The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2020!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 21, 2020.

1. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Watched this for the challenge as well, but I'd completely disagree. There's a helluva lot more going on in Blood Quantum than just a zombie movie. It just uses the the genre as a device to talk about many many things about histories and struggles of First Nations peoples and Blood Quantum speaks to everything from colonization by settlers, stolen land, inter-generational trauma, Indigenous blood percentage, First Nations customs, fighting between Nations, etc. As a Canadian we're a little more aware of these issues, which Blood Quantum weaves in masterfully. The shift you're talking about with the climax is very personal to the truths and customs of First Nations peoples, and the movie doesn't force feed the audience to any of these small details and is an Indigenous horror film made for Indigenous audiences telling Indigenous stories, so if you're not versed in First Nations histories/customs a lot may be lost on those viewers, but that's why it also functions as a zombie flick which it's also incredibly fun at being. I loved it!

2. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

"The touching love story between a man and his cockroach."

Definitely an odd duck of a film, and overall not a very good one. But there are some decidedly wacked ideas going on here. Intelligent high pressure subterranean dwelling pyrotechnic cockroaches? Mad scientist infatuation with species cross breeding and perpetuation? Add in several memorable visuals - the bug in the phone, the swarm writing on the wall, the mass return to the fissure, the matricidal offspring, lots of stuff getting torched. There's a lot of fertile ground for an intriguing story, but the execution is a total mess. I really wanted this to be a better quality but still flawed film - because it could have sat next to the likes of Phase IV.

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Last House on the Left (1972)(HDNet Movies) - This was on HDNet at the end of summer. It's not a favorite of mine, only seen it twice I believe, but I was surprised such an infamous grindhouse classic was on a relatively respectable channel like HDNet so I DVR'd it. Then seeing it discussed on Eli Roth's History of Horror last weekend got me in the mood to watch it again. It's not a pleasant movie. I believe I saw a review in the 80s in Thrasher magazine of all places that recommended it "if you like watching a friend who has the dry heaves". That's a pretty accurate assessment. I also wondered what it was like in 1972 seeing something as nasty as this, especially compared to the mostly tame horror films of the day. For a movie where the "good guys" get revenge in the end, you're left with an awfully empty feeling when the credits roll (as compared to I Spit on Your Grave, which is also not a feel-good movie by any stretch of the imagination, you still get a "mission accomplished" feeling of relief at the end). I'm gonna have to consider adding this one to my collection at some point. It's certainly a thought-provoking movie, nearly 50 years after its release, and that sure says something.

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 13TH:

SAVE.png

42.) Save Yourselves! (2020) (Blu-ray) - A boring technology-addicted Brooklyn hipster couple decides to vacation at a friend's cabin in order to detach from their cellphones. Unbeknownst to them, an alien invasion happens when they're unplugged. So for half of the movie, they have no idea what is going on. Then for the other half of the movie, not a whole lot happens, but there are little Critter rip-offs rolling around they named Poofs, and the running gag is to see how many times the couple can say Poof. Then it just kind of ends with a pretty unremarkable non-ending. I imagine hipsters who live in Brooklyn will really enjoy this movie, because they might see themselves in these characters. For everyone else, this is kind of a talky bore. It's a bummer, because I liked Sunita Mani in the recently cancelled GLOW.

43.) Nancy Drew Episodes 11 & 12 "The Phantom Of Bonny Scot" & "The Lady Of Larkspur Lane" (HBO Max) - I'm running out of things to say about this show, except that it's very enjoyable. It's a consistent show, so there aren't really a lot of ups and downs in terms of episodes, although the cliffhanger in episode 12 leads me to believe the next episode will be a dream "it's all in her head" episode, and I hate when TV shows do that. Anyway, Nancy's dad is in prison, and the gang is working to take down the wealthy patriarch who sunk the Bonny Scot, a ship that went down and took 12 men with it. There's also a jail break, and Nancy sneaks into an asylum for clues. The season was cut short due to COVID-19, so I'm curious if all of the season's major mysteries will be wrapped up over the next six episodes. Fortunately, I think season 2 is now filming.

44.) Lovecraft Country Episode 2 "Whitey's On The Moon" (DVR / HBO) - This episode picks up right where the previous left off, but it couldn't be more different. In a way, both of these episodes were very self-contained, while keeping a through-line of these characters and their journey. I really like that, and hope the series continues with this format. It's almost like an anthology, maybe even as if you are reading a collection of Lovecraft's stories? Tony Goldwyn guest stars here, and he plans to use our lead Atticus in order to open a gateway to the Garden Of Eden. It's all very convoluted and out there, yet entirely accessible. Definitely nowhere near as strong as the premiere episode, but an engaging and fun hour of television nonetheless. Really digging this show so far.

