, where a majority of the stories are bland, depressing, and worst of all: boring. The one bright spot is the only worthwhile episode, which happened to be in this batch: "Iron River, Michigan". Directed by Desiree Akhavan, who made the terrific film The Miseducation Of Cameron Post, this episode begins with two high school girls discussing The Lumberjack Killer, a local serial killer who decapitates the pretty young women who set foot in the nearby woods. One of them wants to check out the woods for herself, while the other refuses and stays home. When the girl never returns from the woods, her friend lies about where she went. From here, we jump ahead 10 years later, where rumors are spreading of a body found in the woods that might belong to the girl, and the episode deals with how her "friend" is carrying that guilt. This is a surprisingly terrific episode, very entertaining, creative, and all-around well-done. The other episode here is about a couple who lost their child, and it's super blah and depressing like the rest of the series. It also serves as a sequel of sorts to the first episode. So overall, this series was pretty turgid, but "Iron River, Michigan" is well worth checking out. The other 7 episodes are a huge bore, and hopefully there isn't a second season so that I won't even be tempted.

39.) Eli Roth's History Of Horror Season 2 Episode 1 "Houses Of Hell" (DVR / AMC) - The AMC series is back, this time covering movies set in houses like Sinister, The Cabin In The Woods, House Of 1000 Corpses, etc. I have to say, it was pretty bizarre seeing fairly graphic clips from Last House On The Left on broadcast TV. For the most part, this just takes a handful of movies and narrates the plot for you. Of course, all of us here have seen every one of the movies they cover here, but it serves as a fun refresher I guess? Who knows, maybe it will introduce younger audiences to movies like Amityville Horror or Last House? As mentioned, most of the interviewees here are content to just narrate the plots of the chosen movies, but there are a few interviewees who were actually involved and have interesting things to say. The highlights in this episode are James Brolin on The Amityville Horror and Scott Derrickson on Sinister. This episode is brief and harmless, but there's not going to be anything here that shocks or surprises the more well-versed horror fans like ourselves.

CLEANSING.png

40.) The Cleansing Hour (2019) (SHUDDER) - Exorcism movies just aren't my thing. I find them dry, boring, and uneventful. This movie seems to know that genre takes itself way too seriously, and decided to shake things up a bit by being so dumb, silly, and over-the-top that you can't call it boring. Subtlety isn't its strong suit. Anyway, the movie is about an "exorcist" who is faking exorcisms online for clicks. When their actor doesn't show up, the producer's girlfriend steps in as one of the fake possessed clients... only she is possessed for real, and now this fake exorcist must perform a real exorcism or risk being outed to his internet audience as a fraud. Whether it's a game of naked hokey pokey, a demonic blow job, or just racing the keep the servers online as the bandwidth drops like the bomb timer in a Die Hard movie, there is always something ridiculous going on to keep things entertaining. There is also a Truman Show style aspect where we meet some of the audience watching from home and get to see their reactions, resulting in a terrific little pay-off at the end. This movie is dumb as hell, but I can't say I wasn't entertained.

OCTOBER 12TH:

ALONE.png

41.) Alone (2020) (VOD) - A woman who is devoid of any personality whatsoever is on a solo road trip, where she has several strange encounters with a creepy man who is also devoid of any personality whatsoever. He kidnaps her and brings her back to his cabin, where she escapes. From here, he stalks her through the woods. That's pretty much all there is to this movie, and it's about as devoid of thrills as these characters are of personality. This is about as generic as a thriller can get, doing the absolute bare minimum to constitute it as a thriller. It's tame, it's bland, and there's absolutely nothing in this movie you haven't seen done before in multiple other movies. I could see it fitting in on the Lifetime network. In defense of the movie, it looks nice. Great scenery. It reminded me of the also bland Let It Snow, whose best asset is also its scenery and doesn't have much else going on. Let It Snow is a better movie than this though.