FRIDAY.png

45.) Never Hike In The Snow (2020) + Here Comes The Night (2019) (YouTube) - Two of the Friday The 13th fan films littering YouTube. Never Hike Alone is considered one of the best Friday fan films, which is a bummer because it's pretty terrible. Never Hike In The Snow continues that streak of terribleness. If you've ever wanted to see a dull depressing Friday The 13th movie told through the perspective of the investigating cops and a grieving mother, then I suppose this is the Friday The 13th fan fiction for you. So misguided and awful. Here Comes The Night fares much better, being much more faithful to what the fans love about the series, yet also missing the mark in major ways. The fake '80s retro aesthetic is so forced and unnecessary, and Grindhouse "Feature Presentation" title was more '70s than '80s. Also, there's a misguided twist at the end ala Dr. Sartain in the new Halloween, although this one is fortunately less intrusive. That said, for the most part it delivers a decent little slasher movie in under 20 minutes, so as far as fan films go, it's fine. VASTLY superior to the terrible Never Hike movies.

BROIL.png

46.) Broil (2020) (Blu-Ray) - You know, I wish I could tell you what this movie was about, but I was so confused. I was kind of with it for the first half, but at a certain point it lost me and I was just gone. If you're expecting an outright horror movie, this is more in the style of Twilight where it's basically just a lot of family drama. There's a girl who might be a vampire but isn't really? They're kind of vague about what she is, but there's something supernatural about her. She goes to live with her grandfather, and her parents are acting strange. The parents hire an autistic chef who is actually a hitman, played by the kid from Jerry Maguire, to kill the grandfather. They all eat dinner and are double crossing each other. This is definitely a movie where no one knows what is going on except the screenwriter, who you can tell thinks his story is brilliant, yet it doesn't convey on the screen at all. It's because of that I failed to engage.

GOOSEBUMPS.png

47.) Goosebumps: The Blob That Ate Everyone (also includes episodes: Piano Lessons Can Be Murder & My Hairiest Adventure) (DVD) - I was always way more of an Are You Afraid Of The Dark fan, but since I've been through that series about a hundred times, I thought it might be fun to dig into the Goosebumps DVDs this time around. I had planned to start this earlier in the month, with hopes of finishing the series by Halloween, but got sidetracked so that probably isn't going to happen. Oh well, I can at least put a dent in them. In terms of the books, The Blob That Ate Everyone was a little after my time, but it's a pretty great episode. It's about two kids who find a typewriter, and whatever they type on it comes true... including the blob monster in the basement. This one ends maybe a little too abruptly, but it features a scene in a video store where the kid is about to rent Stepfather III shortly before the blob attacks. Up next is Piano Lessons Can Be Murder, directed by William Fruet of Killer Party, Funeral Home, Spasms, Death Weekend, etc. Kid moves into a new home and finds a piano, but is frequently woken up at night by a ghost playing the piano. He also starts taking piano lessons from Aron Tager, who played the iconic Dr. Vink in Are You Afraid Of The Dark. Another good episode, with the ghost and the severed hands being a bit creepy for a kid's show. Finally, the weakest of the bunch is My Hairiest Adventure, but it's still a fairly entertaining episode. A garage band finds a bottle of self-tanner, which results in hair growth and the belief that they are turning into dogs. Overall, I very much enjoyed these. There are episodes of this show I have seen a lot, and others I have barely seen, so it should be a fun mix of familiarity and newness going through.

OCTOBER 14TH:

SCOOBY.png

48.) Happy Halloween, Scooby-Doo! (2020) (DVD) - Earlier this year, Scoob! was released, intended to be a big theatrical Scooby-Doo feature. That movie ended up getting dumped to VOD anyway, and the movie itself was a low-point for the franchise, removing everything the fans love about the franchise and trying to turn it into some kind of lame ass super hero movie. Happy Halloween, Scooby-Doo! would have made a much better theatrical feature for the franchise, as it's a lot of fun and also faithful to what works about Scooby-Doo. It's got the Scooby gang, a mystery, fun-side characters, plus being set on Halloween gives it an added bonus. The mystery they are trying to solve involves floating pumpkins attacking the town, and I'm all about the Halloween aesthetics. We also get a small role for Bill Nye The Science Guy, and a fairly large role for Elvira Mistress Of The Dark. We even learn the secrets of her hair! I thought this was a lot of fun. I certainly haven't seen all of the Scooby-Doo movies, but of the ones I have seen, I would say this is one of the better ones, up there with the original Zombie Island. Good family entertainment for this time of year.