Previous Entries:
    1.) Cabin By The Lake (2000)
    2.) Pet Sematary (1989)
    3.) Mercy Black (2019)
    4.) Nancy Drew Episodes 1 & 2 "Pilot" & "The Secret Of The Old Morgue"
    5.) Scare Me (2020)
    6.) Return To Cabin By The Lake (2001)
    7.) Monsterland Episodes 1 & 2 "Port Fourchon, Louisiana" & "Eugene, Oregon"
    8.) 12 Hour Shift (2020)
    9.) Nancy Drew Episodes 3 & 4 "The Curse Of The Dark Storm" & "The Haunted Ring"
    10.) Halloween Party (2019)
    11.) Let's Scare Julie (2020)
    12.) The Night Brings Charlie (1990)
    13.) Death Of Me (2020)
    14.) Vampires Vs. The Bronx (2020)
    15.) Nancy Drew Episodes 5 & 6 "The Case Of The Wayward Spirit" & "The Mystery Of Blackwood Lodge"
    16.) Do Not Reply (2019)
    17.) Halloween Pussy Trap Kill! Kill! (2017)
    18.) The Clown At Midnight (1998)
    19.) Monsterland Episodes 3 & 4 "New Orleans, Louisiana" & "New York, New York"
    20.) Nancy Drew Episodes 7 & 8 "The Tale Of The Fallen Sea Queen" & "The Path Of Shadows"
    21.) Lovecraft Country Episode 1 "Sundown"
    22.) The Dead Ones (2019)
    23.) Possession: Until Death Do You Part (1987)
    24.) Monsterland Episodes 5 & 6 "Plainfield, Illinois" & "Palacios, Texas"
    25.) Hosts (2020)
    26.) Phantom Of Death (1988)
    27.) The Walking Dead Season 10 Episode 16 "A Certain Doom"
    28.) The Walking Dead: World Beyond Episode 1 "Brave"
    29.) Spontaneous (2020)
    30.) Tales From The Hood 3 (2020)
    31.) Eerie, Indiana Disc One Episodes 1 - 3
    32.) Nancy Drew Episodes 9 & 10 "The Hidden Staircase" & "The Mark Of The Poisoner's Pearl"
    33.) The Masque Of The Red Death (1989)
    34.) The Locals (2003)
    35.) Books Of Blood (2020)
    36.) The Wolf Of Snow Hollow (2020)

6. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/12/2020

TENEBRAE (1982)

[​IMG]

American horror novelist Peter Neal (Anthony Franciosa) comes to Rome to promote his latest book Tenebrae, currently on the bestseller list for 12 weeks strong. There to ease his first visit to Italy are personal secretary Anne (Daria Nicolodi) and his agent Bullmer (John Saxon). Hours before his arrival, a young woman is viciously killed by a black gloved mystery killer using a straight razor just like in Neal's new book. Police Detective Giermani (Giuliano Gemma) wastes no time reaching out to the author in the hopes he might be able to assist in the case. The serial killer continues while the bad publicity brings out some vocal critics of Neal's literary works.

Regardless of where you rank Tenebrae among the gialli of Dario Argento, I have long considered this a first tier offering even though it never reaches the heights of Profondo Rosso a.k.a. Deep Red (1975). I never guessed the identity of the killer when first watching this many years ago. Like any well written stories, there are some red herrings to throw you off and keep you guessing. Tenebrae gets progressively gorier as the film goes on. It's no surprise this one made the UK Video Nasty list. The finale alone made sure of that.

Christopher Walken was strongly considered to play Peter Neal. That's a very interesting what-if scenario. Franciosa is invested in the role with perhaps more subtlety than Walken would have provided. Daria Nicolodi wasn't give one of her best characters this time, but is always a welcome presence in Argento cinema. Part of the reason for watching this now is the recent passing of John Saxon. He adds a quirky charm to Neal's agent and some potential complications to the increasingly complex mystery that unfolds.

Always enjoyed the synth heavy soundtrack of Tenebrae. Though not credited as Goblin, we have three members of the band providing some haunting electronic music that suits the movie very well.

7. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #18:
    Blood Quantum (2019)
    First Time Viewing (Shudder)
    **1/2 (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    12. THE FIRST WAVE: One made by an indigenous filmmaker or indigenous cast members.

Establishes the rules of an interesting zombie world via an exposition dump given to characters who would already know everything being told to them and soon after kicks off the climax with a moment I didn't buy at all.

8. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

October 12th
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

30) Dead Kids: Teenagers in a small, rural town are being kidnapped by a deranged scientist and turned into homicidal maniacs. I didn’t have any expectations with this and came away with not much. The film is an odd hybrid of slasher film and sci-fi body horror, often playing both ends against the middle and doing a so-so job at both. The acting is terrible – bouncing between too wooden or too hammy – and the pseudo-science mumbo jumbo was under cooked and silly. The kills and special effects were unintentionally hilarious, which kept me entertained, and the discount Dr. Strangelove, mad science was equally silly. There were a few moments that gave me the creeps
    A dude pisses blood
    but the overall film was bathed in mediocrity. One of the least impressive films of the Ozploitation era. (5/10)

31) Society: Billy, the black sheep of his affluent family, starts to worry his parents and sister are not who he thinks they are. “Society” is one of those films that has been on my must watch list forever and after watching it I’m kicking myself for not checking it out sooner. This is the right kind of whacky, 80’s weirdness that hits the sweet spot. The film plays out like a campier version of “They Live” filled with social commentary about classism and the elite. The story was more of a slow burn mystery, but when the shit hits the fan in the climax, it’s a wild ride. The special effects from Screaming Mad George are top notch, leaving me with a gross sticky feeling by the end of the film. The finale is a bit underwhelming, with no real conclusion, but does end on a rather funny quip. Easily one of the best films from Brian Yuzna as a director. (7/10)

**Both titles are available on Amazon Prime.

9. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

unnamed.jpg

Part 3, Urban Harvest has always been my favorite 'Corn sequel. I busted out the 9 film flipper dvd set I have that includes a couple Halloween sequels and most of the Corn flicks. I realized I hadn't watched part 2 since I was a kid. The only thing I remembered about it was the scene where an old lady gets crushed.....by her own house.

I had so much fun revisiting this. The Final Sacrifice is fucking bad ass!!! Practical gore throughout, hilarious 90s direct to video gold.

There's a scene inside a church with a sort of voodoo doll sequence......fucking amazing!!! This is a gore fest and again, so much fun.

chucky-brad-dourif-childs-play-2.jpg

I also watched the original Child's Play on blu ray. Always fun to revisit, still creepy as hell after all these years. Not much more to add that hasn't been said before. It's a classic for a reason.

10. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

15. Blood and Lace (Philip S. Gilbert, 1971)

[​IMG]

Gloria Grahame (aka Violet Bick from It's a Wonderful Life, aka Ado Annie from Oklahoma!) and Len Lesser (aka Uncle Leo from Seinfeld) run an orphanage-for-profit scheme that includes severed hands and frozen corpses. Poor Naomi Watts lookalike Melody Patterson moves in after the hammering death of her hooker mother, and is terrorized by nymphomaniac tweens and pizza-faced lumberjacks. Who killed her mother? What's Gloria Grahame hiding in the basement? What's the deal with the pizza-face guy? And what happened to that detective who disappeared halfway through? Worry not, all will be revealed in the sleazy conclusion.

Although not a good film, Blood and Lace is kind of fascinating in how it waffles back and forth between sleaze and soap opera theatrics, never fully committing to either one. Bizarre yet watchable, the deadpan delivery of the final reveal is a sight to behold.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  11. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    Day 12. THE FIRST WAVE: One made by an indigenous filmmaker or indigenous cast members.

Movie # 24
    Sweet Sixteen (1983) (DVD)

I'm kind of in love with Dana Kimmell's mystery reading, true crime loving character in this film.

[​IMG]

Movie # 25
    Zombex (2013) (DVD)

Written and directed by the lead singer of the band Captain Clegg, who appeared Rob Zombie's Halloween 2. The only good thing about this film is the cast, which features a few of Zombie's regulars.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  12. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Tonights viewing:

Spontaneous.

Get ready for the outrageous coming-of-age love story about growing up...and blowing up. When students in their school begin exploding (literally), seniors Mara and Dylan struggle to survive in a world where each moment may be their last.

This is why I like this thread you get recommendations and this is how I came to view this, this evening and with a premise like this I had to bite.

Like the previous reviewer noted it's not strictly horror but you do have people bursting so I think it can be added here!