Previous Entries:
    1.) Cabin By The Lake (2000)
    2.) Pet Sematary (1989)
    3.) Mercy Black (2019)
    4.) Nancy Drew Episodes 1 & 2 "Pilot" & "The Secret Of The Old Morgue"
    5.) Scare Me (2020)
    6.) Return To Cabin By The Lake (2001)
    7.) Monsterland Episodes 1 & 2 "Port Fourchon, Louisiana" & "Eugene, Oregon"
    8.) 12 Hour Shift (2020)
    9.) Nancy Drew Episodes 3 & 4 "The Curse Of The Dark Storm" & "The Haunted Ring"
    10.) Halloween Party (2019)
    11.) Let's Scare Julie (2020)
    12.) The Night Brings Charlie (1990)
    13.) Death Of Me (2020)
    14.) Vampires Vs. The Bronx (2020)
    15.) Nancy Drew Episodes 5 & 6 "The Case Of The Wayward Spirit" & "The Mystery Of Blackwood Lodge"
    16.) Do Not Reply (2019)
    17.) Halloween Pussy Trap Kill! Kill! (2017)
    18.) The Clown At Midnight (1998)
    19.) Monsterland Episodes 3 & 4 "New Orleans, Louisiana" & "New York, New York"
    20.) Nancy Drew Episodes 7 & 8 "The Tale Of The Fallen Sea Queen" & "The Path Of Shadows"
    21.) Lovecraft Country Episode 1 "Sundown"
    22.) The Dead Ones (2019)
    23.) Possession: Until Death Do You Part (1987)
    24.) Monsterland Episodes 5 & 6 "Plainfield, Illinois" & "Palacios, Texas"
    25.) Hosts (2020)
    26.) Phantom Of Death (1988)
    27.) The Walking Dead Season 10 Episode 16 "A Certain Doom"
    28.) The Walking Dead: World Beyond Episode 1 "Brave"
    29.) Spontaneous (2020)
    30.) Tales From The Hood 3 (2020)
    31.) Eerie, Indiana Disc One Episodes 1 - 3
    32.) Nancy Drew Episodes 9 & 10 "The Hidden Staircase" & "The Mark Of The Poisoner's Pearl"
    33.) The Masque Of The Red Death (1989)
    34.) The Locals (2003)
    35.) Books Of Blood (2020)
    36.) The Wolf Of Snow Hollow (2020)
    37.) Hubie Halloween (2020)
    38.) Monsterland Episodes 7 & 8 "Iron River, Michigan" & "Newark, New Jersey"
    39.) Eli Roth's History Of Horror Season 2 Episode 1 "Houses Of Hell"
    40.) The Cleansing Hour (2019)
    41.) Alone (2020)

5. MorallySound

Sorry/not sorry for the massive first half of October watching post:

01st - October Madness No.01 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 01 - FAMILY TIME: Tired of seeing the same faces everyday? Look at a movie instead! Rated PG or less. Ease in to it.

[​IMG]
    Grave Secrets: The Legacy of Hilltop Drive (1992) Rewatch - Rating: 3/5

Made-for-TV movie that's "based on a true story" although most likely doubtful... Basically a Poltergeist-ripoff just substitute the Indian burial ground with an African American burial ground, add some TV-quality family drama, and some fun cheap effects and you have Grave Secrets. Far more enjoyable than it should be.

02nd - October Madness No.02

[​IMG]
    Frankenstein's Kung-Fu Monster (1975) - Rating: 3.5/5

Tawianese Kamen Rider ripoff with lots of fun rubber monsters, goofy action-set-pieces, and a diabolical villain. Fun!

02nd - October Madness No.03 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 02 - SLUMBER PARTY: Watch one with a sleepover in it.

[​IMG]
    Slumber Party Massacre II (1987) Rewatch - Rating: 2.5/5

Very loosely tied-in sequel, the Driller Killer from the first film is back... but re-incarnated as a much younger guitar-drill wielding rockabilly nightmare! Dumb teenagers in a dumb plot being killed off by a dumb killer with an enormously dumb weapon. Brainless horror fun, but definitely not as fun as I remember it being on first time watch...

03rd - October Madness No.04 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 03 - STOCKED UP: When you're in it for the long haul, you're gonna need supplies. Watch something with a supply run in it.

[​IMG]
    Zaat (1971) Rewatch - Rating: 2.5/5

Florida educational filmmakers make monster movie with evil scientist turned monster catfish! And yes, it's as ham-fisted as it sounds! Big dumb, cheap fun, and we have the catfishman attempt a supply run for medicine and supplies as he ram-shackles a pharmacy (wearing tennis shoes if you've seen this in the unmatted full frame transfer) after getting stabbed.

04th - October Madness No.05 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 04 - HUNKERED DOWN: One with recluses, shut-ins, or people locked inside their homes.

[​IMG]
    Skull: A Night of Terror! (aka Don't Turn Out the Light) (1988) Rewatch - Rating: 3/5

Some freshly prison-broke sociopaths lead by a bald-headed eye-patch-wearin' baddie named Skull trap a family inside their Ontario farmhouse and wreak havoc, but they don't know the police man father/husband to the trap-ees is outside, armoured, and about to pick them off one-by-one. This low-budget, not-on-disc Canuxploitation home invasion action-thriller needs an HD restoration stat!

05th - October Madness No.06 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 05 - GOING POSTAL: Something involving the postal service or shipping or getting a delivery. #savetheUSPS

[​IMG]
    Offerings (1988) Rewatch - Rating: 2.5/5

Cheap Halloween ripoff where a bunch of kids who pushed a disturbed kid down a well get their comeuppance after he escapes the mental asylum 10 years later, and he starts delivering their body parts to the girl who tried to save him to her doorstep. Includes him delivering them a pizza topped with human meat!

06th - October Madness No.07 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 06 - POLL PLOT: One that involves elections and/or voting. *government not required

[​IMG]
    Prom Night (1980) Rewatch - Rating: 3.5/5

Classic Canuxploitation entry into the early slasher wave. Not only do you have an interesting side red herring plot that is both ridiculous and credulous, but some great performances, writing, editing, and of course disco! While after viewing I realized they decided the Prom king and queen prior to the time frame of the movie screen time, still counts as it's discussed in the film.

07th - October Madness No.08 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 07 - THEY'RE OUT TO GET YOU: One with heavy paranoia (real or imagined).

[​IMG]
    The Fear Inside (1992) - Rating: 2/5

An agoraphobic children's book illustrator rents out a spare room in her mansion to two unstable psychopaths on the run, but can she face her fears and escape the house and houseguests? Late night TV suspense thriller with some over the top performances from Dylan McDermott and Jennifer Rubin, but a lackluster overall tale. Does go a little bonkers in the end, but overall very so-so.

08th - October Madness No.09 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 08 - EQUAL SLICE: One where women get top billing.

[​IMG]
    The Wind (2018) - Rating: 3/5

A woman battles the harshness and isolation of the frontier on cursed land in New Mexico, but when new neighbours move into a new homestead a mile away things get even more (in)tense. Beautifully shot horror-western with some solid performances and a fresh female-focused perspective (women directing, producing, writing, editing, and starring in the leads), although the story overall is not wholly original and something we've seen before in the genre.

09th - October Madness No.10 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 09 - OG NETWORK: See something made after 2010 with no visible cell phones. No texting while watching this one!

[​IMG]
    The Barn (2016) - Rating: 3/5

A demon miner, scarecrow, and jack-o-lantern terrorize a small town after a Halloween legend is brought back to life after some teenagers knock on a local cursed barn. For a low-to-no-budget DIY indie horror flick, The Barn is a blast! Sure, the writing and story are not great but it goes for broke in the gore and providing that '80s throwback, and is just a hoot to watch! It may pack in more than it can handle, but it's worth the time.

09th - October Madness No.11

[​IMG]
    The Craft (1996) Rewatch - Rating: 3/5

Very '90s teen supernatural horror outing where a few cast members would go to appear in Wes Craven's Scream which would premiere at the end of the same year for a double-dose of box office horror. Definitely plays and feels the time period with the grungy MTV post-rock soundtrack, fashion, teen angst, and style. The Craft is a witch-y good time, and is a little better than I remembered it being from my last viewing. While the upcoming sequel/reboot appears to copy the same story beats, I'll still check it out.

10th - October Madness No.12 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 10 - PLASTIQUE VIVANT: Mannequins are creepy enough standing still but what happens when they come to life?