I enjoyed it, the two leads were fantastic and I really believed their romance throughout. Their flirtation seemed free-flowing, natural and never scripted. It was sweet, it was melancholy, it had exploding people and a message quite poignant in our current times. Definitely glad I watched it.

13. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 13

Kind of busy today, so only 3.

55. The Invisible Ray (1936) Blu - Karloff plays a scientist in search of Radium X that ends up showing medical promise, but also starts other sinister things. Good combo of Karloff and Lugosi. Thought it was entertaining and for the year it was made, thought they did a pretty good job with the special effects.

56. Below (2002) DVD - Last time I watched this one was when the DVD was new. Didn't remember too much about it. It revolves around a submarine that resues a few survivors of a ship that was attacked by it during WWII. It takes a little bit, but eventually the mystery kicks in and things start getting more creepy. Not all that scary, but a fun movie that has plenty of action as well.

57. Hatchetman (2003) Prime - Took this one in based on Natas' writeup. Don't have much too add over that writeup, but did find it entertaining and a bit bombastic.

~Rocker10

14. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

16. Night of the Hunted (Jean Rollin, 1980)

[​IMG]

The Jean Rollin films I've seen all seem to feature the same elements: minimal dialogue, story, and action, but tons of atmosphere (and a lot of nudity). Night of the Hunted certainly checks off all of those boxes. There's not a whole lot to the movie, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. By the time you get to the ending, it's had a bit of a hypnotic effect on you, and the ending itself is quite good. So on the whole, another positive experience. Jean Rollin is like the Andrei Tarkovsky of low budget horror.

15. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

17. The Outer Limits S01E14: The Zanti Misfits (Leonard Horn, 1963)

[​IMG]

Some great stop-motion effects really make this episode. The aliens are a weird mix of creepy and ridiculous, and it kind of turns into something like Kingdom of the Spiders by the end. A decent story with good use of the Vasquez rock formation and a typically Outer Limits ironic ending.

18. Curse of the Undead (Edward Dein, 1959)

[​IMG]

Although the fiend in this film is not quite as "lustful" as the poster advertises, Curse of the Undead turned out to still have a lot going for it. It's certainly more western than it is horror, which means that the dispute over property and the heroine's search for retribution on the heel who killed her brother play a more prominent role than does the vampiric hired killer, but it still ends up a satisfying film. Despite not being the focus of the film, the horror elements never feel like they're getting short shrift. Michael Pate is quite good as the supernatural threat, and he's given some really good dialogue at times, which turns his vampire into a real character, rather than a 2-dimensional monster.

16. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Blood and Lace might not a technical or artistic masterpiece, but it's competent enough. The sleaze factor is part of the allure for me, and I have a thing for 70's proto-slashers. And Blood and Lace ranks among the best of those, IMO.

17. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I enjoyed it quite a bit as well, but the tone and pacing seemed pretty wonky. So many really talented people involved. Gloria Grahame is great, although by this point in her career the plastic surgery (while actually fairly tasteful in effect - she still looks quite pretty) is starting to take a toll on her ability to emote. But she's still a pleasure to watch on screen. Same with Len Lesser, who makes a good Sid Haig-esque villain. But look at one of the early scenes between Milton Selzer (the social worker) and Vic Tayback (the detective) in the bar where they talk about the hooker mother - they're both giving terrible readings! And these are both talented actors. Selzer was in Marnie and The Cincinnati Kid, and Tayback was in Bullitt! But for whatever reason, be it direction or script, the whole thing is just kind of bonkers. Entertaining as hell, but bonkers!

18. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

October 13th: Last House on Dead End Street

LastHouseonDeadEndStreet.jpg

I'd held off watching The Last House on Dead End Street for the longest time, figuring that Vinegar Syndrome would eventually deliver the ultimate viewing experience via Blu-ray. But VS is taking their sweet Synapse time with this one, and Joe Rubin has stated that it's "the most tedious restoration we've ever done." So, I figured I'd give it a spin. And man, this is one messed-up movie. Fresh-out-of-prison porno director Terry Hawkins sets out to create something new and different and assembles a small crew to make a snuff film. He suspects that some of his collaborators are out to steal his work, so he casts them as unwilling participants in his project. That's the plot, and it's obvious director Roger Watkins had a minimal budget to work with (famously spending $2,200 of the $3,000 budget on drugs). The result is a gritty semblance of a movie. Dialogue is dubbed, with many characters delivering their lines with their back to the camera or their mouth otherwise obscured (it's easier that way). The murders rank from the elaborate (the incredibly mean-spirited amputation scene above) to the very basic (Terry screaming and kicking at the camera to imply that he's stomping a man to death). The hideous high note is obviously the aforementioned amputation scene, where the poor woman passes out, only to be brought back to consciousness with smelling salt. It's a horrifying scene, and I couldn't quite work out why Terry felt this woman deserved a disproportionately crueler death than others. There are also some memorably eccentric touches, such as a woman in blackface being whipped and a Greek tragedy mask used in many of the killings. Last House on Dead End Street is part arthouse, part exploitation, and the sheer hysteria of the final 30 minutes transcends the tiny budget. I'm not sure I enjoyed it, but once Vinegar Syndrome releases their restoration, I will definitely want it in my collection.

19. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

19. Grave of the Vampire (John Hayes, 1972)

[​IMG]

This movie was quite the saga. Multiple generations go by in the span of 90 minutes, lead characters come and go, and by the time you get to the end, you've almost forgotten how it all started. That does make it a little difficult to develop any attachment to any of the players, but it also makes it unlike most of the other movies I've watched this month. Michael Pataki (who 6 years later would play the wonderfully named Michael Dracula in Zoltan...Hound of Dracula) here plays Caleb Croft, a no good, raping, murdering, and occasionally moldy vampire. William Smith (eventually) plays his son James ("I'm your SON!") who is determined to kill his old man. I expected this to be a little tame and stuffy, but in fact it ends up getting quite perverse and grisly at times. Loved the ending.

20. Bug (Jeannot Szwarc, 1975)

[​IMG]

Maybe this worked better as a book? At first it seems like it'll be a nature run amok/plague type film where a town and it's residents are threatened by a swarm of giant explosive beetles. But once the bugs come, they don't actually do too much. A few people die, but there's no sense of menace or urgency. Mostly the movie becomes about Bradford Dillman trying to find a way to keep them alive and make them reproduce, which seems like an odd choice. It takes a sharp turn with about 15 minutes to go, and suddenly it's really interesting, but then it doesn't actually do anything, and in the end it's just...over. A couple of great bug attack scenes go a long way to salvaging it, so I can't say I regret watching it...but it was a bit of a disappointment.

20. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

October 13th
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

32) Asylum: To gain employment at a mental asylum, a young psychiatrist must interview four patients who tell disturbing tales of madness and the macabre. Garnishing a positive reputation over the years, thanks to “Psycho” author Robert Bloch penning the script, “Asylum” is a quality selection of campy, gothic, British horror tales. Featuring stories of disembodied corpses, killer robot toys, Frankenstein monsters, and murderous psychopaths. The segments are all pretty entertaining, but my favorite might just be "Lucy Comes to Stay", featuring a fantastic performance from a young Charlotte Rampling. The wrap around is pretty straight forward, but the twist is something I saw coming during the first few minutes
    The head doctor at the asylum is a murderous lunatic.
    I thought this was unnecessary and doesn’t make any sense in context with the rest of the film. It also raises the question about who exactly Herbert Lom’s character was. A fun time killer if you like anthologies. (6/10)

33) Two Evil Eyes: Directors George A. Romero and Dario Argento present two classic tales from Edgar Allen Poe: “The Fact in the Case of Mr. Valdemar” and “The Black Cat”. A bizarre, clunky, and underwhelming attempt of an anthology from two masters of horror. This would have been better suited as a three to four story film as opposed to just two. Both segments are overly long and drawn out, and at two hours it is a real chore to sit through. Romero’s “… Case of Mr. Valdemar” feels like a bad segment in a “Creepshow” sequel, and Argento’s “Black Cat” is a sloppy, narrative mess. Adrienne Barbeau and Harvey Keitel do their best to carry their respective stories, but the execution and direction of both are mediocre. The film does boast some great cinematography and special effects, but the overall presentation is lacking. Disappointing when you consider the names involved. (5/10)

** "Asylum" is available on Amazon Prime. "Two Evil Eyes" is available on tubitv.