[​IMG]
    Tourist Trap (1972) Rewatch - Rating: 4/5

Tourist Trap is easily the best film Charles Band's name is associated with, this early Band production from future Full Moon's Puppet Master director David Schmoeller is a grim, creepy, and exceptionally crafty horror film that far outdoes its PG rating! Combining the rural and grim uncertainty of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, a supernatural twist, some genuine unnerving scares and horror-set-pieces, and a command performance from Chuck Conners, Tourist Trap is a near-perfect horror film oasis to get trapped in... just beware those mannequins!

11th - October Madness No.13 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 11 - ¿QUÉ ES UN MURO FRONTERIZO?: Watch anything from Mexico, Central or South America.

[​IMG]
    Ladrones de tumbas (Grave Robbers) (1989) - Rating: 3.5/5

This was a pleasant surprise! A well-crafted Friday the 13th-by-way-of-Mexico slasher that has it all! Likeable and unlikable teenagers, an isolated setting (a graveyard/crypt), an undead and decaying unstoppable slaughterhouse, and lots of gratuitous gore and inventive kills! I cannot wait to dive into VS's other Rubén Galindo, Jr's offering Cemetery of Terror when it arrives in my next package, as well as the other future Mexi-horror offerings!

11th - October Madness No.14

[​IMG]
    Herschell Gordon Lewis' BloodMania (2017) - Rating: 0.5/5

This Canadian-made anthology is absolutely and utterly garbage! Four short films loosely connected by Lewis himself as the wrap-around device, each short film is atrociously amateur by even the lowest direct-to-video/no budget digital horror standards. Chock full of unmixed in-camera audio and horrible performances by non-actors, this "movie" that was originally started as a failed Kickstarter crowdfunder then paid up the bucks to have Lewis added and got him to direct two shorts so they could fill the run time to feature length. While a lot of Lewis' own features are Z-grade and terrible they at least have the distinction of appearing as films. Even the Godfather of Gore can't save this train-wreck despite his shorts have somewhat witty humour as the only saving grace to this complete piece of shit. Sure it's got gore, but none of the blood split can save this absolutely unwatchable excuse for a movie. It pains me deeply to think this is Lewis' swan song before he passed away... AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

12th - October Madness No.15

[​IMG]
    The 11th Commandment (1987) - Rating: 2.5/5

From the director of I Dismember Mama, The 11th Commandment is a soap opera horror film about greed, family secrets, and murder! Bernard White and the young Lauren Woodland's chemistry together as the escaped mental paitent and his 9-year-old kidnapped cousin is incredible, and there's some quality twists especially in the final act, but the film itself is a bit too talky and slower paced and really has that TV soap opeara flavour that just didn't entice me enough to really like it all that much.

12th - October Madness No.16 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 12 - THE FIRST WAVE: One made by an Indigenous filmmaker or Indigenous cast members.

[​IMG]
    Blood Quantum (2019) - Rating: 4/5

As a big fan of Jeff Barnaby's deeply unsettling residential school horror film Rhymes for Young Ghouls, I was very much looking forward to his take on an Indigenous lensed zombie film and Blood Quantum does not dissapoint! On the surface it contains all the gorey goods and story beats of the best zombie epics, but Blood Quantum has so much going on under the surface dealing with a myriad of issues dissecting the trials, tribulations, struggles, and histories of First Nations peoples; talking about colonialization, blood quantum laws, fighting between Nations, inter-generational trauma, and many other issues that need to be discussed and learned about. As with Rhymes there is so much to unpack in this film. Absolutely loved it!

12th - October Madness No.17

[​IMG]
    Blood Freak (1972) Rewatch - Rating: 3/5

It's Canadian Thanksgiving up here, so why not celebrate with the world's only turkey-monster-anti-drug-pro-Jesus-gore-film! A Something Weird Video classic, Blood Freak is an insane Floridian nightmare chock stuffed full of all the fixin's that feels like a lost H.G. Lewis or William Grefe epic! Gobble gobble!

13th - October Madness No.18 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 13 - OPEN SOAR: This one should focus on flying or aviation somehow.

[​IMG]
    Tail Sting (2001) - Rating: 2/5

A flight from Austalia to L.A. has more than turbulence to worry about when some cargo is jostled unleashing genetically engineered giant scorpions on the airplane! Incredibly cheap early-2000's creature feature complete with minimal cast, stereotypical (and not-so-stereotypical) characters, shoddy camera work and special effects, and all the pre-9/11 airplane glee you can cram in. Sure it's pretty damn terrible, but at least it's kinda fun if you're buckled up with it!

6. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

THANK YOU, dave13 - I went straight to DiabolikDVD and ordered this because of your mini review! I loved Michael Pataki in Dream No Evil, and here he is in another slice of 70's regional horror... I should have gotten this long ago.

7. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Tonight's movie

Fear Pharm

Four people enter a corn maze for Halloween and are picked off one by one by the twisted family who own the scare attraction.

Wow that was bad, I'm a sucker for a chainsaw, and it's because it featured prominently on the poster art I was drawn to this, and while said chainsaw does feature nothing really cones of it.

The so called 'story' is terrible, acting is terrible, no logic, some of the characters decisions are down tight stupid, it's light on gore and what is there is sub par with horrendous CGI.

Plus points it was only 79 mins. And the ending made me smile because of how awful it was! That's it I'm afraid. Do yourself a favour stay well away.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  8. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Awesome! I hope you enjoy it. Let us know what you think of it.

NaturesMistake and indrid13 like this.
  9. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    Day 13. OPEN SOAR: This one should focus on flying or aviation somehow.

Movie # 26:
    Sole Survivor (1984) (DVD)

One of my all time favorite horror films. There's something about this movie. The characters. The atmosphere. The score. The sense of dread. Reminds me of two other horror films I love. It Follows and Let's Scare Jessica to Death.

10. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Friday the 13th Parts 1&2 (from the new set).

I know these like the back of my hand, but I never noticed in part 1 at the beginning when Annie is walking up to the red gas pump you can see (very subtle) the camera shift focus as she comes in to the field of view. I love stuff like that.

11. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I'm sure there is subtext I missed, but my disappointment mainly came from the way the story was told, not what it was about, if that makes sense. I was trying not to spoil it earlier, but the moment that didn't work for me involved a character who should've already been dead from blood loss knifing someone and turning into a one-note uber villain. I didn't mention it before, but along those same script lines I was also not a fan of the comedy in the film. The serious meditation on a culture's history didn't mix well with shit, dick, and period blood gags for me.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    NaturesMistake and indrid13 like this.
  12. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/13/2020

ASYLUM OF SATAN (1972)

[​IMG]

"In need of a rest" Lucina Martin (Carla Borelli) checks herself into General Hospital one evening. Upon waking up, she finds herself transferred to Pleasant Hills Sanitarium. A long way from its glory years, this center resembles a haunted house both outside and inside. Most of the patients wear white cloaks and hoods, not exactly skilled at human interaction. Dr. Specter (Charles Kissinger) is running the joint along with a questionable staff of medical professionals including a transvestite head nurse that shouldn't fool anyone. Lucina's regular doctor transferred her to the care of Specter who diagnoses her as having gone through a complete mental breakdown. Such therapy is going to take an extended time. Porsche driving fiancé Chris (Nick Jolley, a poor man's Rob Reiner as Michael "Meathead" Stivic) loves to wear plaid suits, but he loves Lucina even more. Pleasant Hills unfortunately has strict policies to enforce when it comes to visitors.

Asylum of Satan is the follow-up to director William Girdler's debut Three on a Meathook (1972). Starting with modestly budgeted regional productions in his home state of Kentucky, he graduated to bigger budgeted B movies with name stars. Asylum of Satan is rough around the edges and elsewhere too, clearly made for little more than a petty cash box figure. Some of the patient therapy may remind you a bit of Conal Cochran in Halloween III and how he rewards top sales staff. Asylum tries out such stunts on pocket change. Kissinger would appear in most of Girdler's films and seems to be having fun wearing a paste-on goatee and a host of character quirks.

I dug into my old Something Weird DVD catalog for this spin. Would certainly welcome a Blu-ray upgrade from AGFA or Vinegar Syndrome as it seems best suited to their catalogs.

DAY OF THE ANIMALS (1977)

[​IMG]

News reports circulate about ozone layer depletion having far ranging effects such as all wildlife turning dangerously aggressive. As a result, high elevations above 5,000 feet are under evacuation. A large group of tourists didn't get the memo and are taken via helicopters deep into the mountains of Northern California with their tour guide Steve Buckner (Christopher George). Paying for a two week hike are among others: a former football player (Paul Mantee), TV reporter (Lynda Day George), a science professor (Richard Jaeckel), and a belligerent advertising executive named Paul Jenson (Leslie Nielsen). Very little goes well. Pretty much the entire animal kingdom is gunning for them and any other unfortunate souls lost in the wilderness. Making matters worse, the scheduled food drops from additional helicopters become sabotaged, leaving a very hangry group of humans. What else could possibly go wrong?

Day of the Animals was the next to last film from director William Girdler. Shortly before The Manitou (1978) hit theaters, he was killed in a helicopter crash. Certainly not in the top tier of animal attack horror productions, Day of the Animals is one of the more outlandish offerings in this subgenre. Birds of prey, mountain lions, bears, snakes, wild dogs and more are unleashed in this crazy premise about the dangers of an excessively polluted environment. Leslie Nielsen's villain never had sensitivity training. His white collar character wastes no time insulting everyone between racial slurs, taunting the hired help, repeatedly calling a mother/son "Beverly Hills bitch" and "cockroach kid" respectively. The question is raised as to whether or not certain humans can be affected like the animals? All signs point to yes when
    Jenson (Nielsen) targets a young couple, impales the boyfriend, rapes the girlfriend, and wrestles a fucking grizzly bear!

Christopher and Lynda Day George were a great husband and wife acting team in their B horror movies together. Michael Ansara is a more grounded Native American figure this time. He is seen in The Manitou with a medicine man's bag of tricks and a really bad wig.

Day of the Animals pushes the trash factor over script quality. William Girdler's very own Grizzly (1976) did it better for example. Not even going into the more famous films in this vein at the moment. For cinematic junk food though, you could do a lot worse...

13. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 14

58. Crawl (2019) Prime - Been curious about this one for a bit, but hadn't watched it until today. Seeing Sam Raimi's name associated with it has to help in some way. The movie takes place during a hurricane and things go way downhill from there. It's a fun film that has some flaws, but if you go in just looking to have fun, you might like it. Visually, it looks really good, the effects and such.

59. I See You (2019) Prime - I hadn't seen Helen Hunt in anything for a long time. I don't watch a lot of modern day stuff and that's probably why. This was an odd film. Lots of twists. It's hard to really describe due to the way it's put together. IMDB has it as action/crime/horror. Anyway, I liked it, but not as much as I thought I might upon its description.

60. Friday The 13th (1980) Blu - Obviously not my first time with this film. I took in the theatrical cut for this viewing. Everyone here will be so knowledgeable that I don't feel the need to try to add anything. It's a classic and looks really good in the new Scream Factory box. It's too bad the QC suffered so much for so many. Hopefully the rectify some of the issues soon.

61. Friday The 13th Part 2 (1981) Blu - Jumped right into the second movie as well. Another good outing that once again I can't add anything to. This one looks good as well. I will probably try to make my way through this box set. Unfortunately it might be to make sure there aren't additional problems. As things do get taken care of, this will end up being a really nice set.

~Rocker10

14. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

October 14th
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

34) How to Make a Monster: A special effects artist uses his monstrous creations to exact revenge on the studio personnel that fired him. Serving as a deranged love letter to film making, and a big middle finger to studio politics, “How to Make a Monster” is a real outliner of 1950’s B-movies. A lot of the quirks for films of the time period are present here – stoic acting, exposition heavy dialogue, overly dramatic score – so you have to take them or leave them. The means by which the make-up artist commits his revenge is pretty silly as well (his make-up effects puts the two actors wearing it under hypnosis and are under his control). I was also a bit disappointed with the lack of monster mayhem, with the film playing out more like a film noir than a horror movie. But I was surprised at the climax of the film when it transitions from B&W to color, which really brought things home and put into perspective how much of a lunatic Robert H. Harris was. Not quite the monster mash I was expecting, but still entertaining schlock for 75 minutes. (6/10)

35) From Hell it Came: A prince is wrongly executed and returns from the dead as a killer tree stump. The eye catching name and poster art aside, “From Hell it Came” is a snooze fest for the first 40 minutes or so, focusing on the tribal natives (which are just white people in Hawaiian shorts, which was both absurd and hilarious) and a romance angle between two scientists. There is also a really annoying Australian woman who constantly uses the phrase “bloomin” at nauseum. The film drags its feet, padding the screen time with junk science, voodoo silliness, and acting more wooden than the monster in the film (It also didn’t help matters that the audio/video presentation was horrendous). When we finally get to the action, oh my god is the monster in this hilarious looking. It was obvious from the jump the person inside the custom couldn’t see a damn thing by the way it awkwardly shuffled around. It’s really the final few minutes with the creature that salvages this sorry excuse of a monster movie, and nothing else. It’s pretty terrible across the board. (4/10)

** "How to Make a Monster" is available on Amazon Prime. "From Hell it Came" is available on tubitv.

15. MorallySound

14th - October Madness No.19

[​IMG]
    Fist of the North Star (1995) Rewatch - Rating: 2/5

They'd never make this movie today this way as it's completely white-washed, but doesn't help that this US live-action adaptation of a Japanese manga/anime is just a general mess. Loaded with big name (and not-so-big-but-big-at-the-time) actors and directed by Tony Randel (Hellbound: Hellraiser II) this post-apocalyptic action martial-arts extravaganza has the distinction of being loaded with lots of gore and aerial blood spray, but still appears absolutely butchered in the editing room as it feels cut down and sloppily pasted back together to make it palatable for North American audiences.

14th - October Madness No.20 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 14 - THE MONSTER MILE: One about cars or racing.

[​IMG]
    The Cars That Ate Paris (1974) - Rating: 3.5/5

Peter Weir's (Picnic at Hanging Rock) breakout feature is a weird mishmash of genres, combining a present-day western plot with elements of dark comedy, horror, and weaponized vehicles that pre-date Roger Corman's Death Race 2000 by a year. When out of work Arthur and his brother get in a late night car wreck outside of the small town of Paris, Australia, causing the death of the brother, Arthur is stuck in the sleepy town where something sinister is going on involving population control. The film is definitely not a straight up horror film, but does have some set-pieces and elements of the genre, but this definitely would appeal to the midnight movie crowd as it's a heady trip.

16. Dave

Dave Pimp

I watched these first two recently as well. Also from the new set. They were always my least favorite as a kid. No Jason and no hockey mask Jason. I haven't seen the original in ages. This time around I find myself enjoying the two immensely. They have grown on me a lot as an adult. Great flicks.

17. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Amen.

Also - I watched the extended kills on the Part 2 Disc of the Friday the 13th from the reel of the FX guy. Part of it is because I have seen these so many times I know the beats, the feel of the sequences but I'm glad they were trimmed. The icepick with Alice and the spear kill with Sandra & Jeffrey were just so mean-spirited and rough. Again, its probably because I know them so well... but damn. Came off as really rough.

18. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Ah, F13 Pt 2 is a favorite, if only for the brisk pace. You take out the flashbacks from the original and Alice's demise, and the running length of the film barely exceeds an hour.

19. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    Day 14. THE MONSTER MILE: One about cars or racing.

Movie # 27:
    Highwaymen (2004) (DVD)

For whatever reason I have soft spot for this film. While nor as good as Robert Harmon's other serial killer on the road flick, The Hitcher, there's some great practical effects stunts. The story is a pretty straight forward revenge story. The serial killer would be right at home in the cult from Crash. Hell, I think I'll head cannon that.

[​IMG]

Movie # 28:
    Dahmer (2002) (Bluray)

Ever thought: "I'd sure like to see the Avengers' Hawkeye roofie and then butt-rape some dudes." Well, this film has you covered. This was an really well executed look at a serial killer. I was expecting something more graphic, the film shows a surprising amount of restraint when it comes to the murders and aftermath. Renner was fantastic. Loved the overall gritty feel of the film.

20. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 15

62. Funeral Home (1980) Prime - This movie was a bit rough to watch due to the quality of the stream. Audio seemed muffled and resolution was pretty crappy. Thought I was watching this on a TV from 1980. Anyway, decent enough movie that can be a bit slow and has a made for TV quality to it. A funeral home is converted to a bed and breakfast and people start turning up dead. It would be interesting to watch with a better version.

63. Nightmare Weekend (1986) Blu - Used to watch a lot of Troma Team stuff back in the late 80's. This one is about a female scientist using a computer to turn females into killer mutants. This movie, while entertaining because it is so bad, is just a mess. The horror elements took a backseat to the nudity and sex and made it feel more like a softcore porn film. The horror elements were pretty goofy too. Vinegar Syndrome really offers some oddballs.

64. The Evil Dead (1981) Blu - Probably my favorite trilogy in the horror genre. I remembered hunting these movies down which wasn't easy back when DVD was young. Then these movies got 'Anchor Bay'd' meaning released over and over again. Just an absolutely crazy movie only outdone by part 2 which is my favorite of the three,

65. The Mad Doctor Of Market Street (1942) Blu - Interesting movie that has Lionel Atwill playing a doctor who's experiments basically force him to leave San Francisco. After having to leave the ship he was on due to a fire, he ends up on a tropical island where he takes control of the population of natives. The characters are likable and the movie was a short one at just over an hour in length. Fitting ending as well.

~Rocker10